BART Police Officer Involved in Crash on H-242 in Concord

December 29, 2013 10:38 am · 29 comments

A BART Police Officer was involved in a minor injury vehicle collision on highway-242 in Concord on Saturday night while responding to a call for back-up at the Pittsburg/Bay Point BART Station, according to BART Police.

The Officer was near the Clayton Rd. exit on H-242 when the collision occurred. He was on his way to the Pittsburg/Bay Point BART Station to assist an officer who attempted to detain a male suspect for fare evasion. The suspect fled on foot but was tased and taken into custody, police said.

When the call originally came in, it was reported to be a fatal collision, however, there were no life-threatening injuries.

{ 29 comments }

1 anonymous December 29, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Tazed for fare evasion? Tazers are all well and good but over 500 people have died after being tazed in the US. If the cop was fighting, fine to taze him, better then shooting him, probably.

On the other hand, it was no doubt a scum bag fare evader.

2 Kai December 29, 2013 at 11:04 AM

We passed by at around 9:45 and there were more than six emergency vehicles, ambulance arriving, and off-ramp blocked. Was all that response for this?

3 @anonymous December 29, 2013 at 12:15 PM

What do you think the cops should do? Shout, “Stop, or I’ll say stop again!”?

The only way we’re going to see a reduction in crime (yes, fare evasion IS a crime) is if committing crimes HURTS. The reason criminals run rampant now is that there are virtually NO consequences for their actions.

4 mutts December 29, 2013 at 12:19 PM

It’s a crime against all of us. He needed tasing

5 J. December 29, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Don’t taze me, Bro.

6 Red Headed Left Handed Inuit December 29, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Not a single comment about the BART officer driving too fast for the conditions on the road. No mention of the GHP being involved in the investigation. Cops driving poorly on the freeway are a danger to all of us. That is where the focus should be. Tweakers jumping fare is commonplace and not really a big deal, we all pay for it in cash but that is nothing compared to what it costs us in insurance and our lives on the freeway. To my mind, we have a lot of questions about BART and the freeways and the responsibility of driving sanely.

7 anonymous December 29, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Dear poster 3 .
What the cops should do if they see a transgression is immediately shoot the transgressor. Oh wait, BART already tried that.

8 Teacher Wannabe December 29, 2013 at 12:49 PM

@ #6, No one said he was speeding or drivingbadly. People getting on from monument and that whole 680/242 transition are a mess. People changing lanes without signaling or looking, cutting across 3 lanes as if it was Indy 500, etc. ,Don’t judge if you don’t have all the facts.

9 amonomous December 29, 2013 at 12:50 PM

#6 your mind seems small. Yes let more lowlifes have NO consequences will help.

10 . December 29, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Wonder if he was on his cell phone or using his 2 way radio just prior?

11 Let the facts come out December 29, 2013 at 1:27 PM

It’s too bad the officer was involved in a collision. Those are expensive, and do kill or injure people. We don’t know what happened. Let CHP do their crash investigation, and you know BART will be doing an internal affairs-investigation. If the officer violated policy, he or she will be held accountable, usually by a suspension, letter of reprimand, etc.

The fare evader, yes it’s a low priority crime. If he hopped the gate and ran, who loses? Did his being on the train reduce the speed or cost anything? It doesn’t matter in the big scheme of things if no one saw him evade. But when he was confronted, I am sure this was escalated into a resisting arrest situation. What a surprise the criminal doesn’t want to get caught!

Yep. For $5 in fare, this person caused an officer involved use of force and an officer involved traffic collision, resulting in loss of an expensive police car, investigative time from other agencies, ambulance and medical response, and so on! That $5 very quickly jacked up to $50,000!

12 Anon December 29, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Glad to know BART PD noticed the difference in tgeir pistol and taser now

13 @7 December 29, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Yes, they already tried that. And it was highly effective.

14 . December 29, 2013 at 1:53 PM

They need every nickel possible to pay for that 15% bart pay raise.

15 ! December 29, 2013 at 2:17 PM

The bart cop passed me at 100 plus he was hoping on the freeway by panda express on monument and left me i was doing 75 and he passed me like i was standing still

16 Dr. Jellyfinger December 29, 2013 at 2:26 PM

BART Cop!—-He meant to only use the brake but accidentally used the accelerator pedal…. it was right next to it.

17 anonymous December 29, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Fare jumping should be punishable by any mean possible! Any means!

18 mika December 29, 2013 at 5:54 PM

anonymous– you took the words right out of my mouth. . .

Are BART police allowed to exceed the posted speed limits? Are they really cops?

19 amonomous December 29, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Kelly whatever. Just think that’s all, new to many I no. Judge me you don’t no me so your pointless to me and only prove my point. Drawing picture wait. #1 get all facts. Don’t ever assume
#2 Crime is crime and it’s a proven fact small crime leads to bigger and yeah I don’t want t to ride Bart with a bunch of gate jumpers but I pay my own way in life so continue with your future here. Not coming back prefer intelligence over ignorance every time but thanks for sharing

20 Frank C. December 29, 2013 at 7:36 PM

BART police have full peace officer powers…..yes they can exceed the posted speed limit.

21 anonymous December 29, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Congratulations Poster #22. You have won this evening Phantom prize. Someone who is dumber then the phantom! And you did it your way. Good work.

22 amonomous December 29, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Why thank you#24 that’s so sweet of you. Your just a true love. Kelly sorry if I said or did the wrong thing here just I just don’t understand English. And the other person sorry all I got for you is maybe read or think but everyone has potential. Wish you the bestie

23 ale December 29, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Last time I checked other drivers are supposed to pull to the side and stop when a cop with lights approaches.

24 Dr. Jellyfinger December 29, 2013 at 10:41 PM

anonymous #24 – take it easy on Phantom. His Che Guevara beret is just on way too tight. Brain squeeze is to blame.

25 Connie Dobbs December 30, 2013 at 8:57 AM

#28 Perhaps his condition could be alleviated if he would only stand up.

26 @ Red Headed Left Handed Inuit December 30, 2013 at 1:36 PM

“Tweakers jumping fare is commonplace and not really a big deal, we all pay for it in cash but that is nothing compared to what it costs us in insurance and our lives on the freeway”

No big deal??? Blame the police, yeah that’s the logical thing to do. Tweakers should have free reign to do whatever they want with no repercussions whatsoever. (Extreme sarcasm).
That is what is wrong with society. We have gone soft on crime and just give them a slap and a hot meal and they never deal with the problem.
I’m all for tasing these slimeballs…….

27 Concord December 30, 2013 at 9:25 PM

I’m shocked that 95% of people BART Police are arresting are already on parole or have no bail warrants and wind up back in jail. BART Police are arresting a lot of criminals. I didn’t realize it until I started getting their log. Now, I know why I never see them on the trains. They are stuck and the jail dropping all these losers off. BART needs more Police like yesterday. These are serious offenders. The crimes they commit at BART are stupid for the amount of time they look at in prison for violating their parole. Dummies. Male and female both. Unbelievable.

28 Concord December 30, 2013 at 9:28 PM

This is a really stupid comment and not even on topic. This wasn’t a simple tweaker jumping a fare gate; there was more involved than that. With all the crazy drivers at 242/4, not surprised. 4 isn’t exactly a well-designed freeway.

29 Victor Holmes December 31, 2013 at 9:32 AM

The fare evader possibly gets away with a five to six dollar ride. All of this over $5.00. This BART police car ends up making contact with another motorist who happens to be my wife & sister / law…They are the victims. They are totally shaken up from the accident, and narrowly avoided possible serious injury or death. Their vehicle is towed away after spinning, airbags and widows are blown out Im at Kaiser Walnut Creek at 2 am after they are treated and released.
Is the chase worth the possible injuries etc? That particular officer should have used more caution around other vehicles on the road. I understand that officers have a job to do, but please have the utmost awareness.