Health Advisory Lifted After Firefighters Fully Extinguish Blaze on Stanwell Dr.

December 11, 2013 11:45 am · 8 comments

fire

Almost eleven hours after a raging fire started on Stanwell Dr. in Concord, the blaze has been extinguished and the Contra Costa County Health Department has lifted a health advisory they issued earlier today.

The following information is from the Contra Costa Health Department:

The health advisory has been lifted. The fire is out and smoke is dissipating. Because of smoke from a fire at 2371 Stanwell in Concord, a health advisory was issued this morning as a precaution for a half mile radius around the fire.

The areas south of Olivera Road and Highway 4, east of 680, north of Willow Pass Road and West of 242.

People with pre-existing respiratory health conditions were advised to avoid the area or keep their windows and doors closed.

As a precautionary measure, our WIC office in Concord is closed for the day because of the nearby fire. People who had WIC appointments today are being contacted by staff to reschedule.

CLAYCORD NOTE: Thanks to Cory for the picture!

RELATED STORIES:

{ 8 comments }

1 Dummy Me... December 11, 2013 at 1:07 PM

DUH! Dummy Me… When I went out for errands today I keep smelling plastic or wiring burning in my truck. Pulled over checked under the hood…nothing. Got to my next stop the smell was even worse…looked under the dash, under the truck and under the hood again…nothing. I finally found the problem when I got home…the fire Claycord has been reporting on since the early am. The smoke and smell from the fire was what I had been smelling all along. I almost brought my truck into the shop for them to check it. When in doubt always check Claycord. Great coverage Mr. Mayor.

2 funny man December 11, 2013 at 1:20 PM

will the air nazis be fining them for this unauthorized burn on a STA day?

3 @Dummy December 11, 2013 at 3:33 PM

That’s funny I was thinking the same when I drove by smelling burnt plastic. Thought something was fried.

4 Marissa December 11, 2013 at 4:00 PM

I smelled this on my way to work this morning, I hope by the time I get off work in an hour, the smell dissapated.

5 anon December 11, 2013 at 4:31 PM

we see homeless people in an out of that vacant building for weeks.

6 rw December 11, 2013 at 10:08 PM

KTVU Ch. 2 reported that this building is being foreclosed on by the lender. Sudddenly there is a fire there. Hmmm!

7 Tiffany December 12, 2013 at 12:06 AM

That’s interesting!

8 Anonymous December 13, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Beware, the site is still quite toxic. I was riding my bike on the path directly behind the burned out building yesterday. There were strong fumes 200 yards before I reach the building and then all the way to Concord Ave. It was so bad it triggered an asthma attack. My first attack in about 10 years since moving from the Central Valley. The site is a hazard and needs to be cleaned up ASAP!

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post: