BE CAREFUL! Pay Extra Attention If You’re Driving in a School Zone

October 30, 2013 7:00 am · 27 comments

cv

Claycordians, please be careful driving around our local schools!

We told you on Tuesday morning there was a crash in front of Clayton Valley High School on Alberta Way in Concord.

Here’s an update.

The following was sent out on Tuesday by David Linzey, the Executive Director at Clayton Valley Charter High School:

“Good morning,

We all live very busy lives and get caught up in the morning rush to our destinations (school, work, etc.), but it is very important to keep safety paramount in our minds.

This morning, most unfortunately, one of our students was grazed by a car in the crosswalk in front of the school prior to the start of the day.

The student is fine, but this incident reminds us of the need for putting safety first in all we do. When students arrive to school early in the morning at this time of year it is quite dark out. We must not only be extra diligent in watching for students as we drive, but we must also instruct our students to be cautious and aware as they cross traffic.

Please take extra precautions when you approach all areas surrounding CVCHS. Remember to be careful when driving through the parking lots as well. We appreciate you discussing these reminders with your children whether they are driving yet or not, as we all must be defensive pedestrians.

David L. Linzey

Executive Director
Clayton Valley Charter High School”

Chevrolet girl October 30, 2013 at 7:31 AM

Glad he is okay! My daughter goes here and people drive crazy! You would think the students are the worst, and ya they are pretty bad, but it’s the parents! SLOW down, you would want others to slow for your kid! Your rush to get your Latte is not worth a kids life, they don’t serve them in prison!

Melissa October 30, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Agreed! The parents can be the worst offenders! My daughter goes here too…

Parent TK421 October 30, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Traffic gets so nuts there. I have my student meet me slightly away from campus so I don’t have to drive there any more. People drive way too fast, and those pulling out left block those who need to turn right. A traffic cop or two at drop-off/pick-up hours might make it safer and more efficient, and this calm everyone the hell down. I was being rudely honked at for “not going” once when there were students crossing or about to on my right and a huge, black SUV totally blocking my vision to the left! Just how exactly was I to safely pull out in those conditions?

Where I went to high school – “east of the Mississippi” – we had traffic cops who came in to direct, and surprise, surprise: speeding was way, way down, near-misses with pedestrians was nearly non-existent, and everyone was able to get on to their business a lot faster than before.

I am also in favor of cross-walk lights of any kind to highlight that a pedestrian is there.

Both of those would make things safer around the school for everyone.

Academy Rd October 30, 2013 at 9:13 AM

I live right next to CVH and it’s EXTREMELY difficult to see the crosswalk that’s located right in front of the school. The large tree casts a shadow over Alberta and the faint yellow paint of the crosswalk. Add the glare of the morning sun or sundown and it’s almost impossible to see anything on thy street. Drivers who visit Alberta every day would know this about that street and slow down. The crosswalk needs to be painted again or install blinking lights.

AKA October 30, 2013 at 9:19 AM

I drive in front of CVCHS everyday when I take my daughter to her elementary school also when I pick her up. Every day I see parents letteing their kids get out of the cars while on Alberta Way. These kids just run across the road without looking. I have seen kids step right off the curb at a cross walk without even looking at on coming cars. These kids will also walk one at a time(five or six feet appart) across the cross walk holding up the traffic withoput a care in the world for anyone else. It is only a matter of time before someone is seriously hurt. There needs to be more traffic control, maybe a light at the crosswalks. As a driver that has lived in the area for many many years. I have seen the traffic get worse every year, with this year being far worse then ever before. It is very frustrating.

HeyYou October 30, 2013 at 9:28 AM

De La Salle is still better

rusty nail October 30, 2013 at 9:38 AM

I hope he sent this to the students
and the parents.

Retired Cop October 30, 2013 at 9:52 AM

No surprise her at all. assume they do not see you or do not care & you wiil survive. I always wait for all cars to go by even when I have the right of way–the comes for decades of seeing what others do.

Scary October 30, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Every day I drop off my child and make it home safe is a good day.

I am more nervous about my kids crossing the street in high school than I was in elementary school. There are too many cars going in too many directions all at the same time. The kids cross the street with no regard to traffic.

As a driver the students scare me, they get to the cross walk and step off the curb (most) without even looking. Yes they have the right of way, but unless they are sure the driver of the car sees them they shouldn’t walk.

Be more careful!

clonpet October 30, 2013 at 11:16 AM

I lived next door for over 35 years… There are no flashing light indicating a school all along Alberta Way, no one, or no cops enforce the speed zone of 25 MPH, come to other states if you drive over the posted limit you will get a nice expensive ticket.
Concord Blvd has flashing 25 MPH lights on the street by the High School, but yet when the lights are on, traffic goes by at 30 to 40 MPH.
So why is the law not enforced in Ca

It is very bad October 30, 2013 at 11:33 AM

It’s getting worse now that CV is a charter school. They have increased their enrollment and draw student from all over the district. That means more cars dropping off and picking up at CV. More students driving. More students crossing the streets and hanging out in the neighborhoods around the school.

The CV students have always been a danger to themselves and others. They step out onto Alberta without checking for traffic. They’re not in a crosswalk. They assume cars will stop for them while they are staring at their phones oblivious to traffic. It’s only a matter of time before one of them is killed. I do my best not to drive down Alberta when school is getting out. It’s a nightmare.

If the people who ran CV cared one bit for their students and their community they would pay for traffic cops. It’s their fault traffic is worse.

old concord October 30, 2013 at 5:25 PM

The morning was scary and the afternoon pick up was a zoo . School said city showed up and needed pick up area shut to do some work . The night mare begins . They give some school employee a walkie talkie and send him out for traffic help . He now has power of police chief in his mind and challenges a parent to fight . Funny for a non violent campus during anti bully week . School paper should interview him .

old concord October 30, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Be safer if city and schools worked together . No work near schools during pick up or drop off hours .

You can have it October 30, 2013 at 5:44 PM

This school is overcrowd and understaffed, the staff it does have is not qualified. Set up to fail.

anon October 30, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Love to have someone video the morning drop off going down Valmar if the parents aren’t flying down the road then it is bumper to bumper the complete length of the street and down around the corner on to Kenwal. Then you have all the impatient ones that make all the u turns in the middle of the bumper to bumper traffic.
In my opinion all the cross streets around here need to be closed to school traffic. It adds way to many ways for these crazy driver parents to go and it’s crazy to try and turn onto Alberta from Valmar in either direction especially a right turn with the crosswalk in front of the school. I am not sure why these kids need to be dropped off right in front of the school, they are in high school, what would be wrong with dropping them off at Lucky”s parking lot and letting them walk the last block that would solve two problems, traffic and they wouldn’t have to cross the street at the crosswalk near Valmar.

Claycordite October 30, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Oh, come on #14. Take your bitter remarks somewhere else. That is not helping anyone try to solve the problem!

Now that there is a public warning, let’s hope that parents will be more aware of the dangers and take some responsibility for their own actions.

cautious October 30, 2013 at 7:28 PM

I do everything in my power to avoid
driving by a school at dropoff or pickup
times which is saying a lot because I
have to pass by a school or school traffic
to go almost anywhere.

To make matters worse, the ones taking
shortcuts to the school go racing through
my neighborhood endangering our pets with
little respect for our peace and quiet. Nice
examples to set for their children.

You can have it October 30, 2013 at 7:55 PM

@ #16

And you are?

memo October 30, 2013 at 8:57 PM

The parents who come to our school block traffic waiting for their children in front of the school when there is a legitimate pickup and drop-off point. They back into each other, try to create three lanes in the parking lot and hurry in and out while children run across the lot. When a teacher or principal tries to correct parents’ driving they are “interfering” and get words and gestures you shouldn’t say or do in front of your kids.

A October 30, 2013 at 10:31 PM

My kids go to a different school here in Concord and traffic is also scary crazy. Parents don’t follow the traffic laws and all the kids are at risk. Seen a few close calls and it is so sad.

dbc October 31, 2013 at 7:17 AM

@ You can have it #14
Please show us your facts, I’ll show you mine.
What I know, My wife is a Teacher at Mt D and it closes a road but still sees the same type of traffic. My youngest child went to CV back in 1000-2003 and the traffic was bad then and the quality of the educate was better than Mt. D but not as good as it is today at CV. I can make that statement as my oldest grandchild is a freshman at CV and the quality of education he is getting is great. This school is in constant communication with us, (as we have Guardianship of our Grandson). If he is missing something or is struggling, we get an email from his teacher. If he misses or is late to any class, we get both a call and an email. So from my prospective this school is doing a excellent job. It is overcrowded as parents want what is best and they know this school is outperforming many of the other schools in the California. Clayton Valley Charter High School surpasses opponent expectations with the highest improvements in API scores in California!!
This according to the State of California: http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/9/prweb11181921.htm

So @You can have it, as a concerned Grandparent, please show my your facts so I can work with the school to correct the problems you mentioned.

Bill October 31, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Good rule of thumb, any car with an “honor roll” sticker in the back window will be the worst offender!!

old concord October 31, 2013 at 11:54 AM

I have no problem with the school and staff . My child is doing well there . The traffic is bad but not terrible if you are a regular you plan for it . The parents aren’t any worse drivers than the ones rushing to work . Drive safe and be responsible .

Anon2you October 31, 2013 at 2:11 PM

@ You can have it – I bet you are a bitter Concord High, Mt. Diablo or Northgate parent, who only wishes your school and parents were intelligent and DEDICATED enough to have separated from the district. You are completely incorrect of your assessment. CVCHS has so far exceeded my expectations, as a parent of 2 students of the school I see the before and after of the change. The teachers are performing at a high level, with energy and enthusiasm that is refreshing to see. The student body is very engaged in the process of learning, they are taking advantage of the programs offered and based on recent data exceeding the “Norm” with regards to State testing performance. There seems to be a tighter nit community of students and parents than before the change over. So YOU CAN HAVE IT, thank you for not wanting to be part of this environment, you are probably someone who wouldn’t get it and YOU would just be a problem maker, instead of a problem solver…
@ Rusty Nail – They did send this message to all parents
@ Its Very Bad – you wrote: It’s getting worse now that CV is a charter school. They have increased their enrollment and draw student from all over the district. That means more cars dropping off and picking up at CV.
What are you getting at??? That along with your other comment: The CV students have always been a danger to themselves and others.
So…CV students have ALWAYS been a danger to themselves and others, ALWAYS is a very long time my friend… Now my turn to use “Always”. CVCHS has always had a large student body population, with basically one way into and out of the campus, there is a physical restriction on the traffic that is a result of CITY planning when the campus was originally built. Back then students used to be able to drive each other to and from school which is restricted now (the first year you have your license) so more cars with only 1 student in it. Couple that with the fact that more parents feel the need to drop off and pick up their children from school, a practice that most definitely was not done back in the olden days, when I was in High School and the fact that the olden days School bus just doesn’t pick up and drop off kids anymore so even more cars necessary to traverse that little roadway, and kids just don’t walk to school or ride their bikes to school very much either like we used to. Times changed but that little road didn’t.

I personally commute past several local schools everyday, traffic is a problem near each and every school I pass, whether that be Elementary, Middle or High School. Parents try and drop their children off in the middle of the road, or try to take short cuts, stop without warning, race thru neighborhoods so their precious little ones do not get a tardy on their records, etc…etc..etc… regardless of the school and sorry @ Hey You – De La Salle your traffic is just as bad as anywhere. Money doesn’t buy you out of traffic jams…

Seems to me a very good deed by the Principal of CVCHS to remind people to be extra careful at this time of year when driving around the school area has been corrupted by a few of you to try and bash CVCHS in some way. Really? Just take this message at face value, you don’t always have to try and read into every message…you chuckelheads!

concordsangel November 1, 2013 at 3:10 PM

I like how Mr.Linzey is blaming the student for being run over. Oh sorry, “grazed”. “Students need to be cautious and aware as they cross traffic” Really? So it was the poor kids fault that people are speeding down that street all the time. It’s the students fault that “he” wasn’t cautious enough when crossing the street. Yeah.. okay. How about taking 2 of your vast inventory of staff and posting them as crossing guards – to assist our kids in crossing the street safely. Instead of wasting money on the Clothes Police (which doesn’t work anyway) and Employee Parking Lot Patrol.. why don’t you actually show that you care about the students safety and help the situation instead of blaming it the students.
Another fine note from such an improved school. Yeah… Okay.

Cowellian November 1, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Back when I was learning to drive, there was a public service announcement saying “even if you have the right-of-way, don’t be dead right!” It’s still good advice.

nytemuvr November 1, 2013 at 4:55 PM

@Cowellian #26
Do you remember the PSA with James Dean saying to “Drive safely, the life you save may be mine”….ironic.