Unemployment Rates Drop in November Across Bay Area, State

December 20, 2013 17:00 pm · 23 comments

Unemployment rates continued to drop in California and in the Bay Area in November, according to state jobs data released today.

California’s unemployment rate dropped to 8.5 percent in November, down from 8.7 percent in October and continuing a decline from August’s 8.9 percent figure, according to the state’s Employment Development Department.

Unemployment rates also fell in the Bay Area, which continues to post some of the lowest jobless figures in the state.

Marin County, which typically has the lowest unemployment rates in the state, decreased to 4.6 percent in November, while San Mateo County was second-lowest at 5 percent and San Francisco was third at 5.2 percent.

Solano County, which has the highest unemployment rate in the Bay Area, was at 7.6 percent, still well below the state level.

Alameda County was at 6.8 percent, down sharply from the 7.8 percent rate seen as recently as July, and Contra Costa County was at 6.8 percent.

The U.S. unemployment rate fell to 7 percent in November, down from 7.3 percent in October.

{ 23 comments }

1 Brace yourself December 20, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Fed is still printing money. DC is still spending more than it brings in. This is unsustainable and it’s not IF bit WHEN it hits the fan again.

2 Truth be told December 20, 2013 at 6:03 PM

The government has always spent more than it collects during my lifetime, with the exception of the final 3-4 years of the Clinton presidency, and the first year of the George W Bush presidency.

3 Wait For IT December 20, 2013 at 6:22 PM

We’ll see in two weeks what the numbers are. FED will still be pumping in $75 billion dollars into the weak obama economy. An don’t forget the more expensive healthcare costs start coming out of family budgets.
An those home improvement loans, popular in the early 2000s are becoming a problem as the interest only 10 year periods expire and principal that has been growing must start being paid back. Another round of foreclosures will hit.

Unlike the government families can not simply invent money if their budget comes up short.

4 Anonymous December 20, 2013 at 6:26 PM

So I’m finally off the unemployment rolls… ran out of benefits. Now i’m working 20 hrs./week, with NO benefits. No holiday pay, no vacation, NOTHING. But the government officials can be happy, because the unemployment numbers are down. Aren’t they proud of themselves for “fixing” the problem???

Every penny I earn goes to pay for medical coverage. Some how, I’m not feeling better about all this…

5 What Recovery? December 20, 2013 at 7:02 PM
6 Julio December 20, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Wait until the Christmas season is over and it will go up and up again.

Also unsustainable is the stock market. A sharp decline is due and some folks think it will be very very bad. The Feds are the cause of this.

7 Anon December 20, 2013 at 7:10 PM

This is great news. I will definitely be electing another democrat to the whitehouse!

8 Anon December 20, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Correction, voting for another democrat.

9 What? December 20, 2013 at 8:52 PM

What? You mean I won’t still have my job being Santa in the strip mall in January?

10 Triple Canopy December 20, 2013 at 10:01 PM

The unemployment rate is just one piece needed to evaluate the state of the economy.

How many of the “employed” are under-employed?
What proportion is part-time employment?
What is the labor participation rate?
What is the increase (or decrease?) of those receiving some sort of government assistance?

11 james December 20, 2013 at 11:56 PM

My Xmas gift came early I was laid off December 6th. I still haven’t received my Unemployemnt benefits, I filed the same day. The state probably screwed up.

. It is going to be a tight Xmas.

I have been looking for jobs but I will not hit it hard until the New Year. HR Depts, and businesses take it slow the next few weeks…

12 anon December 21, 2013 at 12:09 AM

I’d start the Monday after Christmas. I’ve had two job interveiws in the past week. One of them told me I’d hear from them the 30th.

13 Cal W and his dog spot December 21, 2013 at 6:34 AM

Actually families can invent money if needed, just like the government. You just get a credit card or loan. When I bought my house, I didn’t have the money to buy it outright, so I decided to take 30 years to pay it off. Same with my car, but that took 5 years. College education took several years to pay off. My washer/dryer, same thing. When I bought a TV, didn’t buy that outright either. I’m amazed if anyone can afford these items outright without borrowing money, despite the best of budgets.

The economy is slowly improving. I have friends who weren’t able to get jobs a few years ago, whom are now employed. I’m at a company that has been losing money the last few years, but we’re losing less and less each year and next year looks to be our best year in a long time.

14 Antler December 21, 2013 at 9:32 AM

#13 ~ ~ ~ Your attitude is healthy, and I’ll bet you are going to be just fine.

15 anon7 December 21, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Imagine how much faster the recovery from the Republican Recession
would have been, without all the obstructionism.

16 @13 December 21, 2013 at 11:35 AM

I’m so glad you’re working for a company that is losing money again, year after year. That works really well with our government that spends it’s way out of debt. We’re is such better shape now don’t ya think?

Are you a lunatic ?. As a business owner myself, losing money means going out of business. It’s not if, but when. You’ll be unemployed again, as soon as your employer pulls the plug before all their money is used up waiting for a legitimate turnaround.

Sure, the economy is getting better and Santa Clause is brining me a winning lotto ticket for x-mas.

I’ll definitely be buying stock in healthcare too because Obamacare is obviously going to be the next big success story and all those businesses supporting the healthcare industry are going to explode with profit. Right ? NOT

Prepare for tough times. Socialism always brings it.

17 Isabelle December 21, 2013 at 2:19 PM

@13
Are you really proud that the company you are working for is losing money year after year? You are doomed.

18 ClayDen December 21, 2013 at 3:39 PM

The reality is that the real unemployment rate is much higher than stated, especially if you include the underemployment rate. How would the rate look if recent college grads who haven’t been able to find their first job were included?

19 Cal W and his dog spot December 21, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Losing money in a business does not mean going out of business for everyone, including small business. Just on a side note, my father started a small business that lost money for the first five years he was in business. Many startups lose money initially as do regular businesses. It depends on your capital, the ability to secure loans, and the amount of risk you’re able to tolerate.

My employer is a large corporation that is not in danger of going out of business. We have capital reserves, a portion of which is being reinvested into the company to make improvements and expand offerings. Like many companies we were affected by the recession. Based on orders, 2014 should be our best year since 2009. The economy is improving slowly, and business is picking up. If you look at economic data for the last few years you see some trends… unemployment is slowly going down, existing home sales are slowly improving, vehicle sales are slowly improving, etc. That doesn’t mean we’re at pre-recession levels yet, but we are seeing improvement.

20 Isabelle December 21, 2013 at 6:45 PM

#19
I could see a start-up, but if a large and established corporation continues to lose money; the eventuality is closure.

21 Ted C and his dog het December 21, 2013 at 7:48 PM

@19
Couldn’t agree more.

22 Cal W and his dog spot December 22, 2013 at 6:40 AM

There’s many large corporations that lose money, yet do not go out of business. Look at many airlines, hotels, car companies, consumer electronics companies, major clothing retail establishments, phone companies, computer companies, pharmaceutical companies, casinos… I could go on and on.

Sure companies do close down, the weaker ones, who do not have a viable product, but not every company that loses money closes down. I think you’re under the false impression we never make money ever. All I said was we lost money the last few years and we’re losing less and less each year. From that, some made the assumption we’re shutting down, which we’re not, not by a long shot. Anyway, horse, beat, dead.

My point all along, we’re seeing signs of improvement in the economy.

23 Thanks Pres Obama, Gov Brown and Dems December 22, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Great job in spite of the negativity from the other party.