UPDATE: Vehicle -vs- Motorcycle on Treat Blvd. Near Clayton Rd. in Concord

October 30, 2013 8:27 am · 24 comments

A motorcyclist has been injured after a crash on Treat Blvd. near Clayton Rd. in Concord.

The crash occurred at about 8:20am, and the motorcyclist is down on the ground, according to witnesses.

Police & fire are on their way to the scene.

This crash occurred right in front of the Treat Plaza shopping center.

UPDATE, 8:34am: No life-threatening injuries were reported.

1 Julie October 30, 2013 at 8:38 AM

I hope he’s ok.

2 John October 30, 2013 at 8:48 AM

This reminds me about the guy that got hit in Clayton by that drunk woman. Anyone know how he’s doing?

3 CLAYCORD.com October 30, 2013 at 8:53 AM

John, thanks for asking. From what I’ve heard, he’s recovering, but he’s still nowhere near the condition he was in before the crash.

4 Mac October 30, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Bummer….i hope this rider is OK
It was a bit chilly riding to work this morning at 5:25.
I hope this guy had clear glasses on.
Sun Glasses are not good before sun raise. (but awesome after)

I had a car almost run me down from behind this morning, switching lanes.
I thought it was going to hit my tail light. (and i was in the far right lane)

Again…i hope this rider is Ok

5 Stella October 30, 2013 at 10:19 AM

I really hate this–are there any updates on this? Is the cycleist alright?

6 Babs October 30, 2013 at 10:24 AM

I was there at about 840am and didn’t see anything. But as usual I almost got hit crossing Denkinger at Concord Blvd…two signs that say people going straight have the right-away and still idiots turning left onto Concord Blvd keep violating the signs and I have to slam on my brakes to not get hit.

7 alex October 30, 2013 at 10:50 AM

wow i made it to the news 😉

it was me that crashed – woman made a left turn right in front of me pretty much i didnt even have time to think it happened so fast.

still wondering if i should see a doctor because i have no insurance

8 Krogs October 30, 2013 at 11:40 AM

I went by just as it happened. I didn’t see it happen, but saw that the motorcycle is totaled, and there was damage to the front end of the car, which was facing backwards. A few people were helping the cyclist up and to the curb. He was dazed and wobbly. Poor guy. Hope he is ok. No police there yet, but did see the ambulance on its way when I got further down Treat.

9 Krogs October 30, 2013 at 11:40 AM

#7 Alex – Dude – you were pale and wobbly. You should see a doctor.

10 Sue October 30, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Alex, check your motorcycle insurance- ask your agent if you have “med pay” attached to your policy? I would see a doctor anyway because the woman turning left is at fault and if all else fails, her insurance (assuming she has it) will pay! Take care of yourself!

11 rich October 30, 2013 at 1:42 PM

The number one lane on Clayton Road was backed up from TREAT East past K-Mart at 8:20- Glad the no serious injuries…

12 sue October 30, 2013 at 3:11 PM

yes you need to go see a doctor, did you get the info from the woman who hit you?

13 Judge Roy Bean October 30, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Traffic on Treat west bound..was bad already at 7:15 Lights out at Navarone and Treat Back-up was already to Wilson. West bound was still bad at 8am as lights were still out as I was heading back east bound Treat.
Hope MC rider is OK.

14 ToAlex October 30, 2013 at 3:23 PM

@ Alex

Glad you are ok. I hope you go and see a Dr just to get checked out and make sure you really are ok. Even if you don’t have insurance, go anyway. I use to go to the Dr. without insurance. Do go and get checked out!

Also, the person who hit you must have insurance. They should cover your costs. Better safe than sorry. Sometimes you don’t feel the pain until the next day. Be safe out there.

15 Anon2you October 30, 2013 at 4:16 PM

@Alex – Go t the doctor…It should be covered by your motorcycle insurance, or her car insurance. Worse case, you sign up for Obama Care, haven’t you heard we all get insurance now!

16 Arm Chair Quarterback October 30, 2013 at 4:55 PM

@Sue,

There was not enough information given to determine who is at fault in the collision. There are many scenarios where the vehicle turning left does have the right of way.

Let Alex give all the information or have him provide the police report and we can discuss it in perpetuum.

17 Chris October 30, 2013 at 6:10 PM

@ Arm Chair QB,

She should be found at fault: According to Alex (in another forum) she was traveling in the same direction he was. He said she turned left in front of him in an attempt to cross 3 lanes of traffic. If she was perpendicular to the flow of traffic, that constitutes a left turn, not a “lane change”.

See a doctor Alex.

18 alex October 30, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Hello everyone. Went to ER – i am ok. They did xray and seems like im just bruised up a little bit and back is sore. But otherwise im OK! and that is what matters.

Woman was traveling OPPOSITE direction. traffic was so slow/stopped that she decided to make a left turn to cross all 3 lanes to get into shopping area.

I honestly believe its her fault because i was going only about 10 mph and SHE decided to make that turn while it was NOT safe to make. She pretty much relied on all 3 lanes of traffic to let her cross.

Feel bad for my motorcycle because it was 2012 almost brand new.

19 Mac October 31, 2013 at 7:07 AM

Alex…Glad to hear you are doing OK.
Hopefully that lady will be buying you a new motorcycle soon.
Bikes can be replaced, you can`t.

Feels good to hear a guy making it thru this.
The rest of us motorcycle riders around here have a smile on our face today.

20 The Biz October 31, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Were you lane splitting when she did this? I think it’s her fault regardless, but would be interesting to know.

21 Anthony October 31, 2013 at 11:52 AM

YES! it is definitely the driver’s fault for unsafe lane change. Most drivers out there either:
– don’t signal when lane changing
– signals but do not look at blind spot
– signals but 1 microsecond after turning signals…moves to the lane
– does not care about riders

22 Gnar October 31, 2013 at 11:55 AM

I wanna punch driver’s face when this crap happens.

23 Eddie October 31, 2013 at 6:07 PM

If I understand correctly, Alex, you were splitting lanes in stop-and-go traffic. Nothing wrong with that; I do it all the time.

On this divided road, you came to a left-turn pocket where the oncoming vehicle could turn into a parking lot on your right. Other traffic moving in your direction had left the roadway clear to accommodate the left-turner, and she began her turn.

However, your position in the lane-splitting corridor between lanes made it impossible for her to see you. You emerged into “no-man’s land” just as she was turning, and the two of you collided.

Is that a reasonably accurate description?

I’m glad to hear that you made it without serious injuries, but I’m sorry to hear about the condition of your motorcycle. I hope you can get it fixed or replaced and resume riding soon.

For other lane-splitters: In city traffic, your protection from turning vehicles comes from lanes of bumper-to-bumper traffic on each side. When you overrun that line of defense, you’re exposed to cross-traffic threats, and extreme caution is required.

24 @Eddie November 1, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Yes Eddie i believe thats what happened.

oh and police found ME at fault. apparently she had the right of way. Because she did not see me its makes it ok. thats the law

i guess the only good thing out of this mess is that i didnt die.