Claycordian is Desperate to Stop Telemarketer Calls – Needs Help

December 29, 2013 18:58 pm · 88 comments

This note came from a Claycordian who is desperate to stop the calls from one telemarketer, who phones her house anywhere between 5-8 times a day.

How do we get the Telemarketers to stop??? This place called “National Renewable Energy Center” calls my house 5-8 times per day, as early as 8:15 a.m. They call from various area codes such as 707 area code, 925 area code and now an 818 area code. I’ve asked them to take me off of their list, I’ve informed them that I am registered with the FTC’s Do Not Call List and I’ve done all of this nicely and pleasantly.

I changed my answering machine message to say “I’m on the do not call list”. I’ve been pleasant to these callers…until lately, I’ve had it. I’ve told them I’m a Renter, I’ve told them I already have solar, I’ve told them I’m in bankruptcy…I’ve even answered the phone “Wells Fargo Bank, please give me your account number…” Everything I’ve tried does not remove me from their call list.

I’ve even filed complaints on the FTC website with each of their phone numbers that they call me with. I know of a few other Claycordian’s who’ve dealt with these phone calls unsuccessfully as well. What can we do? What can I do that I have not already done? I’ve tried nice, I’ve tried by the rules and I’ve played games with them…. I don’t know what else to do to make them stop calling. So I’m emailing Claycord. Any suggestions?

Claycordians, what should she do?

{ 88 comments }

1 Sinn Feiner December 29, 2013 at 7:07 PM

I would have agreed to meet with someone in their sales dept. and set up an appointment but given them a fake address.

2 Dorothy December 29, 2013 at 7:08 PM

If you have an answering device on your phone you can let all calls go to the answering device. Eventually they will stop calling. You can put a message on your answering device to say: “People I know will leave a name and message and I will return their call. If I don’t know you, I will not return your call.”

I have several friends who screen their calls after it goes to the answering device. If they know the caller they pick up the phone, if not then they just let it keep going onto the device. Most of the time the unknown callers and robo-calls hang up.

3 Lake December 29, 2013 at 7:08 PM

We hade this problem & changed phone numbers after 25 years – still give the old number out for fun ;>) – is the N S A reading this?

4 Ron December 29, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Everytime they call tell them you are interested and that you would like them to come over to give you an estimate. When they arrive tell them your not interested and to quit calling you!

5 Schmee December 29, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Easy silly rabbit. Dump the house line.

Like most intelligent Americans under 60 did years ago

6 Dave D December 29, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Recommend trying Google Voice.

It has “Do Not Disturb” and “Block Caller” features.

Hope this helps. ;)

7 Killjoy December 29, 2013 at 7:14 PM

I do believe that you are allowed to sue them for persistent harassment since you are on the list.

That being said, I’d go down to West Marine on Contra Costa Blvd, and get an air horn. The type that is on a can of compressed air, and blow it into the phone when they call. They’ll get the idea soon enough.

8 well December 29, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Have your lawyer contact them.

9 Noke December 29, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Take them to small claims court and you will win. Sounds like you already are keeping the required documentation ie., proof. Of calls and your repeated advisory that you are on the no call list and I don’t mean your answering machine, although that helps. Next time log the date and time and before they start with their spiel (sp?) get their full name and Id. Small claims will render judgement against them and at max for Cali, a little something for your troubles. I guarantee it will soy and if not, another judgement. He’ll I will help you file.

10 Nokeem December 29, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Sorry about all of the typos. iPhone, you know? My poorly typed offer remains. I will help you file in small claims and if you are successful we can split 80 20

11 anon December 29, 2013 at 7:23 PM

I leave the ringer on my answering machine turned off all the time. If someone wants to talk to me, they leave a message and I call them back, that’s if I want too.

12 Anon-E-Cat December 29, 2013 at 7:24 PM

We bought a set of cordless phones that came with 5 handsets and a base unit. One of the cool things about that set is that we can block 30 different numbers. I’ve filled it up once and had to delete a few of the earlier numbers but the number of BS calls we’ve gotten since has decreased dramatically. We’ll worth the money we spent for the piece of mind.

13 KenInConcord December 29, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Many years ago some “friends” of my daughter thought it would be funny to sign her up for everything under the sun. As a result for the first 4 months I got almost 100 calls a day. Slower to about 20 a day by the six month mark.

Try Do not call list? Nope! Because I requested information the don’t even check the number!

How so many. I wish I knew how they did it. They requested information in different names. So they would call and ask for a name. Not here. They would just call again later.

Who? Army recruiters (ruthless), trade schools, drug info, real estate ads, heald college (they never gave up), home loans, attorneys.

Since I ran CYM business out of my home this was very serious.

14 mutts December 29, 2013 at 7:31 PM

I set up an appt. then cancelled right away, told them I just wanted to waste their time as they did mine.

15 Crismesa December 29, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Go to donotcall.gov

16 Rebel December 29, 2013 at 7:32 PM

For every phone call she can get up to $500. She should document each phone call and file a lawsuit. She could even go as far as to call them back and threaten them with such a lawsuit.

17 Original G December 29, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Call George Millers office as much as he’s on Claycord they might just help.
It is an election year.

18 Frank C. December 29, 2013 at 7:34 PM

I like killjoy’s idea…one of those portable boat air horns.

19 anonymous December 29, 2013 at 7:35 PM

When they ask for you tell them that person has been arrested for child molesting, but wants to talk to them when he gets out on bail.

20 Anon December 29, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Tell them to F off. And nokeem you sound like you’re with them! Why are people letting people waste their time.

21 Ted K., SuperMax December 29, 2013 at 7:37 PM

2x with #11… ringer off.

22 mom December 29, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Told them “I already have it; take me off list”. That seems to have helped re: Solar.

23 Dixie December 29, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Just don’t answer.

24 Scrooge December 29, 2013 at 7:55 PM

I don’t understand the problem. Get caller ID on your phone which shows the phone number and person calling, which enables to screen your calls. If you don’t recognize the phone number or person, don’t pick up. This is not rocket science. Don’t engage these people in conversations. Most of the time when these people encounter a recorder, they hang up, and the call will not go through. If they keep getting a recorder, the calls will stop .Use common sense.

25 Chevrolet girl December 29, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Sorry you are going thru this. I went thru the same problem. I write down the date and time called and tell them that I have all this information logged, I am recording the phone call and ask them to take down my lawyers information. And I will be sueing them for harassment. Good luck!

26 KingSVTsis December 29, 2013 at 8:19 PM

I tell them to hold on, put the phone down, and walk away.

27 Anon December 29, 2013 at 8:20 PM

If you don’t have a phone that blocks numbers try to get the service from at&t http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB408880&cv=807#fbid=gcX_TfTG5cd works for us over 60s, lol.

28 Anon December 29, 2013 at 8:26 PM

have some fun with it…answer them in gibberish.

29 J. December 29, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Answer the phone then hang up ten seconds later without saying a word.

30 Grantline December 29, 2013 at 9:09 PM

“pro call blocker”. $60 on amazon. Simple to use. Scroll the call list until the offending number shows, and push blacklist. Understand that at&t will not allow you to block 800 numbers, they charge you for the service, and they limit you to a few blocked numbers. The call blocker gives a chirp when it blocks a call, meaning that the caller paid for a call, and you were not bothered. The robo call computer recognizes the “trip” and removes your number because they pay at&t but get zero results. It holds 1200 numbers. Mine ran up around 30 numbers, and the calls pretty much stopped. We get maybe one a week, block it, and enjoy our peace. Dont be angry-be effective.

31 Thank u December 29, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Thanks for all the great ideas. To answer some of the suggestions, yes I do have caller id and most of the time do not answer. Yet they still call 5-8 times per day. This has been going on for months. I like the idea to agree to an appt and give fake address or tell them off in person! And the boat air horn is funny. I will see if my phone can block numbers-had not tried that yet.

Thank you fellow claycordians for such good ideas. Much appreciated!

32 VikingPrincess December 29, 2013 at 9:18 PM

If this is an actual legitimate seller, there is a law that came into effect in the 90s where when you ask the manager to remove your number from the list and they call again they can be fined 5k for every call.
If they call again ask for the manager, get the managers name and company info and tell them to remove off your list to avoid a fine if called again. If you can, record the conversation and let them know you are and a police report will be filed.
If calls persist contact the police for best steps and see if phone company has ability to trace calls and block calls. Comcast does this.
Changing your number is a pain and only using your cell can have the same issue.
Personally I have yet to find the do not call list work well, if you use and it actually does what it says please let us know on Claycord. Otherwise I have found it to be a meta data base that collects info and when you have a problem, the steps to solve are ridiculous or they don’t call back and follow up. Hey what do you expect for a free excel spreadsheet? LOL.
What you are describing is not typical and is harassing. Could be a good rationale for tracing the call and contacting law enforcement.

33 Duck December 29, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Ask them what they are wearing………it works for us !

34 VikingPrincess December 29, 2013 at 9:32 PM

FYI… in every case where I have talked to the manager the calls stopped or they helped us stop by giving the correct person to contact for them to stop. That’s because they were legitimate businesses and we did not have to mention the fine.
Again if calls persist after this the problem is harassment and someone possibly bored at a computer sledding caller ID. OK

35 Googlar December 29, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Port your number to Google Voice, they have a spam protection thing. Get a new landline number and have that gvoice (which is free) forward to your new landline with spam filtering.

36 Second dumping the land line... December 29, 2013 at 10:15 PM

…we use to get bombarded by telemarketing calls, even though we were on the do-not-call list. Unlike this person, it was from multiple sources. We had an answering machine to screen calls, but that doesn’t stop it from being annoying. The phone would go off every 15 minutes (at least) right at 5pm and wouldn’t stop until as late as 11pm. It got so bad that we just unplugged all our phones and only kept the line for our Internet connection. Once we dropped DSL, the land line was cut off and we switched all phone communication to our mobile devices.

The convenience of keeping a land line in the house was completely ruined by these people. The idea of keeping one around for emergencies is nice, but it isn’t worth dealing with the constant spamming. It’s a safe bet that if this person gets rid of this telemarketer, her/his phone is going to get spammed to death by 10 others. Just dump it.

37 ring a ding ding December 29, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Do not pick up a number you do not know. be patient…eventually they will give up and go away

38 daddyof4 December 29, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Had a similar issue and had luck contacting the State Attorney General. They wrote the violator a letter and it stopped shortly after.

39 Gruey Scrambuey December 29, 2013 at 10:28 PM

I speak gibberish if I answer, which is not very often. We need the phone line for home office faxes, etc. Some voices are: Rastaman, Inbred Jed, Chinese Massage parlor owner, etc. Might as well have fun…..

40 Mr. John December 29, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Do not record a call unless you have obtained permission to do so. Once you have permission and begin recording, confirm the permission ont he recording. Be safe.

41 kax December 29, 2013 at 10:35 PM

make an appointment…when they show up, they are at your mercy…..be creative, and have fun….

42 glen December 29, 2013 at 10:37 PM

LOL,

Do like Mr Mabe did…

43 Annoying! December 29, 2013 at 11:09 PM

What I try to do as often as possible is answer the phone, silently count to 3 then hang up. I assume (?) this sends a message to the caller/automated caller that they’ve already gotten through to my number but were not successful with a sale.. and then it takes us off the list? Hell if I know, but it satisfies me psychologically. :)

Also, when my son is home we’ll answer the phone then take turns BEEP BEEP BEEP-ing or HONK HONK HONK-ing into the phone until the calling party hangs up! It’s actually very entertaining. :)

We’ve been on the DNC list for years and it hasn’t seemed to make a difference.

44 Well.. December 30, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Dumping the land line will work… for a while. When you start using your cell for everything, eventually that will get sold and calls will start again.

Next time they call, set up an appointment and give them the address for the police station. Next time, give them the address for the cemetary, then the day labor place on monument, the drive in, etc. Send them on a wild goose chase all over town.

45 Do not call exempt December 30, 2013 at 12:34 AM

I also started receiving calls from a 925 number I did not recognize do I would let it go to the machine yet they never left a message. So I called the number back and was greeted by a recording stating that if you are wondering about calls you are receiving from this number, that they are a company that is conducting a poll and therefore are not considered telemarketers and therefore “do not call” rules do not apply to them. They went on to say that since they are just conducting a survey, to please speak with the poll taker the next time they called. And if we wish for them to stop calling then we would just need to tell the poll taker to take them off their list.

So now I have learned that they are liars who are just trying to truck you into talking to them so they can attempt to sell you something snd that if you ask them not to call anymore, they will not oblige. GREAT. and apparently it’s legal because they are using a ruse of conducting a poll as a way to get you on the phone talking to them. I guess they got tired of their solicitors having the cops called on them constantly when they would go door to door harassing us. What a country.

46 jussayin December 30, 2013 at 4:44 AM

when you pick up the phone press and hold one of the buttons they will think they got a fax machine and hang up.
If you talk they will know they have a good phone number and continue to call.

47 ML December 30, 2013 at 5:27 AM

Take a little time to answer the calls. Listen to them very carefully. Act like you’re very interested. When they finish their pitch, start asking questions. Ask them to repeat everything they already told you. Then ask them the same question again. Make them feel like you have no capacity to understand anything they’ve told you. Like when they’ve finished their pitch about solar panels say something like “So how much per room for cleaning berber carpets?” or ” now how many planets do I get with this solar system?” The important thing is to take their time. Make it your mission to keep the caller on the line as long as possible. They make their money on call volume and setting appointments. Take away their money and they’ll stop calling. You get the added benefit of having a little fun with them.

48 Teacher Wannabe December 30, 2013 at 6:03 AM

@Schmee #5, that’s fine until you need to call 911 and they can’t find you cuz your cell phone doesnt tell them EXACTLY where you are.

49 Scott December 30, 2013 at 6:42 AM

I cant say much for home phones, but cell phone technology is awesome now. The Galaxy s3 has a feature that allows you to put numbers on a reject list….never get a ringing phone from someone you dont want calling again.

50 Pro chioce..........gun owner December 30, 2013 at 6:50 AM

Listen to 107.7 FM the Bone at 8:15am they have a segment called dicking with telemarketers. Very funny.

51 Just A Guy December 30, 2013 at 7:17 AM

So for what it’s worth I had this problem and went to their site:

Called their contact number and left a message indicating that further calls would result in legal action. I then emailed and called the contact number on their domain:

Again, I left a message that further calls would result in legal action and that I’d file abuse complaints with their registrar. The calls stopped within a week.

Not sure it’ll work for you but there it is. Also, feel free to call or email the GoDaddy abuse line. Pressure there might help too.

52 Incognito December 30, 2013 at 7:52 AM

Now that you know the company name, next time they call, tell them you are going to file a suit against them for harassment if they contact you again. I’ve used this approach before and the calls stop immediately.

53 File A Complaint December 30, 2013 at 7:53 AM

File complaints with https://www.donotcall.gov/ and the Better Business Bureau.

54 Jed December 30, 2013 at 8:02 AM

We have a land line number that is very close to a popular nationwide retail store. We get many calls for them in addition to annoying sales calls. We use Caller ID pads to screen calls – if not a familiar name or number it goes to the answering service (with the cable company) which we don’t know (or care) how to retrieve.
The phone company has a volume level limiter, so even if a person uses a boat horn (or car horn) it will only be a certain level of loudness at the other end – not the desired effect of sticking the horn directly in the caller’s ear. You can get the same effect by simply pushing any number button.,, it sends a loud tone to the other end.
And a point of correction – the CORRECT phrasee to use when dealing with a caller you don’t want to call you is to ASK them to PUT you ON their DO NOT CALL LIST. This is their only requirement. They do not have to remove anybody from “their” list because they are constantly BUYING new lists from other people (and thus are not technically THEIR lists). They are “supposed” to compare their “do not call” list with any call lists they use and then not call those numbers. You can hear how well that works.
I have no idea how to deal with a recording-only sales calls. I have heard that by pressing the # key repeadedly (after answering) sends a message to their computer that the line is unused, but again, no confirmation of this.

So far the best results I’ve had is by simply not answering unknown calls.

55 Scoob December 30, 2013 at 8:15 AM

These bastards are driving my 92 year old grandmother crazy. They call her early in the morning and basically hassle her. I wonder of they know or care that they are making elderly people ill. I’d like to give them a punch in the nose.

56 J. December 30, 2013 at 8:18 AM

I believe you have to renew the Do-Not-Call list enrollment annually.

57 Chris December 30, 2013 at 8:37 AM

I think it is rude. I only wish Karma for these telemarketers. And maybe try to get their number and bug them while they eat? sleep? I don’t know. And as said above, put them on hold. Forever…

58 The Mamba December 30, 2013 at 8:57 AM

I can’t imagine why these companies would continue to call if you are asking them to remove you from their lists. I wonder if someone else is giving out your number and signing you up for solicitation as a way to harass you? My wife lays into anyone calling our house because we have a baby at home that could be napping, and it is generally very effective.

59 bumper morgan December 30, 2013 at 9:06 AM

lawsuit…everyone throws around lawsuit…lawyers….That’s a lot of money to spend on a phonecall problem…

60 itsme December 30, 2013 at 9:11 AM

A couple of things…..you need a landline for emergencies and I get so many calls with a recording, not even a live person.

61 VikingPrincess December 30, 2013 at 9:35 AM

@ Jed – great suggestions

The Tom Mabe comment ? I almost forgot this one ! Ha! Almost used myself a few times.

Yes, if you record make sure you get permission and confirm time and date of recording. Might be all you need and the person will hang up.

For those recommending cell phone only? Again, telemarketers can call your cell # too. The idea sounds good if you change numbers or residences a lot. If you have had the same number for eons it would be a shame to stop because of something like this.The poster did not mention how long they had their number, so no telling ;)

62 ck December 30, 2013 at 9:40 AM

people still have house phones?

63 Captain Bebops December 30, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Isn’t Concord a major telemarketing hub? Maybe we can find out what buildings they are calling from.

64 Fedupwithcallstoo December 30, 2013 at 9:58 AM

I’ve had exactly the same problem over the last couple of years. The energy saving phone calls, even initiated by PG&E!
I ended up allowing the automated service to put me through to a real person and insisted they IMMEDIATELY and MANUALLY remove my number from their list. I was pleasant but firm and told them these were NUISANCE calls and if I received another call from the organization, I would report them for harassment.
It worked.
Good luck!

65 A couple things... December 30, 2013 at 10:17 AM

As for telemarketers still calling your cellphone, 2 things. 1) the FCC specifically prohibits telemarketers from auto-dialing mobile devices. 2) Even if they get around that or do it anyways, blocking numbers on a cellphone is infinitely easier than on a landline and can be done in seconds on the device. I receive, on the busiest months, maybe 2-3 telemarketing related calls a month. Look up number, set app to block it, done.

You can also look the phone number up. The simplest method involves just slapping the number into Google and utilizing one of the billions of “whose phone number is this” sites out there. If it’s a telemarketer, there is a very good chance you’ll find a discussion on it pestering other people.

@48: We have technology that can pinpoint exactly where you are based off of the location of your cellphone. Your cellphone number is also tied to a home location (bills have to go somewhere). This is all besides the point that you usually have to give an address to the emergency operator anyways, regardless of landline or cellphone.

66 Barlie December 30, 2013 at 10:25 AM

I answer “San Quentin women’s quarters”. They panic and hang up :) Having your # unlisted works the best in the long run. It took a year or so but now I get maybe 6 per year. And NEVER give out your actual home # except to your banks etc. If anyone else requires a # use 555-????. Or if you want a little revenge, since you have their #, start putting that # on everything . When it is sold to other telemarketers they can get all the sales calls.

67 M Gorman December 30, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Cell only. And do not give the number out again.

68 Shulla December 30, 2013 at 10:35 AM

My cell phone was buried in Robo calls from many States: Michigan, New York, New Jersey, South Dakota, Texas….etc. 8 calls before lunch, 10 more calls until 9:00pm. I too am on the Federal Do Not call list. These numbers are Not valid when you try to call back. Or you get a recording to press 1 for an agent, etc…never get a real human being. The worst number was from a Soybean company in New York that was no longer valid. Like Scott (#49), I have a Galaxy 3 and when a weird call comes in I reject the call, then go the phone log and put that number on the reject list. The calls have been reduced to almost none. Our landline does not have this problem, just the cell. I’d like 1 hour alone with these pests armed with just a roll of duct tape and a pair of pliers.

69 Clayton Squirrel December 30, 2013 at 10:49 AM

I try to sell them Girl Scout cookies.

70 Charles-the-cat December 30, 2013 at 11:14 AM

The company web page is http://nationalrenewableenergycenter.com. The domain is owned by a guy named Ori Bytton and the parent company is called “Hot Solar”. “National Renewable Energy Center” is a shell that will be taken down and replaced with a new name when/if lawsuits and government threats get too annoying. The Hot Solar contact address was listed as 5632 Van Nuys Boulevard Van Nuys, CA 91401-4602. (Not sure if that is still valid.)

His Linked-In photo is beyond creepy and his “qualifications” look to be delusional. I suspect the only thing he says that is factual and not twisted is “-Strong knowledge in running a call center and maximizing the potential of leads.”

71 anon December 30, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Each time they call, ask to speak to a supervisor. They don’t like that! Keep track of all the times that they call. If they keep calling after you tell them not to, it’s harassment! Tell the supervisor or the person that you are talking to that you will take legal action for harassment. The calls will stop.

72 Nom de Plume December 30, 2013 at 11:30 AM

I love the first part of Tom Mabe’s idea, but it went a bit too far. Otherwise, screen your calls. If they persist, log them all then file a lawsuit and teach them a proper lesson if you have the time and energy.

73 Foonman December 30, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Got that tee shirt already! Purchased a new phone system that allows a little more. Telemarketeers buy a bank of phone numbers in a given area so they look like they come from this area. When this happens my ID shows AC 925- the number and “out of area”. I can then block that # and they get two rings and a busy signal. Also it gives a busy signal to anyone that does not show a return phone #. I can block up to fifty #’s. Before I had this phone, I had to go to Khamala Harris’ office @ .gov, and register a complaint about that solar company from AC 805 that was absolutely harrassing us. I have a list (two pages legal size) of harrassing numbers.
For more info, go to Spokeo.com and (for free) see how many complaints had been recorded against these people. Some are in the thousands.
They now have my cell # but that wont get them very far. Good luck. It aint over yet. We’ve only begun to fight……………..foonman

74 J. December 30, 2013 at 11:55 AM

@Nom de Plume

The calls are coming from overseas by VOIP (Magic Jack). How are you going to sue some jokers in the U.K. or in Nigeria?

75 Anon December 30, 2013 at 12:42 PM

If I answer the phone and its a telemarketer, I just put the phone down and walk away. Let them go through their pitch. If its long distance, they will be charged.

76 Captain Bebops December 30, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Get a whistle and blow it into the phone. That’ll stop em.

77 Blow a whistle December 30, 2013 at 1:47 PM

You have caller ID right, so you can see when it’s them? Answer the phone by blowing a whistle instead of saying “hello”, and loud. Then hang up. It might work, and at least you wouldn’t have to talk to them! Good luck!!!

78 Tessa December 30, 2013 at 2:14 PM

When they call, say “that sounds interesting, just a minute.” Then set the phone down and walk away. Do that enough times and it wastes their time when they could be calling to harass someone. I have also blocked the numbers through Comcast and rejected anonymous callers. We have had a good laugh at letting them be on hold!

79 Anonymous December 30, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Give them the phantoms number

80 Kirkwood December 30, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Try leaving the ringer off and the machine volume is set to low level. You will still recognize a familiar or friendly voice. Decide if you want to pick up. I would bet the calls stop in a week or two. It sounds to me like you teed somebody off and they are harassing you intentionally.

@Tessa – Laugh until you forget the phone is on hold.

81 lizzie December 30, 2013 at 4:50 PM

I am retired so I have all the time in the world to “dick” with these people. First of all, they have to make many many calls per shift. I can easily spend 20 to 30 minutes of their time, acting interested and asking questions. When it gets down to the “appointment”, I always say “this is a huge decision, I will have to discuss this with my landlord”. One of the first questions they asked, “is this the homeowner”? After wasting their time, when they find out I am not the homeowner, I am taken off the call list.
This doesn’t work for all, but it works for me.

82 Fast Eddie December 30, 2013 at 5:28 PM

I had a Nat. Ren. Energ. Ctr. caller tell me the supervisors name: Jack Hoff.

I went cheap on the horn, I purchased a $2 ref’s whistle that I blow into their ear.

I have pushed the 1 button and walked away from the phone, they call back.

I tried, “Give me your name and number, and I will call you back during your dinner time.” One asshat said, “Okay.”

There is usually a delay after I say hello, and then a click, so I hang up and 2 hours later they call again.

What I want to do is get the porn site with the woman groaning loudly in pleasure and play that in their ear after I push 1. Happy New Year all, keep the creative responses coming.

83 JRConcord December 30, 2013 at 6:30 PM

@ Michelle 66
I made loud farting sounds into the phone. It worked with the spanish telemarketers

84 JRConcord December 30, 2013 at 6:31 PM

OH EVERYONE.
Are your carpets dirty? ;-)

85 Clayton Mommy December 31, 2013 at 12:06 AM

@ML 47,
This is cracking me up! I am laughing soooooo hard.
Wonderful idea.

I also like the idea of pressing the beeps so it sounds like a fax machine. I remember working in telemarking in the, years ago, we just crossed the fax machine numbers off the list. That was the fastest way to get a number deleted.

86 Bob December 31, 2013 at 8:11 PM

I have the same problem with “Rachael” from card services. It’s a robo call and if interested you can press 1 to talk to someone. I have waited many times to talk to someone and a few times got through. I asked them politely to remove me from their list. I told them I was registered on the do not call list, they could care less. If it isn’t Rachael from Card Services then it’s Diane from carpet services. I actually spoke to this person and she told me to F off because I asked her to stop calling me.

87 anon January 1, 2014 at 12:17 AM

Register your phone number with the National Do Not Call Registry!

88 Frustrated January 1, 2014 at 7:38 AM