Suspect who Died During Police Pursuit & Crash Identified as 21-year-old Clayton Man

September 28, 2013 21:23 pm · 50 comments

A man who died in a crash near the mobile home on Marsh Creek Road on Friday after allegedly evading sheriff’s deputies in a stolen car has been identified as Clayton resident Weston Tanner, 21, according to the Contra Costa County coroner’s office.

Tanner was killed in a crash that began around 8 a.m. Friday when a deputy responded to a call about a suspicious vehicle near the intersection of Walnut Boulevard and Camino Diablo Road in Brentwood, according to Contra Costa County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Jimmy Lee.

Deputies located the car, a Lexus sedan, and found that it had recently been reported stolen from Concord, Lee said.

When a deputy tried to approach the driver, he sped away, sparking a roughly 7-mile chase on westbound Marsh Creek Road.

The pursuit ended when the suspect lost control of the Lexus and crashed into a tree near the Clayton Regency Mobile Home Park at 16711 Marsh Creek Road, Lee said.

The driver and two other men inside the car were trapped, and two had to be extricated by firefighters, sheriff’s officials said.

The passengers were identified by the California Highway Patrol as male Concord residents, ages 17 and 19.

The two passengers were airlifted to John Muir Medical Center in Walnut Creek, where they were listed in critical condition Friday afternoon, Lee said.

Both the office of the sheriff and the district attorney are investigating the incident, following standard procedure in the event of an officer-involved death.

© 2013 by Bay City News, Inc. — Republication, Rebroadcast or any other Reuse without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.

{ 50 comments }

1 Concord Guy September 28, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Mr. Tanner made some very bad choices. There are consequences to choices, especially bad choices.

2 Monica September 28, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Very sad….there are consequences.

3 Nick September 28, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Don’t really like your tone concord guy

4 Anon September 28, 2013 at 9:38 PM

R.I.P Weston.

5 randy jackson September 28, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Lets try and be mature adults and please leave the nasty comments off this post.

6 SquishyBugs September 28, 2013 at 9:40 PM

21 year olds are not known for making the best decisions, but death was not an appropriate consequence for stealing a car and trying to avoid being arrested for it.

Condolences to his family and friends.

7 well September 28, 2013 at 9:44 PM

he should have just taken his lumps and moved on with life

8 Anonymee September 28, 2013 at 9:47 PM

My condolences to this young man’s family.

9 BigBob September 28, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Rest in peace with God Wes. A good young man with a good soul and just couldn’t find his way here. Take care of him and his family he leaves behind.

10 Elwood September 28, 2013 at 9:49 PM

@ Nick #3

Stupid is as stupid does.

11 carol September 28, 2013 at 9:50 PM

My condolences to the family hurting. For everyone posting rude comments, kerp them to yourself. This young man was someones son, friend..ect. Life is full of mistakes..some bigger than others… Doesn’t mean thry aren’t worthy of love and a helping hand to get back on track. To the ones lucky enough to survive, I hope this is the wake up call they need to live a respectful life.. i’ve been there..in your exact spot..I now am 25..habe a great life..husband and a daughter. Again, my heart goes put to this young man’s family and friends..R.I.P.

12 Neal September 28, 2013 at 9:51 PM

I don’t condone stealing cars, but he didn’t deserve to die.

13 Lynnie Morgan September 28, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Its important to keep this in perspective. Those two young men and the juvional in the car are someone’s son. Yes, they made bad choices but no one should think that death is an appropriate consiquence. Seems to me that the parents of these three young (notice I said young) are the ones that will be paying for their children’s mistake. Young people think they will live forever. This makes for some pretty bad decisions! My heart and prayers go out to the survivors, and to the parents of these men. Also prayers will be said in the way of thanksgiving that no one se was involved in this!

14 dont start September 28, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Dont even start to begin with the negative comments leave your heartless remarks to yourself , may weston rest in peace , watch over us with your shining smile , gone but NEVER forgotten

15 Desi September 28, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Very sad……

Condolences to his family and friends

16 cvhseagle September 28, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Life is hard enough to survive without putting yourself and others in reckless harms way. I am very sad for these boys and their families. But as a previous tenant of the trailer park I am grateful no one else was killed. This was not an accident, it was an incident.

17 Joorst Ruuly September 28, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Peace for all concerned.

18 Toni Tanner September 28, 2013 at 10:03 PM

My nephew, Weston, was the most loving person that I know. Rest in Peace, Weston. I LOVE YOU.

Please have compassion for the family as I would never wish this on anybody.

19 Cowellian September 28, 2013 at 10:05 PM

What’s your point, Nick?

Are you somehow claiming that there aren’t consequences to bad actions? Or are you saying that we shouldn’t be discussing bad choices and consequences on a discussion site?

20 Concord Guy September 28, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Choices and consequences, Nick. Sorry I hurt your feelings.

21 Nicole September 28, 2013 at 10:09 PM

@ Toni Tanner-18

I have compassion for your family. God bless them……

22 Sad in Concord September 28, 2013 at 10:12 PM

To Weston’s family….. Our once long ago soccer family; our hearts are heavy after hearing the news regarding Weston. You are in our thoughts and prayers…. Such a sad day indeed.
The O’Regan’s – Dan, Carol, Scott & Kelly

23 grumpy September 28, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Rip weston tanner..just want to say he helped my daughter thru tough times with her ex ..great man..but some bad choices …prayer are with all families

24 former Concord guy September 28, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Hey Nick , Shut it

25 slipster September 28, 2013 at 10:18 PM

What is an appropriate consequence… slap from Mommy/Daddy’s hand? no dinner! and no dessert? Beat it you creepy SquishyBug softy ostrich head in the sand slacking squishy!!!!!! That kid put every other person on Marsh Creek in jeopardy with their lives.. Scumbag steals a car???? Then decides to outrun police… done! done! Done! Nice choice punk…glad its your life and not some innocent person’s life.

Oh.. nice kid,,,such a sweetheart,… just wonderful and not naughty. Dont steal a car dirtbag! Pull over if you do… face the music punk. Don’t jeopardize others’ lives w/ your driving and trying to evade.

Karma HIT and it HIT right!!!!!!

26 Kimbo September 28, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Having compassion for the family is a given. Stating that Weston made a bad choice that led to his death and the possible deaths of his friend(s) is a FACT.
I don’t feel sorry for him or his friends.

27 his myspace name is thugmonsta September 28, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Anyone know why he called himself “thugmonsta”?

28 He Made the Choice September 28, 2013 at 10:28 PM

R.I.P. Car thief. Any good that you did prior was erased by this insanely poor choice of actions. Your death was not an accident, it was caused by actions that you alone put into place. Good riddance.

29 furian September 28, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Clayton has really become a cesspool of crime.

30 BART rider September 28, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Sweet…his myspace handle is thugmonsta.

Damn good thing his “bad decisions” didnt kill any innocent bystanders.

31 slipster September 28, 2013 at 10:37 PM

So true Kimbo.

32 Noflow September 28, 2013 at 10:38 PM

To quote Forest Gump: “Stupid is as stupid does.”

33 Mother trucker September 28, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Wow, with all the negativity, I didn’t know there were perfect people in the world!!! RIP

34 James September 28, 2013 at 10:44 PM

“If you judge people, you have no time to love them” -Mother Teresa.

RIP Weston.

35 Mr T September 28, 2013 at 10:49 PM

It is what it is, he chose his path. Unfortunately, he paid the ultimate price. No one deserves to die, but those were the consequences that were dealt to him. R.I.P.

36 rgb September 28, 2013 at 10:53 PM

prayers for the family. such a sad thing to happen to these young people RIP Weston

37 Brad September 28, 2013 at 11:06 PM

hey slipster, what’s your real name? lets see if karma will HIT YOU

38 eric September 28, 2013 at 11:07 PM

I am going do my best and be respectful to family and people that may have know this person or his accomplices but I find it hard to believe he was a “great man” as “grumpy” calls him. “Great Men” don’t steal cars and then run from the police and endanger other people’s lives. He might have been a pleasant person, he probably did some nice things in his life but he also, according to all the news reports, committed a crime that resulted in him killing himself and critically injuring two others. I have no idea how anyone can justify calling him a great man after that. I am not someone that is saying that this is justice (his death as fair punishment for stealing a car) but I do strongly believe in consequences for our choices and he obviously made a string of very poor choices. I never knew this person but if I did I would hope that I would have tried to intervene with them before something like this happened. I find it hard to believe that this is the first time this person made an extremely bad choice or committed a crime, this seems to be several major steps past that. As his aunt wrote on here about having compassion for the family, I agree, I wouldn’t wish this on anyone either and I am sorry for their pain. It just seems that we continue to see these events and incidents time and time again and the family/friends most often say the same thing. “They were great but misunderstood” or “Such a loving and wonderful boy but they fell in with the wrong crowd.” It is just sad to have people try and memorialize them after they have made choices that end up in tragedy and loss of life, their own or some one else’s.

39 Other Mom September 28, 2013 at 11:20 PM

My son was lucky to walk away w/minor injuries from this horrific accident. Weston did not deserve to die because he made a bad choice of stealing a car. MY heart goes out to his family and the other boys family while he recuperates in the hospital. I am thankful no other cars were involved and no innocent bystanders were injured. I am also thankful & grateful to the ER responders who took such great care of the two boys that survived.

Obviously some of the negative commenters on the other articles either don’t have children or have ‘perfect’ children. Trust me I’ve been the hard line disciplinarian w/my son…but short of chaining him up he makes his own decisions and choices and they aren’t always the smartest!! Hoping the two boys learn from this horrific incident. The tree looks like it survived and the car can be replaced. I’m sure the owner of the car would not wish this on Weston or the other boys.

40 Mr. John September 28, 2013 at 11:25 PM

This adult allegedly (likely) stole a car, then drove recklessly trying to evade capture. There are many ways in which people could have been killed by his selfish idiocy. I feel no pity for him. This easily could have been a story about how someone running from the police ran over a family. We can’t tolerate this type of behavior if we expect it to stop, and treating this man as if he were some sort of victim is too much like excusing his crimes. We need to do more to stop people from becoming the thugs that do this type of thing.

41 Okay September 28, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Mr T, false there are many people who deserve to die, this just wasn’t one of them. Your comment though is way too over generalized.

42 furian September 28, 2013 at 11:31 PM

“If you die while running from the law, after committing a felony, then you got what you deserved.” -Father Furian

43 Good heart September 28, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Amazing that people sit behind there computers and pass such judgement! Everyone makes mistakes in life, some big, some small, some at great cost to themselves and some at great cost to others. Its not anyone’s place to pass judgement or sentence on this soul! Shame on you! Look at your owns lives and judge yourselves! God Bless this lost soul and his family!

44 Scrappy September 28, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Touché Big Bob! (#9), touché

45 Stiz September 29, 2013 at 12:00 AM

To people like slipster and all the other “perfect” people out there I hope you never make a bad decision and always have plenty of love and support to keep you on the perfect path!!! Toni Tanner, we spent this last summer knowing you nephews kindness and love and he was nothing but a great friend to us and our children who are very sad!!! Our Prayers to you and your family!!!

46 Cam September 29, 2013 at 12:10 AM

Rest in Paradise Weston. For we all choose a path to walk, but you will always be remembered and missed. Sad to see a friend gone.

47 map500 September 29, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Would this be different had this young man killed someone else? “Made a mistake” is being thrown around a lot, but didn’t friends of that Rosen kid say the same thing?
If it’s someone you know, of course it’s a tragic mistake, however it’s easy to judge and condemn when you don’t know them. It’s a shame either way.

48 I don't understand September 29, 2013 at 12:44 AM

Do any of you get it?

We, Clayton Valley’s class of 2010, are going through hell right now. We lost George Arth (August 29 2011/Class of ’09), Hayden Trost and Brian Wheeler (June 1st 2012/Class of ’10), Dylan Mitchell (May 23, 2013 Class of ’10), and now Weston Tanner (Class of ’10). Each incident has been completely different then the next. Can you not understand, there is a bigger picture. It hurts and it sucks. We’ve lost another great friend, classmate, teammate, locker buddy, ect. It’s just not okay… You people have had something horrible to say about each and everyone of them. “He wasn’t wearing a helmet”, “They were drunk and on drugs/They deserved to die for hitting that iniocent guy and his pet”, “If he had taken better care of himself”, NOW ” he was a crimal he deserved what he got”. STOP MAKING US HEAR THESE AWFUL, PAINFUL, IDIOTIC STATMENTS. We are all young and are still becoming whoever it is we are meant to be. We should be worrying about what major we should go for, what college will I transfer to, what job is right for me. Instead, we are in constant fear of “was that car accident on Claycord another friend”, “why is that abulance going towards Clayton” “will this pain ever go away”, ect.

Kim. PRAYS TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY. You are a great mother. You put them through private school for most of their years of education. You were there for their games, their heartaches, thier moments of joy. You did everything you could for them. Boys will be boys. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.

Ms. Arth, Ms. Trost, Ms. Wheeler, Ms. Mitchell, Kim,
Amazing son’s. They all stood out in ways that impacted not just their graduating classes but years above and below. Trust me, eveyday, someone is remembering them. They are so many things in this world, that remind us of them. Never forgotten.

Just let us morn. Let us hear the wonderful memories they placed in all of our lives.

Lastly, J. Anderson everytime someone dies they are your “best friend” and you post a million things on social media. Stop. Don’t lead these jerks to now think he was some drug addict. Keep your comment’s to yourself. You tarnishing his name more so then these lies everyone else wants to say. Some “best friend”.

49 Sherries September 29, 2013 at 12:49 AM

@Slipster
I hope you find your way-you have a big heart; don’t let i be torn from you.

50 Dania September 29, 2013 at 1:00 AM

This poor man. God rest his soul. It’s time to for respect of his family. Prayers and condolences.