Great American Smokeout in CoCo County – Free Lung Screenings & Tobacco Cessation Education

November 18, 2013 · 13 comments

WHAT: Contra Costa Health Services (CCHS) will be offering free lung screenings and tobacco cessation education this week as part of the annual Great American Smokeout. The lung screenings or “spirometry” tests provide quick results and can detect the early onset of lung disease.

The Great American Smokeout, a national event started by the American Cancer Society nearly 40 years ago, encourages smokers to quit for at least 24 hours and make a plan to quit permanently.

WHO: Anyone who wants to quit smoking is welcome.

WHEN: 10 a.m. – 3 p.m., Nov. 19-22

WHERE: Lung screenings and tobacco cessation education will be offered at the Martinez Health Center, Pittsburg Health Center and the West County Health Center in San Pablo.

WHY: Tobacco use is the leading preventable cause of death in the United States. The Great American Smokeout helps smokers take an important first step toward leading longer, healthier lives.

For more information about the Great American Smokeout, please visit cancer.org/smokeout. To find addresses for the Health Centers, visit cchealth.org/centers-clinics

1 J. November 18, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Smokers suck.

2 I don't smoke cigarettes but when I do November 18, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Its on one of those All American stop smoking days. I can put away a couple of packs at least. Pipes and cigars as well.

Its not that I particularly like smoking, its the government mandated way people are coerced into stopping smoking.

So when these government agencies tell everyone to stop doing something, that’s exactly what I go out and do!

3 @I don't smoke cigs, #2 November 18, 2013 at 6:47 PM

You remind me of a rebellious child, who, when told not to do something, says he will do it anyway.

4 Joan VanSnark November 18, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Wow. That really makes you cool.

5 Dennis November 18, 2013 at 6:59 PM

wait … smoking kills more than prescription drug abuse, illegal drug ODs, suicide, and guns (in inner cities)?

wow. who’d’a thunk it?

and how does the gov spend money to cure the problem? they buy PR slogans and advertising.

sorta like putting up signs saying “wash your hands” to stop the spread of an epidemic.

sorry, I gotta go with poster #2: CoCo just outlawed e-cigarettes because they “look like” cigarettes. Without the tars or cancer risks, but hey! let’s not quibble.

just another restriction by those who claim it is “for the greater good”.

and then they get sloshed and drive home, txting all the way, proud of the lives they claim to have saved.

6 unknown November 18, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Smoking kills 1 in 5. Seems like a good reason to stop smoking.

7 Ummmmm November 18, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Can #2 and #5 get free mental health screenings?

8 Always Right November 18, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Hopefully they soon will include awareness of the evils of Marijuana smoking in programs for smoking cessation. Marijuana has as much or more cancer causing agents than cigarettes.

I understand some people say marijuana helps them with their cancer treatment symptoms – but those without cancer should think about the consequences first before they light up.

9 Just me November 18, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Dying from lung cancer or emphysema is a horrible way to die. Be smart, if you smoke get help to quit. If you don’t smoke, be even smarter and don’t even try it.

10 Dennis November 18, 2013 at 10:30 PM

quitting smoking is the healthy choice.
when the government demands that you can’t buy a large soda (but can buy 2 medium ones), or demands you stop doing drive-thru fast food places, making those choices on your behalf …
it is the age old game of tyranny and control, disguised by their claim that they are doing good.
next they will tell you that you need permission to have a fire in your own fireplace, or fire up the BBQ.
oh wait … they already do that ….

11 babytruck November 18, 2013 at 10:48 PM

I was smoking 1 pack per day for several years. I hated the feeling of being dependent so I did the Great American Smokeout. It was hard but I made it through the day. So for ME, I had another smokeless day. Still tough but since I made it through that, I was going for day three.

Haven’t smoked since. That was in 2001. :)

12 Anonymous November 19, 2013 at 8:54 AM

The thing is, the public is paying the price for all the smokers in the form of higher insurance premiums to cover their medical bills, disability payments, and so on. So, the Government should do something about the problem.

Unfortunately, the Government puts measures on the ballot to increase the taxes on cigarettes but doesn’t put that extra tax revenue into the health system where it belongs.

13 Dennis November 19, 2013 at 2:21 PM

@anonymous the public isn’t paying the price. That is just the excuse given to collect taxes. Gas, booze, tobacco prices are primarily taxes. And let’s not forget the CRV on recyclables. You pay tax to cover recycling, but you also pay for garbage collection.
there is a tenuous link at best between the excuse and the tax … which all goes into the general fund for politicians to spend on their favorite programs. That would be programs that get them votes.