Temperatures Expected to Drop Below Freezing in Claycord Tonight

December 3, 2013 18:53 pm · 19 comments

weather

Although no freeze warning is in effect tonight, temperatures are expected to drop below freezing, so cover those plants, bring in your animals and stay warm!

A freeze warning has been issued by the National Weather Service from 9pm on Wednesday night until 9am on Thursday morning, when temps are expected to drop into the 20′s.

{ 19 comments }

1 No Name Necessary December 3, 2013 at 7:03 PM

I’m going through the change. The colder the better!

A freeze warning? You’re preaching to the choir! It’s 49 degrees out, and I’m sitting in front of my bedroom window that’s wide open. I keep it wide open every night, but I think I’ll close it “part way” tonight……

2 Amy December 3, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Please remember the pets and keep them warm.

3 Antler December 3, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Wish I had remembered to deep-soak our big citrus trees…..well, tomorrow is another day, Garden Girl.

4 spanky mc'gee December 3, 2013 at 8:01 PM

i say we go streaking, with stockings on

5 Ven Exeter December 3, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Brrrrrrrr! Where’s Al Gore when you need him?

6 Sheila December 3, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Please bring your pets inside! And cover your plants.

7 Teacher Wannabe December 3, 2013 at 9:09 PM

@ Ven Exeter, what’s he going to do, give warm hugs?

8 furian December 3, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Better find the damn cat and bring her in.

9 Dr. Jellyfinger December 3, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Time to bring out that special mink lined tube sock for ‘ol Mr. Pokey.

10 macawlady December 3, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Is it necessary to cover small cacti? I have one barrel cactus and one rabbit ear plant. Both fairly small, but I would hate to lose either since they belonged to my mother.

11 Lari December 3, 2013 at 10:08 PM

@spanky mc’gee: thanks for the laugh! I just covered geraniums, bougainvillea, ficus and citrus trees. Last year, I forgot and lost all these lush geranium bushes. They used to come back, but last year we had several nights in a row below freezing…don’t want that to happen again.

12 Maya Piñon December 3, 2013 at 10:18 PM

And cover your exposed water faucet, pipes outside with a towel

13 Sinn Feiner December 3, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Finally some cold weather!! Wish it was like this year round. I’m heading to Denmark on Friday which is the coldest weather I have ever experienced so at least this is preparing me for it somewhat.

14 nytemuvr December 4, 2013 at 12:42 AM

@macawlady #10
My barrel cactus I just sit under the front porch overhang. I let mine sit out last winter where it sat last summer (all day sun) with no effects. I’m in the valley, north of Sacramento, and we had many under 30 degrees nights. It’s 32 right now at midnight and suppose to get down to 22 by the end of the week. They do need a little water through the winter too, very little like once a month. I know how it is with handed-down plants. My Grandma brought a plant called a shrimp plant in the early ’40s from Oklahoma and it gets special care, still almost lost it last year. It had grown in Concord since the ’40s, no one in the family I know could get it to grow in the central valley. I understand your feelings.

15 Clayton Squirrel December 4, 2013 at 7:18 AM

It was really cold. My chickens’ outside water bowl is frozen solid as is the water in my hose.

16 Anonymous December 4, 2013 at 7:50 AM

It had to be in the upper 20′s late last night. It was 30 degrees at 7am.

17 Bob December 4, 2013 at 8:10 AM

Yum! Corn snake-cicles!

18 Incognito December 4, 2013 at 8:26 AM

@macawlady #10
One night exposed may not be enough to damage your cacti, but we have in the forecast several nights of freezing and below freezing temps, dropping into the 20′s. It has been my past experienced if your cacti is not protected you will soon discovered it has been frost bitten and will start to rot from the inside – so yes, cover it up!

19 macawlady December 4, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Thanks for the advice. I decided to just bring the rabbit ear plant indoors for now. I will cover the barrel cactus as it’s in a heavy pot and not easy to move. Hoping for the best!