The Water Cooler – The West Coast or the East Coast New Year’s Celebration?

December 31, 2013 12:00 pm · 22 comments

The “Water Cooler” is a feature on Claycord.com where we ask you a question or provide a topic, and you talk about it!

The “Water Cooler” will be up Monday-Friday in the noon hour.

Do you celebrate the East Coast New Year’s at 9pm (our time) and then go to bed, or do you stay up until midnight on the West Coast to celebrate?

Talk about it….

{ 22 comments }

1 Dorothy December 31, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Since I don’t live on the East Cost there is no reason for me to go to bed at 9 PM! Besides, what with the racket that goes on at midnight our time how could I sleep?

2 Dee December 31, 2013 at 12:23 PM

We watch the East and stay up for ours too but we do it from home. Go out to an early dinner and then back home. Way too many crazies out there Plus if I want to have a couple drinks I can with no worries

3 ClayDen December 31, 2013 at 12:38 PM

I watch it on Pacific time, but then I’m usually up past midnight most nights anyway.

4 Fo real y'all December 31, 2013 at 12:45 PM

” THE LEFT COAST IS, THE BEST COAST”

5 Nymous December 31, 2013 at 12:50 PM

No. I celebrate when it’s 12 midnight in Asia which is almost one day ahead of us. I don’t celebrate the New Year on California time where I live (please make sure your sarcasm detector is on).

6 Concord Guy December 31, 2013 at 1:05 PM

I’m just going to take the Little Lady out to Olive Garden, order a bottle of Andre and toast in the New Year there!

7 I'm The Urban Spaceman December 31, 2013 at 1:14 PM

I watched the celebration from Dubai at Noon…world’s biggest fireworks display…quite spectacular.

8 Law Dog December 31, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Neither…. I really don’t understand why it is celebrated. What is the fundamental purpose of celebrating this particular event?

Why not hold a funeral for the year 2013?

9 Julio December 31, 2013 at 1:28 PM

At my age I’m lucky to be able to stay awake until 9pm. LOL

10 Pro Fi December 31, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Call the Family on the Right Coast at 8:45… usually asleep by 10.

11 RK December 31, 2013 at 1:43 PM

We have fun watching new year all around the world, including east coast , eat, drink and have fun until pacific time new year.

12 @8 Law Dog December 31, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Gee,, you sound like a really fun guy,, I’m sure you have lots of friends

13 Incognito December 31, 2013 at 2:22 PM

I grew up on the East Coast… have done the Times Square ordeal. I celebrate the East Coast and hope to make it til midnight to celebrate the West Coast… yup, I guess I am showing my age! But, I’ve been there and done that, so it’s all good!

Cheers and Happy New Year! May it be a safe one.

14 94598 December 31, 2013 at 2:29 PM

I set off practice fireworks all day long- set off the big ones around 8pm and then go to bed. Thats the best I can do- I cant stay awake till midnight :-)

15 Maya Piñon December 31, 2013 at 3:12 PM

I do neither, however, I do make sure 2013 goes out with a bang, bang (wink) and try to accomplish this anytime between 9:00 to 12:00 midnight. I see my own fireworks. Wink.

16 mwo1859 December 31, 2013 at 3:54 PM

I am on the west coast (florida) so I am watching that one.

17 Antler December 31, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Pro Fi and Incognito (love that nickname!) ~ ~ ~ My husband and I do that, too. We always go out to dinner on December 30. Tonight we’ve decided to watch some more episodes in a BBC series.

But New Year’s Day, I am always sure to have a pot of black-eyed peas and bacon simmering on the range. Is that tradition only observed in the South?

18 DrDuran December 31, 2013 at 4:30 PM

I sleep from 2000-2300 and have to be at work at midnight.

19 Pro Fi December 31, 2013 at 4:42 PM

@Antler – My grandfather (South Carolina) loved his own special dish of beans & pork. The rest of the family (PA) always shared in pork & sauerkraut. Either way it was good eating. Tonight we are having our traditional meal… Cheesesteaks & Tastykakes. BBC is one of my favorite channels!

I enjoy staying in over going out.. I always have. Besides, there is way too much craziness and I am not much for that.

EVERYONE have a safe New Year’s.

20 Shasta Daisy December 31, 2013 at 4:58 PM

To bring in the new year, we are having a quiet dinner out in WC with friends.
A tradition we started about 6 years ago.

I actually enjoy NYE more than Christmas, well, maybe in a different way is a better way to state it. I like to get all dressed up in “dress up” clothes and wear my mom’s custom jewelry.

We’ll be home by midnite to celebrate 2014.

21 mika December 31, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Whichever one I can stay awake for! Nothing like home, sweet home!

22 ChampagneKitty December 31, 2013 at 9:13 PM

I no longer made an effort to stay up until midnight to see the new year in. If I happen to be awake, great, but my sleeping habits are all screwed up these days.