Thief Steals Picture from Front Porch of Home – Victim Warns Others to be Careful

October 30, 2013 8:30 am · 37 comments

As we’ve all heard in the past, you can’t leave anything out in the open without somebody stealing it, no matter where you live.

Here’s an email from a concerned Claycordian who wants to remind you, it can happen to anybody….

I wanted to bring to your attention something that happened to us.

A friend of mine decided to buy something from me and I told them I would leave it on our porch, which is common practice for transactions.

We live in a very quiet neighborhood off of Claycord Avenue in Concord. I put the framed picture of the Golden Gate Bridge on our porch. Sometime between Sunday night and Monday afternoon somebody stole it.

Before people say we are, “stupid,” and, “what do you expect,” please know that I am not writing this to hear your comments. Fine, perhaps I shouldn’t have left my $10 framed picture on the porch.

I am however notifying people to be careful, no matter how quiet of a street you live on. There are always dirtbags amongst us, clearly.

Thank you for the email, and thanks for being concerned for others. We’re sorry to hear about the theft.

Julie October 30, 2013 at 8:37 AM

I’m story to hear her picture was stolen, and, yes, it is a reminder not to leave ANYTHING IN SIGHT, whether it be your home, your car, etc.

Hopefully, nothing will be left on the porch from now on.

furian October 30, 2013 at 9:06 AM

It’s so ridiculous people just can’t leave people alone.

With the holidays coming, I’m sure the package thefts will skyrocket.

Mac October 30, 2013 at 9:20 AM

I know you didn`t want to hear it.
But then we don`t want to hear people complaining when things are missing after they leave them outside.
Because you don`t live in Mayberry.
And this is not 1965

There is a reason that we don`t leave our milk on the porch anymore.
It`s call “common sense”

rusty nail October 30, 2013 at 9:32 AM

One night I heard a metal “clang”
coming from the front porch late
one night. It could have only been
someone trying to take the wood
and metal bench there. The metal
could have been recycled for some
money. I moved it to the backyard.

The neighbor once got up one
morning to discover someone had
stolen the bumper from his truck.
None of us had heard anything the
night before and, certainly, this
isn’t the type of neighborhood where
you’d expect something like that to
happen.

If it’s not nailed down, someone will
take it … and sometimes even if it is.

JW October 30, 2013 at 9:38 AM

We have had shoes stolen from our front porch. Almost caught the guy once. Itreally makes me mad that people have no respect for eachother. Hard times or not, wrong is wrong.

The Mamba October 30, 2013 at 9:45 AM

There’s a Claycord Avenue? Awesome. I bet there’s an Olive Garden and Corn Snake Rehabilitation center there.

I wonder if October 30, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Wonder if someone from those recycle/donation trucks that are always collecting for a charity (we get notices of a truck going to be on our street on such a day all the time in the mail) picked it up thinking it was for a donation? Yes, they are only supposed to pick up things left out with the mailer card attached but they aren’t always the brightest. Or maybe a neighbor thought you were going to junk it for donation and helped themselves to it? I just doubt someone would risk a theft charge walking down the street with a random picture in their hands that they just stole off a porch. Just sayin’

claycordian October 30, 2013 at 9:56 AM

On Monday, as I turned onto Claycord from Clayton, I saw two homeless guys riding down Claycord towards Clayton Road. Casing the neighborhood? Beware, neighbors!

Pucky October 30, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Thanks for posting this, I am one who appreciates your effort to communicate a “Happening”. It’s a bummer, but does unfortunately happen all too often now-a-days..

NoMoreFreeRide October 30, 2013 at 10:10 AM

It’s a reminder of the world we live in today! It wasn’t like this when I was a kid. People used to be respectful of other peoples property and of their persons. Unfortunately the world has changed but not for the better.

Pyrrhus October 30, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Also, expect home burglaries to go up soon. I had my house broken into in December before the holidays. All they did was pry open a back window. If you have windows that slide left to right or right to left put dowels to block the window. Get an alarm system if you can afford it and put the stickers and signs where any would be thief can easily see. If you can’t afford an alarm system just can buy the signage for ADT on ebay. Also, think about putting a lock on your back gate.Also be sure to close your curtains before you leave the house, that way the thief can’t see what he could possibly steal.

If a criminal really wants to get in your house he will. The trick is to make your house not worth the hassle when other houses are easier to break into.

Connie Dobbs October 30, 2013 at 10:38 AM

So the link was just to show us your closed group?

Dorothy October 30, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Amazing how quickly and quietly thieves can be. I never leave anything out front that I would miss if stolen. Had a very nice set of solar lights that disappeared – lesson learned.

Anon777 October 30, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Thanks to writer. I live off Claycord Ave also and I’m always surprised by the lack of crime in our neighborhood when I’m reading all the crap that happens all over Claycord. It’s a pretty sad world we live in and it’s only going to get worse as the holidays get near.

Connie Dobbs: Most groups like this are closed. All you have to do is click the request to JOIN GROUP button.

Mossy October 30, 2013 at 11:10 AM

@Connie you have to be added to the group, it is a safe site where most of us buy/trade/sell things. This is why it is a closed group, so people just watching can’t come and steal things that we have arranged to be sold.

@NoMoreFree Ride October 30, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Yeah,, well back when you were a kid, racism was tolerated, pedophiles were more likely to get away with their sick lifestyles (cause people would turn a blind eye), and hitting woman and children was acceptable. So don’t give us the whole “things were better back then” speech… Not true #don’twanttohearit

@Mac October 30, 2013 at 11:42 AM

There’s always one in the bunch….

I don’t think this was a matter of someone complaining. Like they said, they were just notifying people…. Lighten up.

Claycord Neighbor October 30, 2013 at 11:48 AM

It’s a nice quiet neighborhood, but the number of homeless people in the area has increased. They camp out in the creek bed that runs behind the houses on Claycord Ave, particularly under the bridge where it crosses Concord Blvd. I see them riding their bikes through the neighborhood. There are a few houses that they visit for ????? They look fairly harmless, but I assume they are tweekers or drunks who will steal if they need a few bucks.

applejack October 30, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Maybe someone thought it was free???

Anon October 30, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Sorry to hear this. I live nearby and I have always felt safe and secure in this quiet neighborhood. Guess it’s a sign of the times and a lesson learned.

Claycord Neighbor October 30, 2013 at 11:57 AM

NoMoreFreeRide, no, things weren’t really any better when you were a kid. There has always been crime. You just didn’t know about it when you were a kid.

You should know October 30, 2013 at 12:00 PM

I live off Claycord as well and there is something going on down by the Brazil Quarry Park behind the creek in the bushes.There has been a lot of activity coming and going with shady looking people. They don’t appear to be homeless more like thugs. There is no outlet through there just homes that back up to creek.

Anon October 30, 2013 at 12:31 PM

@Mac #3
You sound like my ex-husband’s wife. Running your mouth off for a reaction and to simply piss off people (and you succeeded)….even after the victim made mention that it was simply an FYI posting – you still had to go there.

May you never be a victim but something tells me karma will catch up with you sooner than later.

Reality Slap October 30, 2013 at 12:45 PM

We are now in a world where the “this isn’t that kind of neighborhood” no longer exists; there is a greater and greater presence of thieves, liars and low-lifes. The saddest part is these very individuals are part of the neighborhoods they perpetrate these crimes on, respect for anything has been replaced with pure greed. The adage of prepare for the worst and hope for the best has become a rule to live by.

Antler October 30, 2013 at 12:50 PM

You did not state that your friend definitely did NOT pick up the picture Could it be he picked up the picture; but you were not home for him to give you payment, so he’s waiting to hear from you? Wild chance ….. but maybe?

Cassandra October 30, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Sadly, this happens everywhere. Hopefully, a lesson was learned, and theft on her porch won’t happen again.

Gilbert October 30, 2013 at 1:35 PM

It was my picture. Thanks all for the support. Well accept for Mac. He sounded angry. Just wanted to let people know to be careful.
@antler good suggestion but I emailed the person whom I knew and nope, they never picked it up.

Elwood October 30, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Tweakers will steal the pennies off a dead man’s eyes.

Skeptic October 30, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Sorry this happened and thanks for the warning. I had neighbors who had half the branches sawed off their beautiful Japanese Maple in their front yard one night. This was in a nice old neighborhood in Oakland where we all knew and looked out for each other. People will literally steal the branches off your trees. I’d say live and learn, but it’s still a mystery to me.

foonman October 30, 2013 at 3:51 PM

I pulled over on Live Oak street off Concord Blvd to take a cell call. While sitting there a 25-30ish young man on a bicycle was riding by very slowly
looking at everyones yard closely. When he saw me he sped up and went
off down the street. Probably inocent but keep your eyes open……

Anon2you October 30, 2013 at 4:11 PM

The reason that people feel it is OK to take things off of other peoples porches is that there is no real consequences for being caught. Sad that these days it is YOUR fault for not locking your car, leaving something on the porch, not locking your house, your gate, your yard, your bike. Your fault you got robbed, mugged, raped or murdered, because you did something or sometimes because you didn’t do something…YET it isn’t the fault of the criminal, we don’t blame them and barely punish criminals when they get caught. Hell they are trying to release a 1000+ because there is no room in the prisons. Plus, WE CAN’T shoot them, spray them, stun them, or hit them for fear that we will be the ones in jail or prosecuted. This persons real mistake was believing we live in a world of the past, believing there still are good neighborhoods, and believing in the honesty of their neighbors and community. Sad, sad, sad…

old concord October 30, 2013 at 5:11 PM

We the people have built the bed we live in . If you want real change stop re electing demarcates and republicans . Most Americans never learn .

Claycordite October 30, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Granted this was a few years ago, but we had 2 life size concrete deer under our redwood trees on our corner. We were gone for a couple days and they were gone when we got home. Wondered if the thief got a hernia moving those two heavy objects, but didn’t follow up at the flea market to see if they were there. Needless to say we did not replace them.

ms. litella October 30, 2013 at 7:40 PM

i’m really hoping to hear a story about the stolen bag of dog poop or other useless or unwanted items stolen.

OldTimer October 30, 2013 at 9:04 PM

I’m sorry to hear this, but maybe we should all consider the big picture that someone was on your front porch at night and no one hear anything. What if they thought you weren’t home? I would consider getting a dog or a security camera, for personal safety.

Connie Dobbs October 30, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Life-size concrete deer? You have excellent taste.

Archie Bumker October 31, 2013 at 12:21 AM

Pictures on a porch? Sounds a bit trashy, I bet a neighbor got bugged and trashed it!