PICS: Claycordian Baffled After Mysterious Person Fixes Dent on Vehicle

September 23, 2013 · 63 comments

Here’s something nice from a Claycordian to start your Monday….

I am writing out of pure confusion. A few weeks ago, my car was parked in my Townhouse’s extra parking. I came out on morning and noticed the rear got hit in the middle of the night. No note from the person who hit my car, of course. It was a nice dent as you can see in the pictures. I don’t have the money to fix it and it wasn’t hindering the car at all so I let it be.

Today, I went to leave for work and noticed that the dent was gone. No one in my family knows about it and I am not sure when the dent vanished. While it bugs me to death as to who and why someone would do this, I just want to say a huge thank you to whomever it was!

In this day when all we hear about is the bad things happening, I thought this was a nice thing to discover. I plan to pay it forward in some way or another.

Whoever it was that fixed that dent, that was a very nice thing to do.

1 NoMoreFreeRide September 23, 2013 at 8:03 AM

Sometimes heat will help pop out the dent..

2 TJ September 23, 2013 at 8:08 AM

Thats a great story! Thanks for sharing. A nice way to start the week for sure.

3 Ph res September 23, 2013 at 8:12 AM

Sorry to be so cinicle these days but odds are that the dent probably popped out by itself similar to a water bottle. I’d like to think we have pure humanity left but I just don’t believe it these days.

4 Anonymous September 23, 2013 at 8:14 AM

Probably the person who hit the car, I suspect.

5 Domestic CEO September 23, 2013 at 8:16 AM

I wonder if it was the person who put the dent there in the first place! Either way, what a really nice thing someone did.

6 TeamUSA September 23, 2013 at 8:16 AM

Why

7 TeamUSA September 23, 2013 at 8:17 AM

Why someone would do something nice? Gee I dunno. (-_-)

8 Sinn Feiner September 23, 2013 at 8:18 AM

There’s a good chance that person who hit the car “might” have paid for someone to fix it! Maybe they felt too guilty about it.

9 Han Solo September 23, 2013 at 8:18 AM

Sometimes it’s just easy to reach up there and push it out especially on a hot day when the plastic is soft.

10 B September 23, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Probably some Motorcycle Rider

11 Do we have a new super hero? September 23, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Could it have popped out on it’s own somehow? Seems strange someone would fix a dent, even someone who hit it. Maybe. If not, WTG DENTMAN!

12 Antler September 23, 2013 at 8:20 AM

My money is on its being the person who PUT the dent there……didn’t want the ding on his insurance or driving record…….but indeed was EXPREMELY nice to fix your car. That’s a good job, too!

13 Luke Skywalker September 23, 2013 at 8:20 AM

I agree with Han Solo

14 Minenext September 23, 2013 at 8:21 AM

Ooh ooh. Me next! I got a nice dent on my rear passenger door. It bugs me like crazy. But in reality that’s wonderful. Maybe it was the person who did it. Haha

15 Cy Nical September 23, 2013 at 8:23 AM

That bumper is plastic and it’s possible that between the heat from the sun and cooling off cycles it could have popped back out. Or the responsible party could have come back and gotten their hand behind it from underneath and pop it back into position, it can be done depending how badly kinked it is.

16 Garnet September 23, 2013 at 8:25 AM

If you find out who fixed your car Please send he/she my way. Thanks!

17 Splendid September 23, 2013 at 8:26 AM

Looks like the lights are missing now.

18 Concord Grape September 23, 2013 at 8:30 AM

Same thing happened to me. It popped out be itself. Wonderful world of plastic

19 Stunt kiter September 23, 2013 at 8:32 AM

There is no way some one fixed that.
It popped out on its own.
I was hit in a parking lot and had the same damage done. While I was talking to the other party getting their info. We went back to take pictures of the dent and it was completely gone! Pretty cool!

20 Tinfoiler September 23, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Won’t pop out on its own and nobody paid to fix it, reach your hand behind bumper and push it out.

21 I did it September 23, 2013 at 8:35 AM

It did not pop out by itself. I am the one who fixed it. It took about 30 seconds to fix. I know the owner and he is a very nice hard working man. I had knowledge of how to fix it so I took it upon myself to do a good turn.

We would all use a little happiness.

Dent Repair Man

22 Connie Dobbs September 23, 2013 at 8:36 AM

No one wants to steal a dented car.

23 Neon September 23, 2013 at 8:42 AM

@I did it

if you knew me…i am not a hard working guy lol

24 Hank September 23, 2013 at 8:42 AM

I bet it was a firefighter… they are heroes.

25 TFF FAN September 23, 2013 at 8:46 AM

YES, PAY IT FORWARD!!!

26 Mac September 23, 2013 at 8:49 AM

A plunger and a couple pulls, and it`s good as new.

Used this on a dent in my gas tank on my motorcycle.
It works great….

27 just another fix September 23, 2013 at 8:54 AM

years ago our daughter lived in SF and drove an MR2…long story short she had a short steep drive to get to the st…driving UP the driveway….she was forever getiing dings in that car and asking Dad to fix them…..One day calls and says Hey Dad someone clipped me today and all 3 dents popped out ! LOL

28 The Mamba September 23, 2013 at 9:17 AM

I was going to suggest that someone probably just reached up and pushed it out, since it is plastic, but it looks like a bunch of other commentators already reached the same conclusion.

29 Darth Vader September 23, 2013 at 9:20 AM

I agree with Luke and Han.. Hey Han, Jabba’s on his way and Luke, Sorry to do this here but I’m kinda… your father. Was going to do the whole Maury “He is your father” thing but.. It didn’t feel right, so…yeah.. there ya go..

30 @ I did it September 23, 2013 at 9:29 AM

To ‘I did it':

Thank you for brightening up the day of the car owner. It sounds like you wanted to put a smile in his day. Actually, I think it will give him several days of smiles as he recalls it over and over, even though to you it was a small thing.

Thanks for the example to others…now I will look for some small thing to put a smile on someone else’s face.

And…I will also go out on a warm day and see if I can pop out that bumper dent in my car, that I’ve been bemoaning for years, but thinking it was not worth the expense of fixing!

31 Dorothy September 23, 2013 at 9:40 AM

No matter if it fixed itself, if the person who made it fixed it or had it fixed, it is a good story and I’m happy to see it.

BTY, wish my dents would get fixed, no questions asked, too bad they are not all plastic.

32 Kris September 23, 2013 at 9:50 AM

I dont think it would pop outa dent like that i dont think so i had a ding on my car and it never popped out. Sure it was the person who did it.

33 jellis September 23, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Too me it looks almost like two different vehicles. Except for the white scratches. The angle of the second looks odd.

34 foonman September 23, 2013 at 10:21 AM

These new plastics have memory and will do its best to conform to its
original shape. You will still see a wrinkle but its acceptable on an
older car. You got lucky.

35 Anon September 23, 2013 at 10:34 AM

I had the same happen to my car, i gave really mad and punched it back out from under the car.

36 wilma September 23, 2013 at 10:42 AM

It does “look” like new.

37 Sheila September 23, 2013 at 10:43 AM

It doesn’t matter how it happened (and I have no idea how it happened, and I won’t try to guess), but it’s nice to read anyway.

Especially since the owner didn’t have the money to fix it.

38 wilma September 23, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Just wait for 38 years-you might or might not notice the dent.

39 Cap'n Nick September 23, 2013 at 10:48 AM

I had a dent like that pop right out on its own on a hot day. The car was sitting in the driveway a couple of days after it had been hit. It’s not that big of a deal and sadly there is no mystery repairman.

40 MICHAEL September 23, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Sorry to say the person that hit it did not fix it. I work in a body shop and we
see that all the time. The bumper is plastic and wants to relax back to its natural position. on a warm enough day or just over time it will relax back as long as it is not a very sharp crease. As much as I would like to thank that
there are people at there that would do that. It is sad that in my industry I am
more shocked when someone tells me that they left a note after hitting the car then that no one left a note. But there is your answer.

41 old concord September 23, 2013 at 11:28 AM

I like the nice mystery person story . If it wasn’t to hard and I knew how to I would do something like that . My luck I would be caught under the car with that story .

42 anonymous September 23, 2013 at 11:38 AM

I agree with the others who say that it popped out on its own. There are several youtube videos that demonstrate how sudden heat and sudden cold can cause a dent to pop back out on its own. However, glad to hear that the owner doesn’t need to get it fixed.

43 zang September 23, 2013 at 11:50 AM

This is ridiculous, if I caught someone near my car they would be greeted by my pump action shotgun, regardless what the reason was. They violated this persons constitutional right to leave their car parked without being hassled. For all this mysterious dent fixer knew that could have been an intentional dent, and they had no right to touch it. It makes me sick when I think there are people out there who go around fixing dents as if it were a nice thing to do. Thanks mayor.

44 Dr. Jellyfinger September 23, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Are you sure you’ve got the right car?

45 Bob September 23, 2013 at 12:05 PM

dents pop out by themselves all the time………

46 jingles September 23, 2013 at 12:32 PM

obvi someone with a guilty conscience who did not want their insurance co.involved.

47 ohkaydohkay September 23, 2013 at 12:33 PM

I agree with ph res those kind of bumper covers can pop them selfs out on the corners ive seen it happen on other cars.trust me no one mysteriously fixed your car for you.its not like its metal and the dent is permanently there.so calm down every one..

48 Nice Nancy September 23, 2013 at 12:36 PM

It was Edward Cullen! If he did it for Bella, he can do it for you.

49 This appears to be a manifestation... September 23, 2013 at 12:52 PM

of polymeric molecular expansion and contraction attributable to a significant shift in ambient temperature over a relatively short period of time.

50 J. September 23, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Plastic bumpers have metal backing and attachments. A dent is not easy to pop back out even on a plastic bumper.

51 Pitstop Brothers September 23, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Keep in mind plastic expands and contracts with heat. If it got cold enough or even hot enough the plastic could have just “popped” back out…. although it was more then likely the person who hit you.

52 Cassandra September 23, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Bizarre! It’s odd to think that someone fixed it, but I didn’t know that plastic bumpers could relax back to their natural position. Actually, it’s good to know.

The chances of someone hitting you, and going back to fix it are slim. If they were that concerned, they would’ve left a note. People either hit and run, or they leave a note, and the insurance companies deal with it.

53 Scrappy September 23, 2013 at 2:36 PM

@ I did it
What a nice thing to do. Wish There were more people in the world like you.

54 Sheryl Wands September 23, 2013 at 2:42 PM

What I find amazing is that people could actually be nice-but everyone has to question it. I found it odd too that no one left a note; but just pulled the dent out. But there are all walks of people in this world, some are actually nice.

55 Concernicus September 23, 2013 at 3:06 PM

maybe it was the same person who made the dent, who felt guilty about denting it without leaving a note. there are reasons why someone couldnt leave a note…or simply not wanting insurance to get involved. itd make sense to just have it fixed just as stealthily as they broke it. (or maybe they didnt notice that they’d dented it until the sun rose, and by then were too ashamed to cop to it..)

56 VeryNice September 23, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Glad your dent is gone. That would definitely make my day.

Now if we could just get people to be more careful and stop dinging other people doors that would be nice.

57 MICHAEL September 23, 2013 at 4:38 PM

OMG some of these responses are driving me nuts. It popped out on its own.
The corners of bumpers have the most space and want to pop out. You can use a hair dryer or a heat gun and get it warm enough and as long as there is no crease you will watch it pop back out at worse you may need to give it a little push from behind but I hear it all the time. My dent just went away.
Yes with magic fairy dust too. Come on people if you think the guy or gal that did it came back after feeling guilty then I have some beach front property for sale. some call it a land fill but it is prime real estate. Make me an offer :)

58 jose September 23, 2013 at 4:54 PM

It could very well been the heat that popped it back out………..it does not take much heat to make a plastic bumper very pliable.

59 Magic mike September 23, 2013 at 9:50 PM

This has happened to me before. It’s the Dent Fairy. I’m sure of it.

60 Sue H. September 23, 2013 at 10:18 PM

It might have been the person who hit it to begin with. Guilt conscious may have made him do the right thing. If it wasn’t then that’s an awesome thing to do for someone you don’t know. God will reward this person :)

61 Eloiuse September 24, 2013 at 12:21 AM

I’m pretty sure it’s the Dent Fairy :-) or just a kind person.

62 Mimi (original) September 24, 2013 at 11:45 AM

I wish my whole car was able to “pop itself back out”. I have a couple of dings and dents that simple would cost too much to have fixed since they’re not covered under insurance, and the co-pay is $1,000 anyway!

63 Dixie September 24, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Just count it as a blessing and just say thank you! I think that people are still really generous at heart..even if it was the person who hit you to begin with..they made it right..who cares it’s fixed right!!?