Barnes & Noble in Pleasant Hill Getting Ready for Permanent Closure

November 4, 2013 9:30 am · 47 comments

barnes

As we first reported in September, Barnes & Noble, located in the Pleasant Hill Shopping Center on Contra Costa Blvd. in Pleasant Hill, is closing.

According to one Claycordian, the store is already starting to get ready for the permanent closure, “I was at Barnes & Noble in Pleasant Hill yesterday and noticed some markdowns already….30%. Just *some* things are marked down….all the discount books, calendars, holiday stuff. Sign says no returns which is a sure sign of a store going out of business. I hate this, but at the same time, I’m probably going to load up on some books. *sigh* I’ll miss the place.”

Jennifer Smith with Regency Centers says “The Barnes & Noble lease expires in January and we have signed a new lease with HomeGoods”.

HomeGoods is a home furnishings store, according to their website. They are owned by the same company as T.J. Maxx and Marshalls.

{ 47 comments }

1 Walnut Creek Resident November 4, 2013 at 8:05 AM

This is very unfortunate but maybe HomeGoods will be what we all need?

2 Molon Labe November 4, 2013 at 9:33 AM

replace the printed word with cheap goods from china? sigh…

3 Cowellian November 4, 2013 at 9:40 AM

It’s just like what happened to the video business. First, the Mom & Pop stores were run out of business by the big chain stores. The big chain stores were replaced by online stores. And the online stores are losing market to online streaming services.

I always like Clayton Books. The people who owned it were great people, and I liked their staff, and enjoyed their special events. I think that independent retailers that find a niche can still succeed.

4 anon November 4, 2013 at 9:45 AM

we already got rid of Borders, now we’re getting rid of Barnes & Nobel? It’s just sad. & I can already imagine what stupid thing it’ll be replaced with…

5 Max November 4, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Barnes & Noble (and Borders) didn’t seem to mind running the independent book stores out of business, so I can’t feel sorry for them when they suffer the same fate at the hands of Amazon.

6 anon November 4, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Oh Max how true! Let’s hope we get an independent store in PH soon!
I love 1/2 Price Books, but when new books come out we need somewhere to go.

7 Anon November 4, 2013 at 10:00 AM

@ #5- exactly – what goes around comes around. I’m looking forward to HomeGoods.

8 epuggly November 4, 2013 at 10:11 AM

I do all my book shopping at Berkshire Books on Clayton rd. across from the Goodwill. My teenagers and I get all our book needs met there. We love the small family run business. I haven’t used Barnes in years.

9 We did it November 4, 2013 at 10:13 AM

I only shopped there during Christmas time. And usually for the cheap stuff. I enjoyed the vibe, but apparently not enough to spend money. It’s not a charity or utility. Sorry to see it go, but it died by our hands.

10 Wayne Landana November 4, 2013 at 10:14 AM

I have to say, Amazon.com is so much better than chain bookstore like Barnes & Noble or Boarders. Greater selection, better service (you don’t have to deal with rude customer service people), and lower prices. I do support traditional independent booksellers like Clayton Books, but for new releases and bestsellers, leave that to Amazon.

11 Tree Farm November 4, 2013 at 10:21 AM

I thought it had been announced they were just changing locations?

12 Rob November 4, 2013 at 10:21 AM

I do purchase books from a couple of local independent bookstores even though they charge more than Amazon because I enjoy the book browsing experience and if I and others don’t purchase from them they will go out of business and I only buy from Amazon when they don’t carry and can’t really order the books I want.

However, for the chain bookstores they moved in pre-Amazon and helped drive many local bookstores out of business and these chain stores are now just being replaced by Amazon and I just don’t have the same care factor for the large chains as I do for the local independent bookstores.

13 Lorelei November 4, 2013 at 10:22 AM

I hope the one in Walnut Creek stays.

14 Mr. Pink November 4, 2013 at 10:26 AM

I guess as much as I’m unhappy about it, Max’s words ring pretty true. The big guys had no problem putting the little guys out of business so we shouldn’t feel too sorry for them when it comes back around. That being said, I LIKE book stores, and I’m sorry to see yet another one write “the end.” Eventually we won’t have any brick/mortar stores any longer and all of our shopping will be done online. Just one more reason to never leave the house.

15 Dorothy November 4, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Don’t think we really need another home/clothing store. So all we have left are the used book stores? I really miss the ability the browse through a real book store and more often than not, get more books than what I looking for.

Only part of the problem is the on-line stores. More than once I’ve gone into a brick & mortar store for something only to find they stopped selling the items I would buy there so I had to go on-line to find them. I try not to go on-line for anything I can get at the brick/mortar stores.

16 Mrs. M. November 4, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Echo Max!

17 TMB November 4, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Great news!! Can’t wait until they are gone. Good riddance. This is what they get for treating their best customers like garbage.

18 itsme November 4, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I’m so sorry to see B&N close. Are they moving somewhere else? I wonder if the Walnut Creek store is going to close as well. I don’t like the thought of going over there with the traffic! I am glad however that Home Goods is coming here. I thought The Willows would be a good spot for it.

19 Olivia November 4, 2013 at 10:59 AM

I hate to see Barnes and Nobles close, but the one in Walnut Creek will still remain open, I didn’t hear they were changing locations just shutting down the ph store. I don’t think another ‘home’ store is needed, there is cost plus and many home stores that can cost you an arm and a leg.

20 The Mamba November 4, 2013 at 11:05 AM

I’m pretty excited that I won’t have to ride along with my wife to Home Goods in Moraga any more. But I personally am looking forward to Dick’s. I love Dick’s.

21 Love My City! November 4, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Really unhappy to see another bookstore close, especially to be replaced by a store that carries nothing but cheap, foreign-made junk. I won’t be spending any money there!
I will miss browsing and shopping with the grandkids at B&N…that is always their first requested stop whenever they visit. There is an experience to be had in a bricks and mortar bookstore that cannot be replicated online. Sad to say, this doesn’t seem like progress.

22 Jackson Hammer November 4, 2013 at 11:56 AM

It disgusts me to see so many people celebrating another crappy furnature store. As if the 20 in the area weren’t enough. Meanwhile another nail in the coffin for culture and education has been hammered in. Enjoy your cheaply made Chinese crap.

23 Cowellian November 4, 2013 at 12:10 PM

It’s your own fault Jackson for not buying enough books.

24 Kimbo November 4, 2013 at 12:35 PM

NOOOO!!! I am so bummed out! What are we gonna do?! I personally like going into a brick and mortar store and not shopping online. That really bites.

25 mutts November 4, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Loved to go in and just get the aroma of new books. Home Goods is OK if you need more stuff, I sure don’t.

26 NutCreek Frontier November 4, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Getting harder and harder to buy a book; it is not as convenient to “browse” books on a website. Am praying that the B & N in Walnut Creek isn’t going out of business too. Makes it more difficult for parents to instill a love of reading in kids when you don’t have a brick and mortar bookstore with all the exciting books.

27 Claycordite November 4, 2013 at 2:13 PM

@13 I was told by a clerk at the PH store last week that they are closing 12/31 and the WC store is staying . At least we have that one. I expected to see more on sale than they had. Probably December will see more price reductions. Thankfully I was able to find what I went for.

28 Jess November 4, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Yes, I’m sorry to see it close, but I have to admit I haven’t been to B&N in a long time. If I want to buy a physical book – usually a reference book, I get it from Amazon. They have a bigger selection, lower prices, and it’s convenient. If I’m looking for a novel to read, I’ll download it to my Kindle. Or I’ll visit the library. I grew up with parents that loved to read, but I don’t remember visiting bookstores as a child. We borrowed books from the library. We went every week or so and I always came home with a a nice stack.

I’m looking forward to the HomeGoods.

29 RanchgirlCA November 4, 2013 at 3:41 PM

I do agree that this seems like a bit of Karma for the big book stores who ran the Mom & Pop shops out of business. I for one, look forward to a local HomeGoods store, rather than waiting until I find one out of town and shopping there.

30 ChampagneKitty November 4, 2013 at 4:08 PM

The last time I was in that store was a number of years ago to buy a book for someone as a gift. Most of the books I buy are used.

31 Frustrated November 4, 2013 at 6:00 PM

I’m disappointed. There is something to be said about the atmosphere of a book store and tasking your children to enjoy the store as well. One day we my one to regret doing everything online and losing interpersonal relationships

32 Frustrated November 4, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Should have said “taking” your kids to the bookstore

33 Frustrated November 4, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Wow. I really messed up the first message. Sorry! It has been a long day

Should have said one day we may regret……..

34 Zam November 4, 2013 at 6:56 PM

As much as I love and support independent book stores (yay Half Priced Books), I love the social model that B&N uses. It is a community gathering place, as they have a café, free Wi-Fi, and places to sit and read. I completed the majority of my graduate studies writing from a B&N café- it’s not quite the same as a Starbucks.

35 Mr. Pink November 4, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Nowadays, I actually get most of my books from Paperback Swap. If you’re not concerned with first editions or hardbacks and just want to find good books to read, check it out.

36 Athena November 4, 2013 at 8:33 PM

They paved paradise and put up a parking lot!

37 ChampagneKitty November 4, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Hi Mr. Pink! Thank you for the link; I didn’t know about this one. Here are some others I know about:

Does anyone have any more to add?

38 Sassy mommy November 4, 2013 at 8:54 PM

I’m just curious. What constitutes putting someone else out if business? Is that not what a free market does? I think it’s inaccurate to say Barnes&Noble ever put anyone out if business. They simply served the needs at the appropriate time c

39 Atticus Thraxx November 4, 2013 at 9:04 PM

I’m with you #31, this sucks.

40 MeanGeezer November 4, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Marshall’s left that shopping center, Ross took its place and now a store owned by Marshall’s is going to be a few doors down from Ross? Home Goods essentially sells the same cheap sh!t that Ross sells, except they don’t sell clothes. How did this get approved? Better yet WHY?

41 Mom November 4, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Did they actually go out of business or just lose their lease? Related perhaps but not synonymous.

42 Cowellian November 4, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Good point, Sassy Mommy. The Mom & Pop stores were put out of business because not enough people would spend money there any more.

While many people talk about how much they like the independent retailers, when it’s time to actually make purchases, a lot of people spend their money where they get better selections and lower prices.

I wonder how many of us have gone into a retail store to check out an item, and then gone home to order that same item from Amazon, eBay, etc. I’m betting that quite a few of us have, because a lot of merchants, including Sears, Penney’s, and Best Buy, are fighting to survive.

43 Teacher Wannabe November 4, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Just freakin’ great! Already 2 Ross and a Marshall within a stones throw of one another. Yeah, what we really need, another store to sell tired a$$ stuff nobody wanted the first time around. Now there are no bookstores around except 1/2 price books (great, but no coffee) and B&N Walnut creek (no parking).

44 ChampagneKitty November 4, 2013 at 11:48 PM

to Teacher Wannabe: Actually, we also have Berkshire Books on Clayton Rd. in Concord, which is the city’s only remaining independent book store (Half-Price Books is a chain). Shoot, even the chains are slowly disappearing…

45 dinkydau November 5, 2013 at 6:29 AM

Another Ross or Marshall type store selling furniture? Will it be Made in China Walmart type stuff for new apt. dwellers freshly moved out of the house they grew up in?

46 macawlady November 5, 2013 at 8:48 AM

From what I understand, the store is not moving to another location. It will be closed permanently. Also, not all books are marked down….just SOME. Books in the “stacks” are not marked down yet (and may never be, since they might simply be sent to other stores.) I don’t work there, just have had lots of retail experience in my 50+ years. :) Still, lots of good deals to be had, I imagine. I noticed the stuffed animals in the kid’s section were marked down. Also, all Christmas merch is 30% off.

Sorry to see brick-and-mortar bookstores go the way of the dodo. I suppose it’s inevitable.

47 so sad November 5, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Didn’t Alan Jackson have a song about “The Little Man” ? All the mom & pop stores that were run out by chains. Guess what goes around, comes around. Personally, I like the library experience! Don’t have to spend money, get the same reading pleasure!