Suspects Arrested After Allegedly Stealing Bicycles & Fleeing from Police in Concord

October 28, 2013 20:15 pm · 38 comments

suspect

Concord Police on Monday arrested two men who they say stole two bicycles on Willow Pass Road, and then fled from the police.

At about 1pm, a victim reported the theft of two bikes from the area of 1390 Willow Pass Rd. The victim then followed the two suspects to the area of Concord Ave. & Burnett Ave.

The suspects, identified as 27-year-old Antioch resident James Petermann and 32-year-old Concord resident John Bassett were contacted by officers, but they fled when officers arrived, police said.

Petermann was subsequently detained and taken into custody near New Lane, while Bassett fled northbound on the adjacent canal trail, according to police. An officer spotted Bassett near 1717 Solano Way, and police say when Bassett was contacted by the officers, he was non-compliant with the officers’ attempts to take him into custody.

Officers ultimately overcame the resistance and were able to gain compliance from Bassett, who was then arrested, police said.

Both suspects were booked into county jail on stolen property and resisting arrest violations.

Thanks to John for the picture!

Splendid October 28, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Come down on them HARD !!

Living in Long Beach October 28, 2013 at 8:19 PM

LOSERS!!

Shuley October 28, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Sometimes I think to myself “Am I doing all I can to be a good father to my son? Am I working hard enough?” I go out every day and earn a living to support the family. I help him with his school work, make his meals, try to mentor him as a good example to be a good person, kind to others, treat women with respect, etc..

Then I see losers like this. These are adults out stealing bikes and running from the cops. It reminds me that I may not be perfect, but so far from being a complete failure like these tools. God, I hope they don’t have kids.

Mike October 28, 2013 at 8:26 PM

What scumbags! Stealing bicycles? Running from the Police like cowards. Then acting like idiots when they finally get caught. Absolute parasites that society can do without! Hey Petermann & Bassett. How about you get a life? You two are supposed to be responsible adults. Not PUNKS. GROW UP! But then, it appears that might be too much to ask of either of you chumps.

Nice to see the Police catching these vermin. Good work by the Police.

Jojo potato October 28, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Sickening !

JR Walnut Creek October 28, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Shuley, Your standing tall man……stay with it. . .
JR

Concord Guy October 28, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Darwin was right.

Claycordian1 October 28, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Good for you, Shuley. You sound like you’re doing it right! Keep it up! 🙂

Cowellian October 28, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Hang them!

VikingPrincess October 28, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Good job CPD and the person providing the pic. No shirt? LOL

Keith October 28, 2013 at 8:58 PM

I have ZERO TOLERANCE for any type of crime, including theft.

But grown men who steal bikes are on the “lower end of the food chain” crime wise.

I’m more concerned about violent crime.

I had my bike stolen as a kid, and people blamed me because it wasn’t locked. I was just a kid.

Sabrina October 28, 2013 at 9:14 PM

I was going to comment on the picture, but decided against it. Way to go cpd.

Curious George October 28, 2013 at 9:16 PM

@Shuley

Your son is lucky. Maybe these two guys did not have a father to mentor and direct them like you have your son. Not that having no father gives you a green light to be a derelict, but sometimes there really are sad cases out there. Just sayin…

Once UponATime October 28, 2013 at 9:29 PM

They are probably high! Kind of person acts this way? Yesh

Sabrina T. October 28, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Something tells me another lady named Sabrina was going to comment on his appearance, but decided against it.

I will comment instead. I think he’s good looking, and definitely not the kind of guy I see in our neighborhood (Orinda).

That being said, he’s a thief.

Lock your bikes……

Justbnme October 28, 2013 at 9:35 PM

I went to HS with John smh. Ever since senuor yr hes been on a downward path. Sad to know a good kid then has turned out like this. Praying for him. But also no matter who or how old you are, dont do the crime if u cant do the time

Larbac October 28, 2013 at 9:41 PM

NICE GOING CPD…

Anonymous October 28, 2013 at 9:53 PM

We note that no Sgt approved the arrest.. Oh wait this isn’t BART PD. Concord has real cops.

anon October 28, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Cool. I watched them chase him down today and stop him, right on the lawn next to Sports Authority and then saw them again pulling into county as I was walking to my car (was at court this afternoon.)

Cartman October 28, 2013 at 10:51 PM

Boil them.

MiddleAgedConservativeWhiteMale October 29, 2013 at 12:30 AM

I’m glad to know that racial bias has permeated all facets of western society

kaykus October 29, 2013 at 6:05 AM

Euwww … put a shirt on. In jail you go.

Some Dude October 29, 2013 at 6:14 AM

Put them down, they are worthless and mentally broken.

Akita_Luv October 29, 2013 at 6:40 AM

Know wonder he stole the bike. He needs the excerise.

KenInConcord October 29, 2013 at 7:42 AM

I just hope that the jury at his trial is full of people like @Shuley & @Keith!

And none of those @Charlie Brown types!!!

Just saying…….

KenInConcord October 29, 2013 at 7:49 AM

Oops !! Correction::

@Charlie Brown = WRONG

Should have been @Curious George

Thief? October 29, 2013 at 7:54 AM

The picture of a thief? Really? I would have never thought since this guy isn’t all tatted up!!!! Isn’t that a requirement of criminal folk? I would have assumed this guy was clean. Lol!!!

But they are such good kids!!!! October 29, 2013 at 8:18 AM

Before you all go off on me….

This seems to be what people are now saying….

If you do not like it stop complaining and do something about it or quit complaining!

Cowellian October 29, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Keith, I put bicycle theft, especially from a child, in the same category as auto theft. There is a difference in taking someones iPod and taking their only means of transportation.

But yeah, I’d be satisfied with Kieth and Shuley being on the jury.

Really!? October 29, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Some criminals clearly have never watched an episode of COPS.

If you’re a crook and NOT wearing a shirt (and you’re not about to enter a pool or go on stage, you are guaranteed to get arrested.

Last time people, No shirt = Get Arrested.

BagsFlyFree October 29, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Another mugshot for Concord’s most scummy!

Dredge October 29, 2013 at 10:28 AM

I’ve observed that there’s a bicycle bone yard ditched in the grass beside the sporting goods store and airport. Bicycles ditched in pine creek storm channel. Some kid pedaling like mad down meadow lane took two bicycle wheels to the public storage on monument where the food bank is located, and he entered the security gate with these items.
Read somewhere $4 million in bicycles stolen in San Francisco last year. Makes one wonder how it adds up for the whole bay area.
Stolen. Ditched. Stripped. Stored. Shipped out. It appears to be a lucrative and well coordinated industry of countless thefts and thieves.
Had two bicycles stolen from me this year. One was brand new.

Idiocracy October 29, 2013 at 11:28 AM

HA HA HA HA, What a bunch of idiots lol! Step your life up!

go for it October 29, 2013 at 12:15 PM

A friend of mine has his bike stolen over a couple of streets from there, I wonder if these are the same guys

jtkatec October 29, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Neanderthal

Jack October 29, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Yes they caught them, but how soon after booking were they released? an hour later? These scumbags never get enough time due to overcrowding.

ClaycordResident October 29, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Way to go PD!

ms. litella October 30, 2013 at 7:50 PM

here we go again another ‘james’ lowlife. what is w/ that name.