BART Fares Increasing 5% Starting Today

January 1, 2014 10:56 am · 17 comments

BART passengers are going to pay more for a ride in 2014, as fares are set to increase around five percent starting today.

The fare hike, which is expected to average an extra 19 cents per ride, will help pay for new train cars, a new train control system, and improvements to a maintenance facility in Hayward that will help support future BART expansion to the South Bay, according to spokeswoman Alicia Trost.

“We understand no one wants to pay higher fares but riders should know this money can only be spent on these identified projects, which will benefit passengers,” Trost said in a statement.

The minimum BART fare, which was at $1.75, will rise to $1.85. The increase, which takes effect this morning, is part of an ”inflation-based” increase schedule that has been in effect for a decade, and is expected to raise around $325 million over the next six years, Trost said.

BART’s last fare increase was in July 2012.

{ 17 comments }

1 Jerk January 1, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Gotta pay for their Raise and 6 weeks PAID Family Medical Leave.
Did you think the Board of Directors was going to take a pay cut??? BWAAAAAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 Momo January 1, 2014 at 11:43 AM

When Bart first started running, a friend and i used to get on bart for 60 cents and ride all the way to daly city and back. As long as we didn’t go out of the station. Lol. We thought we were so cool.

3 Miguel January 1, 2014 at 12:00 PM

Nobody likes fare hikes, but it’s the cost of doing business.

4 The Authority January 1, 2014 at 12:08 PM

They ultimately didn’t get 6 weeks PAID Family Medical Leave, but why let the facts get in the way of some good snark?

5 Dorothy January 1, 2014 at 12:11 PM

BART put increase fares on automatic so they wouldn’t have to face the public anymore. The automatic increases usually start in June or July don’t they? And I think this one was voted for without public input?

6 Anonymous January 1, 2014 at 12:34 PM

Some of the fare increase will go to salaries , part of which will go to donations to DeSaulnier and Bonilla which will be used to campaign and get voters to vote for them, The voters will then see fares raise again, to…
All one big circle , doncha know?

7 concordian January 1, 2014 at 1:41 PM

I wish this would go to fix the trains and towards the system maintenance. But this is just a wish. I guess this would just subsidize their salaries and pensions. Alas!

8 Mark January 1, 2014 at 1:52 PM

Cut wages and lower fares.

9 Julio January 1, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Another joke on us by the bart board. Do not re-elect any of these worthless board members. NONE

10 Teacher Wannabe January 1, 2014 at 7:23 PM

@Anonymous & concordian. Obviously you can write, but can’t read. Didn’t see what Alicia Trost said?
“We understand no one wants to pay higher fares but riders should know this money can only be spent on these identified projects, which will benefit passengers,” That means new train cars, a control system and maintanence yard. Not salaries, political contibutions, or anything else.

11 Frank C. January 1, 2014 at 8:10 PM

@#10…

And you believe what the representatives of a public agency told you???

I have a bridge to sell you…..

12 anonanonagain January 1, 2014 at 9:10 PM

Bart has a surplus of funds that is supposed to go towards the new trains. I am sure that some of that is being dibbed into to pay for the ridiculous pensions and benefits that BART employees already have. Raising the fares was going to be the next step in stringing along the public to pay for all these changes……

13 Common Sense January 2, 2014 at 12:03 AM

@ Teacher Wannabe. “We understand no one wants to pay higher fares but riders should know this money can only be spent on these identified projects, which will benefit passengers,” That means new train cars, a control system and maintenance yard. Not salaries, political contributions, or anything else.

This is Political speek for “LIE’…..btw

14 joy January 2, 2014 at 1:19 AM

My fare went up 55 cents each way! I hate Bart!

15 jon January 2, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Are people really complaining about a 5% increase? Really? Are you homeless?

16 joy January 3, 2014 at 11:23 AM

@jon yes we are complaining. That extra 55 cents means an extra $400 a year on top of the $3000 I already spend. And for people that live paycheck to paycheck it does hurt them. Especially the people coming from the East Bay because our fares are higher. 5% on a $10 fare is more than 5% on a $5 fare. Do the math.

17 John January 3, 2014 at 1:53 PM

In 1979 and 1980 I use to take Bart occassionally from Daly City to S.F. I lived in Pacifica and so I had to drive to Daly City and park there at the Bart Station which was free. It saved me approximately 1\2 hr to an hour of driving time, about 15 miles. You know if you have ever driven in the morning work hour rush. What a pain in the neck. Plus all the wasted fuel, tickets for double parking or parking to long in a 2 hr parking area. It got pretty expensive to drive to work and frustrating. I moved to Walnut Creek later in 1979 and tried the drive again. This time coming from the East Bay. It was no different. The back up at the tunnels and then again in Oakland just about 2 miles before the Bay Bridge. Plus this time I had to pay $.75 each day to drive over the bridge. So I again starting taking Bart which was a lot closer to my home. I dont recall exactly how much it was, but I believe it cost around $1.75. Which saved me quit a bit in gas. Not only did bart save me money in gas, miles on my truck and time, it also helped me to stay in shape. Because it stopped at Battery and Market and I worked on Sansomes street on the other side of Broadway for Maximillian. A fine company who always treated me good. Any way I will be willing to say that even with a 5% increase it will probably still save people money to ride bart. Think of all the time, fuel, miles on your vehicle, sitting and waiting on the freeway just to move 25 feet, parking tickets, etc. If I could afford to live in Pacifica or Walnut creek I and worked in S.F. I would still be taking Bart. I can’t believe after all these years it still runs as effiiecent as it does. Thanks for the good memories and all the people that I met as a young man riding your train.