Walnut Creek Half-Marathon to Block Streets in Concord & WC on Saturday

December 13, 2013 17:00 pm · 28 comments

Tomorrow, Saturday, December 14, 2013, the Walnut Creek Half Marathon will take place in Walnut Creek & Concord. The race starts at 7:00AM on Civic Drive (at Civic Park) and will proceed:

• North on Civic to North on Oak Rd to
• East on Treat Blvd to
• South on Cowell to
• West on Ygnacio Valley Rd to
• North on San Carlos into Heather Farm Park and onto the Canal Trail

There will be several road closures and the race will affect traffic mainly on Ygnacio Valley Rd. and Treat Blvd., and particularly the neighborhoods that feed onto those streets.

The WCPD encourages anyone with plans to travel on those streets between 7:00AM and 12:00PM to allow extra time for traffic delays.

{ 28 comments }

1 Anon December 13, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Why not just have it on 242 and 680?

2 Katy December 13, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Our on one of the many trails we have here.

3 funny man December 13, 2013 at 6:44 PM

gesh cant they go jogging somewhere that i wont be inconvienced by!

4 Schmee December 13, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Heard already. Don’t you know it’s first or nothing. Scoop or die lol.

5 BUT December 13, 2013 at 6:53 PM

it’s a spare the air day . . . . . . .

6 harry December 13, 2013 at 7:07 PM

A marathon during the Christmas crush? Who thunk this one up?

7 Curious George December 13, 2013 at 7:27 PM

@Anon….Hahahahahah!!!! I agree…what bright bulb planned this route?? Not real smart.

8 Gilbert December 13, 2013 at 7:40 PM

@ Katy – if you had half a brain you’d realize this isn’t a trail run. However, feel free to join the fun next year! Toddles!

9 @Gilbert December 13, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Perhaps Katy meant the miles of asphalt
trails we have in and around Claycord.
So perhaps Gil, you should use your half
a brain, and not be such a Richard.
Happy holidays!

10 mika December 13, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Treat AND YV Road closed at the same time? Yikes!

11 H December 13, 2013 at 9:03 PM

And people complained about the Bike race. Ths will be way worse, traffic wise.

12 alm December 13, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Thanks, now I have to go to work almost 2 hours early. Sleep is for the weak and feeble.

13 Anon December 13, 2013 at 9:57 PM

14 ANNONeeemoose December 13, 2013 at 10:09 PM

People , you’re crazy! Christmas rush on a Saturday morning? Come on. Geez.

15 RunnerDope December 13, 2013 at 10:45 PM

>> But I do want to ask where does it end? Says Canal Trail? Heather Farms to Canal Trail to…. ???????

To the start of the race at Civic Park.

16 Lake December 13, 2013 at 11:30 PM

I guess I have to go to Sun Valley instead of downtown WC – I guess this is one way to keep people out of downtown.

17 Anon December 13, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Who cares? It’s at 7 AM. And it’s Saturday. Let them run and stop complaining. You should be in bed!

18 Katy December 14, 2013 at 1:41 AM

Please do not feed Gilbert…I mean the trolls.

19 Landana December 14, 2013 at 3:42 AM

Its been going on for a few years at this time of year. So it cant be that much of a problom if people are just now hearing about it. Like the other poster said, they close one lane of three.

20 Bob December 14, 2013 at 8:24 AM

There is worse things people are doing in Claycord than running a half marathon and raising money for local schools. At least they aren’t vandalizing Christmas decorations or steeling UPS packages off people’s porches.

21 Walnut Creek Resident December 14, 2013 at 9:04 AM

It is a wonderful event and we should all support this!! Have a nice
weekend and do not worry that they are messing up your plans.

22 ANON December 14, 2013 at 9:04 AM

“I have run this event te past two years – one lane closed so not full closure on Y V or Treat – support the event it raises funs for local schools too”

I ran the 5K the first 2 years – they stopped traffic on YV the first year–the car people went nuts..poor planning–they changed it the 2nd year

23 momo December 14, 2013 at 11:50 AM

I drove on treat at 7:30 this morning. No big deal. Most people come on this site to complain about everything anyway.

24 Jeff December 14, 2013 at 4:18 PM

You guys are awesome!! I read this and thought, could you possibly pick two worst streets in the area to close down? How stupid.

25 stoner December 14, 2013 at 6:33 PM

@ momo, I agree with you 100 %. Nothing but a bunch of losers without a life!!!

26 Running Fanatic December 15, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Perhaps all the overweight people who can’t stand the thought of doing any form of exercise should go back to bed and stop complaining about those who actually like having an active lifestyle. losers.

27 Dr. Jellyfinger December 15, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Ho ho! That reminds me of the ol gal who jogs past my house every morning. She plugs along like the rhinoceros in “Jumanji” huff, puff, huff puff…. I call out encouragement each day… Alright baby! only half a million miles to go! LOL. I know I should probably join her but I only need about 5 or 10 thousand miles of jogging to get back down to my manly best. Come to think of it I have enough problems with desperate women bugging me for attention. I think I’ll have another slice of pie.

28 Keith December 15, 2013 at 7:01 PM

@ Running Fanatic-26

You can be overweight, and exercise. Or not overweight, and not exercise.

I’m not overweight, and exercise regularly.

Ignore people who don’t live an active lifestyle. They probably won’t live as long, but I doubt they care.