Vandal Throws Egg Through Back of Vehicle’s Side Mirror on Willow Pass Rd.

December 19, 2013 15:02 pm · 31 comments

eggers

A vehicle’s side mirror received major damage this week after an unknown vandal threw an egg at the truck while it was traveling on Willow Pass Rd. in Concord.

The victim’s brother tells us the story….

My sister was driving home on Willow Pass Rd. between Highway-4 and Landana Dr. when some one threw an egg at her truck. She doesn’t know if it was from the side of the road or from a passing car. But as you can see the damage is pretty crazy. The egg went through the exterior of the mirror. She said that when she drove past the next day in day light there was a Costco 30 pack egg carton on the right side of Willow Pass just past the apartments heading toward Highway-4. She did file a police report, and I’m not sure if there were any other victims.

That’s awful. Fortunately it didn’t go through her window.

Thanks for the heads-up. Everybody, use caution when you’re driving in that area.

{ 31 comments }

1 C December 19, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Kid’s got an arm. He should play for the A’s so they can have a not awful team.

2 Anon2you December 19, 2013 at 3:16 PM

That is crazy and dangerous…I hope they catch whoever did this just in time to spend a little quality time in jail over Christmas…

3 The Biz December 19, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Yea, caught some idiots throwing eggs from their apartment off Clayton Road a few years back. Drove back around, parked, and walked to the spot where I saw them throw it the second time – called the cops – who showed up 1 hour later and proceeded to chatise me for calling them. All the evidence was out in front of their apartment… but the female cop didn’t care whatsoever.

The cops in this town don’t give a rats a$$ about it. They’re too busy looking for chickens*** tickets to hand out.

4 Mr. John December 19, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Just to note: If a vehicle is moving towards you and you throw at it, things that might seem like pranks can be deadly. If the egg had hit a person rather than the mirror, it could kill them.

5 Sacto Rob December 19, 2013 at 3:45 PM

It looks like the miror housing was made out of eggshells more than the actual eggshell.
Seriously, I’m glad she wasn’t hurt. I was driving over Bailey Road from Pittsburg to Concord in the middle of the night several years back when a small rock hit my windshield. Big spider web smash. Pretty dang scary.

6 Mig December 19, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Maybe they were frozen? That’s a lot of force to go thru the plastic.

7 Jill December 19, 2013 at 3:51 PM

WOW! How is this possible?

8 Confusing Headline December 19, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Here’s a headline for you with one less word and a ton more clarity. Feel free to use it:
“Vandal on Willow Pass Rd. Throws Egg at Car, Damages Side Mirror.”

9 Alex December 19, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Yeeeeeah. I got nailed by an egg a few weeks ago around Clayton/YV. They were driving in the opposite direction and got me right on the windshield. I guess this is just karma for how bad of a teenager I was…

10 Rollo Tomasi December 19, 2013 at 4:14 PM

@ C:

Off topic, but do you mean the Oakland A’s that won their division the last two years, or the city league softball A’s that you play for?

11 Sacto Rob December 19, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Jill @#7 How is this possible? Remember your grade school science. The egg is one of nature’s wonders. It’s nearly impossible to crush an egg by applying force to its ends. Place an egg on a hard surface and press with your hand directly down on the pointy end. As long as the egg remains upright and you push straight down, you’ll likely break the bones in your hand before the eggshell cracks. If somebody gets off a lucky toss and happens to hit that mirror housing straight on with the pointy end of the egg, the shell won’t crack until it’s pierced the housing and the now-jagged pieces of plastic flex back against the sides of the egg, crushing it as it passes through the hole.
Or, like #6 Mig says it could have been frozen, but that assumes a lot of planning and foresight by someone who left the carton and wrapping by the side of the road.
And for fun, try cracking an egg on your forehead the next time you’re cooking for kids. They love it. But here’s a tip: hold the egg so the side of the egg, not the point, is what hits your head (see above.) Even at that, the move takes a bit of practice. Smack the egg on your forehead too softly and it won’t break but it will hurt a bit. Hit too hard and you end up with egg on your face. But in between, you crack the egg without injury or mess.

12 Atticus Thraxx December 19, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Holy crap! An egg did that? I have a Raven .25 that won’t penetrate a Carhartt soaked in water. Where do I get a concealed egg permit?

13 Jill December 19, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Well thank you very much for the detailed explanation Sacto Rob#11. But I wont be able to try the experiment myself. I live a very strict vegan lifestyle. I rescue animals rather than eat them. I sincerely do appreciate your answer. Thanks a bunch! :>)

14 Elwood December 19, 2013 at 4:59 PM

@ The Biz #3

Move to PH. PHPD responds to all calls, including non-emergency, within minutes.

15 The Closer December 19, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Make sure to hose the car off. Egg will stain the paint.

16 meack December 19, 2013 at 5:49 PM

A few years ago, at that same spot, at about 5:30 in the morning, someone threw a heavy river rock at our car from that same place. Those rocks rate used as part of the landscaping. At first I thought that I had run over a rock on the road, but when we reached our destination, i noticed the big dent about three inches from the passenger window…right where my son had been sleeping. That same morning, I warn into someone else who had been hit in the same place at about the same time. I returned to the spot later that morning and saw rocks in the road, many with paint marks. I called the cops, but they couldn’t (or wouldn’t) do anything. I shudder to think what would have happened if that rock had been three inches higher.

17 meack December 19, 2013 at 5:51 PM

A few years ago, at that same spot, at about 5:30 in the morning, someone threw a heavy river rock at our car from that same place. Those rocks are used as part of the landscaping. At first I thought that I had run over a rock on the road, but when we reached our destination, I noticed the big dent about three inches from the passenger window…right where my son had been sleeping. That same morning, I ran into someone else who had been hit in the same place at about the same time. I returned to the spot later that morning and saw rocks in the road, many with paint marks. I called the cops, but they couldn’t (or wouldn’t) do anything. I shudder to think what would have happened if that rock had been three inches higher.

18 Triple Canopy December 19, 2013 at 6:11 PM

The resulting damage seems to defy the laws of physics. The egg found the sweet spot.

19 Alex December 19, 2013 at 7:05 PM

This incident is about me. I was driving, my husband was in the passenger seat and my 4 year old in his car seat right behind me. This was scary and so stupid. I’m sorry for any one else that went through the same thing or a similar situation. I lived in martinez for 28 years and nothing like this happen to us, moved to concord been here 3 1/2 weeks and this is the worst so far but not the first criminal act. So discusted by people.

20 Laura December 19, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Someone threw an egg at my car when I was driving down Thornwood last week. It hit the driver door. I was lucky it didn’t dent it. I went back that way and saw an egg carton in the intersection at Wilson and Thornwood.

21 Al Bumin December 19, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Must have been hardboiled.

22 Carlos Danger December 19, 2013 at 9:31 PM

>>>Atticus Thraxx…Where do I get a concealed egg permit?<<<

You could have a uterus installed.

Then I could tweet you some pics.

23 Dr. Jellyfinger December 20, 2013 at 12:13 AM

A Raven .25? HA! I had one of those & used it for a paperweight (only thing it was good for). I sold it to a gun buy back program for $50.00 Same as I paid for it. LOL! What a piece of crap.

Oh and regarding the egg……….. I have it on good authority (from my receptionist) that it might simply have been dropped by a duck or a buzzard or similar fowl. I told her that birds lay eggs in a nest, but she argued back that maybe a bird had to lay an egg real badly and it just popped out right up there in the clouds by accident “birds don’t wear Depends you know”. The more I think about it…. well, it could happen.

24 Kirk December 20, 2013 at 10:13 AM

All of the apartments along willow pass should be bulldozed. Scumbag central.

25 EggNog December 20, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Wow…how rude.

Why has time to do this type of nasty stuff? Are kids out of school now?

Hope the moron is caught. Disgusting.

26 C December 20, 2013 at 11:24 AM

@Rollo Tomasi

You sound like someone who’s not very smart.

27 Craig Cannon December 20, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Dodge Product? I’ve been Egged Many Times (Job Related) never has one ever caused more than a Clean-Up. On A Serious Side. An Egg Itself Appears Unlikely to do that, but it must have. Not safely built Ride. I’m Glad you were not Hurt. So Sorry. It’ll Come Back on The Perp(s). Give it Time. Careful Out Here, lots of Violent Stuff County Wide. Always is Around Now!

28 nytemuvr December 20, 2013 at 5:28 PM

@Dr. Jellyfinger#23
I get it a raven….I’ve seen ducks drop eggs flying off the nest fishing “in my van down by the river”. Back in the 70s we used to follow cops and when they made a turn we threw eggs at their cars and the chase was on. I was the thrower and not the driver….great fun like running with scissors.

29 Atticus Thraxx December 20, 2013 at 6:12 PM

I’ll give it some thought Carlos. But everyone I meet who has a uterus, throws like a girl.

30 Dr. Jellyfinger December 20, 2013 at 9:13 PM

@ nytemuvr , Actually I overlooked that bird reference…. Raven was an actual brand name for one of the cheapest guns ever made. A real POS I’m embarrassed I ever bought it & lucky I ever found someone foolish enough to give me $50 for it.

You know I’ll bet everyone has had birds poop all over their car before. Maybe the feathered fiends are just kicking it up a notch.

31 That Guy December 20, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Not a Dodge, that is a Ford F150 mirror. Trust me I just replaced mine. 220.00 for OEM replacement. You can buy a knock off for 100 bucks, but expect to pay double if you have heated mirrors. If you do have heated mirrors.