Inquest to be Held into the Death of Man Shot & Killed by Concord Police in Antioch

December 4, 2013 16:41 pm · 48 comments

In accordance with the Contra Costa County Chiefs’ of Police Association Officer Involved Fatal Incident Protocol, Sheriff-Coroner David O. Livingston will hold an inquest into the death of Charles Burns, who was shot and killed by Concord Police Officers on May 10, 2013 in the City of Antioch.

The proceedings will convene on December 19, 2013 at 9:00 AM at the A.F. Bray Courthouse, 1020 Ward Street, Department 15, Room 2003, Martinez, California.

The purpose of the inquest, which Sheriff-Coroner Livingston convenes in fatal incidents involving peace officers, is to present the facts of the incident to a jury for their deliberation and finding on the manner of death, according to the Contra Costa County Office of the Sheriff.

The inquest is open to the public and members of the media are invited to attend. However, no photographs or audio or video recordings may be taken during the proceedings.

Burns, 21, of Bay Point, was shot and killed by Concord Police while they were serving a search warrant at a home in the City of Antioch, police said.

While police were watching the house, Burns allegedly came out and got into a car driven by another 21-year-old Bay Point man.

Officers say they tried to contact Burns to serve the warrant, but the driver of the car allegedly drove off and rammed an occupied police vehicle.

The Contra Costa District Attorney’s Office says as Burns exited the vehicle and was running away from the scene, he turned toward the officers and jammed his hand down the front of his pants, ignoring officers’ commands to put his hands up. He was shot several times and died on scene.

{ 48 comments }

1 Anonymous December 4, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Suicide by cop. Truth.

2 guy December 4, 2013 at 5:07 PM

hmm. was his hand still down the front of his pants when he dropped dead?

similar to the off duty concord motorcycle cop involved in the fender bender near caldecott, who claimed the old man stuck his hand down his pants, right before officer meathead body slammed him and broke his arm.

3 SK December 4, 2013 at 5:19 PM

“The attorney for the family of Charles Burns claims officers didn’t have a warrant, and says no police vehicle was ever rammed during the incident, and adds that Burns was unarmed at the time of the shooting.”

If Charles was so innocent, why did he refuse to comply with officers’ orders, why did he run, why didn’t he put his hands in the air as commanded?

Burns’ family wants justice; looks to me like perfect justice was done at the scene.

4 Mother December 4, 2013 at 5:34 PM

So sk….for not responding to the cops demands he deserves to be killed? Its sad you think that way.

5 RunnerDope December 4, 2013 at 5:40 PM

If they were serving a search warrant on a house in Antioch, why did they try to serve the warrant on Burns who lived in Bay Point?

6 John December 4, 2013 at 6:04 PM

To Anonymous, what makes you such an expert. Charles did not commit suicide by Cop.To SK, so he ran and did not comply, that is no reason to kill him, you do not even know Charles yet you say he deserved to die.I have a good friend whose Son was shot in the back by a Martinez Cop. He was running because he had not checked in with his Probation Officer,the Cop thought he was someone else who was a Child Molester.Cop said he turned & reached down but the angle of the bullet proved he was not turned in either direction and he won the case after almost being paralysed.I am all for the Police but there are too many cases lately of some Police being too trigger happy so don’t say Justice has been served when you don.’t know anything about it!!!

7 Frank L. December 4, 2013 at 6:06 PM

If you shove your hands into your pants, cops are going to think you’re GOING FOR YOUR GUN!

I think like that, and I’m not a cop. When are people going to learn how to deal with the police?

Personally, I don’t have a problem with him being shot. Learn to cooperate with law enforcement, or pay the price!

8 Anonymous December 4, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Dear Mother,
You inquired regarding the propriety of killing this man for not responding to the Officers commands.

The answer is the totality of the circumstances. Officers dont shoot people who , for example, refuse to quit begging.

But ramming a police car and reaching into your pants after being told to freeze, will certainly get you shot. Reason being thats where crooks have guns.

Anyone who disagrees that the cops can’t assess a situation like this and defend themselves live in an alternate universe.

Not infrequently, as one poster pointed out, these people choose to die and want the cops to do it for them.They simply create a situation where the cops are forced to kill them.

Then John Burris, and others of his ilk scream about murder , etc. These peoiple are parasites who never have tried to protect the public and are to be ignored.

9 James December 4, 2013 at 6:21 PM

@#1
It was not ‘suicide by cop’… It was murder by cop. Truth.

10 good person December 4, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Well pulling ur pants up should never be a good reason for a cop to shoot u and sence when can a cop murder some one for running from them that’s not right and if u guys don’t got nun good to say don’t say it .JUSTICE FOR CHARLES BURNs

11 LESLIE GLAZE December 4, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Ya he didn’t stop but that don’t give the cop’s the right to unload on Charles Burns .they could of sent the dog or shoot him in the leg .DIRT BAG COPS YOU MURDERD A GOOD PERSON

12 Tiffany December 4, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Charles Anthony Burns. Life hasn’t been the same since you were killed. I love and miss you with every breath that i take. It gets harder everyday. Never easier. Nothing in the world will ever bring you back to us and that is something I can’t learn to live with. Tears roll down my face as I write thos. And all I can wonder is if the ones who killed you know or care how deep our families pain is. How many people they hurt when they chose to take your life? Or do they care that you had your whooe long life ahead of you. Robbed of ever having a wedding, or having more children with kelly.you had a warm, loving light. I pray your in peace. And I pray you guide and protect us through this impossible devastation that comes with losing you. Our baby boy

13 Sawyer December 4, 2013 at 7:09 PM

I’m always intrigued by articles like this and the responses that come. Someone is involved in a criminal lifestyle and something tragic happens to them and a few people (who typically struggle to put a coherent sentence together) begin saying what a good person he or she was. This begs the question, what does a person need to do to no longer be a good person. If reports are to believed this person was a drug dealer and actively involved with the meth trade. A person involved with meth is by definition contributing to the slow and painful destruction to those around him as well as the destruction of families connected to those people he aids in continuing their lifestyle. There is also the connected increase in child abuse, sexual abuse, domestic violence, and general theft and violence that comes with meth. So if he is involved in the Meth trade isn’t he at that point a bad person? If not, I guess no one’s a bad person.

I didn’t know this individual and I don’t know everything about this case o perhaps Leslie Glaze, James, John, and RunnerDope (seems like a descriptive name) can clear this up. Was Charles Burns involved with methamphetamine? Was he using it? Selling it? How did he conduct his business?

14 u kno December 4, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Concord pd is corrupt. For example I was stopped and roughed up by concord pd all because I was in a raiders jersey. When I asked why they stopped me they said I was a gang member. I have never been in a gang in my life, and im a 4.0 student.when I asked the sarg for his business card he refused, and told me if he sees me in downtown again he will arrest me.

So yeah based on the profiling I received, I believe there was foul play involved in this case.

15 Justice will be served December 4, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Finally! Justice for Charles Burns ! Everyone who knows the truth ignore the ignorance! Lets not get the comments locked! Let them look dumb and let’s focus on memories with Charles and getting the proper justice! Lets all go to this with clear positive minds and act like the better humans infront of these killers!

16 The girl December 4, 2013 at 8:37 PM

@sawyer if he was does that justify over 10 bullets to his head? What world do you live in? Prepare yourself for justice in favor to Charles because with the bulk of evidence that’s what will happen! Sorry buddy your pd isn’t as innocent as you might think they are (: sleep well tonight buddy

17 The Theorist December 4, 2013 at 9:07 PM

I predict this case will be dismissed “in the interest of justice”.. the cops always look out for their own, recent history has shown.

18 concerned mother December 4, 2013 at 9:22 PM

It seems like too many of our children are being murdered by police these days. This lethal use of force has got to stop..surely there are other ways to non-lethally subdue suspects. Glad to hear there is an inquest, but unfortunately Charles will not be able to present evidence from his side. My heart goes out to his family. Everyone is somebody’s baby. Praying for justice and peace in our community!

19 Troller December 4, 2013 at 9:22 PM

He deserved what happen to him. Living the hood life selling dope and junk. People like that need to go but no he is a good person. Who cares that he made a business off people that always rob from their family to get the next hit. America loves these types and hey remember guys he is a good “person”.

20 Wh0079 December 4, 2013 at 9:23 PM

I knew Charles. The cops knew Charles. If memory serves (and I may be wrong but I am fairly certain the cop that shot and killed Charles, also knew him). Charles wasn’t a boy scout. But he wasn’t aggressive, violent, or otherwise prone to carry a concealed weapons.
Charles was shot and killed while running away.
Charles was shot in the back. Several times.
By a cop who knew him.
Knew his personality.
Before anyone goes off about how you can never be too careful and bla, bla, bla… I know and agree.
What I don’t agree with are the circumstances in which Charles was killed.
Things happen too fast when in that type of situation. Clear thought is never the case for any of the parties involved.
The cop reacted too heavy handed period.
Charles was no boy scout but I’ll be damned if I didn’t like the kid.
My opinion is biased because of that. However, knowing the circumstances of the shooting/death, I can honestly say that I would say the same thing even if I didn’t know the person that was killed. That cop reacted too heavy handed(ly).
He shot a kid. A kid who was running in the opposite direction than he was.
He shot a kid in the back. Several times.
That cop should lose his job. End of story.
I am not against the police. Not anymore. At one time I was a knucklehead and hated cops… That was because my only dealings with them were when I was doing something I wasn’t supposed to be doing.
At this stage of my life however, I don’t “hate cops”.
They do have a tough and dangerous job.
They have a job that quite frankly… I couldn’t do. If I dealt with ppl like me day in and day out… there is no way I could remain objective. There is no way I wouldn’t become jaded.
But this cop (in my opinion) needs to find another line of work.
Cop or not… he shot a kid. He shot a kid in the back… several times.

21 Concord pd out of jurisdiction December 4, 2013 at 9:37 PM

No matter the case. What is concord pd doing in ANTIOCH conducting business… Shouldn’t Antioch pd be handling any problems in Antioch not the city, 2 cities over.. Concord pd had no right to be out there to serve any kind of warrant. He was hunted down. No excuses.

Justice for Charles.

22 Sawyer December 4, 2013 at 9:38 PM

The girl, I don’t know what happened that night as I was not there, I presume you were not either. I also am not saying he deserved anything, I think what happened was probably a tragedy all around, for everyone involved. That also was not my point. Once again, was he a meth dealer (did he at any point sell meth) or user? If so which one? And again my big question is what does it take to no longer be a good person? Are you a good person if you’re a drug dealer? Why are you guys so afraid to just answer the question?

23 From The Inside Looking Out December 4, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Concord PD harrasses innocent citizens targeting them as young as 13 to as old as 90. They MURDERED CHARLES BURNS! They say he was a drug dealer but not one piece of meth was recovered there.

He was holding up his pants-not reaching for anything. All of you ignorant people say that’s a good reason for recieving 16 shots to the back of his head by numerous fully automatic assault rifles! Since when do detectives ride around with assault rifles in their lap looking for people? They are the gang members themselves; the CPD and the Sheriffs track records prove it.

All of the ignorant people on here are saying what they’re saying because they are sitting in their nice little fantasy world and have never run into CPD or a Sheriff. Otherwise, you would agree they need to be stopped.

JUSTICE FOR CHARLES BURNS! MURDERED by people sworn to protect us. They weren’t even in their jurisdiction. CPD is the biggest gang of them all. One Sheriff stated to me, “…it never should have gone that far. If I were on the scene in the same situation there would not be a scratch on the poor kid”. Whose child is next?

JUSTICE FOR CHARLES BURNS 5/12/91-5/10/13

24 Sonia December 4, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Everyone is always so quick to judge first off his vehicle the one he was a PASSENGER OF, never rammed the police officer that is one cowardly lie the police officers have decided to include if you go back and read the original story and know the facts they never even mention that till now, secondly having your hands down your pants does not mean anything, so if I saw one of you stick your hands down your pants and run I can automatically assume you have a gun and can shoot you at my own free will? Yea that makes sense, don’t say he deserved it because he did not, there have been too many police officers who try to cover their tracks and are able
Too because they CAN and it’s soo unfair but that’s the way our justice system works , he was a good person I don’t care what people say, and the fact he was shot sooo many times is horrible and I hope the police have a legitimate story because if they don’t this gives all if them an even worse name we a

25 Antioch resident December 4, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Unfortunate for the family that lost this young man but nowadays you cannot blame the officer for his reaction. Every day these officers deal with criminals and many of them carry guns so the officer only gets one chance to make a split second decision. I don’t blame the officer one bit for his actions. Yes, this guy would probably be alive today had he not made that split second decision to turn and run from a cop, that equals a guilty choice and I would have shot too if he reached for his pants. Sounds like the family just wants to find someone to blame…blame the kid, he made the poor choices (or they want money).

26 Safe in Concord December 4, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Ten rounds to the head? (The girl) I hope so. Because if Concord PD can shoot that well I feel that much safer. I’m not going to get shot at, harrassed in any way, or tossed on the ground for wearing a Raiders jersey (u kno) (u don’t…obviously).

I work, don’t sell meth, walk my kids to school, am not perfect, and hate getting a ticket but accept it as my responsibility and not the cop’s fault.

Yes, I don’t wish death upon anyone, but no way do I judge police officers who choose to shoot at a drug dealer who is running from them after ramming cars to get away and then reaches into his waistband.

The police do not need to be shot at to justify them shooting at you. Never should they need to work at the standard. Ever.

It’s called totality of the circumstances….and once the family, and even people who are partial to the deceased hear testimony at the inquest, even they will be able to understand why this not so innocent person caused his own death.

Or maybe not, we are talking about drug dealing Antioch residents so my assumption that logic and intelligence will prevail is probably not likely…

27 Grieving family member of victim December 4, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Last night I watched home movies of our family at the zoo. And of our bday parties & gatherings etc. Charles & my sister were 2 weeks apart. I was blessed to be his cousin but also some what of an older sister to Charles. They say time heals everything but….(lump in throat) I’m not so sure. Time can’t erase 21 years 363 days of memories with a person who you loved with every aspect of your being. Now I know what they mean when they say, “Have you ever loved someone so much it hurts.” My favorite thing about my cousin Charles was his forgiving heart. We were much the same in that way. He was always willing to forgive and forget, in fact he preferred it that way. I’ll never forget the time I hurt his feelings because I had taken my sister to the mall they were just 15 yrs old. But I didn’t bring Charles. He was at a friends house that weekend. He found out at Sunday dinner (yes italian catholics rarely miss a sunday dinner) manga manga!! when he saw My sisters new shoes that in fact we had gone somewhere this weekend & went without him (what I’d do for one trip to the mall with you now cousin:( ) so Charles quickly agreed to forgive us under 2 conditions! My sister & I had to agree to never leave him behind again & I had to tell him for the millionth time ( and so i did) his favorite story about the time I locked them on the porch when I baby sat them so they jumped through the bedroom window and ambushed me with water balloons (sorry mom lol)..I swear I still feel him around me sometimes. That’s all I have left of him memories to last a lifetime. Although most days I can’t imagine ill make it much longer without him. It really does hurt that bad. Charles was a very loving, sweet average American boy next door. A lot of people love him & miss him. He never had one fist fight in his entire life. He was more the type to shake your hand and make a new friend. He had soo many friends. I know people will believe what they choose too. But this kid had a heart of gold. He just fell in love with not just his fiancé but their daughter. I will be forever great full that he had them too love. Because at least he got to experience for a short time life greatest blessings, having your own family,true love, and unconditional love for another human being. He was so compasionate and forgiving that on the darkest days I have to remind myself to make my cousin proud and carry on the way he would want me too & needs me too so he can rest in peace.

28 Rollo Tomasi December 4, 2013 at 10:43 PM

@ #23:

I have interactions with CPD and Sheriffs deputies all the time. Coach baseball with one, play golf with several others. One of my neighbors is FBI. Never had any issues with any of them. I wonder why that is?

29 Wh0079 December 4, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Hey Safe In Concord… Really? You don’t judge cops that shoot at someone running away from them?
So they (according to you by what you are saying here), are not accountable to anyone for anything?
Gestapo tactics all the way huh?
Well, sheep… you just continue to live your life blindly accepting and following anything and everything any authority figure tells you.
Right up to and including when your fleece is sheared right off your body and you are left out in the freezing cold.
Personally… cops, politicians, and anyone given any type of power or authority absolutely are accountable to me. They absolutely need to justify their actions when those actions cost a life.
I will absolutely question those individuals and demand just cause.
Because if I don’t who will?
If no one does then then we are pretty much talking about giving those individuals (cops, politicians, pretty much anyone with any authority) absolute power.
And absolute power corrupts absolutely.
So you go on and live with blinders on, accepting everything and questioning nothing since cops can do no wrong and owe you no explanations for their actions and I will take care of holding them accountable for your being left out in the cold and freezing.

30 Grieving family member of victim December 4, 2013 at 10:48 PM

I take showers, I smell really good actually, I’ve worked all my life, still do. I’m a mother & a wife. I went to great schools. I have more class in my pinky than a vast majority of you. I’ve also spent nearly every day of the victims life as a child and teen with him. He is being slandered in the media and its sad. As someone who was very close to him I know that he was an amazing and smart young man with a very bright future ahead of him. Too bad people can use there words in such a terrible and false manor. I had a beautiful childhood and life until my cousin was killed. -heartbroken
My cousin was killed 7 myths ago.

31 You play, you pay! December 4, 2013 at 10:51 PM

He was a drug dealer. Hardly a loss to society.

32 sad world December 4, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Why would they want money for there kid wtf are you ppl say think about if ur kid got shot and murdered by a officers wouldn’t you want justice there was no reason to kill a unarmed person

33 Anonymous December 4, 2013 at 10:54 PM

The defenders of this meth monkey(who opine he was shot in the head 10 times or 16 times depending on which cousin you believe) should all be locked up on felony grammar charges.

Mourn all you want but all the good guys came back alive at the end of the day and frankly , that’s what I care about. One less crankster running around doesn’t bother me.

And when you six toed mouth breathers attack me know this: I dont give a big rats ass what you think. I don’t care about your wonderful memories, not even a little bit.

34 Safe in Concord December 4, 2013 at 11:34 PM

@WH0079…yup…that’s right. I’m absolutely good with it. Shoot the bad guy and make sure you go home. You’re (the police) are the good guy, not the meth dealer scum. That’s what he was, nothing more. Childhood memories of his innocence have nothing to do with the reality he made; drug dealer on a large scale.

The necessity to use deadly force is nothing any officer dreams of or fantasizes about, and it is likely a decision they hope they never need to make. My understanding is this was a search warrant, meaning they knew who he was and knew his criminal history prior to the operation. How do you know he had no weapon violations in his background or gathered intel? He wasn’t a youngster. He wasn’t employed. He was your typical 20 something dope dealer who cares about no one.

By the way, no one is accountable to you, you’re no one but a guy who thinks he’s important. Also, no one cares about your rambling affinity for sheep, which was odd. There’s more there I think huh?

Give your sheep a little snuggle for me tonight! Thanks for keeping us safe Sheep79!!!…you’re the best!

35 Anonymous December 5, 2013 at 12:15 AM

@ #30:

“I went to great schools.”

“there (sic)”

“manor”

Should have gone to your classes, too.

36 Hmmm December 5, 2013 at 1:06 AM

Charles Anthony was a good kid. As an adult he made some bad choices. We all make bad choices, I thank God everyday that I wasn’t murdered for the bad choices I made in my youth. Every once and awhile someone pays the price with their life, to remind us how precious life is. The only way to honor the lost life of a good soul is to not waste yours. I truly hope that everyone who loved Charles remembers that he wouldn’t want any one of us to pay the price he paid. Be smart and do the right thing. Turn your lives in a direction you can be proud of, a direction that leads you away from the power hungry and corrupt. Do not fall into the trap that the media has laid before you. Resist the urge to believe that you have to dress a certain way, listen to certain types of music, speak a certain way, and die young. You are not the property of your generation, you are more than a stereo-type. Decide what type of life you WANT to live, and then create it. Honor Charles Anthony’s memory, and do something better with the life you are lucky enough to have.

37 Wh0079 December 5, 2013 at 1:19 AM

Safe in Concord – Interesting that all you got from my sheep analogy seems to be something sexual. Speaks volumes.
However, moving past your need to publicly announce your sexual preference towards beasteality, (Piece of advice… it was first said in a movie but I think it applies here for you as well… “You can love your pets…. just don’t LOOOOVE your pets”).
You are damned right. I do think I am important. I think I am as important as you, my neighbor next door, the guy in one of the homeless camps around the Willow Pass Bridge, Charles, or friggen Barack Obama for that matter.
I know I am as important as any one of them and vice versa.
“All men are created equal” (and woman) … I wholeheartedly agree with that. Sad that you apparently don’t. Perhaps spending a little less time with your animals and a little more time around people, you may start to see the importance of them too.
On to your point of “Shoot a bad guy and make sure you go home…”
Make sure you go home I agree with. Hell, shoot a bad guy I agree with… however, I am not going to simply accept that the person who was shot is a bad guy on blind faith.
Just because someone has a badge doesn’t make them right.
I hate to burst your bubble there tiger…(oops… don’t want to turn you on by mentioning another animal.. keep it in your pants pal… both hands on the keyboard…) but cops screw up too. Unfortunately there are too many people that think like you and just look away rather than make cops accountable for their actions.
Once again… let me reiterate… cops in general are OK. Again, they do a job that quite frankly, I couldn’t. And for the most part, are in it to help people. But that doesn’t mean there aren’t plenty of them that are complete scumbags. Hell, earlier today in fact, someone I care about very deeply told me a story about how, after dealing with one of Concords finest, they left her in absolute tears. Why? (And this is where your sad little mind will make some stupid ass comments about how she must have deserved to be in tears Safe in Concord), but the real reason she was in tears was because all of the sexual comments he made to her during the conversation she had with him.
His comments and passes were not welcomed nor wanted by her but that didn’t matter to him… But according to you, we don’t question cops or hold them accountable for their actions. We just accept that they did what they had to do.
I’ll be damned if I don’t question the cop that hurt my friend and I would rather burn in hell than accept that his actions were necessary.
With regards to your comment about the fact that no cop ever fantasizes about using deadly force. Well I should hope not. They are in the wrong line of work if they do.
With regards to weapons violations… I don’t know. What I do know is that Charles was shot with his back turned to the cop. That cop killed someone whose back was turned to them. That’s what I know. I also know that this cop should absolutely lose his job at minimum for killing a kid whose back was turned to him. Incidentally… you make Charles out to sound like he was older than he was… “20 something”… He was 21. He still had a whole life ahead of him.
Lastly, no one may be accountable to you… I don’t know.. I’m not you (thank god for that… I don’t even own one wifebeater shirt and I am really not that crazy about Budweiser you friggen backwoods redneck).
However, MY police force, MY local and federal government, and MY military are all accountable to ME and millions and millions of others including you. It’s just too bad that you don’t understand this principle. That is the beauty of the country we live in. We live in a democratic society not a monarchy. I decide who goes into office and speaks for me by voting and I hold accountable any person who abuses their power no matter who they are or what position they hold. Be it cop or the President.

38 Anonymous December 5, 2013 at 7:15 AM

Some of the posters are poseurs, anxious to impress and pretend they were best friends or close relatives. Even a superficial analysis reveals them to be the same person , clearly under the influence of meth while writing. Pitiful.

39 Antioch Resident December 5, 2013 at 7:19 AM

It seems to me that I read that this kid was dealing meth, and the family was aware of it, is that right? If so, the cops had reason to investigate/search him.

Also seems that he ran away and tried to evade police when they showed up, and reached in his pants (whether he had a gun or not is irrelevant, the police have to assume he is getting a gun which is endangering their lives and others around them). If so, why run away from the police if you are such a ‘good person’?

Listen, I’m the first to admit that we all make bad decisions. However, I will tell you that I have never made any decision to break the law by selling drugs or otherwise. When you start running in those circles, bad things start to happen. As another poster said “when you play, you pay”. This kid wanted to live the ‘thug life’ and he paid with his life for it. Instead of selling meth, maybe he could have earned money the old fashioned way like I did, making minimum wage at a crappy job. Not glamorous, I was poor, but it was legal.

For all of the family and friends making excuses for him, I feel sorry for you. I understand you lost a family member or friend, but look at the circumstances…… the police were completely within their rights to shoot him given the actions HE took.

I’m so tired of constantly hearing these thugs families defending them when they get shot, saying what a ‘great kid’ they were (i.e. Oscar Grant, Trayvon Martin, etc). Stop trying to make a money grab with a lawsuit (clearly what is happening here) and accept the fact that this kid was a thug and got what he deserved. He could have made better choices that were LEGAL and he would be here today. Again, you play you pay.

40 Rollo Tomasi December 5, 2013 at 7:38 AM

Maybe it would help some of you understand the nastiness that gets posted here if you would remember the difference between “mistakes” and “crimes”. It’s true that we all make mistakes. Those of us who believe in personal responsibility and have respect for others and their property limit our “mistakes” to forgetting to pay bills or fracturing the occasional speed limit.

If perhaps once in awhile those of you who knew and loved these miscreants would own the fact that they were criminals and lived a lifestyle that exposed them to the possibility of armed confrontations with law enforcement, there might be a little more empathy to be found in the posts that people leave on Claycord.

41 Anonymous December 5, 2013 at 7:52 AM

An intersting study made of reaction time in shootings. By the time a crook reaches in his pants, the cops decide to shoot, and the crook turns, the physics may well allow time enough to be “Shot in the back”

To the friends and supporters : I think you are a bunch of frauds. Making up association to share in the poity party.

If you knew him, quickly, Which ear did he have the a wart on?” Clock is running.

42 Anonymous December 5, 2013 at 8:04 AM

Dear Wh0079

Where to start?

You make the case that you are as valuable as a guy under a bridge. Probably about right.

You call for accountability, which is fine, but then, knowing nothing about this situation, call for the Officers termination. Might want to go to the inquest and find out facts if you think it would be helpful.

And yes , we do hold cops accountable. Happens all the time. Check out the CNET scandal. Bunch of cops in jail, or did you miss that?

Lastly your little character assasination story about someone who told you, who told us, about sexual comments made by a cop? You said he had her in tears. If you are so self righteous and upset, why dont you have the courage to accompany your friend to the police and report it? You have strong opinions, why dont you back them up? Can’t have accountability if people like you are scared to do anything , can we?

Well Ill tell you why a stalwart like you didn’;t report what , if correct, would be a termination offense: You just made it up.

43 grieving family member December 5, 2013 at 9:32 AM

#30 you know how to proof read. Bravo. Made one mistake. Writting my thoughts here. Anon is not even an officer he is trolling. Don’t give him a reaction.

44 RunnerDope December 5, 2013 at 10:30 AM

>> “All men are created equal” … I wholeheartedly agree with that. Sad that you apparently don’t.

@wh0079,

You have really twisted the meaning of that phrase so you can feel as important as the President of the USA or anyone else. It means that we all have the same rights under the law, not that all people are equally gifted in all areas.

45 Anonymous December 5, 2013 at 10:39 AM

WH0079 got called out big time and is frozen with fear.

46 Mr. Pink December 5, 2013 at 11:18 AM

I tend to agree with Sawyer. And like Sawyer, I’m still waiting for answers here from those who knew Charles. Dealer? User? Thief?

47 Anonymous December 5, 2013 at 11:19 AM

@ #43

“Too bad people can use there words in such a terrible and false manor.”

There are TWO glaring mistakes in that one sentence. “Writting” makes three. Maybe you should write in a personal journal instead we of lending your support to this criminal in such an illiterate manner.

By the way, Olympic is not a great school.

48 Mr. Pink December 5, 2013 at 11:19 AM

And could this whole thing have been avoided if he was simply wearing a belt??