Claycord Online Museum – Concerts at the Concord Pavilion & an Old Ticket Stub from a 1982 “Air Supply” Concert

December 3, 2013 14:00 pm · 52 comments

air_supply

The ticket stub shown above is from an Air Supply concert at the Concord Pavilion in 1982.

QUESTION: What was the first concert you ever saw at the Concord Pavilion?

Click on the tag below titled “Claycord Online Museum” to view other items!

{ 52 comments }

1 Anon777 December 3, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Not sure it was my first concert there, but most memorable was July 1982. I saw Heart and John Cougar and gave birth to my daughter 3 days later.

2 wc44 December 3, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Oak Ridge Boys

3 ebay post December 3, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Didn’t I just post this on ebay?

4 Greg in Pleasant Hill December 3, 2013 at 2:15 PM

To this day, the long standing record of 12,000 Cosby sweaters at a concert has never been broken.

5 Julie December 3, 2013 at 2:16 PM

The first concert I ever saw at the Concord Pavilion was Three Dog Night. I think it was 1975. I was 14, and it was my first concert.

It wasn’t the best concert I saw there. That would be The Tubes in 76 and 77, or Lynyrd Skynyrd/Nazareth in the summer of 76.

Besides Day on the Greens in Oakland, the Pavilion was one of the best places to see a concert. As a teenager anyway!

6 Gilbert December 3, 2013 at 2:26 PM

My first concert I was 15. Summer of 87. I saw thr Thompson Twins at the Pavilion. Epic!

7 Jim December 3, 2013 at 2:33 PM

That’s it…the Air Supply concert…how funny is that?

8 guest December 3, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Mayor-
Please make a big deal about the progress of the Live Nation/City of Concord negotiations. Claycord would be a good forum for citizen comments. Thank you.

9 P.H. Neighbor December 3, 2013 at 2:41 PM

The first concert that I saw at the C.P. was Eric Clapton.

10 Marissa December 3, 2013 at 2:44 PM

I remember when the Concord Pavilion rocked! Every name under the sun played there.

11 WCMom December 3, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Bill Cosby 1985 (?)

12 JW December 3, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Wow, $8.50! To take a nap on the grass? No, really, I am kidding; Air Supply isn’t that bad. My mom had the LP when I was a kid and I still make fun of it out of habit.

Anyway, Julie at post 5 said that “the Pavilion was one of the best places to see a concert.” I disagree. I think that it still is one of the best places to see a show. I always have a great time when I am there and I find it to be 50x better than the other theater in Mountain View. I just wish that they would get some more great bands. Since I moved to this area, there has usually been at least one show a year that I wanted to check out but this year there wasn’t anything.

13 fulubulu December 3, 2013 at 3:14 PM

fyi- The Pavilion was designed by Frank Geary (architect) and Peter Walker (landscape architect). Walker also designed the 9/11 Memorial at Ground Zero.

14 LostBoysMom December 3, 2013 at 3:23 PM

I think the first concert I saw there was John Denver. (Don’t judge me!) But I do remember it opened in 1975 and Ygnacio Valley High had such a large graduating class (right before Northgate opened) that they had their ceremony at the Pavilion. After that all the other area schools started doing it.

15 Fritzhugh Ludlow December 3, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Just before the Pavillion offically opened they had a free night that a very small number of people attended. After a bunch of boring speeches by City Leaders they had some Music….The only Musician I remember was a Young Lady Folk Singer, with Her Guitar, Who “has come all the way from New Mexico to sing for us”. Best Concert ever was the “DOORS” in 2003.

16 The Professor December 3, 2013 at 3:57 PM

First concert I saw there was Air Supply (but I think it was in 1980 or 1981) “Merlin” opened up for them and the lead singer also played electric violin.

I worked there as a security guard in 1986-87 and worked/saw some great/wild shows. But the best show I ever saw was Halloween night, 1982. Randy Hanson (Great Jimi Hendrix style guitar), then Motley Crue (they were just starting out and Nikki Sixx lit himself on fire), and finally headlined by Y&T.

17 Mid December 3, 2013 at 3:57 PM

John Denver

18 Stoutheart December 3, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Rick Springfield in the early ’80′s

19 Mark December 3, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Have seen many shows there. I had season tickets for years. Each year my seats would get a little bit better. Then one year there were no bands I wanted to see. Instead of being required to buy tickets to (5) shows to keep my seats, I let my rights to my season tickets expire. From then on I sat on the lawn to whatever show I wanted to see. Two memorable shows were Neil Young (once with Lucinda Williams opening, and once doing his Greendale stuff). The show that got the crowd going the most was George Thorogood. He had the crowd on their feet dancing the entire show.

20 love December 3, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Rick Springfield

21 DGiddens December 3, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Leo Sayer 1980 or 81 with my mom! I loved the Old layout of the Pavilion. My friend worked for Taylor Made and the reserved seating was so close and intimate.

22 JR December 3, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Depeche Mode – late 90′s (I think)

23 biggus thinkus December 3, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Foreigner! Rock it! Juke Box Hero closer

24 yesteryear December 3, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Either 1975 or 1976 and it was The Captain & Tennille. A comedian, Kip Addotta, opened up. I was in the 6th grade at Crawford Village Elementary. Went with a group of kids from school.

25 Colonel Kurtz December 3, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Takes guts to admit attending an Air Supply concert.
The Horrors

26 anon December 3, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Frank Gehry was the architect of the Concord Pavillion?

27 Tommy O' December 3, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Marshall Tucker Band, The Outlaws, (aka The FLA Guitar Army), and Grinderswitch, 197?. The parking lots weren’t paved yet, and the sheriffs were, appropriately, on horseback, Awesome show, long commute on YVR…

28 TFF FAN December 3, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Remember the annual Halloween concert with Y&T? Those were the days….

29 Sue December 3, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Bette Midler, then the most expensive seats at $30:

30 Rick December 3, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Lynyrd Skynyrd and Nazareth in the late 70′s. I’ll take Julie’s word for it that it was the summer of 1976.

Excellent concert for about $5 or $6 bucks!

31 Parents took me December 3, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Captain & Tennille. Just the beginning of a long concert-going life.

32 Larry December 3, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Pure Prairie League.1974 they were the replacement band for The Guess Who who did not show up because they had already dis-banded.Great concert bought all of Pure Prairie’s albums after seeing them perform live.

33 Bruse December 3, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Rick Springfield with Quarterflash 1983

34 OldWCreeker December 3, 2013 at 7:01 PM

First show was Jesus Chris Superstar with Ted Neely. Great! Other memorables, Oakridge Boys, New York Philharomic with Zubin Mehta, California Symphony, Rod Stewart and Carlos Santana several times.

35 ClayDen December 3, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Chuck Mangione, the second concert held there. As I recall, Sarah Vaughn opened it.

36 Claire December 3, 2013 at 7:07 PM

The Tubes. Halloween night, 1976.

Great concert! Saw them again in ’77, and many concerts thereafter!

I think the tickets were about 6 bucks!

37 oldschool December 3, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Sha Na Na with Bowzer.

Jesus Christ Superstar was great as a kid too.

38 J. December 3, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Jim Stafford.

I don’t like spiders and snakes.

The devil went down to georgia.

39 Fr49ered December 3, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Neil Sedaka in 1979

40 Kelly December 3, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Oooohhh….Chuck Mangione. Feel So Good! Yes Yes Yes! The countless times that record played!

41 Almondgirl December 3, 2013 at 8:45 PM

I remember Jimmy Buffett, Rod Stewart, and the Beach Boys. Good times.

42 Killjoy December 3, 2013 at 9:12 PM

The Tubes. I think it was about 1982. It was $2.00

43 Steve December 3, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Lynyrd Skynyrd and Nazareth—1976.

44 EF December 3, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Howard Jones…1985??? And my dad, who drove four preteens to the show and went to it with us, somehow left the car locked with the keys in the ignition with the engine running for the entire show! We didn’t realize it til we came out three hours later. Poor guy!

45 Lucy December 3, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Anyone go to the Jazz Festivals? Many great musicians & entertainers through the years…use to go with my Uncle.

46 Momo December 3, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Berry Manilow in the pouring rain. Either 1975 or 1976. One of the best concerts I’ve ever been too.

47 Dr. Jellyfinger December 3, 2013 at 11:36 PM

I saw the Rolling Stones there in 1972

48 Vallas December 4, 2013 at 3:43 AM

Ronnie Montrose performed the instrumentals from the newly released Open Fire album, Steve Perry and Journey took the stage after that to lay the infinity album on us. It was 78 or 79 right around there.

49 Mac December 4, 2013 at 7:21 AM

Was at the Rick Springfield… John Mellincamp….Beach Boys….Journey….Eddie Money/ 38 Special / Sammy Hagar….Brian Adams… Walked out on Heart twice, that lead singers voice was way too loud and over bearing

Had many great times there.
Even went there to see USA Boxing with John Madden in the front row watching it.

So cool to have a place like this so close to home.

50 GoodTimes December 4, 2013 at 7:33 AM

My first concern at the Pavillion was Manhattan Transfer. I wish they’d have good venues there again. It’s a great place for a concert.

I’ve seen the Moody Blues and Steve Miller there. The Moody Blues concert was a ton of fun.

The best concert I’ve seen perform there was in 2004–Jackson Browne and Keb Mo along with some Rockabilly band as the opener. Really good.

51 RanchgirlCA December 4, 2013 at 10:55 AM

My first was the Rick Springfield concert in 1983 as well. Spent many evenings at the Pavillion with season tickets since then. While I still think its a great place to see a show, it’s such a disappointment every year when there are so few shows to go to, and the ones there are, aren’t worth going to. The venue is still nice, but the parking lot has become almost as difficult to get out of as the Shoreline. It’s my one complaint when I do go.

52 Oakley Girl December 4, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Rita Coolidge and Kris Kristofferson in 1978. It was right after Janis Joplin died and Kris was a drunken mess on stage. I was 11 yrs old. Next one was Halloween night 1985 Motley Crue opened for Y&T,