Immigrant Advocates Look Forward to “Trust Act” Taking Effect in 2014

January 1, 2014 16:00 pm · 78 comments

Immigrant rights advocates are lauding a new California law taking effect today that will limit the criteria by which a local law enforcement agency can comply with federal deportation hold requests.

The Trust Act, introduced by state Assemblyman Tom Ammiano, D-San Francisco, was signed by Gov. Jerry Brown in October and takes effect in the new year.

Under the new statewide law, only those convicted of a serious or violent felony can be subject to deportation hold requests by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

The law comes in response to Secure Communities, an ICE program in which a person’s fingerprints are run through a federal database to determine their immigration status.

Once the person is eligible for release from custody, ICE requests that local law enforcement hold those who are found to be undocumented so deportation proceedings can commence.

Immigrant advocates say the program has led to the deportation of tens of thousands of undocumented immigrants in California since 2009, the majority of whom had minor convictions or were cleared of wrongdoing.

Jon Rodney from the California Immigrant Policy Center said the Trust Act will help to restore undocumented immigrants’ faith in their local law enforcement and keep more families together.

“Many victims and witnesses to crimes are getting swept up in this deportation dragnet,” Rodney said. “By creating this minimum standard across the state, we will see less deportations and more confidence in local law enforcement.”

He said some Bay Area counties like San Francisco and Santa Clara have gone beyond the Trust Act to implement even stronger restrictions regarding the immigration holds.

“The more separation between local police and ICE, the better,” Rodney said.

Gov. Brown initially vetoed an earlier version of the Trust Act in 2012, saying it prevented law enforcement from holding someone for deportation even if they had a serious criminal past.

In the amended legislation that passed the Legislature and was signed by the governor, those who are convicted of serious or violent felonies like sexual abuse, drug trafficking and gang-related offenses are eligible for the ICE holds.

Brown said in a statement after signing the legislation on Oct. 5, “While Washington waffles on immigration, California’s forging ahead. I’m not waiting.”

© 2014 by Bay City News, Inc. — Republication, Rebroadcast or any other Reuse without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.

{ 78 comments }

1 Frito Bandito January 1, 2014 at 4:11 PM

Viva El Reconquista!

2 KenInConcord January 1, 2014 at 4:13 PM

I think I will start this new sensitive and politically correct year by going down to Wells Fargo bank and making a undocumented withdrawal!

3 Me January 1, 2014 at 4:43 PM

If you are Canadian you are booted out ASAP back to Canada when your visa runs out or they find you are here illegally. And other races of people here illegally are not? Why is this? Why such a blatant double standard if you are Hispanic or Canadian? Votes? BTW we did it legally. And paid for it. And had to go through the INS ringer. Why should others get a free ride because they are of another race or place or origin?

4 ClayDen January 1, 2014 at 4:55 PM

So, their first act upon entering the country was to break a Federal Law. But that’s OK in California. What am I missing here???????

5 California Nightmare January 1, 2014 at 5:00 PM

Brown and his Democrat colleagues are destroying California.

The immigrants we want to keep in this country are those who are law abiding citizens. Any immigration reform will exclude people with criminal backgrounds. That is a given. So what is the point of hiding criminals from deportation here in California ?

Why oh why would we want to keep illegal alien burglars, car thieves, identity thieves, or those who destroy or steal government property in this country?

Can any Democrat defend this? Have you ALL lost your minds?

6 Scrooge January 1, 2014 at 5:08 PM

This is further BS enacted by Ammiano from SF, along with his transgender law. If a person is here illegally, he/she should be deported no matter how serious the crime. What is it that these asses don’t understand about the word ILLEGAL?

7 mutts January 1, 2014 at 5:15 PM

I think pro illegals should mentor one illegal, give him/her a weekly check, loan their car out to an illegal and give their job to an illegal. After all, this is what illegals are working towards. Ammiano…put your money where your mouth is.

8 Eddie spaghetti January 1, 2014 at 5:16 PM

I used to work in construction and worked with a lot of illegals and their attitudes are such BS. It’s the same socialist attitude that is sweeping across this country and is what will destroy it.

9 anon January 1, 2014 at 5:18 PM

This needs to be opened up to include burglaries, fraud and other crimes where people are harmed.

10 WTF January 1, 2014 at 5:18 PM

I thought all felonies were pretty serious. Now, who’s going to decide which ones warrant deportation? And when they say that many of the deported were cleared of wrongdoing, I call BS. Sneaking into this country illegally IS wrongdoing, and I doubt they were cleared of that.

It’s ridiculous that being in the country illegally is not, in itself, reason for deportation.

11 Jerk January 1, 2014 at 5:35 PM

JOKE

12 unknown January 1, 2014 at 5:39 PM

California: If you like your “illegal”, you can keep your “illegal”, period.

13 Anon January 1, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Why is anyone fighting to keep illegal aliens in this country?

14 Elwood January 1, 2014 at 5:44 PM

“Immigrant advocates say the program has led to the deportation of tens of thousands of undocumented immigrants in California since 2009″

I say hurrah! Herd ‘em up, load ‘em up, head ‘em out! Adios, mofos!

15 Amy January 1, 2014 at 5:45 PM

Assembly “person” Tom Ammiano is a freak. Too bad conservatives weren’t there to vote against him. Send your children to private school so they won’t have to go to the restroom and have a horrifying experience. As for illegals, they are all criminals anyway and have more rights then the rest of us now.

16 Sign of the times January 1, 2014 at 5:51 PM

Empower the minority and ignore the majority.

Government purposely turning over the asylum to the freaks and expecting everyone else to be tolerant.

17 funny man January 1, 2014 at 6:05 PM

0.o http://i.imgur.com/f1wIZK3.jpg
now the mayor is jus trollin the teapotty trolls

18 Former Law-Guy January 1, 2014 at 6:09 PM

Here is an example of what can/will happen now: Undocumented Immigrant with 3 prior felony convictions for auto theft; 2 prior convictions for check fraud/ID theft; and 1 prior conviction for felony spousal abuse. This fellow beats up his wife again, and when a neighbor calls 911 he flees and steals a car and then leads police on a high speed chase during which he totals 4 other cars. Guess what; he has not committed a “serious or violent” felony as set forth in Cal. Penal Code section 1192.7(serious) or 667.5(c)(violent). Under Cal’s new law, Cal jails cannot hold him after his sentence is complete for ICE to pick up. I worked in law enf. for a long time in this state and what is described above will happen somewhere in this state daily. It is time to leave.

19 IEatBabyUnicorns January 1, 2014 at 6:10 PM

How is this good for Americans?

And what about my faith in law enforcement? They’re not enforcing our laws.

20 Anonymous January 1, 2014 at 6:12 PM

How about a DUI or two, no problem, amigo, stick around, in fact have another Cerveza or two.

21 lg January 1, 2014 at 6:18 PM

And Ammaniano introduced the bill to let school children use any restroom they want at school, based on “sexual identity” that takes effect tomorrow! The liberal progressives are sure making PROGRESS!!! Pretty sick, in my opinion!!!!

22 Anon January 1, 2014 at 6:22 PM

Worthless democrats

23 MadMom January 1, 2014 at 6:23 PM

All of you must find it hard to see with such narrow vision :p

24 claycordian January 1, 2014 at 6:42 PM

So it’s called the “Trust Act”? How are we supposed to trust these illegals who have already broken out trust by breaking our laws?

25 Julio January 1, 2014 at 6:45 PM

If you are here illegally period, you should be gone. Too many people of all nationalities have come here LEGALLY and paid a whole huge amount of money they couldn’t afford. They did it RIGHT and it is the only way that should be allowed.

Jerry and Tom and all the rest of you bleeding hearts need your heads examined. The two of them cannot get out of office fast enough. For God’s sake be careful who you vote for.

26 Anonymous January 1, 2014 at 6:54 PM

Good old Mad Mom. friend of the phantoms. Interesting all of us are so stupid and shes is soooo smart

27 Gus January 1, 2014 at 6:55 PM

“Serious felony”

Lesson, always smile for your mug shot.

28 @Eddie spaghetti January 1, 2014 at 7:06 PM

My experience was exactly the opposite. The vast majority of what I assumed were illegal’s were hard working and were not looking for a handout. In fact, most embraced capitalism more than those born in the U.S. Notice who’s looking work work in front of Home Depot for a good example of a group of people not looking for a handout.

29 IEatBabyUnicorns January 1, 2014 at 7:38 PM

I believe loitering is against the law #29.
But hey, only citizens are expected to obey the law.

30 IEatBabyUnicorns January 1, 2014 at 7:40 PM

Come to think of it, I believe our tax dollars were spent to build undocumented immigrants their very own employment center to prevent said loitering.

31 Exit strategy January 1, 2014 at 8:35 PM

Just spent some quality time with the wife discussing New Years Resolution – How and when to leave California.

BTW …. I have employed over 50 people in CCC for nearly 20 years.

I’m conservative. You liberals can fend for yourselves. Good luck. I’ll be hiring new employees in a conservative free state where I can keep what I earn.

32 mutts January 1, 2014 at 8:41 PM

Hey mad mom, these illegals are using our resources, too. Think about that when water rationing starts. Get your head out of the sand.

33 Beth Amphetamine January 1, 2014 at 8:54 PM

You should be able to drive 15 mph over the speed limit, run stop signs, shoplift items under $500 and punch random people in the face. Those are not felonies so we should be able to do ‘em whenever we want!

34 Safety Second January 1, 2014 at 9:08 PM

PEOPLE, our whore/career politicians keep screwing us while Rome (i.e. California) burns. We have nearly $1trillion in unfunded public sector pensions and Democrat controlled cities continue to rot (2 murders last night in Oakland). The voters of California are absolute idiots!

35 BCuzItzClaycord January 1, 2014 at 9:23 PM

And this why California has become the laughing stock of the country.

36 NoMoreFreeRide January 1, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Am I wrong or are undocumented immigrants the same as illegal aliens? Call a spade a spade! Next year it will be “maybe undocumented immigrants”. Don’t you have to be legally here to be an immigrant? I thought so.

37 California Nightmare January 1, 2014 at 9:50 PM

Well, 36 posts so far and no Democrat has even attempted to defend this absurd law.

Message to my Democrat neighbors and friends: The Democrat party is no longer the party of FDR and JFK. It is the party of corrupt government unions, pandering politicians, socialists, and people-hating environmentalists.

38 Ghoonsquad January 1, 2014 at 10:20 PM

I’m just wondering when crossing our borders illegally stopped being a serious crime?

39 Lifelong Democrat January 1, 2014 at 10:46 PM

Suck it up repubs we are going to capture the Hispanic vote for the next 100 years, and there is nothing you can do about it!

40 DEY TOOK AR JERBS!!!! January 1, 2014 at 11:35 PM

rabble rabble rabble

41 Laura Zah January 1, 2014 at 11:40 PM

#40 stupidest post of 2014… so far.

42 @40 January 2, 2014 at 12:05 AM

You are dead wrong. Time will tell.

43 stupid comments/ignorant people January 2, 2014 at 1:04 AM

I do not agree that it has to be a serious felony but they shouldnt be deported, well not all. It is hard to say who to deport, but just deporting all is something that will hurt this country. Believe it or not immigration is balancing the economy better than other things in this country. Its good and bad. And many immigrants are hard workers, my dad was one of them, he worked his ass off to give my sister and i a better life. Im not saying all immigrants are great citizens but they arent bad either. Making rude comments just proves why many countries dislike americans. But just like they see us they dont see the good in other americans who are hardworkers and great citizens. Just saying.

44 WTF January 2, 2014 at 4:44 AM

How long until illegals are given voting rights? I’m sure that’s coming soon.

45 Willis January 2, 2014 at 7:02 AM

Impeach Brown now! Let’s strop “waffling around”. I’m sick of this. WE ARE NOT MEXICO.

46 Grouchy Face January 2, 2014 at 7:05 AM

#40, You’re not a Democrat. You’re a Republican troll.

47 The Mamba January 2, 2014 at 7:32 AM

Illegal immigration is such an interesting topic because you have these politicians falling over themselves to cater to the Hispanic vote by trying to pass laws to protect them, but then you can’t find anyone in the rest of the hard working, law abiding public that understands why our country should be bending over backwards for people that are coming here illegally. Whatever, we live in the age where passing an “Affordable Care Act” means most hardworking, contributing people are paying twice as much for health insurance as what they had last year. This government doesn’t represent me.

48 Frank C. January 2, 2014 at 8:24 AM

@#40…,

Another one who spouts the party line and can’t think for himself…..

49 @#40 January 2, 2014 at 10:12 AM

You’re obviously a troll. No Democrat would actually have the guts to come out and say what they’re all really thinking.

50 I'm poster 40 January 2, 2014 at 10:27 AM

And you republicans crack me up. We own the Hispanic vote and plan to keep it. Keep talking about artificial borders and deporting people committing minor criminal acts and we keep winning.

Some one talked about deporting people who don’t stop right away for the cops or through economic adversity find themselves taking property that belongs to some rich person. We should never declare war on those people who found themselves born in the wrong place.

Another thing repubs don’t get is that protecting our transgendered children by granting them equal access is simply the right thing to do. I am grateful to Susan Bonilla and Mark DeSaulnier for recognizing this.Both are true progressives. They may be a bit in front of their constituents(especially conservatives) but the public will catch up.

51 Betty January 2, 2014 at 10:36 AM

Ok, all you guys complain about illegal immigrants don’t forget no of us belong here this is the country of native American Indians we are all immigrants not only because you are white with green and blue eyes make you better,I do agree some should not be here,specially women in welfare,what you guys don’t know,the government give illegal aliens a ID number like a ss number to file and pay taxes,if it weren’t be for the illegal.people it won’t be druid and vegetables at the grocery store they work so hard and do all the work for the minimum wages white people won’t do,all of you complain but you guys hire them to work for you and do what you can’t do

52 Idiocracy January 2, 2014 at 11:38 AM

Thanks #52 and #51 your both examples of what I call Retards. I say we enforce current laws and for once our citizens pick a date and rally to every area where these illegals dwell (monument) and do the governments job and oust those without proper paperwork. If the Gov cant do it then we should … It might get ugly but we can start a movement back to Accountability and economic growth if we cut the fat and leeches (corrupt progressive’s)

53 Idiocracy January 2, 2014 at 11:40 AM

COCT Force – Citizens of California Task Force . . . . . . Paid to clean Cali up and backed by Law enforcement

54 Connie Dobbs January 2, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Congratulations, #40. Make sure you keep the receipt.

55 Liz January 2, 2014 at 12:11 PM

All of you are acting like animals acting so by racial is so stupid we are all humans in the end of the day we all die rich poor white black Asian hispanic go to the same hole on the grown,I am proud to be a Mexican I give my blood and red cells for free to save American lifes,and I hope races people like you carry my Mexican blood and red cells,when I donate part of me you guys don’t ask if I am a us citizen,I a illegal alien?? Is all about convenience right??

56 Shirley January 2, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Most of you posting on this story help to assure that life here is a 3rd class experience for even legal immigrants.

57 The Mamba January 2, 2014 at 1:10 PM

Liz, did you go to school in Claycord? Yowza.

58 Atticus Thraxx January 2, 2014 at 1:16 PM

Though I’m no authority on the matter,
punctuation would help your impassioned plea Liz. As it is, it’s unreadable and I fear your call for tolerance will go unheard. Plus it’s annoying.

59 Silva January 2, 2014 at 1:38 PM

@Atticus; it took me a few times reading, but she makes great points. Perfect example of the quality of public education in Caliifornia these days. Or maybe, English isn’t Liz’s first language, in which case she did a good job writing her post.

60 California Nightmare January 2, 2014 at 1:41 PM

@Liz

You are right. Mexicans, Europeans, Blacks are all human beings and
share the same destiny and dignity. That does not mean we can ignore laws, which is exactly what this piece of junk legislation does.

I respect the human rights of all people, including those here illegally – but illegals have no “right” to violate American law, including immigration law. Hopefully the immigration laws will be reformed, but until that happens, we should all play by the rules.

61 Realist January 2, 2014 at 2:13 PM

>>minimum standard across the state, we will see less deportations<<

Dumb it down so lawbreakers can more easily get away? Only in taxifornia.

All I need to know about illegals and WHY they SHOULD go is this: They Crossed The Border With Intent To Defraud. They ARE stealing our jobs, we've all seen it. Americans would do those jobs, but not for the chump change the illegals will work for.

62 Elwood January 2, 2014 at 2:52 PM

I can’t decide which species of dimmiecrat true believer fool I like better, the retards or the illiterates.

63 @Realist January 2, 2014 at 3:18 PM

Don’t kid yourself, Americans ARE doing plenty of jobs for chump change, and if thy WON’T do them, they’re not being stolen, are they?

64 @Elwood January 2, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Nobody cares.

65 Liz January 2, 2014 at 3:38 PM

No,I never went to school in Clayton I went to a private school in treat Blvd,I never went to school to learn English and I just want to make it clear no mexicans stealing the jobs,jobs are every where no one has competition with illegal aliens,if they have jobs even when they don’t speak english is because they are hungry and have responsibilities,we don’t go around beging for spear chance like Americans,if Americans have no jobs is because jobs don’t come to them you have to look nothing is easy in life,you have to fight and make sacrifices to improve your life

66 Silva January 2, 2014 at 4:01 PM

I stand corrected.

67 Not PC ever January 2, 2014 at 5:12 PM

@@Realist – No citizen will work for $5 or $6 hr. unless they are truly desperate, but no employer will hire them because, as citizens, they can sue for a fair wage.

All illegals need to go. ALL of them. He\she is right about that. I also have NO respect for any criminal, no matter how warm & fuzzy you make these cretins out to be.

13,000,000 unemployed citizens. 12,000,000 employed illegals. You do the math. If we dumped them all over the border like we should, the unemployment problem in this country would almost disappear.

68 Anonymous January 2, 2014 at 9:49 PM

Liz,
Is it OK with you for anyone who wants to come here, to come. No laws, no restrictions?.

Because if its OK you better learn Chinese.

69 Anon January 2, 2014 at 11:44 PM

It is sad to see all of the people standing up for these low life illegal aliens cowards, who flee there homes because they are too afraid to fix the problems there. So now those like assembly “person” T.A. have decided helping them is the only way to clear his conscience for all the things he is guilty of in life. God help all of you who believe law breakers have rights, because when the illegal aliens come for you…

70 Atticus Thraxx January 3, 2014 at 9:19 AM

Ain’t you precious. Low life cowards? You mean like when you post crap like that under Anon instead of posting under your usual name? Either too lazy or too stupid to spell anonymous? STFU Redneck loser.

71 Keith January 3, 2014 at 9:26 AM

@ Liz-67

If you went to private school, you didn’t learn much. (In Treat Blvd.?)

I’d ask for my money back.

72 @Anon #71 January 3, 2014 at 11:05 AM

Doncha just love how people invoke God’s name when spewing their brand of hate and intolerance?

73 Liz January 3, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Keith,,,ask for your money back??? My family paid big money not you,,,have you ever heard about carondelet and the la salle???? Maybe not because your mother was taking welfare to feed you,I moved to this country when I was 16, if you say I didn’t learn??? Well I graduated maybe you didn’t finish junior high, you didn’t learn at home how to be a good person just to hate people you must be so poor inside your heart,because from when I come from we have pride and dignity we don’t hate like you do,if you ever need food and shelter I won’t denied that to you because that’s not how I was race,I feel sorry for you,I really do,you must be a complete loser

74 @Liz January 3, 2014 at 11:58 AM

If there’s so much pride and dignity where you come from, why are millions of people sneaking over the border to come here. And I agree with the others. If you graduated from Carondelet, you’re not exactly a glowing endorsement of that school.

75 Trevbo January 3, 2014 at 12:50 PM

I don’t know how this surprises anybody. There will be complete amnesty before the 2016 election, probably before 2014 the way Repubs are pushing for it. Democrats would rather rule over a declined and collapsing country/state than protect what made us great in the first place. They intend to win elections even if it means destroying the population through regulation, fiat or bureaucracy. The American citizen is a sucker, especially the ones still working or paying taxes. Want to know your future? Look at the collapsing nations across Europe who had open borders and multiculturalism embedded in their societies. Our collapse will be much worse, but those of us who are self sufficient will be fine. It’s the welfare class and dependents who always riot in the streets while they starve to death waiting for another hand out. And all this self-inflicted misery will happen under the guise of “compassion” while our rulers live like kings. Suck it up serfs, only gets worse from here.

76 Gruey Scrambuey January 3, 2014 at 5:09 PM

What part of “illegal” don’t you understand? What a load of crap…….

77 @Liz January 3, 2014 at 6:37 PM

What Kieth meant was if he were in your position, having paid good money for a private school education and ended up graduating from high school unable to spell or properly use puctuation or use and understand bacic English, he would ask for his money back.

78 fedup January 3, 2014 at 6:44 PM

here here to the comments lauding this new act as insane. crime is already off the hook.I dont care what ethnic group one is …all are represented. to not even be legally documented and committing crimes against citizens here and then know u will be allowed to stay is a golden handshake to the petty but perhaps ambitious illegal criminals. hey, how about adding into the bill that the illegal will keep status but be registered to pay state and federal taxes and/or serve 500 hrs of community service to the city where the crime was perpetrated? Good Grief…if ever we needed a Baseline of repercussions, this is it. Typical politicians and legislators…shortsighted when it comes to the ramifications on taxpayers and the law abiding people.The intent seems to be to cut costs of deportation. well done . what do we anticipate the future costs to the rest of us might be as a result? I guess we will find out directly.