Two Stories – Unknown Men Banging on Doors, One Heard in Backyard of Home

December 5, 2013 21:57 pm · 38 comments

Two Concord residents are reporting suspicious males who are knocking on doors, and one homeowner is saying one of the men apparently went into the backyard of a home downtown.

These two cases are unrelated.

The first occurred on Montgomery & Dormer, near Port Chicago & Olivera.

Here are the details from the witness:

I live in North Concord, corner of Montgomery and Dormer. A man knocked on my door repeatedly and quite loud earlier on Thursday. My shepherd got to the door before I could. It took me about 10 seconds to get to the door after the initial knock, and by the time I made it there the man was walking away, fast, looking back. He was tall, dressed in black sweater. He entered a black older model SUV and sped off. I walked outside but I couldn’t see him. I got on my car and drove around the neighborhood in attempt to spot him, no luck. I did not call the police. Hopefully this was just an isolated incident, but it worries me that he sped off as soon as he saw the dog through the glass middle part of my front door. Letting you know so that you may warn the citizens of Claycord.

Thanks for the warning!

The second incident occurred on Ashbury Dr. in downtown Concord around 9:15pm when a Hispanic male adult with dark clothing & a clipboard knocked on the front door, then apparently went into the backyard and was knocking on the bedroom window. No suspect was located by the Concord Police, and no entry was made into the home.

Beware, Claycordians! If you don’t plan to answer your door, always make noise to let the knocker know that somebody is inside the house, and never be afraid to call 9-1-1 if you think you’re in danger.

{ 38 comments }

1 Steve Meredith December 5, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Those guys might not be pulling that stuff if they had heard a ” click click”

2 Phoenix December 5, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Classic tactic burglars use to check if a house is occupied. Burglars don’t like dogs who appear or at least act aggressive & territorial.

3 Bruno December 5, 2013 at 10:06 PM

How about calling the popo for a change.

4 @Phoenix December 5, 2013 at 10:14 PM

This isn’t the “Talking About Politics” section. Why do some people have to turn the most apolitical subject into a political dialogue? It says more about you than it does the group you’re talking crap about. I doubt if burgler scum even have a political party. Sheesh.

5 Richie December 5, 2013 at 10:18 PM

This house doesn’t call 911…… Just fyi Mr burglars please make a note of it

6 TruthMan December 5, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Saying that guns deter crime isn’t political. It’s truth.

7 Jared December 5, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Pretty sure a “I’ll blow your head off if you don’t get off my property in 3 seconds!” Would do the trick. If you gun haters would stop requesting a perfect world you probably wouldn’t get robbed defending your house with wheat grass. Let criminals kill criminals. Ill be damned if a low life takes anything from me or hurts my family. Abide by the laws. Be a responsible gun owner and take care of your own. Ask yourself this…..Would this happen if the burgalur knew there was a 90% chance the owner owned a weapon? I don’t think so.

8 Denise December 5, 2013 at 10:29 PM

I don’t like strangers knocking at my door, especially at night. But I think I would be a little more concerned about the second incident where the guy entered the backyard and knocked on the bedroom window. I’d call the police on that one too.

Just be cautious, and never open the door to strangers. A big dog is always a good deterrent.

9 Teacher Wannabe December 5, 2013 at 10:31 PM

@#4. Thank you!

10 Scrappy December 5, 2013 at 10:49 PM

I happen to think Phoenix gave some good advice! The liberal part…eh
But who cares, it was funny.

11 anon December 5, 2013 at 10:52 PM

This is when a pitbull comes in handy.

12 Lana December 5, 2013 at 10:56 PM

We also live in downtown Concord, Salvio and Date street and some guy knocked on our door after 8pm. We don’t usually see solicitors this late at night. My husband answered the door and the man outside stated he was from some … Hill Valley College, before my husband interrupted him and said that it’s too late. I don’t even know what they wanted but it was definitely strange.

13 Maggie December 5, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Ok that same guy knocked on my door at about 4:30, I live a little farther up on Dormer, I didn’t answer door but my dogs were barking and I saw the guy thru my window! He dressed in black had a clipboard and drove a black SUV that was a stick shift.

14 Michelle December 5, 2013 at 11:11 PM

I too had two men in black clothing knock on my door this evening and I live off of Delaware. One was Hispanic and short the other was slightly taller and mixed race maybe. They were asking about my power usage and were just trying to sell me something. I cut them off and said I wasn’t interested inw hat ever they were selling. They were nice and left. They left in a dark SUV as well.

15 mom of 3 December 5, 2013 at 11:31 PM

I live off Delaware too I have the 2 guys knocking on my door at about 7pm. I asked them to leave but they try to get me to go outside to talk about my power usage. My husband was putting our baby to sleep. They finally left after me almost yelling at them I wasn’t interested. I don’t think the liked my dogs barking at them through the door. I didn’t see what car they were driving but they were 2 guys in black suit.

16 Joshua December 5, 2013 at 11:47 PM

To say that guns deter crime is not “truth” (#6). America is the largest manufacturer of guns and has gun crime rates astronomically higher than virtually any industrialized nation. I am not pro crime, super liberal, anti police or eager to be a victim however I am somewhat of a “Truth Man” myself. Truth is-the Death Penalty has not been the slightest deterrent to crime and nor will an armed citizenry. How are the 2 connected? Both strategies are evidence that we keep issuing prescriptions without comprehending the issue. If fear of harm was a dominant factor in behavior change amongst the criminally-inclined than I would likely support those things but the facts show it is not. In fact, a homeowner with a gun has a much higher likelihood of having that gun stolen or, to a lesser extent, an accident happening, than ever using the gun to thwart a violent attack. The stolen gun will then be used in a crime, in which having a gun yourself is not an entirely effective defense and all but guarantees that someone will be shot. If the goal of being armed is to simply punish the perpetrator than I have a list of nations in which you would feel much more comfortable-we have a court system. You can’t say violators of the law must be punished then bypass the system to be judge, jury and executioner..well you can but then you aren’t very credible. That’s the truth.

17 Yhe Phantom December 6, 2013 at 1:07 AM

“This lady should have remained quiet. Retrieved her pistol from the bedroom & waited for the Liberal to return & attempt entry. Then punch his ticket.”

- Bad advice. In California this would be manslaughter if not murder by stealth.
They have to come completely inside, and they better be armed with a real weapon. Actually one in four homes have a firearm or several so they look for an empty home.

The ain’t Seminole County and we ain’t a “Stand Your Ground and Commit Murder” state.

You can chew on that tobacco and don’t spit on your bare feet.

18 @4 ...because no one in the real world listens to them December 6, 2013 at 1:29 AM

People like Phoenix tend to alienate themselves from every person that could offer a difference of opinion. Probably from their style of trying to take pot shots at opposition unprovoked or bullying the discussion into an argument that is completely off topic. Or they have made their separation from anyone that does not share their viewpoint so complete, that it is second nature for them to just toss insults about “liberals” into their everyday speech. So they wind up spouting their nonsense here. Maybe they are hoping someone on Claycord will agree with them so the world doesn’t seem so lonely?

Or Phoenix is trolling. In either case, it’s a cry for help and attention.

While we waste time and energy on these fools, we should be discussing these potential burglars casing our houses.

19 Anne December 6, 2013 at 4:30 AM

I’m in Martinez and A couple of weeks ago two men knocked on our door and my husband answered it. Clip boards, polo shirts… Said they wanted to “inspect” our alarm system. Meanwhile our dogs were going crazy and he absolutely didn’t let them in but still we called the police. Call the non-emergency number when stuff like this happens. Most of all DONT even crack the door. Never open the door, this goes for men too. Don’t calm your animals, let them do their jobs… Remember they hear more than we do!

Also about the gun comments… I’m not getting all political about it but I will be SMART. A gun is a highly sought after black market sale item. So why on earth would you advertise? Why are you giving them a shopping list? The element of surprise is in your best interest if you really are interested in self defense.

Be smart, be safe, and call the non emergency number to report suspicious activity. Be proactive, not reactive. We posted a no solicitor sign that covers all the bases… No politics, no religion, no fund raising. We’ve made it clear we are NOT opening our door. It’s helped… Surprisingly we’ve had only two knocks since putting it up, there’s a new beware of dogs sign on the side gate. It’s small and not ugly but it does the job and the alarm sign is out in an appropriate spot. So going back to where I started…. We have an alarm and we do test it, we just don’t need anyone offering to do so… Thanks

20 @Joshua December 6, 2013 at 4:42 AM

Is it really any surprise that the death penalty isn’t much of a deterrent? Maybe it would have more “teeth” if we actually executed people.

21 Plato December 6, 2013 at 5:05 AM

Nothing says you can’t call the police *and* rack the shotgun *and* have dogs.

People are, perhaps, eager to politicize overly much, but I think the truth is that crime is apolitical … how people think it should be dealt with that varies (and creates friction). Only criminals benefits when we all fight.

Crime often involves targets of opportunity – both individual and community. It’s in our best interests, as fellow Claycordians, to be responsible in ensuring we aren’t targets of opportunity where possible *and* helping keep an eye on our neighbors to help with the same.

22 Roid Rage December 6, 2013 at 5:06 AM

@Steve Meredith, I 100% agree, nothing like the nose of racking a round in your Glock 23 or the sound of the bolt slamming shut and chambering a round on AR-15, to deter any intruder, I’ve had someone waking into my house while was home alone, it’s scary after you have time think about you get a feeling of having been violated, at the time I was unarmed, now I have peace of mind and feel very safe, lets just say the guys and gals at Canyon Sports in Martinez and the people at Sacramento Black Rifle know me very well.

23 ohkaydohkay December 6, 2013 at 6:24 AM

actually Joshua crime as a whole is very low in places that allow citizens to carry concealed or openly I have been to many places this is done .have ask cops “what’s crime like around here” you know what their response was every single time?it was “what crime” now the violent crime you speak of is in states or cities that limit your second amendment rights <— and that's a fact jack…..

24 JLG December 6, 2013 at 6:54 AM

Simple people have simple answers.

25 what security December 6, 2013 at 7:57 AM

Thanks for the heads up.

I’m locked and loaded!!! For situation like this I prefer my

26 what security December 6, 2013 at 8:02 AM

The best advise I heard so far

27 Silva December 6, 2013 at 8:43 AM

My gun was stolrn by burglars.

28 Silva December 6, 2013 at 8:57 AM

*stolen (woops, typo)!

29 what security December 6, 2013 at 9:01 AM
30 Angelica December 6, 2013 at 9:02 AM

After reading the comments, who knows what these guys were up to! But the one guy knocking on the bedroom window sure sounds like a potential burglary. I would think solicitors knock on the front door and leave.

@ Jared-#7

If this guy had a gun and he was threatened with a gun by the resident, the resident could easily get shot if the other guy fires first. Ever thought of that? Guns are not the answer, unless you want to create a violent scene.

31 Laura Zah December 6, 2013 at 9:30 AM

You spelled “whoops” wrong too. Get a gun safe and mount it so that it can’t be stolen. Alarm system is a good idea too. It is your right to own a gun, but it is also your responsibility to not be stupid.

32 Sacto Rob December 6, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Burglars always knock before breaking in. Helps them size up the situation.

33 Frank L. December 6, 2013 at 10:42 AM

The guy knocking on the bedroom window sounds like a potential burglar. The other situation might just be an annoying solicitor.

Keep the dogs barking and scare them off, regardless of who they are or why they are there.

A gun is not the answer.

34 I have an App for that December 6, 2013 at 11:41 AM

I just acquired an iPad…I wonder if there is an App for a shotgun racking sound or even for vicious dog barking. I am going to check that out and activated the next time an unknown comes knocking.

35 @ what security December 6, 2013 at 1:30 PM

that” best cop ever” video was awesome. thanks for sharing

36 Call The Police! December 6, 2013 at 9:21 PM

In both situations I think the Police should have been called. One sounds like a potential burglar, the other sounds like the same or just solicitors. But let the Police check them out – if they are legit, then it will be a short discussion probably. If they are not legit, then the Police will handle them.

Regardless, a Police presence in the neighborhood would be good with those folks around.

37 Anon December 7, 2013 at 6:37 AM

Not to lessen the seriousness of the matter, but if the person was asking about power usage, it could be these solicitors. http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/lbg/4205621127.html
Ive been looking for a side job for the past few days, and this company is spamming the board like crazy.

38 Our House December 7, 2013 at 1:54 PM

They came to our house on Michigan Blvd last night (Friday) around 7:30. My wife answered. Kind of sleazy to me. Windy, rainy and cold and these guys are knocking on doors. Never gave a business name. Wanted to see the meter to see if we qualify for their plan (whatever that was). My wife told them to go away. They also asked her name. I think so that they could go to our neighbors house and say “Betty told us to drop by your house”.