Man Robbed at the Concord BART Station After Responding to Ad on Craigslist

November 18, 2013 · 74 comments

A man was robbed at the Concord BART station on Friday night at about 10:30 after he responded to an advertisement on craigslist.

BART Police say after the man was robbed, he then went home and waited about 12-hours to report the crime:

The following information is from BART PD:

The victim reported that he responded to a craigslist ad for a car for sale. The victim took a bus to Vallejo and was picked up by the seller and an associate.

The victim was taken to a house in Vallejo to look at the car and he eventually decided not to buy the car.

The seller drove the victim to Concord Station because the victim said he needed to get to BART to get home. When the victim got out of the seller’s car in the passenger drop off zone, the seller pointed a black revolver at the victim and demanded his wallet and cell phone.

The suspects were described as:

1. Black male, 24 years old, 6′ tall, 200 pounds with tattoos on both forearms, wearing a black hooded sweatshirt and dark pants.
    2. White male in his late 20′s, 5’10″ tall, 200 pounds, wearing a black baseball cap with red trim, a black hooded sweatshirt and dark pants.

The victim went home after the crime and did not report it until Saturday morning.

No injuries were reported.

1 Frank L. November 18, 2013 at 10:42 AM

What an idiot! Letting a stranger off Craig’s list pick you up and take you to his house.

Buyer Beware! Don’t buy off Craig’s List! And don’t let a stranger pick you up.

It’s no surprise he got robbed.

2 Fred November 18, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Robbed, and no car, to boot. What was this guy thinking – and then not to report it for 12 hours? Stupid is as stupid does. Should have taken a friend with him.

3 The Mamba November 18, 2013 at 10:51 AM

So, he went to their house? Everyone involved sounds like menza candidates.

4 Scoop November 18, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Sounds a bit fishy — at the very least, the taking (even if by force) might be considered the collection of courtesy transportation fee?

5 marinemom November 18, 2013 at 10:58 AM

There’s no fix for STUPID

6 Sheltered Life November 18, 2013 at 11:01 AM

At this point would suspect, his naive trust in his fellow man is being reassessed.

7 The Closer November 18, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Two sketchy hoody wearing thugs pick you up and take you to a house? This story has more red flags than a May Day parade. Remember folks, “no good comes from under da hood”. Plus Craigslist sucks.

8 Girlfriend November 18, 2013 at 11:07 AM

That was a huge mistake getting into a car with someone you met on craigslist…he’s lucky he wasn’t killed.
Also…did the victim tell the police where they guy lived since he was taken there to look at the car?

9 Is this a Trend? November 18, 2013 at 11:13 AM

This victim is lucky to be alive! I have read that this happened a few months back in Boise, Idaho except that the victim was mudered for the contents of his wallet and pockets. He too had responded to an ad in Craigslist in the hopes of purchasing a car…I wonder if this was done by the same people…..

10 ThatGuy November 18, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Guess the phone was crap.

11 russ November 18, 2013 at 11:21 AM

I was also robbed. Robbed of the 30 seconds of my life that it took to read this completely b.s. story.

12 Pucky November 18, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Your comments are funnier than all hell. Thanks for the entertainment ♥ I Love Claycord…

13 Dorothy November 18, 2013 at 11:28 AM

12 hours to report? Robbed of money but allowed to keep cell phone? Bused over to see a car in Vallejo but taken to a BART afterwards? Then robbed in front of the BART station? (Very nice of the robbers to take him to the station before robbing him.) Why just report to BART police, why not the Vallejo police? No address for where he went in Vallejo? Pretty generic description of the guys too.

Yes, it may have happened that way but are there any casinos or card places along the way there and back that he may have lost the money at?

14 Down and Out November 18, 2013 at 11:29 AM

The Mamba: the correct term is “Mensa”, which is an organization for geniuses for people who don’t know. I am a member.

15 Lost and Happy November 18, 2013 at 11:29 AM

300 bucks for a car…. I am no detective, but why wait twelve hours to report that you had a gun pointed at you and you were robbed, instead, maybe the victim was trying to put in some dirty work and he got rolled instead.

16 ConcordMike November 18, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Sounds like he needed to come up with an excuse for why he lost $300.

17 WCMom November 18, 2013 at 11:34 AM

(sigh)…. still shaking my head…..

18 Trucker Bug November 18, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Um… They took him to their house?
Then they rob the guy?
So the victim now knows where you live.

The guy was going to buy a car, but he only had $300
Then at gunpoint he negotiates to keep his phone?

Is it April 1st already?

19 StoneyGRL November 18, 2013 at 11:39 AM

responding to # 9 … “is this a trend” ….
do you honestly think two black people in Boise killed a guy for the stuff in his wallet and then came to concord california and did the same crime but this time only took his wallet and let him keep his cell phone and his life. it’s not the same people. geeez. you’d be a terrible detective LOL!

i feel bad for the guy, but what kind of idiot gets in the car with strangers fora $300 car in VALLEJO!!!!!!!!!!!!! lucky to be alive … lucky the other dudes are still doin this sheet in Boise, ID

20 Mike November 18, 2013 at 11:45 AM

In the words of Mr. Red Foreman, “Dumbass”.

21 Lari November 18, 2013 at 11:48 AM

This is one of the kookiest stories I’ve read today. As @Fred wrote, what was this guy thinking??

22 Patty November 18, 2013 at 11:53 AM

So, you take a bus at 10:30 pm to Vallejo to buy a car?

23 J. November 18, 2013 at 11:56 AM

craigslist staff will provide the Authorities with the I.P.-address of the perp who ran the craigslist ad for the $300 car.

Plus, the vic went to the house in Vallejo.

And, now the case is on Claycord.com

Slam dunk to close this one out, and put the perps in shackles.

24 Jim November 18, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Yeah…this “story” has all the earmarks of a great comedy sketch…he knows their house, he went and saw a car somewhere else…and then he rode back her in their car?….and then he waits 12 hours?…so 2+2 in this case = 5?

25 Anon November 18, 2013 at 12:00 PM

I love Craigslist. I’ve had nothing but good experiences with it. Actually I just sold an item and the buyer just left.

26 Reflecting... November 18, 2013 at 12:03 PM

stupid is as stupid does.

27 anon November 18, 2013 at 12:06 PM

I guess it wasn’t really crack.

28 rage ricin November 18, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Reality: Victim bought $300 worth of dope. Seller decides to let him depart, but not without his dope back.

“Got the swag, kept the money. Job well done. That’s a fact. That is a fact.”

29 skuzman November 18, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Stupid is as stupid does, Forrest. SMH in utter disbelief.

30 mamatosix November 18, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Shocking! I would feel so safe meeting someone at BART to buy something with cash. Especially a perfect stranger.

31 Killjoy November 18, 2013 at 12:18 PM

As someone who is looking for a vehicle, and yes, I’m checking Craigslist, it seems to me that the price they are asking for used cars, even with 200,000 miles, is highway robbery in of itself.
I can see only bringing $300 cash to put down as a deposit, to hold a vehicle, and return with the rest of the cash after an agreement is reached.

Now as for this story, there are too many questions.
If he knows where they live, why not tell the police?
Why wait so long to call the police?

And yes, I am aware of MENSA, and who they are. ;)

32 no handle November 18, 2013 at 12:24 PM

You can’t fix stupid.

33 Jay R November 18, 2013 at 12:33 PM

This is such a feel good story. Let’s see:

“The victim was picked up by the seller and an associate.”..

Awwww…It’s nice of the would be robbers to pick him up.

“The victim was taken to a house in Vallejo to look at the car”..

They are so nice to show the victim their house. Very hospitable would be robbers.

“The seller drove the victim to Concord Station because the victim said he needed to get to BART to get home.”

The seller is a compassionate person for driving the victim from Vallejo all the way to Concord’s BART station. They didn’t rob the victim in Vallejo or any place along the way but at the Bart station where the victim can take the train home…awwww..

“The victim gave the seller $300 in cash from the wallet and was allowed to keep his phone.”

Awww how nice the victim was able to keep his phone.

This story is so unbelievably touching. I had tears running down my cheek while I was reading it.

34 Sam November 18, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Abiding by his civic duty, this victim posted the aforementioned incident, ie, alerting the rest of us, to always, “stay on our toes”, to the never ending perils in our comunittee.

35 Officer Barbrady November 18, 2013 at 12:35 PM

An owl in a sack bothers no one.

36 mika November 18, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Russ –Funny! I can garadamn-tee ya the story is B.S.

37 sue November 18, 2013 at 12:39 PM

I’m a woman and I know better than that. why would you get in the car with a couple of thugs? that’s like letting them rob you. I’m sure you knew it was coming at some point. but then you waited a whole days before you called the
Police.

38 slim November 18, 2013 at 12:42 PM

sounds like he wasted 300 at the casino and had to make something up to keep his wife form leaving his arse

39 Jake November 18, 2013 at 12:46 PM

He was going there to buy a 2013 Honda that had a slight issue with the registration.

40 tammy November 18, 2013 at 12:50 PM

what kid of car is worth $300–but, no matter, stupid is as stupid does, but why did he wait to call the police, they should have been there the moment it happened……hmmmm. He might have been picking up prostitutes.

41 BCuzItzClaycord November 18, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Craiglist & Vallejo……Says it all

42 The4thBore November 18, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Fish smells fishy story here.. CL deals should always be performed in well lit busy areas..

Regards,
Your favorite 4thBore

43 The Mamba November 18, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Killjoy, everything is way overpriced on Craigslist. Unlike Ebay, they are just trying to find one person out there willing to pay what they are asking or close to it.

44 Charrisa November 18, 2013 at 1:19 PM

A 300 dollar car–the possibility of that happening is nil. The things people get into these days.

45 Amazed November 18, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Umm..i have no words for this. Sounds like “victim” made this up.. should chech the pysc wards for missing persons!

46 @Slim November 18, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Yeah. The story is too stupid to believe otherwise.

47 Enfield303 November 18, 2013 at 1:36 PM

@Killjoy

What kind of car are you looking for?

48 Dorothy November 18, 2013 at 1:50 PM

@Jay R #33 – tears of laughter maybe?

49 AreYouSerious November 18, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Wow, cant teach stupid!

This story sounds fishy to me though. Doesn’t really add up. Unless this guy was really that stupid. Craigslist is great and I use it a lot but you have to have common sense but I guess that isn’t so common.

If I’m buying or selling I don’t just email and text, I like to talk to the person on the phone as well. That way you can get a feel for who they are. And I don’t go to the hood to buy anything. never had any problems and have always bought and sold to good people.

But really, everyone should use common sense when using cl as this sort of thing can happen. Just remember if its to good to be true it is.

50 Killjoy November 18, 2013 at 2:16 PM

@Enfield303
I’m looking for a Toyota Tacoma, extra cab (not crew cab) with A/C (my last little truck didn’t have A/C and I sold it, yes on Craigslist).
I’m still up in the air about which motor I want. 2.4, 2.7 or the V6.
Thinking seriously about the V6 so I have the power to get out of my own way.
But all the Tacoma’s on CL either have way too many miles on them (I don’t buy cars with 200,000 miles on them. I sell them) or they are so overpriced I can practically go buy a new one for just a couple thousand dollars more (seriously!).
If I want a stripped down with a 4cyl and a 5speed, I can get one brand new cheaper than on Craigslist.

51 really November 18, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Dumbass that’s what you get for taking rides from strangers on the Internet

52 Russ November 18, 2013 at 2:38 PM

@ Jake : LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLll

53 Michae November 18, 2013 at 2:51 PM

*** IF you or anyone you know plans to buy a car off Craigslist please Use Extreme Caution! Here are 7 helpful tips. ***

1. If a deal seems too good to be true it is! Do not try to justify to your self.
2. Never buy a car that is a Salvage Title, rebuilt title, lemon law buy back and all the other Grey Market Titles that exist or has been in a Major accident. They are never worth the troubles they will bring later!
3. Always get a CarFax history report before even going to see the vehicle. Many sellers will lie or may even have a clean California Title but the car was Salvaged in a different state! Just google search “washed title” to see how the scammers do it.
4. Always get your vehicle inspected by a mechanic or the dealer before purchasing. A $100 inspection can save you thousands in repairs.
4. To see if the car is priced correctly check the value of the car at KBB.COM and the seller should be asking Private Party Value for a private party transaction. Many times you will see many sellers asking dealer retail for a car because they think they can get that for their vehicle. The truth is Dealers can ask more because they fully service, detail, and warranty their vehicles. Also Dealers take care of all DMV transactions, Financing, warranty and service pkgs. Basically you will pay a little more but your paying for a better product and a service. Also you have a business to go back to for recourse if you have any problems. When you buy off of private party your have no legal recourse once you pay the seller. Your on your own!
5. Never Bring Cash. If you decide to buy someones car go to the bank and get a cashiers check together in the name that is on the title or the car only. Never to the seller unless title is in same name.
6. Make sure the vehicle your buying is in the sellers name. That is a clear indication that someone is trying to pull something. (there are times where someone is selling a car for a family member, dead relative etc. If so check the last names or legal proof they are selling car for estate). This is one of the most common indicators of something fishy is going on!
7. Go TO DMV together to make sure title transfer is complete. Many people just sign over the title and think they are done. 2 Years later they find out that same car is still registered in their name and has thousands of dollars of fines, toll violations, parking tickets etc. And at that point good luck getting a hold of the person off craigslist let alone them paying the penalties etc and your stuck paying those because DMV will suspend your drivers license.

*** Or instead of trying to save a couple hundred bucks you can just buy your next vehicle off of a licensed Dealership and avoid all these problems, risks, hassles and wasted time. Remember buying a car is probably one of the biggest purchases you will make in your life, besides buying a home. ***

54 Mr.T November 18, 2013 at 2:59 PM

I hate to say it but you had that one coming. Common sense not used here.

55 Uh-huh November 18, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Sounding pretty shady to me or he is a real dumbass

56 Killjoy November 18, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Great tips Michae (from Newell Auto Group).

The truck I sold, the guy brought cash. I would not have accepted a bank check as they are too easy to forge. Check craigslist about all the scams. We filled out the title (which was in my name) and also filled out the release of liability. I checked his drivers license and even snapped a photo of it before he took my truck for a test drive (I have since deleted it).
The next day, I personally filed the release of liability at AAA, to which they gave me a stamped copy to show it was filed.
Any accidents, tickets, toll evasions, etc are all on him.

57 Mark November 18, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Yeah right, that’s what really happened.

58 NO SENSE-NO FEELING November 18, 2013 at 4:15 PM

I have no doubt this story was made up to cover up what really happened. No one with a single brain cell is going to rob someone if the victim knows where they live. No one goes at 10:30 at night just to look at a car and than asks the seller to give him a ride to another city to catch BART. Especially since he doesn’t even purchase their car. And why would they allow him to keep his phone knowing he could use it to call the police right away and give them a description of the car they were in? The victim probably waited 12 hours to report the robbery so he could sober up before he contacted law enforcement.

59 My guess November 18, 2013 at 4:20 PM

My guess is the entire story is legitimate.

Except the ending. I bet our “victim” agreed to pay for the return ride and bridge fare…and then when he was getting out of the car back in Concord, he sort of changed his mind. That is until the “cab driver” collected the fare. And was there really a gun? Kind of double-dumb to commit a felony on someone after taking them to your own house.
And the 12 hour delay? That convinced me this just has to be 100% true!

60 J. November 18, 2013 at 4:30 PM

You can do a CA DMV release-of-liability online here:

61 Anon 2 November 18, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Still looking for my son’s Camaro 2002 Z28 SS. lic. 4UNL874.Stolen from Concord bart on Nov 9. I posted it on Claycord.com same day . but didn’t see post. Perhaps because I called the robbers “scumbags” is that bad?

62 Rlisenby November 18, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Sounds like a pot deal went bad and this was a made up story to avoid getting arrested for said deal going bad.

63 12GAUGE November 18, 2013 at 6:02 PM

@rage ricin
that’s exactly what happened haha that’s the first thing I thought.

64 No cashier's check November 18, 2013 at 6:34 PM

The only way I’d accept a cashier’s check is if I went to the bank with the buyer and the bank teller handed me the check personally. Otherwise, nothing but cash. And I expect the same when I’m the buyer.

Also, never trust a Carfax report. It may be a useful tool, but there are too many things that can happen and not show up on Carfax. Example: A guy wrecks his car and has no insurance. Fixes it himself with junkyard parts. Carfax has no idea.

BTW, some dealers (not saying all, or even most) are even less reputable than your average craigslist seller. And if a car is sold as-is, you have no more recourse from a shady dealer than you do from some stranger you met in a parking lot.

65 Mr. Pink November 18, 2013 at 6:47 PM

if true, the victim deserved to get robbed. Stoopid.

66 Sheila November 18, 2013 at 8:05 PM

I believe it probably happened. You here about it on the news. Armed robbery when a car is for sale on Craig’s List.

I’ve seen it in Oakland a few times.

Naïve victim and a crook. There are people that are that stupid. They’re told to show up with cash, which is a red flag.

67 Sheila November 18, 2013 at 9:35 PM

There are still a few people out there who are trusting and have not been burned. There are thugs and users and creeps who prey on those kind.
Don’t worry Karma bites badly!

68 Magic Mike November 18, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Teach me how to Dougie. Aye
Teach me how to Dougie

69 Mimi (original) November 19, 2013 at 12:43 AM

This is one of the biggest “fish stories” I’ve heard in a long time!

70 Mac November 19, 2013 at 8:17 AM

Ok. after raising my kids, and hearing their stories.
I know i don`t know anything about this, other then what was written in here.

But it sounds like some things were left out to protect the victim.
Like he was doing something he shouldn`t have been in the first place..
And it turned ugly on him.
And it took 12 hours to figure out the best way to tell the story.
Without putting himself in trouble.

Either that, or this person has no common sense at all

71 Up and Coming November 19, 2013 at 8:59 AM

DOWN & OUT…You’re a member of The Mensa Society and you’re reading and commenting on Claycord.com?
I’d say that chances are much better that you’re the Kingpin of this genius filled crime syndicate, El Dumbasso, with charters in Vallejo and Concord.
Quick, turn yourselves in before you hurt yourselves!!

72 Anon November 19, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Uh, never get into any stranger’s car, right? Glad the guy’s okay. As for Craigslist, I’ve sold so many things on Craigslist over the years, but you have to be careful. I’ve noticed that WHAT you sell makes a difference as to who is going to show up. Selling baby and kid things, office furniture, and kitchen appliances, typically means that really nice, honest people are going to show up. You can always meet in a public place. I’ve found a lot of scammers on Craigslist trying to get you to wire them money or put down a deposit on a rental. Just check everything out and use your gut instinct before actually meeting up with someone.

73 Julie November 19, 2013 at 10:22 AM

I also believe this happened.

I think he waited 12 hours because he was shocked or embarrassed.

Granted, he doesn’t have any common sense. Armed robbery car sales on Craig’s List hit the 10pm news, because they’re usually in Oakland.

74 Nice Nancy November 19, 2013 at 5:31 PM

And that’s why I no longer buy, sell or give away freebies on Craigslist. Too many robberies, rapes and yes, murders from the wackadoodles who are allowed to shop for victims on that site.