PICTURE: Matteo’s Dream Float in the Rose Parade in Pasadena

January 1, 2014 12:32 pm · 16 comments

mateos_dream

In case you missed it, here’s a screenshot of the Matteo’s Dream float from TV-36′s broadcast of today’s Rose Parade in Pasadena.

Concord resident and playground visionary Liz Lamach was on the float along with Christian Campbell, a 17-year-old Concord boy with cerebral palsy, and his mother Kausha King.

Lamach was behind the 2007 building of Concord’s “Matteo’s Dream” playground, a play area developed so that children such as her severely disabled son Matteo could have somewhere to safely play.

RELATED STORY: Concord: “All-Abilities” Playground to be Featured in Today’s Rose Bowl Parade

{ 16 comments }

1 ClayDen January 1, 2014 at 12:45 PM

Thanks for the photo. I refused to watch the parade due to the float with the homosexual “marriage” that was in the parade. I’m sure many others missed this float for the same reason.

2 SK January 1, 2014 at 12:46 PM

I saw the float! Watched the whole parade, waiting to see it. The float looked really nice, but I was disappointed that the announcers did not mention that the playground was located in Concord. Job well done to all who worked on the float!

3 Pro Fi January 1, 2014 at 12:47 PM

WOW! Thanks Mr. Mayor… teared up a bit. What a wonderful representation of our community!

4 VDS January 1, 2014 at 1:18 PM

It was beautiful & won an award!!!

5 shygurl January 1, 2014 at 2:37 PM

I helped build matteo’s dream park on april 23 ’07. While it was hard work it was worth every blister , smashed thumb, every drop of sweat! Such a wonderful idea & so good for kids of all abilities. I’m sorry I missed the parade today. Great job people!

6 JWB January 1, 2014 at 2:54 PM

@ClayDen that it is understable that you couldn’t watch the parade, would have been too tempting for you to see a gay couple. Better keep your secret whishes bottled up.

7 ClayDen January 1, 2014 at 3:48 PM

@JWB

I didn’t watch it to send a message to the broadcasters and their advertisers. I do NOT have any “secret wishes.” I love my wife of over 42 years and am a happy heterosexual. Maybe you are the one with “secret wishes.”

8 gbh January 1, 2014 at 4:01 PM

Thanks very much for capturing and sharing the picture!! I watched the parade 3 times and tried to get a good look at that float. It went by very fast, and with little detailed information. Thank Goodness they did mention the story behind the playground, but would have been nice if they had told as much about the volunteers and Lions Club and the work that went into it and location in Concord – and less about the “fluff” stuff that was on floats that preceded Matteo’s Dream float. Maybe someone could get our local news carriers – Channel 7 (|Dan Ashley) and Channels 2 and 4 to expand on this. I realize the parade could only be televised from 8 to 10, but really disappointed Matteo’s float didn’t get more coverage. Thanks again!!

9 JWB January 1, 2014 at 4:42 PM

@ClayDen if you were happy why would you worry what others do. And by the way I don’t think that the broadcasters cared whether you watched or not.

I enjoyed the parade and particular Matteo’s float. Well done!!!

10 Always Right January 1, 2014 at 5:12 PM

I agree with ClayDen. I like the Matteo’s Dream FLoat. A wonderful project all the way around.

Sad that it had to be in the same parade as that shameful AIDS float pushing the gay marriage agenda on our children and grandchildren.

Maybe the Rose Parade organizers will have an “A&E moment” and go back to a 100% family friendly assembly of floats next year.

11 Aimless January 1, 2014 at 6:02 PM

These anti-gay comments are so ironic considering that Matteo’s Dream was conceived, spearheaded, and largely fund-raised by Matteo’s two moms (of of whom was riding on the float today).

Matteo’s Dream is an amazing play area – thanks to all of you who put your blood, sweat and tears into it, sooooooooo appreciated by us hundreds of special needs families. This playground is so state-of-the-art it has served as a model for similar playgrounds all over the United States – nice little feather in the City of Concord’s cap!

12 Anon January 1, 2014 at 6:22 PM

Where in concord is it?

13 Jerk January 1, 2014 at 6:39 PM

If one is Pro-Heterosexual, does that therefore make them Anti-Gay?

14 Park Guy January 1, 2014 at 6:54 PM

Hillcrest Park.

15 Antler January 1, 2014 at 7:57 PM

Councilperson Laura Hoffmeister also rode on the Matteo’s Dream float today.

16 csb January 1, 2014 at 11:34 PM

This was such a wonderful and generous action on behalf of the Lions organization and all those that volunteered. Shame on the City of Concord for not creating more public awareness of the parade float for this day. It’s amazing to me the people not familiar with this park and the beautiful story behind it!