Coroner’s Inquest into the Death of Charles Burns Rescheduled for Feb. 13, 2014

December 13, 2013 8:00 am · 0 comments

Due to unforeseen circumstances, the Coroner’s Inquest concerning the May 10, 2013 death of Charles Burns, previously scheduled for December 19, 2013 has been rescheduled for February 13, 2014, according to the Contra Costa County Office of the Sheriff.

The proceedings will convene at 9:00 AM at the Wakefield Taylor Courthouse, 725 Court Street, Department 15, Room 320 in Martinez, California.

The purpose of the inquest, which Sheriff-Coroner David O. Livingston convenes in fatal incidents involving police officers, is to present the facts of the incident to a jury for their deliberation and finding on the manner of death.

The inquest is open to the public and members of the media are invited to attend. However, no photographs or audio or video recordings may be taken during the proceedings.

Burns, 21, of Bay Point, was shot and killed by Concord Police while they were serving a search warrant at a home in the City of Antioch, police said.

While police were watching the house, Burns allegedly came out and got into a car driven by another 21-year-old Bay Point man.

Officers say they tried to contact Burns to serve the warrant, but the driver of the car allegedly drove off and rammed an occupied police vehicle.

The Contra Costa District Attorney’s Office says as Burns exited the vehicle and was running away from the scene, he turned toward the officers and jammed his hand down the front of his pants, ignoring officers’ commands to put his hands up. He was shot several times and died on scene.

The attorney for the family of Charles Burns claims officers didn’t have a warrant, and says no police vehicle was ever rammed during the incident, and adds that Burns was unarmed at the time of the shooting.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post: