BEWARE: Thief Spotted Stealing Package from Porch Near Concord/Clayton Border

December 2, 2013 15:30 pm · 74 comments

A thief was caught red-handed, but got away after attempting to steal a package from the front porch of a home on Delaware Dr. in Concord on Monday.

Here’s the information from the victim:

Today around 3pm I opened my door and this guy had a freshly delivered package in his hands and was walking away from my porch. The doorbell had rang about two minutes earlier, and since I knew it was probably the package delivery person I didn’t answer it right away because I was dealing with a plumbing problem. When I saw the thief I screamed at him and he looked at me, dropped the package and ran. I was inside so I didn’t get a look to see if he had a vehicle or not. He ran down my walkway towards Clayton Rd. on Delaware Dr.

He was a dirty looking white guy, bald on top with blonde hair on the sides. I only got a quick look at his face because when he saw me he booked it out of there. I think he might have seen the delivery truck and waited a minute to see if anybody was going to open the door, and when I didn’t he probably though nobody was home. What a jerk.

I just wanted to let others know to be careful. I was lucky that I got my package back but others won’t be so lucky.

Thanks for the email. We’ll be hearing more and more of this as it gets closer to Christmas. Don’t be a victim, use caution and always have the package delivered to a trusted place where you know somebody will either sign for it right away or keep it until you arrive.

{ 74 comments }

1 Tina December 2, 2013 at 3:50 PM

And we should feel sorry for this person – because? As much that has been written about this on this blog, it’s difficult to understand why people are still so stupid. Unless this person’s house is flooding, why would he/she ignore the first ring when the package was delivered?

These crooks just find a UPS or FED EX truck and then follow it around to see where deliveries are made, and then wait to see how long it takes for people to take in the packages. If the packages are left on the doorstep, it’s free for the taking.

2 Original G December 2, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Just came in from yard work, since it’s close by will take a little ride. Already have Concord PD dispatch programmed into phone.

3 jtkatec December 2, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Let the hangings begin.

4 Jerk December 2, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Tina, You’re An Idiot. We should wait in Fear & Paranoia for the package to be placed on our step and break down the front door, scaring the crap out of the delivery person to make sure nobody steals what does not belong to them.
Sounds Logical. How about people stay off of my property. Better yet, how about all new homes be built with fences – Oakland style.

5 ANON December 2, 2013 at 4:09 PM

When you yell-they run & you will never catch them
get out the pepper spray & approach & spray when they attempt to hurt you and tell that to the cops & get your stuff back

6 GoodJobYouSawHim December 2, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Good job that you caught him red handed. I hope the cops can catch him and give him more than a slap on the wrist. So sad that this is going on. Wish wish wish it would stop.

7 Mark December 2, 2013 at 4:16 PM

The same thing happened to me, but it was not a package it was my mail.

I heard the mail man put mail into my box but I was studying so I did not get up right away, and 1 minute later I heard my mailbox lid slam again. When i went out to check there was no mail in the box.

I hate Thieves, maybe next time I will meat him with my baseball bat.

8 Keith December 2, 2013 at 4:24 PM

At least this guy was home, and he screamed at the jerk, and he actually dropped the package.

WHEN YOU ORDER ON LINE, OVER THE PHONE, REGARDLESS OF THE COMPANY, REQUEST SIGNATURE REQUIRED!

REPEAT, SIGNATURE REQUIRED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you accuse me of shouting, I am. I order everything, SIGNATURE REQUIRED, and if my wife and I aren’t home, UPS and Fed Ex come back until they get a signature.

99% of the time someone is home to SIGN FOR THE PACKAGE! We always have a tracking number, and we know what time UPS comes (early morning), and Fed Ex (early afternoon). Any other company, I have no idea what time they’ll arrive.

I’M SICK OF PACKAGE ON THE PORCH STORIES ON CLAYCORD THAT COULD EASILY BE AVOIDED BY:

1. SIGNATURE REQUIRED

2. HAVING IT DELIVERED TO A DIFFERENT ADDRESS (WORK, ETC.)

If your package is stolen, it could’ve easily been avoided with COMMON SENSE!!!!!!!!!!!!

The holidays are here, and this problem will only get worse.

WAKE UP PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9 armed December 2, 2013 at 4:25 PM

You saw the guy, why didn’t you get you gun?

10 Michelle December 2, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Way to go, I’m not sure what good that has done so far. Most crooks just stare you in the face when you scream at them. Well done.

11 isabelle December 2, 2013 at 4:29 PM

I don’t feel sorry for any of them. They steal something, shoot them.

12 babytruck December 2, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Tina, I think the OP said it was maybe two minutes after the bell rang. What if the plumbing problem was actually someone …..maybe……..going to the bathroom? Sometimes you just can’t rush things.

And we should be able to feel safe that nobody is going to trespass and steal our property. But then again, that’s not reality anymore. :( I guess from now on, we need to call off of work so we can wait on the porch for the delivery and lose a days pay. IF it gets delivered on time…

13 babytruck December 2, 2013 at 4:35 PM

I had a signature required on a package. Sometimes that doesn’t work. My package was on the porch and someone else signed it. I was in the house and I didn’t hear the bell ring.

LOL

14 mutts December 2, 2013 at 4:36 PM

After u shoot them….get a rope!

15 Howard K Mullins III December 2, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Track him down, give him a choice. A bullet between the eyes or a rope around the neck.

Who says people aren’t considerate?

16 Elwood December 2, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Gotta love tweekers.

They should be shot on sight.

17 Craig December 2, 2013 at 4:57 PM

I’m with Keith. We use “signature required” on all orders, so this will never be an issue.

I blame UPS, FED EX, etc. Years ago you had to sign for everything. 3 notices, then you had to pick it up yourself. These days the drivers are too lazy to return, so they just dump the package on the porch.

The carries are responsible for stolen packages, but UPS, etc. just passes the cost onto consumers by raising their rates.

18 Cowellian December 2, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Get a Club!

And use it on the thieves.

19 Concordian December 2, 2013 at 5:07 PM

It always amazes me when people blame the victim. Yes, there is a place for wisdom and caution when purchasing items to be delivered, but what is gained when we heap ridicule on the innocent?

20 Girl w/ dogs December 2, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Call me an idiot, how do I request “signature required” when I order from say, Amazon?

21 UH1Vce160 December 2, 2013 at 5:21 PM

One of mine was stolen yesterday at 11:00am from my porch on Kentucky Dr.
(State streets). The delivery person did not knock, ring the bell or yell. We were home at the time. It was signed for by F. Door. Just pure laziness.

22 livinConcord December 2, 2013 at 5:23 PM

I just bought a wifi camera for this reason. Hope someone doesn’t steal it from my door step before I can install it.

Actually, I bought it to spy on my dogs after one ate half the turkey off the counter. He is a thief… I don’t blame him. I blame myself for leaving it where he could get it.

23 Chevrolet girl December 2, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Ok so let’s blame the victim. We need to blame the low life crooks that are too lazy to work, that feel entitled to shop off of our porches. There are no consequences to their actions. These guys need to be caught and have the sh.. kicked out of them. Scary how fast this country has gone downhill.
The old days you could leave your front door open, have a package delivered and have it sit on the porch all day, windows open at night. The future is bleak! I live in the state streets and will definitely be keeping my eye open and my gun loaded!

24 Nokeem December 2, 2013 at 5:32 PM

JC, Tina. What if she were in the restroom? Does she get a pass? What is wrong with you? Blaming the victim is nonsense, counterproductive and a host of other maladies. She got there fairly quickly delivery b/c she caught the theft in progress.. I am glad she got her package and got the word out in terms of location and a bit of a description. Shape up Tina.

25 Ernie December 2, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Easy to say “Shoot ‘em,” but face it, that gets the shooter in big time trouble. As for the signature required thing, like one writer wrote, it doesn’t work all the time. Better to call 911 and let LE deal with it. So many problems, so little time.

26 Tina December 2, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Concordian – because the same stupid people keep doing the same stupid things – duh!!!!

27 go for it December 2, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Armed, ya right as if they had time to go get the gun. You people that think that violence is the answer to all.

28 Frank L. December 2, 2013 at 6:14 PM

@ Chevrolet Girl—23

It’s not blaming the victim. People are trying to send a message. These things could easily be avoided if people would use good judgment.

Advising someone to request signature required is good advice. So is telling someone to have someone at the house the day it’s supposed to be delivered. Or have it delivered elsewhere, including work.

If people don’t want to listen, fine. Have your packages stolen, and quit whining about it on Claycord. I, too, am sick of hearing about it.

Cry me a river!

29 According to tina December 2, 2013 at 6:15 PM

All mail service and package delivery is now stupid.

30 Practical December 2, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Now that Amazon is going to use Drones, the solution is simple. Arm the drones. If, within 5 minutes of delivery, someone approaches the front of the house and removes the package, the drone could be programmed to shoot them.

31 funny man December 2, 2013 at 6:52 PM

this could all have been avoided if we passed mandotory concealed carry for all law-abiding homeowners… center mass double shot would prevent this from ever occuring again!

on the plus side… there would be a whole lot more space in the prisons!

32 Chevrolet girl December 2, 2013 at 6:57 PM

@ Frank L. I get what your saying. I do. But these safety steps are not full prof, then again nothing is I guess. But it’s worth a try. I had a delivery guy bring the package to the door, take it back to the truck, drive away and claim he left with the lady of the house. NOT. My neighbor saw the whole thing. It was redelivered. Just sad that you can’t trust people.

@ 27 Who said I would have to go get my gun.? Also you are incorrect, I do not think violence is the answer to everything. I was in a fight 30 years ago as a freshman when a girl hit me from behind, that’s the last sort of violence I was involved in.

33 Tina December 2, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Frank L – thank you – that was my whole point.

34 Cowellian December 2, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Good luck with that signature only attitude once Amazon starts making deliveries by drone.

35 Have No Idea How It Happened December 2, 2013 at 7:09 PM

…. now Officer, look around my yard, …. there are no bricks used in the landscaping anywhere . . . .

36 Get Out Of Jail December 2, 2013 at 7:17 PM

There is virtually no down side for a package thief. Since AB-109 jails are over crowded with felons serving their time in County Jail. A misdemeanor if caught and sentenced, sentences under AB-109 are automatically cut in half, will be out in matter of days or hours.

NOTE,
Assemblywoman Bonilla and State Senator DeSaulnier both Voted For AB-109.

37 Miguel December 2, 2013 at 7:23 PM

@ Cowellian~~~~34

Signature only isn’t an “attitude”. It’s common sense.

Not everyone shops at Amazon, looking for a 30 minute delivery. And what’s that going to cost?

I’m with Keith, Craig, Tina and Frank. Packages can’t be stolen if they’re not left on the porch.

38 Dorlores December 2, 2013 at 7:43 PM

I haven’t had the problems most have had on this site. My packages get delivered to me. There are times when I have my neighbor take them for me, but I always get them from her. No problem.

39 happy December 2, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Keith requesting a signature means nothing. This time of the year they sign for you or just leave it. They will not keep delivering even if they follow the rules 3 tries and it goes back. I have had carriers leave a 3rd delivery try notice the first time they try and the package is sent back.

40 ap December 2, 2013 at 7:52 PM

I think that’s the around in the shopping center behind your home. Same description. He rides a bike there all the time tell the police

41 Nom de Plume December 2, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Signature required does NOT work. UPS, FedEx and USPS ignore that most of the time. Also they never ring the doorbell when delivering packages. So if you have nowhere else to get items sent to, you’d better hope to be home and right next to the front door at the perfect time.

Good news is the packages are usually thrown so hard against the door that you can hear the thump. Just don’t wait too long.

42 Cowellian December 2, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Yeah, yeah, yeah, Miguel, it’s always the victim’s fault.

43 Support our cops! December 2, 2013 at 8:13 PM

If I were a clever police man like Ollie I would probably drive around in a $500 piece of crap with a light on the visor – ask the Fed Ex driver whos route is in an area of concern what time he will be passing by certain check points and wait for the parasites to reveal themselves. You dont have to catch them all…. Just enough of them to spread the word, thats not an easy score anymore! Thats just me though, maybe the stars and bars will see this… Keep up the good work fellas I know your swamped!

44 Anon December 2, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Since you saw the thief and your memory is still clear, perhaps you can contact your neighbors on your street and see if anyone had a camera shot of the guy. Maybe his vehicle or person was recorded walking/running down the street.
Hopefully! Then, you can BLAST it all over Claycord.

45 Keith December 2, 2013 at 8:17 PM

@ Happy—39

Signature required WORKS! You have to request if from the company you order from, not UPS, Fed Ex, etc.

UPS will put you on signature required, but it’s when packages are stolen, and they don’t want to lose any money. This can be overridden by the driver.

If you request SIGNATURE REQUIRED with the company your order from, the carrier can’t override the decision.

You don’t have to believe me. Good luck having your packages stolen.

46 Denise December 2, 2013 at 8:54 PM

This is getting old. If you can’t think outside the box and take precautions as to how not to have your package stolen from your porch, then nothing anyone can say on Claycord is going to get through to you.

When people try to give great advice, then you have the bleeding hearts whining that you’re “blaming the victim.”

These same idiots are leaving their wallets and packages in an unlocked vehicle, or a purse in their shopping cart, their doors and windows unlocked in their homes, etc.

Let’s just say common sense is a “learned behavior”, and if you miss the boat early on, it will never happen.

It’s not only sad, it’s pathetic.

47 Neal December 2, 2013 at 9:05 PM

@ Nom de Plume…….41

Signature required works. Like Keith said, you have to do it when you order from a company, not make the request from UPS, etc.

My wife and I both work full time, and our kids are grown. I have my packages delivered to my office, signature required. I sign for it myself, and it’s never a problem.

@ Cowellian….42. You’re stupid. But then again you live in the South where stupid people belong.

48 Steve December 2, 2013 at 9:13 PM

@Cowellian*****(42)

“Don’t be a victim, use caution and always have the package delivered to a trusted place where you know somebody will either sign for it right away or keep it until you arrive.”

Those were the Mayors words, not mine. Are you going to accuse him of blaming the victim, yeah, yeah, yeah, or are you going to WAKE THE F**K UP???

49 Lime Ridge December 2, 2013 at 9:30 PM

I am just terrified that somebody is going to steal the sweaters from LLBean that my auntie always sends me for xmas.

I think I will stay home from work so I can sit by the door and wait for the UPS man to deliver them in the next couple of weeks.

What would I do if somebody stole those sweaters? It’s too terrible to think about.

I refuse to be a victim!!!

50 Cowellian December 2, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Fed-Ex will lie, especially about a residential delivery. So far, I haven’t had a problem with UPS, but my favorite is the Postal Service. But then, my mail lady will come back at the end of her shift if she needs a signature, and I wasn’t here when she first tried to deliver it.

51 Julie December 2, 2013 at 9:43 PM

@ Lime Ridge-#49

In your case, there’s not much you can do about it if you didn’t order the package yourself.

My packages from relatives arrive between 12/20-12/23. If you’ve been on the job long enough, perhaps you’ll have those days off anyway.

Have fun sitting by the door. Be sure to sign for the package!

You might need those sweaters this week.

52 Dr. Jellyfinger December 2, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Cousin Botitus sent me a boxed dozen of Holiday Balut eggs around 10 days ago & still nothing on the porch. I bet I’ll never see that package.

53 @Keith December 2, 2013 at 9:57 PM

It’s great that you’re retired, unemployed, home schooled, or whatever that you can be home 99% of the time to sign for packages. Many of us don’t have that luxury. I get my packages delivered at work, but not everybody can do that, either. So get off your high horse.

54 Anon December 2, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Tina st*u. You and everyone who sit there and tell people not to be stupid and ignorant.

55 We better Watch out! December 2, 2013 at 10:06 PM

We live in the state streets and this morning one of our cars was vandalized, several items were stolen. We didn’t reported it to the police, but it wasn’t funny at all.

56 ap December 2, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Always report it and make a patrol request to let the police know what’s going on in the area.

57 Mar December 3, 2013 at 12:28 AM

It’s sounds like one of the Local Homeless guy that steals from us and also steals the recyclables.We caught one .He was sent to Jail a few weeks ago . This sound like the other one .Keep you eyes open And Please call .the Police. Maybe I will leave an empty box out by my door .See who shows up .

58 Sad December 3, 2013 at 1:35 AM

Keith you need to calm down! The holidays are happy times not sad times. I like donuts

59 GP December 3, 2013 at 7:49 AM

I live in the Delaware/states neighborhood as well. I have to say that I did not think I lived among other prideful Americans. I am happy to know that I am not the only one who is a proud gun owner who supports the second amendment unlike some people in out political system. Now I know if I avenge the druggies, that sit and do drugs at Highlands Park after sun down, I will have a small understanding group behind me. I go there with my daughters and I have on numerous times had to throw away there make shift bongs and on one occasion, I actually called Concord PD to have them pick up off the ground a used syringe. I am at the point I am considering to have these items DNA tested and file charges against the scum sucking sleaze bags.

60 The Mamba December 3, 2013 at 7:53 AM

I’m going to put an empty bait package out and keep a shotgun next to the door. If someone tries to steal it, I will blow their windows out.

61 Long hair? December 3, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Did the man who stole the package have long hair? If so, he matches the description of a homeless guy I see in the Bailey Road area. 40′s, long blonde hair, bald spot, dirty. He used to have a bike, but recently he’s been on foot.

62 Claire December 3, 2013 at 9:57 AM

@ Sad #58

Keith does not need to calm down. You need to wise up!

We all pay for stolen packages with higher rates through Fed Ex, UPS. They’re responsible when a package is stolen, and they pass the cost on to the customers.

I’m also sick of stolen packages when it can easily be avoided.

Theft will always happen, and you can’t stop if from happening. But you can certainly keep yourself from becoming a victim by using common sense and good judgment.

63 Common Sense December 3, 2013 at 10:43 AM

I’m all for the second amendment. But I’m not sure that shooting some petty criminal is the best choice for the use of deadly force. Is the cost of the goods being delivered worth being dragged through the court system and defending yourself on murder charges?

Just have it delivered to a commercial address if possible.

64 Carol December 3, 2013 at 12:06 PM

I used the online tracking a knew my package would be delivered while I was away. I asked a neighbor across the street to keep an eye out and pick it up. He told me later that he saw the UPS truck parked at my house (again, ACROSS the street) and he yelled to the driver “do you have a package for me?” The driver handed over the package to him – no questions asked! Didn’t ask for i.d. – the name on the package – nothing! My neighbor said he couldn’t believe the UPS could be so careless. No wonde packages are stolen.

65 @Claire December 3, 2013 at 3:03 PM

It may cost a few more cents for shipping if a few packages get stolen, but it costs me hundreds of dollars to stay home from work and wait for a packageall day. So, no “signature required” for me.

66 Nom de Plume December 3, 2013 at 8:59 PM

@Neal

I always instruct companies to require a signature, to no avail. Once the UPS man happily delivered a TV to my neighbor. UPS didn’t even bother to leave me a note and it was a couple of days before the neighbor even told me it was there.

67 Steve December 3, 2013 at 9:24 PM

You can pick your packages up at Fed Ex or UPS.

I work all day, and I don’t want my packages stolen off my porch. I pick them up myself after work.

Problem solved.

68 gman December 3, 2013 at 10:18 PM

I saw this guy today riding a bike down Olive Dr. from Kirker Pass Rd. towards Ayers Rd. I think he might be a local homeless man. Maybe one of the guys that lives under the bridge on Concord Blvd. near Baily or under Kirker Pass near Safeway.

69 Nom de Plume December 3, 2013 at 11:25 PM

@Steve

Have also requested packages to be held at FedEx. They were delivered to the house.

Apparently I can’t win. Luckily don’t live in the area anymore and where I am now people are more honest.

70 JRConcord December 4, 2013 at 6:20 AM

give me your adresses and i will start shipping boxes of used kitty litter to you for a small fee plus shipping and handling… :-)

71 Cracky McGee December 4, 2013 at 6:31 AM
72 Anon2000 December 4, 2013 at 1:56 PM

I have had a package stolen from my front porch once – refinance paperwork for me to sign. In other words, documents to make it a breeze to steal my identity. The bank said they never require signature when it’s going to a residential area.

Twice within the past year or so, I’ve had UPS deliver packages to my home, while I was home all day – no knock or bell rang. I used to work at UPS, so, I try to stand up for them when I hear bad talk, but facts are facts. I later found the packages outside of or on top of my back gate. No way of knowing it had been delivered until it falls off my gate onto me or I tripped over it later. USPS had options to track packages, but I’ve never had a deliver via USPS that was actually scanned and able to be tracked. Sad, but true.

I just have it delivered elsewhere (work or my retired parents house).

73 Concordian December 4, 2013 at 2:52 PM

So, like, TINA, what if you have a job? I GO TO WORK every day, not waiting around the UPS guy. How about put the blame on the CROOK? Here’s a thought people, teach your kids the difference between right and wrong and they wont grow up to steal packages off people’s porches!

74 Denise December 4, 2013 at 3:01 PM

If signature required doesn’t work for you, have it delivered to work (or another address where people will be home all day), or pick it up yourself.

This isn’t that difficult!