Concord Police Arrest Five During Saturday Night DUI Checkpoint

December 23, 2013 13:30 pm · 37 comments

The Concord Police Department conducted a DUI Checkpoint on Saturday, December 21, 2013 from 10:30 p.m. to 3:30 a.m., as part of The City of Concord’s commitment to public safety.

The following information is from the Concord Police Department:

The location of Saturday’s checkpoint was on Concord Avenue between Bonifacio Street and Market Street. The goal of the DUI Checkpoint was to bring awareness to the public of the dangers of driving under the influence of drugs and alcohol and remove impaired drivers from the roadway, according to CPD.

The results of the DUI Checkpoint were as follows:

• 573 Vehicles passed through the checkpoint
  • 573 Drivers Screened at the checkpoint
  • 5 DUI Suspects Arrested
  • 1 arrest for drug possession
  • 12 Field sobriety tests conducted

These enforcement efforts were funded by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Report Drunk Drivers – Call 911!

{ 37 comments }

1 Concord Guy December 23, 2013 at 1:34 PM

I wish that CPD would conduct one on Kirker Pass Road northbound. That would snag a lot of Pittsburg/Antioch drunks.

2 So how long until people get it?????? December 23, 2013 at 1:38 PM

STUPID IS AS STUPID DOES!

We need to make these people walk…………….

Driving is a privilege!

People who drink and drive only care about themselves if you see someone drinking and about to drive TURN THEM IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ENOUGH!!!!!

3 Anonymous December 23, 2013 at 1:48 PM

I wish they would do one in the afternoon

4 The Biz December 23, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Less than 1% of those, who had their rights as an American citizen violated, were arrested last night. Good work Gestapo. “Where are zer papers?”

We set up checkpoints like we’re living in a third world nation. Chew on that for awhile.

5 Always Right December 23, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Now that California is allowing illegal aliens to get drivers licenses, can we PLEASE resume impounding vehicles driven by unlicensed drivers?

6 Concord December 23, 2013 at 3:14 PM

I agree Kirker Pass would be good.

7 Truth Teller December 23, 2013 at 3:20 PM

To “The Biz”……. That operation took 5 potential killers off the road. That’s a reality. Deal with it!!!!!

8 Anon December 23, 2013 at 3:28 PM

I think they should do one on Willow Pass between Hwy 4 and Olivera there are a lot of people taking the back road into Concord drunk.

9 Anonymous December 23, 2013 at 3:28 PM

The Biz is an almost complete….. Idiot.

10 Dorothy December 23, 2013 at 3:28 PM

5 DUI’s arrested but no cars towed?

11 Well.. December 23, 2013 at 3:35 PM

@ The Biz- So what if we stop the check points, and your family is killed by a drunk driver. You would be ok with that? As long as the drunks rights are not violated, right?

Only those who drive drunk are against these check points.

12 Sybil December 23, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Take as many scum off the road as possible. Check points work wonders, damned drunk drivers, probably still tipsy.

13 J December 23, 2013 at 3:53 PM

I went thru the checkpoint but they waived me right thru and didnt check any of my info and seemed weird that they claim “573 Vehicles passed through the checkpoint and 573 Drivers Screened at the checkpoint” and I didnt get “screened”. I guess they dont count the cars that are waived thru?

14 The Biz December 23, 2013 at 5:00 PM

@Truth Teller

Everytime you get in a car you’re a potential killer. So I guess we should just take all cars off the road.

Get a clue.

15 The Biz December 23, 2013 at 5:09 PM

You morons fail to grasp that I’m not against finding and locking drunk drivers up. THEY HAD A 1% SUCCESS RATE AT THIS STOP. I’m against living in a third world nation that illegally stops and searches its citizens.

Do saturation patrols. Bring a bigger police presence to the ROOT CAUSE of drunk driving. Increase the penalty… mandatory jail time. Felony charges that don’t get expunged from your record. Hell, lets go ahead and prescribe Antabuse and make it mandatory for those caught. BUT FOR THOSE OF US WHO DON’T DRINK AND DRIVE – WHY ARE WE PUNISHED?

It never ceases to amaze me how many of you are that stupid to give up your rights.

16 Retired Cop December 23, 2013 at 6:09 PM

“Felony charges that don’t get expunged from your record.”

Please show me where that happens…..

17 The pope. December 23, 2013 at 6:44 PM

how bout a White collar crime checkpoint in Danville/

18 Mama P December 23, 2013 at 6:52 PM

What about the RIGHTS of our family to drive down roads without A$$hole drunks??? What about the RIGHTS of the families when their loved ones are MURDERED…who cares about THEIR RIGHTS??? GO HOME, BIZ-YOU’RE DRUNK AND STUPID!! I’ll happily go through any drunk check point! I HAVE NOTHING to HIDE!

If you don’t like it here…don’t let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

19 Rollo Tomasi December 23, 2013 at 8:00 PM

“And any idiot who quotes the Supreme Court case should go ahead and quote what has to be the worst Majority Opinion that has ever been written.”

What qualifications do you have that trump those of SCOTUS?

How is a momentary stop at a checkpoint a “punishment”? You’re deliberately calling a minor inconvenience a punishment in order to support your paranoid views.

20 NRA #1 fan and member December 23, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Puhahahaha made my holiday

21 meh December 23, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Do it closer to bars or use the money to pay for free taxis to those going out! it is annoying to wait 20 minutes right after work because of this bs!!!!

22 little popo December 23, 2013 at 11:55 PM

What about the ones on pot, drugs and prescription meds? There is no safe driver out there. We need drug testing stops

23 @Retired Cop December 24, 2013 at 6:06 AM

24 Kris K December 24, 2013 at 7:06 AM

The Biz says:

“At what point is it going to be legal for the cops to set up a checkpoint at every intersection? Every street? At the end of your neighborhood? Heck, at the end of your driveway? Why don’t we just have an assigned time for you to leave your house and you can meet with your parole offic… I mean police officer right outside your front door?”

Someone is getting a tin foil hat for Christmas!!!

25 Retired Cop December 24, 2013 at 8:28 AM

“You are wrong depending on the charge after you have done your time for a few thousand you can have the case sealed and there will be no record if your felony. In my case it was 5 years after and $6,000 case no longer shows:”

26 Don't Censor Me Bro December 24, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Retired Cop December 24, 2013 at 8:28 AM (#25)

quoting @Retired Cop (#23)

The PD still has the report, if you go for a real job– you have to disclose it regardless of the sealing, A light weight Misd. years ago– may be…A felony conviction– you should never be able to do this….our system is broken,”

Apparently you both know little about the law.

27 Rollo Tomasi December 24, 2013 at 9:09 AM

@ #23:

28 Horse'n Around December 24, 2013 at 9:40 AM

@ The Biz. No one is keeping you here. Move away to some other country, and I guarantee, you will be back.

29 Anon December 24, 2013 at 9:42 AM

“Go try to buy a firearm. You’ll quickly learn how well you’ve “sealed” the record.”

Or try to become a cop or a real job that includes a real background/security check…not everything goes away & it should not…buy he way–what felony was it you were convicted of ???? …….. bet you don’t tell us

30 The Biz December 24, 2013 at 10:43 AM

The ******* on Claycord, out in full effect. How many people die every year from drunks? Ok – now how many more die from you dumb*** sober drivers? I’m glad most of you are sheep. You’re not welcome in my house for certain. I hope you all have a horrible Christmas and get hit by a sober driver who was running late because of the checkpoint he had to wait a half hour at. I imagine you’re all the type of morons that can get by with a 1% success rate at your jobs. I’m sure of it, in fact.

31 BCuzItzClaycord December 24, 2013 at 10:45 AM

The Biz – Perhaps you need your meds changed. Is anyone demanding people get out of their cars, searching the cars., strip searching people etc??? Uh……..NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Driving is not a “right” it is a privilege so whatever right you are yammering about don’t exist.
So The biz if you don’t want be stopped don’t drive….probelm solved
Claycord – home of some of the biggest whack-a-doodles I have ever seen.

32 Rollo Tomasi December 24, 2013 at 11:33 AM

@The Biz:

A half hour? Only if you’re impaired. Refer to post #13.

33 BCuzItzClaycord December 24, 2013 at 1:16 PM

To The Biz @30 – I think I can speak for most on Claycord when I say you are a complete a-hole………………FYI – none of us would want to go to your house (if you onw a house, probably live in mommies basement smoking doobies all day) as we don’t socialize with idiots.
The Biz = King of the Whack-A-Doodles……………

34 Betty Sanchez December 24, 2013 at 5:31 PM

The odds don’t compare to wasted tax dollars. Maybe they need the holidays off to save tax payer dollars.

35 Anonymous December 24, 2013 at 8:33 PM

@ Betty Sanchez

You, sir, make no sense

36 Prefect excuse to profile December 25, 2013 at 7:45 AM

I have an issue with these check points. I have to ask, how did they find out who had a valid DL or not if they showed no sign of being impaired and were fact not impaired, yet singled out and checked, while others, who maybe looked like better people to them, were waved through? I have serious problems with profiling. We need to respect cops. Like them. Trust them. This kind of BS builds resentment, understandably, and we already have too may people who hate cops, even good people. I do not, but I have to say I was really pissed off being pulled over for NO reason, surrounded and questioned by cops once. One asked, “where’s the dope” His first question. You tell me I was not profiled? I was. And I believe these checkpoints are used as an excuse, perfect reason to profile certain looking people. They need to be banned imo. OR, monitored by public watchdog groups to make sure they are only checking for impaired drivers or violations, and not profiling. It is unacceptable. And unconstitutional.

37 Laura Zah December 26, 2013 at 8:56 AM

If I was a cop I could have arrested at least 6 last night just driving home from my sister’s house.