New Area Code Coming to the Bay Area in January of 2015

December 20, 2013 13:42 pm · 16 comments

Remember when Claycord was the 415 & 510 area code before we became 925?

Starting in 2015, there will be a new “628″ area code in the Bay Area as more telephone numbers are requested.

The California Public Utilities Commission approved the new area code Thursday as part of an “overlay” plan for the same geographic region as the existing “415″ area code.

New telephone numbers will be issued the “628″ area code when new phone services begin as of January 2015.

The “415″ area code in Marin and San Francisco counties is expected to use up all available “prefixes,” which are the first three numbers after the area code, by October 2015.

In anticipation of that demand, the North American Numbering Plan Administrator approved an area code overlay to provide additional numbers.

Residents in the “415″ areas will not have to change their phone numbers under the overlay system — multiple area codes can co-exist within the same region.

In preparation for the new area code, a new dialing procedure in the “415″ region will require dialing the area code to be connected.

Dialing “415″ within the same area will be required starting mid-June, however, there will be a grace period until mid-December 2014.

© 2013 by Bay City News, Inc. — Republication, Rebroadcast or any other Reuse without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.

{ 16 comments }

1 Kal December 20, 2013 at 1:55 PM

And I just bet the phone company will find a way to charge the calls as a long distance or zone or something else to squeeze another dime out of the consumer.

2 Cowellian December 20, 2013 at 2:05 PM

I was really unhappy when we changed from 415 to 510 because we had to notify everybody, as well as change our stationary and cards. When the split area codes again, they actually talked about doing an overlay, and we all said it was a stupid idea. Now, I’m not so sure. It seems strange thinking that neighbors might have different area codes, but I don’t think it really matters any more. We still have 925 area codes on our cell phones and 615 for the home phone.

3 Cowellian December 20, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Kal, that’s not an issue for many people. There is no distinction between local and long distance calls for most cellular companies. Many people don’t even have land lines any more. We’re using Google Talk for our home phone, and it doesn’t cost anything at all per month.

4 jtkatec December 20, 2013 at 2:37 PM

I miss the old days of Concord-2321

5 Cowellian December 20, 2013 at 3:06 PM

I definitely do not miss the days of dialing the operator and asking for St Louis, or whatever city you wanted.

6 jtkatec December 20, 2013 at 3:23 PM

I also miss party lines.

Just think the kids under 30 will never know the fun of a party line.

7 @ #6 December 20, 2013 at 3:47 PM

We still have party lines!!! I’m 32 and know all about the party line it still exists!

8 ChampagneKitty December 20, 2013 at 4:18 PM

to Kal #1: It doesn’t work that way. Rates go by distance, not by area code.

9 Anonymous December 20, 2013 at 4:40 PM

People these days probably think a party line is a line of white powder on a table, long enough for the whole party.

10 Ben Dover December 20, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Maybe it has to do with all the free “OBAMA PHONES”.

11 Rebel December 20, 2013 at 5:51 PM

As in the Phoenix area, 10-digit dialing may be required not just in the 415, it may soon be everywhere. So be prepared to punch in a few extra digits every time you pick up a phone.

12 anon December 20, 2013 at 7:23 PM

I remember when my grandmothers phone number was MU2-9521. MU was called mulberry.

13 The Dude December 20, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Looks like some of the turds are going to have to change their tattoos again.

14 Anon December 21, 2013 at 6:11 AM

Our number use to start with Yellowstone and I remember being upset when San Francisco took our 415 area code.

15 travis December 21, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Fun fact, 925 is derived from the two area codes this region had in the past, 415/510, added together

16 @ Ben Dover December 21, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Really! Is there anything that is not Obama’s fault? I mean anything at all.

Every once in a while I turn on Fox News just to see how far they will go. Now I know that Obama is the only president or politician in the entire history of the world that has used a teleprompter. I know that he is the only president to ever take a vacation., I know that Michelle has more private staff than any other 10 first ladies combined. I know that “Obamacare” is the end of the world as we know it and is worse than the slavery, 9/11, Hitler and many other travesties too numerous to name. I learned that Mitch McConnell included a 3 billion dollar pork item to his home state when he voted to end the government shutdown. Remember. The shutdown because the government, in his own words, was spending too much money.
Oh, wait. That item was not reported on Fox News. How interesting.
Luckily, I only tune in occasionally. I can’t imagine all the horrible things I would learn if I watched all the time.