“Operation Santa” Seeking Volunteers to Answer Children’s Letters

December 2, 2013 8:00 am · 12 comments

letters

Some Bay Area children and families who are mailing their holiday requests to Santa Claus can expect a response from the jolly old elf himself with the help of volunteers and the U.S. Postal Service.

The postal service in December will continue its 101-year-old “Letters to Santa” program, in which workers and volunteers answer letters to Santa Claus and make the letter writers’ holiday wishes a reality.

“During these difficult economic times, many families and children write to Santa as a last resort,” said Mark Martinez, manager of the USPS Bay-Valley District.

Martinez said that “in most cases, the children who write are asking for something for a sister or brother, or other family member, instead of themselves.”

Postal service employees, customers and organizations can help fulfill those wishes by heading to one of USPS’ Operation Santa locations and adopting a letter, bringing a wrapped gift back to the same location and paying for postage to mail the present to the recipient.

The gift will then be shipped to the letter writer with the return address Operation Santa – North Pole.

Children’s personal information will be redacted in the letters, according to the USPS.

The program begins on Tuesday and will run through Dec. 19.

Those looking for more information about the “Operation Santa” program can call (510) 874-8737 or visit THIS LINK.

The program dates back to 1912, when Postmaster General Frank Hitchcock authorized local postmasters to allow employees and citizens to respond to letters to Mr. Claus.

© 2013 by Bay City News, Inc. — Republication, Rebroadcast or any other Reuse without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.

{ 12 comments }

1 Anonymous December 2, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Dont tell Yhe Phantom about this. He will bore the kids to death with cut and paste.

2 babytruck December 2, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Philly, NY, LA, FL, I think there was one in SF….

3 Cassandra December 2, 2013 at 11:47 AM

I’d love to do this! After looking at the list, SF is the closest location, but I will combine it with a shopping trip to Union Square.

Will do tomorrow!

4 Suzanne Watts December 2, 2013 at 11:47 AM

@babytruck
You’re right, there is one ine SF…..

5 Yhe laughing guy December 2, 2013 at 12:29 PM

@#1, THAT was funny.

6 Michelle December 2, 2013 at 1:08 PM

@Yhe laughing guy
You have no sense of humor, just cut and paste. :-)

7 Antonio December 2, 2013 at 2:16 PM

God bless Cassandra and her generosity.

If she’s not supporting the A’s through Post Season, she’s dropping off a car load of turkeys at the Salvation Army, driving to Concord to support the seniors, or going to San Francisco to support the kids in need.

Wow!

8 DOREEN HUEY December 2, 2013 at 6:17 PM

I know a family of 7 I mom and 6 children I am so happy that I was able to provide their Christmas list they only ask for sheets and pillows for their new beds help a child if you see who has lest then you

9 Dr. Jellyfinger December 2, 2013 at 10:40 PM

I think I’ll rush right down there and volunteer.

10 ThatGuy December 3, 2013 at 9:19 PM

wait……Santa’s not real… ):

11 Cassandra December 3, 2013 at 11:21 PM

So on the way home from SF this evening to do Operation Santa, I hear on KCBS that Oakland’s Main Post Office is doing it to!

That’s what I get for flipping over from my music to news. Anyway, if anyone wants to do this, and SF is too far, maybe you can find it in your heart to go to Oakland!

Was going to shop in the city anyway!

12 Martinez. '14 :) December 5, 2013 at 12:21 AM