Victim Warns Others After Packages Stolen off Porch in Concord

December 19, 2013 19:00 pm · 48 comments

A Claycordian on Melody Dr. in Concord is one of many who have had a package stolen off his porch within the past week, and he wants to issue a warning to his fellow community members, especially since it’s so close to Christmas.

I’d like to issue a warning to my fellow Claycordians about package theft.

I live in the Newhall Village on Melody Drive in Concord. I ordered two items from Amazon which were to arrive Tuesday. I received a text message stating they were deliver and put on the doorstep at 11:06am.

When I got home I didn’t find my packages, I found a Yellow Pages phone book instead. I contacted Amazon who said the packages were delivered via UPS. I contacted UPS and they said they packages were delivered. (taking the word of the driver, which I will believe because the UPS delivery person knows me.)

The packages were small, one being an envelope, the other a small box.

The value was very little, but that’s not the point. The point is they were stolen.

Myself and my neighbors have never had mail or packages stolen from our porches or backyards.

I’d just like to let my fellow Claycordians know to be wary of this and to be on the lookout for their fellow neighbors.

Thanks for the warning! Unfortunately, this is happening multiple times a day in all the cities around Claycord. Get those packages inside A.S.A.P.!

{ 48 comments }

1 FedEx Package Stolen December 19, 2013 at 7:06 PM

I had a Xmas package delivered by FedEx at 2:38 p.m. last Friday the 13th. When I got home about 5 or 5:30, it was gone!! I live on Brenda Circle which is off Wilson near Bailey about six or seven blocks from Melody Drive. I don’t know what I can do about it. The value was over $100.

2 Cartman December 19, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Find them. Boil them.

3 A. Sal December 19, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Another story about packages being stolen?! Have people not learned by now? If you have a package sent & put on your doorstep, especially during Christmas time, there’s a huge chance it will be stolen!! Have it sent to a workplace or have UPS or FedEx ask for a signature. There’s ways to do that. I feel bad this happened to this gentleman, but he should know better. Sadly, we live in a world where bad crap happens around us.

4 Rob December 19, 2013 at 7:27 PM

If your employer allows it have your packages delivered to where you work.

5 Tina December 19, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Dumb, dumber and dumbest – why would people continue to have packages delivered when they are not home?

What you can do about the problem, is have packages delivered to a neighbor or friend who is always home; have them delivered to work; track packages via e-mail when you receive a confirmation to see the approximate time of delivery and then plan on being home and be on the look-out for the delivery person.

6 Chevrolet girl December 19, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Cartman for President! I don’t understand how people can possibly think it is okay to steal from others. Obviously they have no conscience.

7 Criminal Hater December 19, 2013 at 8:05 PM

I guess I should go out and clean all the dog droppings from my lawn and put them in a box on my porch. I am sure they will love that stolen package when they open it up

8 Kelly December 19, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Folks, please have you learned anything by now. Always have a signature for your package. Just don’t have them leave it on the doorstep.

9 Cowellian December 19, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Get a club.

Use it on the thieves!

10 Miss Chatty December 19, 2013 at 8:34 PM

I am sorry that this happened again and I appreciate the reminder. For some people, the suggestions that are given to avoid this are just not practical. Not everyone has a job, or a job that allows packages delivered to, or a neighbor that will agree to be home all day, or a person home all day waiting to sign, or a company that will actually have the driver get the signature that you have required.
Stop blaming the victim. In my book, it is stealing when you take another persons property, no matter what the circumstances.

This really need to be stopped and I think the police should start following these delivery trucks and catching these criminals.

11 mamatosix December 19, 2013 at 9:04 PM

I am going to take a box, put used cat litter in it and give it to the delivery guy to leave on my porch.
And I am one of those people who believe that I should be able to leave things on my property and not worry. Yes I know we make excuses and blame the victim. It is not ok, no matter what, to take my stuff.

12 Mr. Moses December 19, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Jeez…stop with the less than intelligent advice of “getting a signature.” People must not get packages very often.

I get at least two deliveries a week. All my shopping comes from Amazon and other online retailers. UPS tries to deliver within normal business hours so if you request a signature it is likely you’ll be trekking over to the UPS depot near Olivera once or twice a week. They close early too so many times you won’t make it in time. All that wasted time and effort is worth as much or more than most of the items you would have ordered (of course crazy expensive stuff have insured and/or request a signature).

Best practice for my fellow people of the modern age who live, work, and shop online is to work out a “secret” area with your UPS driver to drop the packages off at. Behind a special bush, tree, side door, etc. I’ve been doing this for years. This crime is a quickie type so if it isn’t at the front door, they’ll move on. UPS drivers are cool and completely understand. It affects their “numbers” when they have to re-run a package or keep it at the depot so it behooves them to work with you if you are a frequent customer on their route.

13 Anon December 19, 2013 at 9:38 PM

I am not sure how well this works, but UPS is advertising about a free program called “My Choice” and you can control when you get your shipment and get alerts of what time the driver should be dropping it off. Again, I just started seeing these ads for it so I never tried it myself, but I thought it couldn’t hurt to pass the info along.

14 Jim Shoes December 19, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Ups blows

15 Shuley December 19, 2013 at 9:52 PM

I like the part where Miss Chatty said that it might not be “practical” for people to come up with easy solutions to not having goods laying on their doorstep all day in broad daylight. Then to offer the “practical” idea to have our police force following UPS trucks around all day to catch petty thieves.. Irony at it’s best!

My friends have a large bench on their porch and the seat lifts up for storage. Their UPS guy knows to put packages in there since the lady of the household has an online shopping addiction and gets 3-4 packages a week..

16 Sunnymoon December 19, 2013 at 10:20 PM

My UPS package arrived today at 11:30 am and I went outside to look for it, didn’t see it. A few hours later went online, checked the status – delivered. Went outside to look for it again. It was hidden. Well hidden. THANK YOU, UPS delivery person, for taking 2 extra seconds and hide it from evil eyes.

17 katy December 19, 2013 at 10:23 PM

When I place orders for delivery, I ALWAYS have them shipped to either my work or somewhere else where the package will not be left on the doorstep. This has saved me so many problems.

18 ClayDen December 19, 2013 at 10:40 PM

One of my daughters had a package stolen from her porch this week in Los Altos.

19 cent December 20, 2013 at 12:50 AM

My UPS guy always hides packages, so it is not clearly
seen from outside, but Fedex and USPS just leave
packages in front of the door.
Note, I am always home, so do not blame me that
I am letting my packages dropped off .
I immediately take them inside. Thives have no
chance…

20 Light bulb December 20, 2013 at 4:21 AM

How about getting the exploding die packs that the banks use and have them sent to your house… Theives will be easily tracked then…

21 Don't Censor Me Bro December 20, 2013 at 5:30 AM

@15 well, well, well…

And perchance the delivery driver can tell the perps who follow to close their eyes as s/he places the package(s) in said safe locale?

lol

22 adingoatemybaby December 20, 2013 at 5:56 AM

Mount one of these fake security cameras in easy view of the front door. Make sure it is obvious as you walk up to the door.

If you order it from Amazon the camera may get stolen off your porch before you get it though. :-)

Even better, put one of these signs right under the fake camera. Sure, it won’t look pretty, but it should keep anyone from coming to your front door with evil intent. All for ~$15.

23 Sportwagon December 20, 2013 at 6:17 AM

We had this happen to us a couple years ago. Lost 2 handmade quilts. Concord PD wasn’t interested. We were advised by Postmaster to get a box at the local UPS store. They can except delivers from all carries… UPS, FedEx, USPS etc. Have had no issues since

24 Anonymous December 20, 2013 at 7:27 AM

Requesting the delivery to have a signature confirmation does not always work. A couple of years ago I ordered a computer which I requested have a signature confirmation. Well guess what, the UPS driver left the computer on my porch, and the ‘signature’ was signed by the driver stating ‘at doorway’. That was the signature, no joke. The computer was in plain sight in the actual computer box, not even a plain brown cardboard box. I received an alert it was left, and I luckily was only a couple blocks away and got to my house as fast as I could. There it was plain as day visible from the street. Luckily I got there quickly and it wasn’t stolen. But this is just a warning that requiring a signature, sometimes, doesn’t mean a thing. Unfortunately, we all have to be very cautious and if you can, have items sent to your work or a family members home that will be home at the time of delivery.

25 Connie Dobbs December 20, 2013 at 8:03 AM

Rent a mail drop for a month. It’s much less than $50.

26 Same thing happened to me. December 20, 2013 at 8:22 AM

I ordered a Club to put on my Honda so it wouldn’t get stolen from the BART station. I got the delivery notification, but it wasn’t there when I got home. The police told me I had to file a report online and they would let me know if it was ever recovered.

27 trey December 20, 2013 at 8:38 AM

When I order things, you don’t have any option to get a signature, unless its high price and then they automatically do that. UPS does send me a delivery window, 11-3 say, now before the package gets here, which is handy, but thats a lot of hours to wait around. No perfect solutions.
I am currently waiting for a 2day priority package that was supposed to be here the 16th via USPS…it got sent to Benicia, from Oakland, and now its the 20th, and it got sent back to Oakland and is on its way hopefully to Concord…over 5 days late…I wonder if I should give up hope on that getting here! When things go wrong, they really go wrong..

28 Pro chioce..........gun owner December 20, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Okay a few weeks back I was having a delivery of wine coming. It being alcohol its the law that it has to be signed for and was clearly labeled accordingly. Fedex was the shipping company, so I went online to have it held at a Fedex store, which was confirmed on website. But when I got home it was sitting on my porch. From now on I have shipments delivered to my work. So many times I’ve been home and my door bell rings, sure enough there is a package sitting there, without being signed for. Must be their policy to not wait for signature on anything.

29 unknown December 20, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Ups, USPS and Fedex should not leave packages on the front steps, period.
Make the person pick it up at terminal.

30 Miss Chatty December 20, 2013 at 9:00 AM

@Shuley- I did not suggest that the police should follow all day, every day. I did speak with a WCPD officer who told me that they actually do have officers follow the trucks and have caught several people by doing that.

He also said that most cities are seeing a huge increase in crime due to the fact that so many non-violent criminals were released early from prison. Increase in all types of theft. Be ready, people.

31 A bit angry December 20, 2013 at 9:31 AM

I live in a “secure” building in Walnut Creek and had a package stolen in the past two weeks. I can’t be home during the day to sign for it, there’s no place for somebody to hide it, and my ‘neighbors’ aren’t friendly. What’s the solution here? I don’t have extra cash to rent a PO Box. Maybe if we all complained to UPS .

32 Mrs. T December 20, 2013 at 9:40 AM

I sat at home all day last Tuesday and waited on my packages. At around 8pm still nothing so I contacted UPS they said that the driver was running behind and they would be delievered by 9pm. So I waited 9pm still nothing so I tracked them and it said they had been delivered and left at the front door well they were not at my front door. I contacted UPS again and they said the same thing. So at 9:30 pm my husband went out and walked to our neighbors house where he found our packages sitting on there front porch. UPS is a joke. Check your neighbors houses if you cant find your package im sure some lazy UPS driver could not make the few steps over to your front door. Will not be using UPS for anything else.

33 anon December 20, 2013 at 9:47 AM

There was a problem in my nieghbourhood with tweakers stealng mail out of mailboxes. I got a PO Box at my local post awful. I have as much mail/packages, etc. sent there as possible. I also have credit card and bank statements sent there as well.

34 sgttom December 20, 2013 at 10:17 AM

this is the best way to solve this problem ts to have UPS FedEx any other company to deliver packages to you at work or to a neighbor you trust and force the company’s not to drop packages off to on door steps what ever happen to dropping packages of in person like it was before they never dropped packages of like that they would always come to the door and ring the bell and if no one was home they would try again the next day and if no one was home the would drop it off at a UPS pick up point and live you not saying were to pick it up at . PS make the company’s pay for the package if it gets taken from your porch it should never be dropped off on your porch.!

35 Noj December 20, 2013 at 10:24 AM

I was speaking to an elderly Concord resident on the phone yesterday when she heard her doorbell ring and told me “it’s OK, it’s the UPS driver,” and I told her to put down the phone and go and get her package, which she did. A minute later, her doorbell rang again and it was her neighbor, checking to see if she was home and able to retrieve her UPS package. Looks like the word is getting out Mayor, thanks to you.

36 Disgusted with package thieves December 20, 2013 at 11:50 AM

We usually take the package right from the UPS/FedEx driver’s hands even before they get to leave it on our doorstep. It is nice to be retired and have the time available to wait for packages!

37 @sgttom December 20, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Punctuation. Please use it. Thanks.

38 @unknown 29 December 20, 2013 at 12:00 PM

If I have to pick up all my packages at the UPS terminal, what’s the point of shopping online? I might as well shop in-store instead.

Some of you are missing the point that some of us WANT our packages delivered to our porches without a signature. It’s the only way we have to receive them.

39 Cowellian December 20, 2013 at 1:57 PM

That’s a great picture gallery, WebSailor.

40 Kal December 20, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Can’t wait till they steal the nice amazon box on my doorstep. Hope they like wasps!

41 Horse'n Around December 20, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Hey. Where’s Shelly, Mitch and Denise? How come they’re not on here calling these people stupid for having their packages left on the porch. I know they gave me , Cowellian and a lot of other people a hard time.

42 ajh5150 December 20, 2013 at 4:11 PM

I had the same thing happened. On Wednesday I checked and the website said it was delivered at 10:31am. When I got home around 1 there was no package. Dumb on my part I know, but I thought not here. Lesson learned. I live on El Campo Ct. Concord.

43 Shelly December 20, 2013 at 5:42 PM

@Horse’n Around, that was Shelley, NOT Shelly!

44 Shelly December 20, 2013 at 5:53 PM

I too want my packages delivered to my door. That’s the whole idea. I don’t consider myself stupid for it either. My neighbors work. They have enough to do already anyway. I cannot have my packages delivered at my workplace. I don’t have one. Fortunatly I’ve never had this problem (knock wood). But if I did It would not have been MY fault. (Shelley, Mitch, & Denise!)

45 John December 20, 2013 at 9:43 PM

I have a PO Box and sometimes the shipping options for different merchants don’t allow packages to go there. In fact, I was having a package shipped UPS and they said the last leg of it would be by the United Postal Service. Then they changed it last minute and had UPS deliver to my door while I was at work. There was nothing I could have done to fix that. Ran home from work as soon as I got text notification it was there. I hate UPS.

46 Claycordite December 20, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Why do so many of you presume it is packages that are ordered? Family and friends have been sending packages for years, and until they’re all told that they’re being stolen, they’ll continue to send them and the delivery services will continue to leave them on doorsteps, or throw them over the gate in plain view of the street. Those of us who work and work in other communities don’t have many options about leaving packages out, especially when the delivery date is unknown. It is not my neighbor’s responsibility to keep track of my deliveries for me. I now either insist on signature upon delivery, pick up at the local service center or order through Amazon and use their lockers near work if I order anything.

47 Honesty December 20, 2013 at 10:39 PM

I wonder what type of pre-caution the delivery drivers take when leaving a package? I mean, do they pay attention to their surroundings and possibly make a notation on customers address if they see something that looks out of place. Do they not know that thieves are following their trucks all day and snatching packages? I certainly know if somebody is following me…

Recently on at least two occasions I have had my garage door open as I go in and out, and my UPS driver has brought my package to the interior garage door. This was kind of cool because the package was out of site for prying eyes. I realize having the garage door open is just as dangerous but like I said, I was in and out of the garage.

I feel really bad for everyone that has had a package stolen, your car broken into, your house robbed, etc. I would think that once you have been violated like that, you would never view ANYONE the same. I do believe in Karma and pray that the same evil comes to those who do evil to others.

NEXT…

48 Michelle Lav December 21, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Folks, have your packages delivered with a required signature. This is the best way to deter thieves.