The Aggressive Beggars are Back with Several More Children & a Man – Now in Walnut Creek

December 7, 2013 16:45 pm · 119 comments

whole_foods

whole_foods2

We told you earlier this week about the very aggressive beggars from Romania who will not take “no” for an answer when you refuse to give them money.

They were at Costco, Target (in Pleasant Hill), Safeway (Countrywood, Walnut Creek), Safeway (Clayton) and several other locations this week, and now they’re in front of Whole Foods in Walnut Creek, but they now have several more children than they had earlier this week, and a man is now standing with the woman.

A Claycordian talked to them, and here’s what they had to say….

“Saw them piling out of this late model van. There are more kids than you see in the picture. I approached the man and said there are many social services available. He answered in perfect English, “I just got here from Romania and spent all my money on a motel. We’re on the list.” I suggested he have his kids wait in the new van instead if freezing on the corner. One of the kids said that he likes it “out here”. It makes me sick the parents are using their kids.

Thanks for the pictures & information.

In June of last year, one of the Roma women (not the one pictured above) was arrested at the Main Concord Post Office by the Concord Police, and she was allegedly on drugs at the time of her arrest. Her husband was also contacted, and they were both found with several hundred dollars on them at the time of the woman’s arrest.

Just a day after her arrest, another woman took her spot at the Main Post Office, she was also from Romania. The Police were called to make contact with her, but she was picked up by a man in the Home Depot parking lot before Police arrived.

Since then, dozens of different women with several different children have been spotted around our area, aggressively begging for money.

Almost every single time, the women are dropped off and picked up by an unknown male in a van.

{ 119 comments }

1 Hmmm December 7, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Yea.. That’s the family from the winco parking lot from over a month ago… Got the plate number is anyone wants it!

2 Catlady December 7, 2013 at 4:52 PM

I saw them in front of Safeway today in pleasant hill (the old one near bed bath and beyond).

3 tee December 7, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Year and ask them Who bought that nice van. They make me sick..

4 Amy December 7, 2013 at 4:54 PM

A month ago I saw a man and a woman holding a baby in the Martinez Walmart parking lot. They yelled at passers by to give them money. One person yelled back for them to go home and someone called the Martinez police. The police told me that the beggars were with in their rights to ask shoppers for money and there was no evidence of child abuse so he let them stay. Go figure.

5 Prostitute December 7, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Seems like it. Straight up. And Please some encounter these people, record it, and say NO. LOL I wanna know what happens.

6 Anon December 7, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Offer them pepper spray.

7 Janey Yakas December 7, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Someone should contact the police…seems like some broader scam given the trends mentioned.

8 Elwood December 7, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Tell the bleeping Romas to f off.

How is it that that guy is in this country?

The Romas are a scourge which should be eradicated.

9 wc resident December 7, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Call the Police. It’s so wrong on all levels. Please no one give them money and they will give up and go away!

10 C December 7, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Looks like a legal form of prostitution

11 furian December 7, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Time to start calling the police whenever they pop. These kids need to be taken away.

12 WOW December 7, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Sad that people feel this way.

13 worth noting December 7, 2013 at 5:12 PM

i see you blocked out the children’s faces. as a news site, this isn’t necessary as they’re in a public space with no expectation of privacy. there’s no legal reason to do this.

14 anonanonagain December 7, 2013 at 5:20 PM

How sad and pathetic. This is epidemic in Britain and the rest of Europe. Trafficking of people and children and usually it is an organized ring of men exploiting both the women and children. Haul the men into jail for what they are doing. The authorities need to investigate these people……

15 Alana December 7, 2013 at 5:23 PM

I think you should post the license plate # here so others can compare it to other vans with like people in them. The aggressors need to be stopped in their track before it becomes a Romanian mafia like the Russians who were trying to take over a decade ago.

16 someone December 7, 2013 at 5:24 PM

It is sad that the Roma gypsies have made it here too. They have ruined the reputation of Romanians all throughout Europe and now looks like they are doing the same. Just keep in mind Roma gypsies come from India..it is unfortunate that a country like Romania is letting them take over their country and even more sad that some people think that Roma and Romanian is the same.

17 Linda December 7, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Isn’t it illegal to hold signs and beg for money now?
This man doesn’t look disabled. I know men go to Home Depot and other places to get day labor jobs. Why use your kids?

18 momof2 December 7, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Won’t give $ to them at all. There are social services as stated and are there for a reason. Sad situation.

19 Ted K. December 7, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Draw up a big looch and let it fly at ‘em.

20 Dano December 7, 2013 at 5:32 PM

They look like Euro Gypsies. There is a Giant problem with them in Belgium. Same MO same style. Just criminals.

21 Mary December 7, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Wish I had known about this sooner. The ones I gave money to were a young couple with a baby less than a year old at Trader Joe’s across from the Concord Airport. They had such a sad story and I’m a total sucker.

22 Sam December 7, 2013 at 5:41 PM

First and foremost, intentionally exploiting children in the complicity of this offense, should be stopped; since this topic of aggressive panhandling is being, repeatedly featured here in Claycord, with all of the video recording phones “out and about”, then, be a proactive citizen, assist law enforcement, by video recording, COVERTLY, these repeateded offenders, IN THE COMMISSION OF THESE OFFENSES; so desired, post these recordings on Claycord. Posting a photo of their van is a “step in the right direction”, but there is not photo posted here, clearly showing this vehicle’s, license plate number.

23 Frank L. December 7, 2013 at 5:43 PM

If you don’t make eye contact with these people, they can’t ask for money.

You can’t stop them from begging. That’s up to law enforcement. But you can certainly avoid them.

I’ve NEVER had someone ask me for money on the streets, and it’s not like I don’t run into beggars. I ignore them, and they ignore me. Funny how that works.

24 ThatGuy December 7, 2013 at 6:00 PM

MAYOR – Please, for the love of the good Romanian people.

Please distinguish between Roma People and the unrelated Romanian people.

They are two separate groups.

Roma/Romani/Gypsy

Romanians

/Rant

25 Mad Romanian December 7, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Get these gypsies out of contra costa! They multiply like a black plague. Say NO. Be mean. Its what they are used to. If they are shown kindness they will bring in others. I can’t stress it enough. They may have flown in from Romania but… they were not welcome there either.

26 Marissa December 7, 2013 at 6:05 PM

I hear these gypsies are big problems in Europe, around Belgium, Bulgaria, Turkey, etc. Why are they here in the US begging this way?

27 Chucko the Clown December 7, 2013 at 6:07 PM

It’s too cold outside. This Dad needs to stop impregnating his wife and start working to support his family.

28 Donna Summersault December 7, 2013 at 6:07 PM

The gypsies have arrived in California!
Where there is Roma, crime skyrockets.
Give them nothing, don’t speak a word to them and never leave ANYTHING in your car when they are begging near by.
Those kids that ‘like to be out here’ are either scouting things to steal or stealing it themselves.

29 Concord living December 7, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Call the police and social services right away! Those kids need to be taken away.

30 Craig Cannon December 7, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Being a TV Journalist, Having Many Radios, I Have Heard Numerous Calls on a Certain Group, Similar to Those Mentioned. I’ve Encountered Them a Too. I’m The First to Drop a Bill in The Red Bucket, As The Bell Rings, or Yesterday, a Very Appreciative Black Gentleman was Campaigning for The Homeless, and I Funded Him. I got Praise, Thanks, and a Nice Conversation. That was Before I even Dug Into My Tight Stingy Wallet. Point Being, These Bandits Discussed Here, Demand Money, Make Up Lies, Like they need Fuel to get to Sacramento, but they are there Two Weeks Later with another Lie. They were using Toddlers. Looked Like They Grew Up! One Stood Behind My Backing Car, as if to Get Hit, when I Saw Through Them at Safeway in Clayton. I want to Help Everyone. That’s not Possible. Except Once in a While, I Give to Salvation Army, Fire Fighters/Police Unions for Charity and Such. They will Disperse it to Those “Really” in Peril. I Forgive These People Regardless. Romanians are an Awesome People. This Shouldn’t make us label all Romanians as lesser. (Note:I’m Trying to get the Credit Cards I Found Last Week to The Police Still) We have a Peril of Our Own Financially, Here at Home. A Water Flood. The Cards will be Given To Concord Police Soon.

31 ..???????? December 7, 2013 at 6:10 PM

You keep saying “Agrressive Beggars,” what do they say that is aggressive?

32 Realist December 7, 2013 at 6:13 PM

the police don’t care

33 Michelle December 7, 2013 at 6:26 PM

The police really don’t care about about this. It’s up to the community to complain and get these people off the street.

34 Isabelle December 7, 2013 at 6:30 PM

In all honesty, they have been doing this for years. Where have you people been?

35 Anon December 7, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Where’s the video footage? Come On!!!! What’s this new definition of Aggressive?
I don’t give out of GUILT. I give when I’m moved by another force, whether you want to call that Source, God, holy spirit, whatever & I rarely give.
I was NOT born with a Silver Spoon and had to bust my a%# to get to where I’m at. I don’t see myself as having any special ability over anyone else, other than I honed in on my craft.
NEVER EVER GIVE OUT OF GUILT
You are actually doing more harm than good.

36 Jake December 7, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Why do they continue? Because idiots continue to provide them with cash.

37 RK December 7, 2013 at 6:47 PM

I feel pity of their situation, sad that kids have to stand out in freezing temperatures. Then again looks like a begging racket going on, probably there is a ring leader forces these people to beg along with children and at the end of the day collect money from them. They also maybe illegal immigrants. That’s lots of assumption but seems probable since these kind of things exist in other countries.

38 Dr. Jellyfinger December 7, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Oh enough already! Somebody throw a tomato!

39 Selfish Woman December 7, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Gypsies! Just lazy people who expect you to support them. Won’t get a dime from me.

40 Elwood December 7, 2013 at 7:01 PM

@ Linda #17

I’m surprised there’s a man there at all. In their “culture”, if you can call it that, the men lie around and send the women and children out to beg.

41 anon December 7, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Here is an interesting and informative article entitled, “Gypsies, Kings of Con” in “Police Magazine” -

42 J. December 7, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Everybody in that photo sure is dressed nice. Damn nice.

43 anon December 7, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Imagine, the same Romas that do this begging also say they run a ministry complete with pastors. A well-known denomination ordained and licensed the head pastors of most of the churches (originating a generation ago in So CA and extending throughout USA) where 13 and 14 year old girls marry their husbands in marriages arranged by the fathers who sell their daughters into marital servitude and slavery.. The Roma church services become so violent at times they have to have armed security guards at the church to keep the peace. The denominational leaders turn a blind eye to the social security and disability scams, marriage of minors, child abuse and proudly list the Roma churches as part of their multi-cultural ministries.

44 Anon. December 7, 2013 at 8:18 PM

I reported them at the pleasant hill Safeway. Hopefully the cops will clear that up.

45 Blink December 7, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Wish I had a van that nice

46 serenity December 7, 2013 at 8:26 PM

I said no once and the lady yelled”f*** you american” My friend who was with me was appauled. I asked her to Take a pic of them. As my friend did, she commented to the lady” weren’t you at target in pleasant hill yesterday? Where is the baby that was with you then? Wow, these 3 kids and that baby deserve better.” The lady then threw stuff at us and we just states a fact” social services should get involved” we got in my car and as we drove away we called the cops.

47 dinkydau December 7, 2013 at 8:29 PM

I don’t use the term Roma. Theyre Gypsy’s and are trying to take advantage of peoples emotions at this time of the year of giving. True homelss people( I think) are theones who have the smaller cardboard signs and have a 4 days stubble beard on their face.
These people hold up real large signs that look professionally done.
They really get my goat. I don’t given them crap……..

48 terry December 7, 2013 at 8:35 PM

They were at Win Co in Antioch today

49 terry December 7, 2013 at 8:36 PM

They were at Win Co today in Antioch

50 funny man December 7, 2013 at 8:37 PM

offer them a meal, a tank of gas or a job and watch how fast their storys change… in short no cash, GIVE EM NUTHIN, send em packin! call the cops on em every time may be the powers that be might do something about the begging (and misuse of these kids)

51 Archie December 7, 2013 at 8:43 PM

A lot of assumptions being made. I agree with most of you that this is a problem. Remember it’s not illegal to ask for money, someone mentioned the bell ringers outside retail stores this time of year. Aggressive panhandling is illegal though. For the most part, they are standing on private property and it’s up to the landlord or store manager to ask them to leave. If you simply call the police on them and they haven’t committed a crime, it’s difficult for the police to do anything.
Best thing is to ignore them. After a while, they’ll move on.

52 Anon December 7, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Pathetic, you GD bleeding heart libtards. If you give them money, we will have more and more of them coming over here. Give them nothing and they will go away, simple. iucking fdiots.

53 Bulldog December 7, 2013 at 8:52 PM

I think we ought to employ the gypsies as English tutors to Craig Cannon.

54 anon December 7, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Someone has to save the children from a doomed future of scams and save the girls from being sold into marriage. People with compassionate hearts need to be saved from being taken by these scammers. It is best to give money to Salvation Army, Red Cross and local church.

55 Rob December 7, 2013 at 9:06 PM

At least they have the fortitude to look people in the face while asking for money.

Unlike Bankers who ran their companies into the ground, got taxpayer money, and then gave themselves huge bonuses for a job well done – all while never facing the public.

56 M December 7, 2013 at 9:08 PM

I see this people as far as Mill Valley, and what I did is told them I’m calling the cops and even pretend like I’m calling the cops and they’ll get in their van and drive off then you get the license plate number of the van. When They start cursing and swearing at me then I do call the cops on them and they get in the van and drive off in a hurry. Works every time!

57 lg December 7, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Look at the way they are dressed. They are wanting for nothing, except your hard earned dollars!!!! TAX FREE!! I, like most Americans, like to help out the less fortunate. The way to do that is to donate to legitimate organizations only!! If I see someone who is hungry, i will buy them something to eat!!! And DO NOT give money to those guys outside CVS and Food Max with the red boxes. They are a total scam!!!! Their “BOSS” keeps half the money they collect, they keep the other half!!! 0% goes to charity!!!!!!

58 WAKE UP PEOPLE! December 7, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Why don’t people JUST IGNORE THEM AND GO SHOPPING?????!!!!!

If you don’t look at them, they won’t be able to engage in conversation.

IGNORE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

59 Richie December 7, 2013 at 9:26 PM

I seen these people on the corner in PH by target I was in my semi truck they were asking for money, I said all I had was a debit card no cash and they proceeded to curse at me until I sent the whole Klan into cardiac arrest when I pulled the valve on my train horn and proceeded to laugh till the light turn green makin their ears bleed…. bunch of jack wagons

60 lg December 7, 2013 at 9:28 PM

The cops dont have time to be bothered with such nonsense! Stop giving them money and they will go away!!!!

61 Fig Newton December 7, 2013 at 9:35 PM

These people are the lowest form! They get EBT,,and all the handouts for doing ZIP,,,,,,this is an overkill! Clear these gypsies at once!

62 Always Right December 7, 2013 at 9:52 PM

The REAL question we should be asking is this:

Who let them into our country?

Last time a checked, immigration control was the responsibility of the POTUS, who’s own Uncle from Nigeria is living here illegally.

Time to connect the dots, folks.

63 So What December 7, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Someone needs to contact a TV News show who investigate stories like this. Especially if human trafficking might possibly be involved, or follow them and go stand outside their house and beg for $$.
Poor children.

64 anon December 7, 2013 at 10:07 PM

The fortitude to look people in the eye while they ask for money?????? What in the world are you talking about? The men send the girls and young children out to beg for them while they go and do other scams. Scams like auto dent repair and auto buying from senior citizens and selling while skirting the authorities and the wholesale restrictions. Cash sales, cash payments and cash donations while receiving money from disability and social security scams. Start looking yourself in the eye in the mirror and for what you really are – scam runners. The only reason you run scams is because you don’t want to work hard and apply yourself for an honest work and life.

65 Miss Diagnosis December 7, 2013 at 10:09 PM

lol at the people who say they are well dressed and drive a nice car. No to both.

66 anon December 7, 2013 at 10:27 PM

‘spent all my money staying in a hotel’. riiiiiiiiiight. ‘and i need just a little more so we can return to the one in Tahoe that were just about to leave for in our brand new down jackets and boots, see?’
that’s a pretty nice van….and he just got in the country and spent ‘all’ his money on a hotel.

p.s. ‘kids, watch me and mom and learn how to become a good for nothing lowlife in society’

67 Liers December 7, 2013 at 10:28 PM

I saw this guy and a lady with the same van at Sams Club, the poster says that he lost his job and needs food and money. At the beginning I felt bad for them because he had 3 girls, one of them in a baby stroller but when I realized he has this van next to him and the woman was inside the van. So you have no job and have the expenses for than van? How can you do that? SMH. I feel bad for the kids tho.

68 anon December 7, 2013 at 10:32 PM

is anyone bold enough to follow them around w/ a camera. ? if you have a friend named bubba bring him along. or better yet an angry teenager armed w/ pepper spray. wont take much to set them off.

69 Teacher Wannabe December 7, 2013 at 10:33 PM

@Always Right. Really? I was wondering how long it would take before someone brought politics into a non-political situation. Immigration should indeed be involved, but President Obama (and his relatives) has nothing to do with it.

BTW, Concord passed a new law making “captive audience” and aggressive begging illegal. So in that case you CAN call CPD and have them arrested.

70 anon December 7, 2013 at 10:37 PM

just got here? hmmm. what is the temp difference in romania? it would take a bit to acclimate to this weather, therefore I imagine this is pretty warm for them and they would be roasting in those new down jackets.

71 Elwood December 7, 2013 at 10:37 PM

@ Rob #55

You are a fool.

72 tredogandi December 7, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Way too much anger. Relax. Different people, different up-bringings, different way of life. Nope…it’s not the way you do it. I for one believe in supporting all people, and all walks of life. Cheers

73 Kim December 7, 2013 at 11:07 PM

We should see the difference, because sometimes we are racist, these people want money for free, who knows if they are illegal or legal but they dont put their asses to work, I’ve noticed that we criticize hispanic people but we cant deny it, at least they work!

74 Elwood December 7, 2013 at 11:09 PM

@ tredogandi #72

See #71

75 @Craig Cannon December 7, 2013 at 11:10 PM

A very appreciative Black man who happens to run a half way house for drug addicts the same ones who ride around on bikes casing out the houses in the neighborhood. Thanks for helping him out why not just give him a set of locksmith tools next time. Give your money to the church or real charities they really help families in need.

76 cobie December 7, 2013 at 11:11 PM

we had a problem with people begging in Concord, Concord PD told us it was against the law, maybe in concord, to beg for money. we stopped having the trouble when people stopped giving them money…..

77 anon December 7, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Tredogandi- I support different people and I helped this family because of their sad stories and was badly taken advantage of and scammed. It is important to champion America as the melting pot and celebrate the wealth of diverse cultural heritage in our communities. But ask each of the diverse cultural families and they will also tell you this – none begged dishonestly for handouts, none scammed those who tried to help and hard, honest work provided for their families when their relatives came to America.

78 VDS December 7, 2013 at 11:20 PM

They seem to be the topic of conversation right when the Holidays happen. Knowing that people may be more generous? You hardly hear about them all year (just here and there)…then the Holidays come around, (Christmas specifically), and all of a sudden they come out of hiding!! Sad & so not falling for it. I work F/T & can’t afford Uggs!! Please – my daughter & I offered a “real” homeless person at least a $1 tonight, he will use for hot chocolate or beer but at least he looked like he needed the $$$. These women & kids look like myself & my family. Get a job!!! There are plenty of jobs this time of year (holiday help). Your kids should be in school for one, not out “helping” you and whomever, to make money w/out really working for it. Why are they not picked up just for the kids not being in school?
All of you who fall for this, SORRY – but NOT sorry for your “stupidity” or giving to these people who are perfectly capable of working at, at least a fast food restaurant, if they have 8-24 hrs a day to spend asking and harassing for food.

79 Red Sox December 7, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Call Stanley Roberts of KRON, he’d stand up to them and they’d scurry away like cockroaches!

80 Hans Josef December 7, 2013 at 11:42 PM

The dad takes the money to buy drugs, beats the mom and leaves the kids outside overnight. Do you really want to give money to his nasty cause???

81 steffiM December 8, 2013 at 1:44 AM

I believe the man in the photo was at Lunardi’s in PH the day before Thanksgiving with a very small baby, could have been a new born, in his arms. I am upset now that I gave him money but I found it very very disturbing that he had such a small infant with him and begging for money via a hand written sign.

82 anon December 8, 2013 at 3:47 AM

@72
I need money… support me you fool. OR how bout, climb out of your pile of dumb and get a reality check. These children are being pimped. These women are being pimped. I’ve dealt with gypsies, and my two young children felt very scared and threatened when confronted by these scumbags, enough to make my 3 year old girl cry. Yes, scumbags. They are liars, not a generalization- they all have false identifications, fake birth dates, fake names, and incredible false back stories, etc. They prey heavily on the elderly with other scams. You think they are unfortunate: BS, this is their way of life. And like all criminals, that “walk of life” isn’t legal nor beneficial to our society. So stop making excuses for them. They are garbage. Throw em away.

83 bubba m December 8, 2013 at 5:08 AM

me and my girlfriend were coming put of panera bread off treat where the safeway is, and there was a beggar across from jamaba juice in the median where people turn in and she had a big sign and a stroller with a baby, i dont know if they were the gypsys you speak of, but it looked really sad, the little kid didnt look like they wanted to be there, and the lady was getting a lot of money from people, i think its awful how they exploit their children for money.

84 Noflow December 8, 2013 at 6:06 AM

Elwood @8,
Very Hitlerish of you with the “should be eradicated” stuff.
Not the most helpful way to deal with peoples who do not respect any culture but their own, in fact believe that everyone else exists to be fleeced for their benefit.
When confronted in a public space, look them in the eye and forcefully say “NO!” And keep walking.

85 Connie Dobbs December 8, 2013 at 8:34 AM

#13 makes an interesting point. What if those children aren’t theirs? Showing their pictures might help reunite them with their families.

86 anon December 8, 2013 at 9:07 AM

looks like a handicap placard in the window of their van. I wonder how many mandated reporters see them and don’t report those kids. They need to be in SCHOOL!!!! not dressed on the corner looking like they are for sale!! Disgusting behavior!!!!

87 tredogandi December 8, 2013 at 9:37 AM

I’ll never deny being a fool. However, if it keeps the hate out of me…it’s a trade I’ll take every time.

88 Dr. Jellyfinger December 8, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Roma tomatoes are the cheapest too.

89 Ms C December 8, 2013 at 10:58 AM

I believe that we should also be complaining to the stores. If they think they are going to be losing business they will be talking with the police.

90 Prescott December 8, 2013 at 11:06 AM

I try to avoid Concord as much as possible… when I find myself there, I ALWAYS give to the homeless, drug addicts, and beggars. I recognize my funds will most likely be used for illicit purposes but I don’t care. I figure anything I give to incentivize these people to stay where they are (i.e., far away from Clayton) is money well spent. I shared my ideology with my neighbor and now he gives to these people.
To all you Concord residents, you need to wake up and relalize your town is a ghetto.

91 anon December 8, 2013 at 11:27 AM

There are about 300 members of each family that network to help each other with the begging and scams. One father ( he had 7 brothers and sisters) had two different sets of children with two different women who had 11 children between them whose children grew up and had 5-7 children each, some of whom have children that have children of their own now. All of these children and cousins and in-laws intermarry with close relatives according to Gypsie custom and law to keep the Gypsie bloodline and their secrets within the family. The fathers control the wives and children with a heavy hand. Children are owned by the father and if the wife wants to leave the family has to give the marriage payment back and. The new husband family has to buy the wife and pay her family and the former husband’s family and the children are still owned by the father and the wife cannot take them with her. The girls are not allowed to learn to read or write and in their churches it is against their law to teach a woman. :( :( :( :(

92 anon December 8, 2013 at 11:34 AM

One Gypsie pastor took his sister away from her husband to teach him a lesson for disrespecting the authority he had in the family. Another pastor locked his daughter-in-law in the home and repeatedly beat her and had his son beat her to teach her submission. Another grouop of Gypsie girls were passing out ads for fortune-telling and all five cried and sobbed asking not to tell their husbands that they threw away the papers instead of putting them on car windows because they would be beaten. This is common for the women to be beaten, threatened.

93 just a concordian December 8, 2013 at 11:45 AM

@90
As a former West Philadelphia dweller, I resent this

94 Tracy December 8, 2013 at 11:53 AM

If they are not U.S. citizens, they should not be entitled to any social services and if they are, that is SO wrong!!

95 tara December 8, 2013 at 12:00 PM

I go to safeway in walnut creek off Bancroft and there are about 6 of them sitting on the curb and the dad holding the sign.and yes very aggressive he stands right at the stop sign as ur exiting safeway soooooo annoying

96 anon December 8, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Please beware of the sad, heart-breaking stories of suffering and rejection. Only give money to a respected organization such as the Salvation Army, Red Cross or your local church. These organizations verify the need and have experience in recognizing scammers. I wish I knew before what I know now because I would have saved myself so much heartache and money and time. I thought that I could make a difference and help in a meaningful way to these families because I thought their sadness and suffering could be changed into hope if someone cared enough to help. It turned out I was only prey to expert predators.

97 Mitch December 8, 2013 at 12:26 PM

@ Prescott-90

Clayton isn’t much better than Concord. It’s not like you live in Alamo, Danville or Orinda.

No, I don’t live in Concord. I live in Lafayette, and I’m sure there some people in Lafayette that look down at you.

Learn to spell realize. Do you realize you look uneducated?

98 anon December 8, 2013 at 12:27 PM

LOL Dr. J

99 Taker December 8, 2013 at 12:49 PM

These same people are all over. They frequent the Target in Antioch, as well as the In n Out burger in Brentwood. Have also seen them at Home Depot in Brentwood and Safeway in Antioch on Lone Tree. I tried following them once but lost them in traffic. Saw one of them walking with a sign once from a home in Antioch. If you see them call the police, the children should not suffer outside because of them. They should be in school. The Brentwood police told me that they frequent calls about them.

100 lg December 8, 2013 at 1:51 PM

@90, Mr high and mighty, you live a step away from Concord!!! Dont`t be so snobby!!!!!!

101 The New Dick Lyons December 8, 2013 at 2:23 PM

I feel terribly for the kids, but enough about the “beautiful new van,” already. The thing is a decade or more old, and probably has 162,000 miles on it. Google “2002 Chrysler Town & Country” if you can’t bear to agree with me.

102 An ongoing scam December 8, 2013 at 2:40 PM

I was approached by these same people at the Shell gas station on Ygnacio Valley and Clayton Rd a couple of years ago. They told me they just drove here from LA and had absolutely no money for gas. I was hesitant about giving them anything and then the lady said “please, I have kids!” and she went and grabbed her baby and started rocking it back and forth in front of me. It was absolutely pathetic and didn’t seem genuine at all. I said “sorry, I can’t help you” and then I left.

103 Jules December 8, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Simple solution – don’t give them money. They wouldn’t be doing this if it were not so lucrative – they are having the last laugh all the way to the bank. Sorry, I can’t help you is the best answer. If they ask for spare change, you tell them you need it yourself. It is not about being hard-hearted. It is about being smart. They are up to no good. Get this, in San Diego, my friend tried to hand a homeless woman some change. “I only take paper” was her answer. Is that not amazing?

104 Steve December 8, 2013 at 6:13 PM

In the words of Nancy Reagan, JUST SAY NO!

105 Brian December 8, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Give them Monopoly Money…. hey they didn’t specify!

106 deltadog December 8, 2013 at 7:37 PM

I wonder if they know they could make a lot
more money in Lafayette or Orinda. Somebody
needs to tell them … quickly!

107 Antonio December 8, 2013 at 8:34 PM

This is pathetic. Ignore them, and don’t give them any money. Don’t get into it with them. It will only make it worse.

I doubt the police care. They have bigger fish to fry.

I feel sorry for the kids. They’ll probably do the same thing when they grow up.

108 Anon December 8, 2013 at 8:53 PM

They were at Costco today with 2 kids and a woman holding what looked like a newborn. They were holding the same sign and waving at me. I have to agree with the many comments above… if we don’t give them money tney WILL leave!

109 dree December 8, 2013 at 9:59 PM

I live in Pittsburg but ran across a group of these people in Brentwood in the Tradoe Joes’s parking lot. The woman was very aggressive.

110 Neal December 8, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Not only should you not give them any money, but don’t make any contact with them. No eye contact, no verbal exchange, etc.

Hate to tell you this, but if you’re having a less than desirable interaction with any of these people, you’re bringing it on yourself.

1. IF THEY APPROACH YOU IN THE PARKING LOT, WALK AWAY. DON’T SAY A WORD!

2. IF THEY APPROACH YOUR CAR WINDOW, ROLL IT UP! IT’S COLD OUT ANYWAY!

A lot of people in the general public are ABSOLUTELY CLUELESS as to how to handle beggars.

IT’S NOT ROCKET SCIENCE. THE POLICE DON’T CARE!

111 Marla December 9, 2013 at 12:15 AM

My standard response to this scum: Lasa ma in pace, tiganci! (Luh-suh muh ihn pah-chay tsee-gunch!) (Leave me alone, gypsy!) If you can identify Roma gypsies, try it…it makes them think twice about trying to pull one over on you.

When I first met my Romanian husband, I thought he was prejudiced because of all the horrible things he said about the Roma gypsies…until I experienced them firsthand both in Romania and here locally. They are the lowest of the low and do not represent the Romanian people. They pimp out their kids to the cold, making them hustle and beg from sunrise to sunset. I’ve called the cops on them because of putting their children in danger (posting them at the median of a busy street, exploiting their infants). We’ve approached them at PH Target and the WC post office and told the people around them that they’re gypsies. Last time we did that, the gypsy woman spit at my husband telling him in Romanian that he’s “ruining this for [her]“. The nerve!

112 The Mamba December 9, 2013 at 7:25 AM

I gave at the office.

113 Mimi (original) December 9, 2013 at 10:42 AM

I feel sorry for the children, as they are merely pawns in this game of life, however, I am a single parent and need every dollar I earn to take care of my own progeny. Someone needs to get a job and/or file for social services that are readily available through our County.

114 Craig December 9, 2013 at 11:04 AM

If you’d just ignore these people, there wouldn’t be any conflict.

Common sense!

115 AWESOME DAD December 10, 2013 at 9:54 AM

My wife seen them at Walnut Creek shopping area outside that Crate Barrel place. She shure was suprized! This was last week-end or thereabouts.

116 Kareem faizi December 11, 2013 at 4:01 AM

People are so ignorant maybe these people do not have it good like most of you hungry Americans… I’v donated to the right cause I see druggy American bums on the corner and still help them out and get them food who complains about them?? That’s what I thought… People need to open their eyes it’s more bigger problems than this

117 Veronica December 20, 2013 at 7:29 AM

Latest encounter, last night at the Safeway gas station they were begging for gas money. They live in Richmond. when I asked the mom who drove a dark blue van ( dodge or t&c). Then I probed more….she said, “California.”
I said,” Your obviously not from here originally.”
she quickly covered that lie and said, ” We are from California street in Richmond.”
I said,” No, what country are you from?”
she said,” European.”
Eventually she admitted the country. ROMANIA!!! If she had owned up to her culture and heritage at first, I’d have respected that! Perhaps she is needy and this works for her.
Meanwhile, a nicely dressed concerned woman gathered the Romanian’s collected $3.00, walked into the gas station and paid for her gas! People were giving her money and she went to every customer there.
I tried to get a picture, but it was really obvious and they could tell i was and they were pointing at me! So I turned back to my gas pump, but when she came back over to ask more people again, I said,” I am a single mom of 2, all by myself. I can’t help you.” She said that she is a single mom of six. Two boys were with her outside the car. They looked aged 10 & 11 years old.

She didn’t look hungry. The boys had white highlights or something in their hair.. no one was crying for anything… the boys were outside of the van, as if they knew this would take a while..

118 Dr. Jellyfinger December 20, 2013 at 10:06 AM

The white streaks don’t mean they’re vampires…. yet. But they’ve been bitten.

119 Myrtle December 20, 2013 at 6:41 PM