PHOTO: Aerial Photos of the Fire Damage to Mt. Diablo & Surrounding Area

September 19, 2013 · 13 comments

The Morgan Fire sure took its toll on Mt. Diablo.

Click on each picture for a much larger view. Thanks to Charlie for sharing the amazing pictures of the damage done by the 3,000 acre fire.

1 ANNONeeemoose September 19, 2013 at 1:25 PM

I love that you post photos. Is there a way that photos can be displayed so we can click through rather than click one at a time then have to do a back arrow to get back to site to do it all over again? It’s no bigg and I’m sure people will complain at me… but… just a suggestion.

2 CLAYCORD.com September 19, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Good suggestion. I will see what I can do to get a slideshow from now on.

Thanks, Mayor

3 noep September 19, 2013 at 1:32 PM

That fire sure took a toll on mt diablo. Nice pics, smiles.

4 Anon Mom September 19, 2013 at 1:55 PM

I was just wondering this morning what it looked like now that the fire was out! Thanks Mayor!

5 Always Right September 19, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Now that so much land is burned over, wouldn’t it be smart to cut in some new roads to make the area more accessible to the public? New roads would also serve as fire breaks to prevent such a conflagration in the future.

Those of you who donate to “Save Mount Diablo” should insist that organization direct its efforts toward new roads, more campgrounds and better acess for firefighters and the general public.

6 Dragon September 19, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Thank you for the pictures, Charlie!

It’s so sad that this fire caused so much destruction, but at least it didn’t cause more. And, of course, our beloved mountain will bloom so brightly after this!

7 A time to sow some seeds September 19, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Show these same areas in the spring and let’s see. I am betting on a wild flower display like we have never seen…. It is sad to see it like this, but it is nature.

8 Charlie September 19, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Yeah, I drove to Los Angeles the day the fire started. Flew back a few days ago and this is what I saw. Very sad, but nature will run it’s course. Mt. Diablo will hopefully come back to a greater beauty soon enough!

9 LCDR September 19, 2013 at 3:04 PM

@#1
If using windows place pointer on photo, right click mouse and select open in a new window :)

10 Anon2you September 19, 2013 at 4:45 PM

From our vantage point in Clayton, it seemed that the fire had made it’s way around towards Alamo and WC much more, but it really seemed to stay on the eastern side of the mountain. We got to see the burn area last Saturday on the way to and back from Brentwood. Pretty large area, but thankfully no one was seriously injured or killed, and no homes were lost. Nature will recover just fine, thanks for all your concern silly humans. Take a look at Mt. St. Helens today, you almost couldn’t tell the type of devastation that took place there in 1980.

11 Larry September 20, 2013 at 8:23 AM

@ Always Right.

Roads don’t stop wildfires. I have personally witnessed wildfires jumping 8-10 lane Interstate Highways. Wrong this time.

12 Mimi (original) September 20, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Wow! Thanks for the great photos! The bird’s eye view is something most of us would never get.

13 Brian Griffin September 20, 2013 at 1:04 PM

@ Larry
I have personally witnessed portions of wildfires stopped by roads. And other times slowed down by roads. Wrong this time.