UPDATE: Barnes & Noble in Pleasant Hill Closing on Dec. 31

December 28, 2013 15:00 pm · 26 comments

barnes

As we first reported, Barnes & Noble on Contra Costa Blvd. in Pleasant Hill is closing, and they’re being replaced by a HomeGoods.

Barnes & Noble will be closing on Dec. 31st, according to the store’s management.

Jennifer Smith with Regency Centers says “The Barnes & Noble lease expires in January and we have signed a new lease with HomeGoods”.

HomeGoods is a home furnishings store, according to their website. They are owned by the same company as T.J. Maxx and Marshalls.

HomeGoods is planning to open in early 2014.

{ 26 comments }

1 Silva December 28, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Sniffle.

2 Subterfuge December 28, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Another reason to spend my money in WC. They have a Barnes and Noble.

3 RaD December 28, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Are they moving somewhere else since it’s just the end of a lease or closing indefinitely?

4 Red Headed Left Handed Inuit December 28, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Subterfuge, not for long I think. Followed by the passing of Olive Garden.

5 mutts December 28, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Love bookstores, too bad they’re going.

6 Anon. December 28, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Subterfuge, u are dumb. That one will be gone soon enough as well.

7 Atticus Thraxx December 28, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Sucks

8 Think Local December 28, 2013 at 8:09 PM

This is FANTASTIC!!!

Here, let me try to re-indoctrinate your brainwashed, TV saturated, simpleton, selfish, lazy, short-sighted, forgetful, short attention span, dollar-driven, greedy capitalistic-conditioned, media-convinced, molded, money-converted, non-catechized, minds. It was stores like the national chain Barnes & Noble that drove mom and pop booksellers out of our community. Remember the days when you knew the store owner, their selection of books, their kids knew your kids, the days when the money stayed local? Like food production, we left the fresh, organic, locally grown, community growers and selected a robotic, cheaper alternative. Same for books. I want Mom & Pop back ASAP. Why lament this change? Please come back Mom and Pop!

The Olive Garden (Darden Foods, Orlando,FL)? A health hazard – stop eating grains and sugar! Opt instead for non-diabetes inducing restaurants. Choose to go to eateries that supply you with health-based, locally grown, pesticide-free, non-gmo, above-ground leafy greens.

Too often I see people selecting convenience over nutrition, both of the mind and body. And no, I don’t live in Berkeley.

Your money used to stay local. Fresh & Easy (was based in UK, now in El Segundo) and Whole Foods (Austin, TX) is trying to replace the Mom & Pop sensible precedent . B&N money went to New York City. Five Guys Burgers is in Lorton, VA, Your Dickey’s Barbeque money goes to Dallas. Thank goodness Pet Food Express is in Oakland, Safeway is in Pleasanton, and Orchard Supply is San Jose. Papa Murphy’s is in Vancouver, WA, H&R Block is in KC, Missouri, Walgreens (Deerfield, IL), Sherwin Williams (Cleveland, OH), Panda Express (Rosemead, CA), Starbucks (Seattle, WA), Subway (Milford, CT), Cold Stone Creamery (Scottsdale, AZ), Carl’s death-diabetes-heart-disease{dis-ease}, high blood pressure, grain-fed, slaughterhouse-Burger Jr (Carpenteria,CA), Massage Envy (Scottsdale, AZ), need I continue…?

Good bye sweet America. I’m fortunate to have lived in your prosperous times that have been lost. I support you from afar now. I used to walk in the vegie-fields my grandparents grew for themselves and their community. Capitalism is good, greedy capitalism is bad.

9 Think Local December 28, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Funny how some here appreciate the opportunity to discuss local issues locally but choose to spend dollars away from your locality.

10 NRA #1 fan and member December 28, 2013 at 8:20 PM

The need another gun store there in P Hill.

11 mika December 28, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Think Local–feel better?

12 Dorothy December 28, 2013 at 9:05 PM

I have furniture. I need books! Don’t tell me about the library because you have to give those books back. Guess I’ll have to spend even more time at the Half Price store.

13 Think Local December 28, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Half-Priced Books (Dallas,TX). I submit to you that you purchase books from local sources, if they exist.

14 Shut up think local December 28, 2013 at 10:37 PM

This is sad. Theres not many bookstores left.

15 ClayDen December 28, 2013 at 10:59 PM

At least the UPS driver that delivers my books (and other stuff) from Amazon is local. And in a few months there will be Amazon employees in Tracy and Patterson. I am going to miss B&N when they close though, and the one in Walnut Creek is a hassle to park near.

16 HippieDream December 28, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Why do people “whisper” in bookstores?

They’re not libraries.

17 BCuzItzClaycord December 28, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Think Local – it is obvious you don’t do much local shopping as if you did you would know about Berkshire Books on Clayton Rd………………………..

18 monica sheridan December 28, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Try your local library for their used book sales–everyone benefits

19 fulubulu December 28, 2013 at 11:49 PM

@15
Its not sad. If this was a local bookstore something tells me they would not be going out of business. Delete previous post Claycord.

20 @Think loco December 29, 2013 at 8:05 AM

Who cares if a business is based in another state? When I buy a pizza at Papa Murphy’s (for example), my money goes to the franchise owner, the landlord, the pizza maker, etc. In other words, I’m stimulating the LOCAL economy.

If you only patronized locally-based businesses, you wouldn’t have much to choose from, since our LOCAL government seems hell-bent on driving business out of California.

21 Red Headed Left Handed Inuit December 29, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Book Stores are disappearing from Claycord and beyond because so few read and those that do choose Amazon or electronic media.

Olive Garden is going away because it does not really work. Sales have declined for the last three years and retooling of the brand has not been successful in reversing mediocre food, mediocre and worse service and prices with little value.

Supporting local business is the only way that Claycord will continue to thrive, otherwise it will continue to decline.

22 Skippy December 29, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Bonanza St. Books was great (gone now). Cody’s in Berkeley was an institution, as was Stacey’s in SF, both gone now. Both because of Amazon not B&N.

23 KAD December 29, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Skippy, I miss all of those book stores, especially Stacey’s. Their technical book selection was the best. One time I had a contracting job in SF and got stuck on a coding solution. At lunch, I ran down to Stacey’s and looked it up in one of their books. No, I did not buy the book that day but they got plenty of my money over the years.

24 anonanonagain December 30, 2013 at 1:46 PM

I am really sad about this. I loved going to this Barnes and Noble store rather than the one in downtown Walnut Creek. I truly believe that by closing a book store we are losing more than another place to buy a book or browse but an important part of our heritage. Nothing like holding a book, turning the page as the story unfolds. I’ll miss you B & N…….

25 Lame January 2, 2014 at 1:25 PM

Oh, yay… a bookstore closes down to make way for… a HomeGoods store… people are more interested in buying cheap, pointless baubles that are crafted through child labor overseas than reading books and enriching their minds. Sad picture of our society.

26 Cowellian January 2, 2014 at 2:49 PM

It’s all your fault, Lame, for not buying enough books.