The Claycord Online Museum – Chubby Humble’s Pioneer Inn in Clayton

December 10, 2013 14:00 pm · 25 comments

chubby
chubby2

Here’s an old matchbook from “Chubby Humble’s Pioneer Inn”, which was located on Marsh Creek Road in Clayton.

The restaurant later became John Jawad’s Pioneer Inn before it became a church.

Anybody remember going to Chubby Humble’s?

Click on the tag below titled “Claycord Online Museum” to view other items!

{ 25 comments }

1 CVCHS Parent December 10, 2013 at 2:02 PM

I like the phone # “Concord 2891″. I used to go there a lot with my family. I remember the meat case where you could pick out the actual steak you wanted.

2 Nicole December 10, 2013 at 2:26 PM

I don’t remember going there, but I just asked my elderly Mom, and she said, “Oh ya, your Dad and I used to go there all the time!”

I guess my parents forgot to bring us kids. That’s what babysitters are for!

3 JET December 10, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Back when Clayton was still ‘Clayton’, and not some yuppy wannabe town full of wine connoisseurs. Bleh.

4 nytemuvr December 10, 2013 at 2:57 PM

John Jawad’s Pioneer Inn was what I remember going to. I think Chubby Humble’s was before my time or I’m too young to remember. Big date night when I was 16+ years old(born 1954). Our first telephone had the Mulberry prefix(MU2-1**1) on Detroit Ave, and the rest of Concord area too I believe. Pre-zip code days was Route 12 for Detroit Ave.

5 Antler December 10, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Chubby Humble’s (which became John Jawad’s) both were our family favorites for special occasions. Yes, nytemuvr, our first home was on Indiana Dr. in Clayton Valley Highlands ( now usually referred to as “The State Streets”) and our area code was “MUlberry”, same as yours on Detroit. From our house to downtown Concord involved the 4-way stop SIGNS at Clayton Rd. and Ygnacio Road intersection (everything two-lane) and then 45 mph commonplace (unless passing riders on horseback) and not a problem all the way non-stop to East Street. Concord Boulevard was a two-lane road with no curbs/sidewalks….. then and now a major drag-race zone.

6 NeverHeardofIt December 10, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Never heard of the place, but it sounds like a place I’d like to visit if it were still around. Good simpler times. Glad I was able to experience some of it.

7 nytemuvr December 10, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Does anyone remember what housing division was Thornwwood Dr., Glazier Dr. area?…or was it not a housing division like Holbrook Heights, Dana Estates, Sun Terrance, Canterberry Village, etc.? Was it Bishop Estates?

8 MadMom December 10, 2013 at 4:18 PM

John Jawad’s was the first place that my dad bought me a drink. I wasn’t even quite legal yet!

9 Curly Howard December 10, 2013 at 4:18 PM

“It’s a CHOICH, now!”

10 Julio December 10, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Chubby Humbles, yes, so many years ago! Special for birthdays sometimes.
Before P. Hill and W.C. became YEllowstone + ++++ phone numbers.

11 Fritzhugh Ludlow December 10, 2013 at 5:34 PM

My Grand Pa always called it “Chubby Humble’s” even after it became John Jawad’s Pioneer Inn. Years ago I suprised a lot of Old timers on the local Sport fishing Boats, when the subject came up and they were trying to remember that name. I understand that the Military made it an Officer’s Club in World War II….And of course Jack Nicholson’s Classic film:”The Wild Ride” filmed the teenage/wild kids dance scene there.(What was it called when the British Flag was painted on it in the 80′s/90′s?)

12 anon December 10, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Forgive my forgetful memory. Isn’t the Pioneer Inn where John Wayne would visit every so often for a steak? Didn’t they have antlers on the walls of one of the dining areas? :)

13 Denise December 10, 2013 at 5:54 PM

@ nytemuvr-7

I grew up in Bishop Park, which is right across Concord Blvd. from Bishop Estates. (The last subdivision before Bailey Rd.)

It’s not Bishop Park or Bishop Estates. A few of the streets off Thornwood. were the original Silverwood. They all end in “wood” streets. I’m not sure if Thornwood is the original part of Silverwood, but I doubt Glacier Dr. is.(Too far down). As far as I know, the rest of the streets didn’t have a subdivision name. Bishop Park, Bishop Estates and Silverwood (I think) are the only subdivisions in the area you’re referring to.

14 @Fritz December 10, 2013 at 6:19 PM

lol, was it called another thing, when s is there, nothing else matters. as it should be. :-D

15 @Fritz December 10, 2013 at 6:20 PM

The sale sign is clear.

16 Silva December 10, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Anyone remember the old Marsh Creek Contry Club? My mom used to take me @ 1958 & 1959. Had 2 swimming pools & horses. If she could’ve afforded it, the membership was pretty reasonable.

17 Wayne M. December 10, 2013 at 7:21 PM

I once won a contest with the Contra Costa Times in 1988, and got to illustrate an ad for that place. Probably was John Jawad’s by then, but that was when Clayton was still Clayton. At the tail end.

18 Laura Zah December 10, 2013 at 8:32 PM

@Jet – C’mon down to The Clayton Club & say that.

19 John Locker December 11, 2013 at 6:44 AM

I remember the seeing the place while driving through Clayton. I may have gone into it once back in the early ’70′s – did it have wooden plank floors?

Silva – I have memories of Marsh Creek Lodge. The swimming pool, concession stand, and the dance gazebo. My parents went there and took me sometimes. Later (in the ’70′s) I would play golf on the small course they had. It was the oly thing left from the Lodge.

20 JET December 11, 2013 at 7:15 AM

@ nytemuvr-7

I grew up in that area. Thornwood Drive is considered part of ‘Springwood’. Also from Glazier over to Denkinger is known as the ‘Crestview’ neighborhood (my parents bought a new home in Crestview in 1962 thats how I know).

21 SFFD10 December 11, 2013 at 8:40 AM

In 1972 we bought our first house in Dana Hills. The sales agent for Mr Rhalves was named Kent, and he took us to lunch at the Pioneer Inn to celebrate the conclusion of our purchase.We went there a few times for dinner, but really enjoyed the bar and lounge on Saturday nights with the live piano bar. I find it interesting that when the city council elections were held about a year ago, two of the candidates suggested that what Clayton really needed downtown was a jazz club. I totally agree.

22 Silva December 11, 2013 at 10:44 AM

John Locker- Oh what fun! I used to drive up Marsh Creek Road and recognize where the old entrance was. Not anymore!

23 Some Dude December 11, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Wait….so you’re telling me there was a bar called Chubby Humbles and it was allowed to change names and eventually become a damn church?

24 nytemuvr December 11, 2013 at 12:45 PM

@JET #20 @Denise #13
You must mean the new Denkinger Rd., but that was Mr. Dianda’s walnut orchards and we bought some of his orchards in ’66 and built 2 houses on the old Denkinger Rd.(Ct.) by Clayton Valley Elementary school. Silvercrest sounds familiar but not Crestview to me. I was too damn busy rototilling our orchards then after school and picking up walnuts, tons of fun! Crestwood must had been north of Glazier, behind the Ace Hardware/Happy Steak lot next to Mr. Dianda’s house and buildings(where the Safeway is now). Those brain cells have a lot of wear on them, thanks for the info, I lost the bet. Denise, you must have went to CHS….Class of ’72 here.

25 Mr. Pink December 18, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Check out Chubby’s in The Wild Ride, starring a very young Jack Nicholson. Jump forward to 6:55.