The Our Lady of Guadalupe Parade in Concord on Sunday Morning

December 8, 2013 21:25 pm · 13 comments

The “Our Lady of Guadalupe” parade took place in Concord on Sunday morning.

The yearly parade starts on Detroit Avenue near Costco and then goes down Whitman to Oak Grove to St.Francis Church.

While the Catholics of Mexico are most famously associated with Our Lady of Guadalupe, it is shared by many countries in Central America.

The dancers and segments of the parade are representative of the diversity of the Central American region and include those dressed in both native Aztec, Mayan and other pre-Columbus dress which is native to Central America as well as groups in provincial dress and character.

Thanks to Concord City Councilman Edi Birsan for the photos and information from the parade.

To read more about the reasons behind this annual parade, please click HERE.

{ 13 comments }

1 Dr. Jellyfinger December 8, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Madre de Dios! Kinda cold weather for dressing up (or down) like a Mayan. Extra feathers for me! Thankyouverymuch.

2 Concord Mike December 9, 2013 at 8:34 AM

A wonderful tradition. Thanks Edi for taking the pictures.

3 Jorge December 9, 2013 at 9:18 AM

What a great way to honor our city’s Mexican heritage.

4 BreakingJen December 9, 2013 at 9:18 AM

It’s nice to see our area actually supporting other cultures instead of bashing them. Maybe someday there can be a post about a cultural celebration that doesn’t bring out all of the racists who call COCO County home, someday….

5 Miguel December 9, 2013 at 10:09 AM

I hope they had fun!

6 Marissa December 9, 2013 at 10:23 AM

These are wonderful pictures, Edi, thank you. You have to really enjoy the barrage of cultures in claycord. :-)

7 Amen, BreakingJen! December 9, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Ditto for me! Variety truly is the spice of life. Silva

8 A liberal December 9, 2013 at 2:18 PM

What? No comments about illegals? Are the usual commenters out sick today?

9 mwo1859 December 9, 2013 at 3:27 PM

A great honor yes. But doesn’t that area have the most crime. Sorry I am just saying.

10 Anon December 9, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Pretty fast today, but those who say racism ought to look up the term assuming they speak English. Being from another country, does not imply a different race. Of course it does imply those who misuse the term are not well educated.

11 Pedro December 9, 2013 at 6:44 PM

I’ll never forget being stuck on Oak Grove for 45 minutes as hundreds of illegals marched down the middle of the street chanting “Si, se puede” (yes we can) demanding legalization for all immigrants. Of course they were being escorted by Concord finest. ICE was busy buying tacos down the road. Maybe I’ll go down to Mexico and buy a house and march in the street for my rights. Of course both of these are impossible to do in Mexico if you are NOT A CITIZEN!

12 @11 December 9, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Your ancestors became citizens because they showed up. Showed up and murdered a few natives. White America refers to it as “The survival of the fittest.”

Complain if they trick your mom into signing over the deed to her house and shoot your father. Or round your family up and send them to a concentration camp to be starved to death.

No? Then let the competition of the free world continue, unless you can’t compete?

13 Marcus December 9, 2013 at 8:38 PM

@11-#12

Maybe Pedro aint’t white! He sounds Hispanic to me. Unless that’s not his real name.

People think I’m black because Marcus “sounds black.” If I was white, I’d probably be Mark.

I’m happy they had a good time. A lot of pride in these type of parades.