Solicitors Out & About in Concord & Pleasant Hill on Christmas Day

December 25, 2013 13:39 pm · 22 comments

Yes, believe it or not, solicitors are out & about on Christmas Day.

Claycord.com is getting reports from the Dana Estates neighborhood in Concord and the Gregory Gardens neighborhood in Pleasant Hill, both saying the solicitors are selling magazine and newspaper subscriptions to earn money for college. They’re also ignoring the “no soliciting” signs, according to the tipsters.

QUESTION: What would you do if somebody came to your door trying to sell you something on Christmas Day? Would you answer? Not answer? Complain? Deal with it?

{ 22 comments }

1 Elwood December 25, 2013 at 1:51 PM

I’d tell them to go f themselves.

2 Incognito December 25, 2013 at 2:09 PM

I have a no soliciting sign on my front door which reads as follows:

“No Soliciting, unless you are dropping off a bottle of wine and would like to do my laundry.”

Since I’ve put this up, it’s been a huge success, leaves solicitors chuckling as they walk off without ringing my door bell. So, if they should approach today, on Christmas Day, I probably would open the door and invite them in to do my laundry.

3 Larrabee December 25, 2013 at 2:18 PM

A large percentage of folks won’t be home, as they’re visiting friends or relatives; which makes me suspicious of their real intent.

4 Idea for a sign December 25, 2013 at 2:43 PM

This is my favorite soliciting sign:

No Soliciting!

We are too broke to buy anything.

We know who we are voting for

We have found Jesus

Our kid is already selling the same crap you’re selling

Seriously, unless you’re selling Thin Mints

GO AWAY!!!

5 Ddt December 25, 2013 at 3:28 PM

I fell for the scam once never recieved my magazine after a 50 dollar check dont fall for it.

6 unknown December 25, 2013 at 7:18 PM

I do no business at the door.

7 Horseman December 25, 2013 at 9:44 PM

About 20 years ago my Dad was fed up with the folks that hand out the Watchtower. He said they came by every week and never took no for an answer. My Mom herd the doorbell and ignored it. Then she herd the scream. Running to the front door she encountered my 72yo Dad bare ass naked walking away from the front door. He said they never bothered them again.

8 Horseman December 25, 2013 at 9:45 PM

“heard”

9 Sam Y December 25, 2013 at 11:25 PM

My dog’s barking usually gives them the clue that they DONT want me to open the door..I just ignore them.

10 Duck December 26, 2013 at 12:50 AM

I strip down to my dignity or as close I can legally do which is my boxers. Then I take off my shirt and mess up my hair before I open the door and politely invite them in too talk about my Moth and Cockroach collection.
It works every time……..and makes my wife laugh like a little school girl , which makes me very happy !
Life is to short to sweat the small stuff……make it worth living and lighten up and have some fun !

11 Greg in Pleasant Hill December 26, 2013 at 4:04 AM

I would expect this kind of thing in Concord, for obvious reasons..But in Pleasant Hill? Is nothing sacred?

12 dinkydau December 26, 2013 at 7:55 AM

I have seen these young guys before. One of them came by my place about 9pm. I just looked through the peephole and asked who it was. He told me he was trying to get magazine subscriptions in order to go to college. Most young men don’t do that. I have seen these people over the years. Someone drives them around in a van and about 8 of the all get out and begin doing their thing. I just said no. I didn’t have to answer the door but wanted to let them know someone was home.

13 Lamby December 26, 2013 at 9:01 AM

It was Christmas day, so they could have been casing homes to see who was out visiting friends and family.

There was a story in the paper today about an East Bay family who had their Christmas presents stolen. Thieves don’t take a day off.

14 itsme December 26, 2013 at 9:12 AM

It would seem they were trying to find out who was home. Many people are away on Christmas. Am I just being paranoid?

15 Lori December 26, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Incognito and Idea for sign, love both of those sign ideas :) To answer the question I am as tired as the next person of solicitors ringing the bell but I still try not to be rude. I just say, “no thanks, not interested” then close the door before they have a chance to say anything else.

16 Dorothy December 26, 2013 at 10:46 AM

No business done at the door no matter what day it is. Especially not on holidays.

17 vindex December 26, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Hmmm.. I think this happened to me.. Pretty sure it was Jehovah Witnesses. I just didn’t answer the door. I felt sad for them.

18 Sybil December 26, 2013 at 11:53 AM

This has been going on for years, especially during the holidays.

19 Frank L. December 26, 2013 at 12:02 PM

I would be nice to them. I have no desire to be anything but nice to someone on any holiday, especially Christmas.

But I wouldn’t buy anything!

20 kat December 26, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Hey Greg in pleasant hill – what a pretentious snob!

21 Not PC ever December 26, 2013 at 4:19 PM

I let them hear me jacking a round in my shotgun. So far, they’ve all walked quickly away.

22 Stealthy Mama December 27, 2013 at 4:46 AM

One time I was eating my dinner…late like around 8:00pm or so. Suddenly the door bell ring. I decided to act like a slob w/ bad manners. So, I carried my fork and plate…full of food…over to the door. The hubby was in the bathroom doing his business. I opened the door and I see a young, cheesy-looking fella who spoke, “Hi! I need money to go to college. So, I am selling magazine subscriptions for $??.??. Would you be interested?”. So, I decided to put on my bad manners act by forking food onto my face. I asked the young fella what kind of magazines are you selling. While he was showing me the magazines, I continued to stuff my face while at the same time, I talked to him w/ my mouth full of food. On top of that, I added a rude, but loud, burp. I can tell he was feeling uneasy…perhaps disturbed…about my bad eating manners. That is the whole goal and that is to turn off these so-called door-to-door magazine subscribers. I’m sure that in his mind, he is probably thinking, “Geez, these folks behave so low class!”. TEE, HEE, HEE!!! HA, HA!!! You got that right, cheezy-looking fella.