Spare the Air Alert Issued – Wood Burning Banned in Claycord on Sunday

December 7, 2013 15:12 pm · 37 comments

A Winter Spare the Air alert has been issued for Sunday by the Bay Area Air Quality Management District, banning wood burning in the region.

A cool, still weather pattern forecast for Sunday prompted the air district to issue the alert, which will make it illegal for Bay Area residents to burn wood, manufactured fire logs or other solid fuel either indoors or outdoors.

Homes without permanently installed heating are exempt from the ban, according to the air district.

The Winter Spare the Air alert is the fifth this year.

Wood smoke contains fine particles and carcinogens and is the largest source of air pollution in the Bay Area during the winter, according to the air district.

First-time violators of the wood burning ban have the option of taking a wood smoke awareness class or paying a $100 ticket. Subsequent violations will result in higher fines.

The daily burn status can be found by visiting www.sparetheair.org, www.baaqmd.gov or by calling (877) 4-NO-BURN.

{ 37 comments }

1 Marissa December 7, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Not again, wood is burning this day.

2 James December 7, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Good old government, telling us what’s best for us. Yes, because it’s much cheaper for families to run their heaters than it would be to throw a log or two in the fireplace. That whooshing sound you hear is our personal freedoms flying out the window.

3 Killjoy December 7, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Well boys and girls, my heater is on the fritz. The new control board is on order and won’t be in until Monday. Since I don’t have a heater, by their own rules, I can burn to keep my family warm.
If the BAAQMD shows up, I’ll happily show them the receipt from my HVAC guy stating the part isn’t here to fix my heater.
Other than that, so sorry. I’m burning.

4 James December 7, 2013 at 3:30 PM

How dare you try to keep your family warm using technology that has been around since the beginning of time! Shame!

5 Anonymous December 7, 2013 at 3:46 PM

If they show up, dont open the door, dont talk to them. CPD has (wisely) said they are too busy to help them. If they cant find who is responsible for the fire, its pretty hard to cite someone.

6 Vindex December 7, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Next step…… Ban all wood burning. This government agency is out of control! Get rid of them

7 Elwood December 7, 2013 at 4:27 PM

People who are so sensitive should move somewhere else.

8 barn December 7, 2013 at 4:39 PM

just burn smells good outside tis the season

9 Amy December 7, 2013 at 4:57 PM

It’s really sold so I hope my neighbors don’t turn me in.

10 F'ing stupid December 7, 2013 at 5:01 PM

That’s what this is. lol

11 James December 7, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Sensitive to what? Natural wood smoke or idiotic laws?

12 oldschool December 7, 2013 at 5:12 PM

I wasn’t going to have a fire tomorrow, but I will now.

13 Triple Canopy December 7, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Suck it BAAQMD… my fire will be raging.

14 Frank L. December 7, 2013 at 5:48 PM

@ Elwood–7

And people with no respect for others should STFU!

15 JLG December 7, 2013 at 6:27 PM

I guess no burn days were were never instituted in Shanghai China.

16 Elwood December 7, 2013 at 7:07 PM

@ Frank L. #14

Oh, Frank, you so BAD!

17 Yhe Phantom December 7, 2013 at 7:16 PM

You and your friends have been crushed by our Forces of Light. Victory is ours, now and forever. Your puny resistance was useless.

1. You and your friends are instructed to never post anything not supportive of our government. Do this now.
2. You must give your unloaded firearms to the next liberal you encounter. You will be given a receipt. You may keep your ammunition, which is guarenteed by the second amendment. [firearms are now called ANKLES, loose ammunition is now called ARMS].
3. Then move from your bedroom to the family room so our designated homeless person can sleep in your bedroom. Take your spouse or partner with you. Our person will bring their own companion.
4. Mexican and Italian cuisine is preferred yet Soul food will be appreciated once or twice a week, [Pulled pork BBQ is best]. Elegant Neuvo California cuisine may be required for our partner unions.
5. Our ObamaGuard will be by shortly to find your best booze and stash.
6. Please prepare your voluntary confessions. Use an ADOBE PDF format

Trees consume Carbon Dioxide…por vida!
Save the trees…down with fire!

Solar Power Forever!

18 @Frank L. December 7, 2013 at 7:23 PM

You STFU!

19 Cowellian December 7, 2013 at 7:26 PM

I have no respect for Frank L, and I will not STFU.

But thanks for asking.

20 Who cares? December 7, 2013 at 7:30 PM

All this gripe about winter spare-the-air days is getting old and tired. If you want to burn whatever/whenever you want, move to Mexico. We’re a nation of laws and standards, and clean air is a part of that.

Mayor, many of us would appreciate if you turned off the comment section for these spare the air alerts, otherwise you’re only inviting trolls to chime in.

21 @Vindex December 7, 2013 at 9:06 PM
22 Only In CA December 7, 2013 at 9:17 PM

In 2012 there were 261 people working for CA air resources board that made OVER $100,000 that year. Top person made over $340,600.

23 Anonymous December 7, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Attention Who Cares

Betcha the Mayor doesn’t stop dissent, much as you would like him to.Being as you put it “A nation of laws” , that includes freedom of speech. You may have heard about it.
Why dont you move to North Korea?
Idiot.

24 Jermy December 7, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Two questions. How is this enforced? Is there a phone number to rat on people who don’t obey this??

25 eyewhen December 7, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Turning off the comments does not stop my wood burning…BAAQMD does not stop my wood burning… whether you like it or not i’m going to burn wood. If you want to come and discuss this issue with me look for the smoke from my chimney. Knock on my door and let’s talk this over like neighbors. Until then, I’ll keep burning.

26 Kayla December 8, 2013 at 1:34 AM

While I do agree that our government has gotten way over the top with laws and restrictions, has anyone noticed the view as you come down the hill out of the Cauldecott recently? Our bay air looks just like LA did 30 years ago. If not having a fire in my fireplace 10 days a winter will keep our air from becoming “LA air”, then I will give up my cozy fire on the days they tell me to. We are blessed to be living in this beautiful area and should try to maintain it’s beauty. If you can’t live without your fireplace daily and do have other heat available, maybe you should move to Montana where air quality is not an issue. Just sayin’

27 Cowellian December 8, 2013 at 7:26 AM

This is a discussion site. The Mayor selects topics for people to talk about. And unlike some totalitarian posters, the Mayor actually tolerates dissenting points of view.

28 Blankets December 8, 2013 at 10:27 AM

They are too lazy to give out selective spare the air alerts. If air quality exceeds their, MUCH tighter than Federal standards, in say Sam Jose or San Rafael all counties are shut down.

On a yearly basis Claycord area may exceed their overly strict levels perhaps twice in a year.

29 Doreen December 8, 2013 at 10:41 AM

This is so ridiculous. If you want to “spare the air” day keep the cars off the road & planes out of the sky

30 Antler December 8, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Yhe Phantom at #17 ~ ~ ~ :-) “You funny, Grandpa!”

31 Antler December 8, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Back to business……I did notice last night that the air was very still and that both the cold and the smoke from our fireplace were staying very close to the ground. That was great for our three large citrus trees near that particular chimney………but not good because of the particulate matter staying within breathing range. I appreciate the notices, and we are happy to comply with the regulation today.

32 claycordian December 8, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Dear Who Cares?

We are indeed a “nation of laws”. HOWEVER these rules (refuse to call them laws) are concocted by a group of unelected bureaucrats who should have no power over those who did not elect them.

As I sit here, the winds are blowing CONSTANTLY outside. the Air Board is suffering from self importance and a cranial rectal insertion.

33 Shuley December 8, 2013 at 12:20 PM

My wood stove is my primary source of heat. It burns about 4 logs in about 4 hours. I need to burn and I will.

34 Antler December 8, 2013 at 2:25 PM

claycordian at #32 ~ ~ ~ Yes, today there is a slight breeze: so IF we do not burn wood today, then the gunky air possibly will be cleared away so that TOMORROW it will be all right for us to have wood fires. It’s really not too different from the behavorial concept of “taking turns”!

Do you have one of the new filters in your stove pipe? I would like to read a discussion comparing brands and features, if any of you know about that topic.

35 bikelock December 8, 2013 at 3:00 PM

@WhoCares? You might try doing what
I do. I only read the Spare The Air comments
when I want to feel like an evolved, more
intelligent member of the species.

36 Walnut Creek Resident December 9, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Folks please do not burn wood when they ask you not to!! Wood smoke really hurts our environment and people that have to breathe that bad air. I have a very dear friend of mine who really has a very tough time breathing when everyone has their fires going! It breaks my heart to see him that way. Before I knew him I was just like you all, thinking that wood fires were part of our good old American right! Not anymore. I have a fireplace that I refuse to use. Please do the right thing! Thank you.

37 anon December 9, 2013 at 9:22 AM

@who cares #20…

Nothing like trying to stifle dissent, is there?

As others have pointed out, the BAAQMD is a bunch of faceless unelected bureaucrats who were probably appointed based on their political connections (as opposed to their experience, training and other appropriate qualifications).

Now be a good little toady and go do exactly what the government says to do… move along to the showers.

Lenin and Chairman Mao would be so proud of you…. Quislings,Tories, et al….