Martinez Man Arrested in CoCo County for 1995 Murder in Barstow

December 19, 2013 15:56 pm · 13 comments

A 42-year-old Martinez man was arrested for murder last week in connection with an 18-year-old cold case, authorities said.

Fernando Leo Trujillo was arrested by deputies from the Contra Costa County Sheriff’s Department on Dec. 11, as a suspect in the 1995 murder of Barstow resident Dwayne Askew and participation in a criminal street gang, according a news release from the Barstow Police Department.

Read the entire story on the website of the Desert Dispatch, which has all the information on the suspect and the crime he allegedly committed.

{ 13 comments }

1 Incognito December 19, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Love hearing cold case files being solved.
Can’t imagine living for 18 years always wondering when someone would be knocking at my door…

2 Atticus Thraxx December 19, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Said it before, I’ll say it again, nothing good happens in Barstow.

3 Connie Dobbs December 19, 2013 at 6:01 PM

We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold. I remember saying something like ‘I feel a bit lightheaded; maybe you should drive…’ And suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us and the sky was full of what looked like huge bats, all swooping and screeching and diving around the car, which was going about a hundred miles an hour with the top down to Las Vegas. And a voice was screaming: ‘Holy Jesus! What are these goddamn animals?’

4 J. December 19, 2013 at 6:18 PM

” … Barstow, Arizona, and don’t forget Winona … “

5 Atticus Thraxx December 19, 2013 at 7:11 PM

” Every now and then when your life gets complicated and the weasels start closing in, the only real cure is to load up on heinous chemicals and then drive like a bastard from Hollywood to Las Vegas. To relax, as it were, in the womb of the desert sun. Just roll the roof back and screw it on, grease the face with white tanning butter and move out with the music at top volume, and at least a pint of ether.”
Good book.

6 Ancient Mariner December 19, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Been there.
Agree.

7 Col December 20, 2013 at 6:23 AM

@Connie#3
You were in bat country. If you stayed awake, the flying mqnta rays were to follow:)

8 Col December 20, 2013 at 6:24 AM

Manta*

9 Connie Dobbs December 20, 2013 at 8:26 AM

Then it was quiet again. My attorney had taken his shirt off and was pouring beer on his chest, to facilitate the tanning process. “What the hell are you yelling about?” he muttered, staring up at the sun with his eyes closed and covered with wraparound Spanish sunglasses. “Never mind,” I said. “It’s your turn to drive.” I hit the brakes and aimed the Great Red Shark toward the shoulder of the highway. No point mentioning those bats, I thought. The poor bastard will see them soon enough.

10 Connie Dobbs December 20, 2013 at 8:28 AM

But the only thing that worried me was the ether. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge.

11 North Concord December 20, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Mainy!!!!

12 Craig Cannon December 21, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Nice.

13 Col December 21, 2013 at 9:08 AM

And I knew we’d get into that rotten stuff pretty soon.