Winter Spare the Air Alert Issued for Tuesday December 10th

December 9, 2013 18:17 pm · 68 comments

sparetheair

The Bay Area Air Quality Management District (BAAQMD) has issued the seventh Spare the Air alert of the season, banning wood burning on Tuesday December 10th.

The following information is from the BAAQMD:

Wood burning is banned both indoors and outdoors tomorrow, Tuesday December 10, 2013.

Air quality in the Bay Area is forecast to be unhealthy. It is illegal for Bay Area residents to burn wood or other solid fuels in fireplaces, wood stoves and inserts, pellet stoves, outdoor fire-pits, or other wood-burning devices.

This wood-burning ban will be in effect for Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Napa, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, southern Sonoma and southwestern Solano Counties.

Winter air pollution is mainly caused by particulates or soot pollution from wood smoke. Smoke from wood-burning fires is linked to illnesses such as asthma, bronchitis and lung disease, and is especially harmful for children and the elderly.

For more information about the Wood Burning Rule, or to check before you burn, visit www.sparetheair.org or call 1-877-4NO-BURN.

You can also call 1-800-430-1515 and register to receive automatic phone calls when a Winter Spare the Air Alert has been called.

To see the current air quality forecast visit www.sparetheair.org.

Visit the Apple App Store to download our FREE Spare the Air iPhone application for alert notifications, local air quality forecasts, podcasts and several tools to help reduce air pollution!

Thank you for doing your part to Spare the Air!

This AirAlert is provided by your Bay Area Air Quality Management District.

{ 68 comments }

1 I'm shocked. December 9, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Just SHOCKED, I tell you.

2 Bobfshed December 9, 2013 at 6:26 PM

It only applies to wood. You can burn all the petroleum products you want. They are safe and renewable.

3 Shelley December 9, 2013 at 6:32 PM

I’m glad if no other reason to tick off all the morons on Claycord who won’t respect people with breathing problems.

4 Ted K. December 9, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Sorry… the wood is burning already and will continue to do so continuously until the frigid “climate change” desists.

SUCK IT BAAQMD… the air was fine on Thanksgiving Day and you didn’t have the backbone to call a STA Day because you and your ivory tower bureaucrats would have been hiding in the hills as a result of the public outrage.

SUCK IT AGAIN BAAQMD.

5 Anon December 9, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Come on. We are freezing and can’t afford to run the heater.
What happens if you get a ticket and don’t pay it. This is ridiculous

6 barn December 9, 2013 at 7:00 PM

bite me baaqmd im burning

7 @Ted K. #4 December 9, 2013 at 7:08 PM

It’s not the BAAQMD that is paying the price, it’s your neighbor with the breathing condition.

8 Anon December 9, 2013 at 7:08 PM

I would guess more pollution is created by BAAQMD driving around trying to find these THREE offenders.

9 Sheila December 9, 2013 at 7:25 PM

@ Ted K. …..(4)

You sound like a very charming individual…..

10 Bobfshed December 9, 2013 at 7:25 PM

@#3
Sorry the only way you have to heat your home is by burning petroleum products. We could list all the negative effects of burning and producing these products but I don’t think it would do any good.

11 Elwood December 9, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Yes, the air quality today was just terrible today. I couldn’t read a newspaper on Mt. Diablo from PH. Only the headlines.

12 EcoNerd December 9, 2013 at 8:07 PM

The usual trolls Ted K and Elwood are out spewing more hot air than all the solid fuel sources in the Bay.

13 anonmtz December 9, 2013 at 8:34 PM

This subject is always good for a 40 to 60 count of postings for the sites advertising promotions. Worked for me.

14 Diablo December 9, 2013 at 8:54 PM

When pg&e gives us free power for the days we can’t burn I’ll abide, until that time I will do what is needed to save my penny’s and keep my family warm.

15 anon December 9, 2013 at 9:23 PM

#5 you could move to a neighborhood you can afford

16 Too much gov't December 9, 2013 at 9:27 PM

BAAQMD has well over 200 employees. Most make close to $100k a year + benefits. Top dog makes over $200,000 plus benefits. Complete waste of money.

17 concord resident December 9, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Actually Obama is every bit as evil as Hitler. He is a muslim socialist which makes him a COMMUNIST for those who don’t like to make the connection. His one goal is the destruction of America and the conversion of American from a Christian nation into a muslim state run by himself as a dictator…….not as an elected official. There is now serious talk about eliminating the term limit restriction which would allow him to run again………plus what everyone overlooks is that if the country goes into martial law (which is where he wants it to go with the race division and his NSA and Homeland Security buildup) all elections are automatically cancelled and he can rule as long as the “emergency” exists. To borrow a line from a movie called “The Fly” years ago……………”be afraid, be very afraid.” Obama is the worst thing that has ever happened to America. He is more deadly and devastating than all the wars we have ever fought. And his sole power comes from those who are drinking his koolaid and from a liberal media that has been bought by his administration and refuse to tell the TRUTH about this monster. Like my comments or not, but folks, the truth is the truth and will always be the truth no matter how you try to ignore or sugarcoat it. GOD Bless America because we sure need it. TIme to roll up our shirt sleeves and start cleaning house. Need to get back to the laws that say Congress has to live by the same laws they pass for us……..no special exclusions. Need to get rid of about 500 of those 535 officials. Of course, some 350 or so of them are socialists as well. (Again, remember that means Communist).

18 Kirk December 9, 2013 at 9:40 PM

It will be interesting if a pg&e gas line bursts after being run at 100% capacity for three weeks straight.

A few people will be incinerated but at least there won’t be any smoke, oh wait . . .

It’s funny how people never realize the potential problems of always getting their way.

19 ??? December 9, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Thanks Elwood I needed that:)crack me up:)

20 Anonymous December 9, 2013 at 9:51 PM

That’s right Shelly think only of yourself,again

21 Killjoy December 9, 2013 at 10:06 PM

According to the news, the first offense is your choice of a $100 fine or take a class.
Second fine is $500.

22 Shuley December 9, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Wood stove crsnking. Its my f-ing HEAT!

23 Dominic T December 9, 2013 at 10:25 PM

@ Anonymous—20

Shut up, you moron. Learn how to spell Shelley, and put a period at the end of your sentence.

24 Anonymous December 9, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Amendment IV of the US Constitution

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Amendment VII of the US Constitution

In suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a jury, shall be otherwise reexamined in any court of the United States, than according to the rules of the common law.

And for all of you who think that the air quality index is what BAAQMD says it is, please let me know and I’ll cite the real statistics, backed by a government website.

There are no unhealthy air conditions this week of frigid cold. Period.

25 eyewhen December 9, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Burning as we speak… will burn tomorrow too

26 Eric Burns December 9, 2013 at 10:45 PM

You don’t have to look too hard for the weather forecast- the STA app show the entire Bay Area has GOOD air quality (in the green) all week, yet there is still a ban. Can you explain that?

27 12gauge December 9, 2013 at 10:52 PM

$ grab? yes. people having wood fires will NOT harm people with breathing conditions. this is bs. we will continue to burn. f*** baaqmd

28 anonmtz December 9, 2013 at 10:57 PM

24…typical MDSD alum…..no critical thinking skills.

29 Bobfshed December 9, 2013 at 11:15 PM

In order to help with air quality everyone shoud take public transportation for the rest of the week. No burning petroleum products.

30 HadEnuf December 9, 2013 at 11:23 PM

perhaps the idiots running around looking for smoke could be looking for the scumbags breaking into cars and stealing packages off porches. At least they would be doing something useful

31 honeeburns December 10, 2013 at 12:37 AM

@anonymouS you have made some remarks on my cousin Charles Burns article stating that he deserves to die and the good guys came home that’s where you are wrong obviously you are not an intelligent person to believe that or maybe you are Police yourself and you are not very intelligent let me just let you know Charles was a great man and he did not deserve what he got maybe one day cuz I can guarantee you an officer will hurt someone in your family and then you will understand the pain our family has been through for you to say that he deserve to die even if he was a drug dealer wHat he was not is just plain heartless people make mistakes I know plenty of drug attics and drug dealers and they don’t deserve to die as well you need help I suggest that you get some kind of counseling because you are no judge jury and you definitely are not Jesus Christ himself so for you to judge on something you know nothing about disgust me and you are a disgusting human being and I can guarantee you you have a lot of bad karma coming your way that’s why you stay anonymous why are you such a coward we all post r name most of us the ones that are real and new Charles like me myself he was my cousin I’ve known him pretty much as long as I can remember I watch Him grow up and grow into a handsome man you disgust me as a human being to say that he deserves to die and I hope thAt when you sleep at night you see his face because that’s the type of man he was he would come to you in a dream let you know what type of person you are to say that we deserve to lose such a precious person our lives he was a wonderful man Son brother companion cousin nephew and Friends uncle as well just all around good human being he helped everyone he came in contact with and he had a smile that none of us will ever get out of our heads I don’t wish this on anyone not even my worst enemy I wouldn’t consider you my worst enemy but I was considering you someone I really dislike and I don’t wish this on you but unfortunately the way the law is in these please are I can almost guarantee you in your lifetime you will lose someone to a peace officer police officer some kind of law enforcement and then maybe you will understand my name is honeE burns and you can contact me when that day comes because I can guarantee you it will all this you that you have to say about a ticket ticket is not losing a life you sound plain ignorant

32 @Dominick - 23 December 10, 2013 at 4:43 AM

You shouldn’t call people names. It makes you sound like a third grader. Of course, you may actually be a third grader, which would explain some things.

33 Russ December 10, 2013 at 7:04 AM

THIS…….IS………BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

26 effing degrees at night, not a cloud in the sky! If the air wasn’t clear yesterday, when will it be??????????

I’m gonna have a bake sale to save up the $100 for a fine

34 Anonymous December 10, 2013 at 7:30 AM

Shelly (as usual) had decided that breathing problems arise because people want to stay warm. That is baloney. She has no concern for others

35 Tony December 10, 2013 at 8:02 AM

I live in the U.K. and started keeping an eye on Claycord during the Mt Diable fires, as I have relatives in the area. As a result your posts still pop up on my facebook page. The site is great but some of the comments are incredible. I realise we have some crazy people over here, but compared to some of your lot we’re amateurs!

Big thanks to Concord Resident for the “Actually Obama is every bit as evil as Hitler” post, funniest thing I’ve seen all day!

Wow!

36 follow the money December 10, 2013 at 8:04 AM

This is ridiculous I am so sick of stupid California regulations and the little granola eating fudge packing dems who back these crazy regulations up….

Let’s talk about natural gas for a minute…this form of energy is DESTROYING our planet…it’s causing unnatural earthquakes in areas that don’t usually have earthquakes (google fracking causes earthquakes in Midwest) it’s also contaminating drinking sources throughout the US….so with that said I don’t understand how burning a few wood logs to keep my family warm and save money is a crime compared to what govt agencies and officials are doing to stuff their pocketbooks…

To all you little opera losers with breathing problems…go smoke a bowl and chill the eff out!

That includes u too shelley! Get real

37 Ted K. December 10, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Sheila @9

…. you’re a three-toed sloth. :o)

38 Anonymous December 10, 2013 at 8:21 AM

Funny how on the news they were just talking about how PGE said their prices may be rising for gas due to supply and demand.

39 Facts December 10, 2013 at 8:24 AM

Get ready for another one tomorrow.

40 shuckaduckie December 10, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Shuckaduckie
• a few seconds ago

I wish people would start dealing with facts. This is total bull. When is someone going to call BAAQM on these lies? Yesterday’s North County peak PM2.5 level was 58. They had 102 on their website.

The day before the North County Peak was 72. BAAQMD had 112 on their website.

This is getting beyond contemptible. Will someone that is in a position to do something about this do something about it??

41 @17 December 10, 2013 at 9:11 AM

You’re spot on. You’re not alone. We can see right through it. Just saw a photo of POTUS SHAKING HANDS WITH CASTRO AT MANDELA’S FUNERAL (another communist inspiration for Obama) .

Yahoo news http://news.yahoo.com/obama-shakes-hands-cuba-39-castro-mandela-memorial-003922095.html;_ylt=A2KJ3CVLHadS40sAO3DQtDMD

42 BAAQMD Targets Little People December 10, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Airports, refineries, ports, non-essential traffic may continue today. Please don’t burn a piece of oak. BAAQMD finds it easy to target the little people, with all the money we provide them, to justify their existence. What a joke.

43 anon December 10, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Based on comments this is a class thing.

Clearly the educated get it.

44 Facts December 10, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Remember, the top people…like Jack Bend-you-over Broadbent were appointed by your ELECTED officials as paybacks for favors. Those people then hire people with the same mind set..we are going to do what is right for you no matter what and no matter how it infringes on your rights because we know better. These are the same people that want you out of your single family homes and into multi family housing. Out of your cars and trucks and into public transportation. Just remember how everything you buy arrives at those stores..ships, trains and then trucks, not public transportation. How will you take vacation trips on public transportation?? This all of that Al Gore global warming BS and the people that follow that mind set. If exhaust fumes are the cause of health problems during the summer why is it during the winter they are not? Same number of vehicles on the road but not the same amount of pollution? No because they want to eliminate wood burning for heat even though their figures show that EPA certified wood burning devices produce no more pollution than gas burning devices and remember that there are millions of gas burning devices spewing pollutants everyday.
Just checked the National Weather Service forecast for today and tomorrow. Those areas listed already on the Spare the air site have winds listed anywhere from 3-5 miles and hour and up. Also no air stagnation or air quality warnings posted. Think about it people.

45 follow the money December 10, 2013 at 9:52 AM

@anon #43..by educated do you mean educated by our broken shattered California schools??…give me a break you’re clearly on a high horse and not in touch with reality…I would argue that many people without “higher education” are smarter, wittier, and have more common sense than you and most of the “ivy league” assholes in the area.

46 The Mamba December 10, 2013 at 9:59 AM

So cold.

47 Shelley December 10, 2013 at 10:24 AM

@ Anonymous-34, Ted K.-37

STFU!!!

48 Get a rake December 10, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Ban blowers

49 Cowellian December 10, 2013 at 11:39 AM

My, my, Shelley, that sure added a lot to the conversation.

50 tired of taxes December 10, 2013 at 11:58 AM

There is an opening in BAAQMD for an “Air Quality Program Manager” that pays “$116,955.89 – $142,160.62 Annually”

So go get that job and change the system from within.

51 Keeping it Real December 10, 2013 at 12:09 PM

@ Cowellian~~~~(49)

If you’re being told to STFU, you probably need to STFU. The truth hurts.

Anonymous came at Shelley on a couple of threads, and she’s firing back. The Bay Area isn’t the South.

52 @45 December 10, 2013 at 12:10 PM

If you were smart and educated you would get it. You don’t.

53 Bobfshed December 10, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Over two thirds of the winter PM 2.5 comes from sources OTHER than wood fires. During the winter spare the air the media does not encourage anyone to do anything about cutting down on these other contributions. Probably because its manufacturing and burning petroleum products. The natural gas engines that are used to generate electricity contribute not only to PM 2.5 but to greenhouse gases. Very large amounts!

54 Bobfshed December 10, 2013 at 12:52 PM

The only thing that will stop these air alerts is if we stop burning petroleum. That will not happen! Wood is a very small part of this whole picture but its the only one the BAAQMD will go after because the will not go up against the big boys. ( Chevron, Ford, United Airlines, Exxon, PG&E, Linn Energy…… ) You want to stop PM2.5? Charge $15 a gallon for gas and make it $1500 to fly to LA.
It’s not the wood burning! If you really think that burning wood is the problem then you are not as educated as you think.

55 Mrs. V December 10, 2013 at 1:30 PM

@Keeping it Real
You probably can take that advice.

56 Bobfshed December 10, 2013 at 1:55 PM

If your not heating with wood then your heating with petroleum. Explain to everyone why burning petroleum products is better for our planet than burning wood.

57 Russ December 10, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Todays AQI is moderate. Yesterday was good. Tomorrow is supposed to be moderate. Wondering why it was a no burn day yesterday when quality was good……….

58 Keeping it Real December 10, 2013 at 1:57 PM

@ Mrs. V-55

You can STFU too.

59 Cowellian December 10, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Keeping it Real@51
Nope, I certainly don’t need to STFU.
So what you’re posting is neither real nor truth.

60 Agree with #44 December 10, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Although he has interesting formatting choices, he is correct. New EPA wood-burning devices are very clean. The federal government even subsidizes them with a Biomass Tax Credit to reduce our dependency on foreign oil. Yet, the BAAQMDXYZ bans them too. Almost like it’s not really about the pollution, but control.

61 Mrs. V December 10, 2013 at 2:20 PM

@Keeping it Real
Wel, no, I excercise my right of freedoim of speech.

62 Nicole December 10, 2013 at 2:34 PM

@ Cowellian*****59

I don’t see where Keeping It Real was telling you to shut up. He/she was explaining why Shelley was getting back at Anonymous. If it’s the same Anonymous who was harassing Angelica the other night (and I believe it is, he was harassing Shelley too), he needs to shut up!

Anonymous posted 10-15 different posts on the same thread, harassing a lot of women. He claims he and his wife are over 70. So much for wising up through the years.

Watch him come at me now…….I don’t care!!!

63 @52 December 10, 2013 at 3:04 PM

I am college educated, smart, and probably have more life experience than you do. You sound like an old man with shriveled up b*lls…so suck it.

If you’re such a smarty pants then how come your opposing argument doesn’t state any facts and can’t be squeezed into anything longer than a sentence or two??

PREDICTED RESPONSE: Your not educated so therefore you don’t get it. HAHA I agree with KEEP IT REAL …most of you on here need to STFU!

64 @ Nichole December 10, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Aren’t you the clever one? Just when old Anonymous had everyone fooled , you figured him out.
Good for you girl.
You do understand that lots of people use anonymous, dont you?

Idiot

65 Denise December 10, 2013 at 6:13 PM

@ Nichole-64 (should be Nicole)

It’s the same Anonymous. He has been harassing Shelley. (And Angelica a lot worse).

The Mayor reads these posts (I’m assuming he does).

You’re the moron. You obviously didn’t read the same thread the another night, or you’re not very perceptive.

66 Claire December 10, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Not only do I think it’s the same Anonymous, I think @Nichole (#64) is the same Anonymous. (He’s referring to Anonymous as “old Anonymous”, and pointing out there’s a lot of Anonymous on Claycord. This Anonymous always spells names wrong.

He told people on another thread he and his wife are over 70. Personally, I think he’s senile. He asked Shelley if she had “12 toes.”

There may be a lot of different forms of Anonymous, but they don’t harass women like this guy does.

If I was running this website, I’d delete his posts. But I’m not, so all I can do is ignore them.

I see through this person, and find him not only sad, but pathetic.

67 Sparky McWortney December 17, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Honest question: What if I get a ticket from BAAQMD and simply don’t pay it? First one for $100…then the next for $500…then higher and higher, though they don’t specify. But what actual power do they have? Can they garnish my wages? Loop in their comrades from the IRS? Or their fellow travelers at the DMV?
I burn when I burn and I almost hope I get a ticket or tickets, I will never pay a DIME, are they going to drag me out of my house in front of my family and take me to jail? I will find a pro bono lawyer and take this to the Supreme Court, because these unelected scientific FRAUDS have no right to do this. “Illegal” to burn. Who gave them that right? Are they actual lawmakers?
What a joke…I just wish I was “educated” enough to get it!

68 Connie Dobbs December 18, 2013 at 8:08 AM

#67 They’ll put a lien on the house, I bet, just like if the property taxes aren’t paid. The owner can’t sell until the debt is satisfied, or they’ll just take the house and put the owner out.