Mt. Diablo State Park Set to Partially Reopen on Monday Sept. 16th

September 13, 2013 12:56 pm · 11 comments

park_closed

The following information is from the California Department of Parks & Recreation. It’s in regards to the reopening of Mt. Diablo State Park:

After battling the Morgan Fire in Mount Diablo State Park since early Sunday afternoon, the fire is contained.

With the fire suppressed California State Parks and Cal Fire have determined that many areas of the park are safe for visitors to return.

A partial opening is planned for Monday September 16, 2013.

Although the fire has been suppressed, the rehabilitation process will be ongoing. Be aware of heavy equipment on the paved roads as well as fire roads.

With 800,000 visitors a year to Mount Diablo State Park, we want to thank the public for their patience in staying out of the park while it was closed.

Remember to keep out of areas that are posted “closed”.

photo credit: Mike Matulovich

{ 11 comments }

1 MC Rider September 13, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Monday, may be a good day to take a bike ride and see up close the aftermath.

2 claycord-biker September 13, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Anxious to bike to the summit!

3 Felino September 13, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Darn, no quick bike ride up to the Junction this week-end!!!

4 Bob Brittain September 13, 2013 at 2:28 PM

I have gone out to take photos after a few previous fires in the area. I have allergies to quite a few plants and it hits my sinuses hard to tour the burned areas. Be advised.

5 Well... September 13, 2013 at 2:30 PM

There will be tarantulas out. I will wait until winter. I would love to be a volunteer to help replant but I can’t bring myself to go on the mountain until after Oct.

6 Dragon September 13, 2013 at 2:39 PM

800,000? That’s amazing.

(@Well…, I’m right there with ya.)

7 concord resident September 13, 2013 at 4:27 PM

I hope they don’t close all the burned out areas permanently… the fire has opened up parts of that mountain that are normally inaccessible and will be again in a couple years…

8 Katie September 13, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Does anyone know if the regency entrance and nearby trails are or will be open tomorrow (sat)?

9 concord/clayton resident September 13, 2013 at 4:59 PM

A little smoky outside.Never had any during the height of the fire. must the the way the wind’s blowing?

10 The entire park will be closed this weekend September 13, 2013 at 6:42 PM

In answer to the question about Regency Gate, the entire park will be closed this weekend. The public’s assistance in staying out of the park this weekend will free up several State Park employees to concentrate on cleanup, assessing and securing burnt and dangerous areas, assessing what needs to be replaced, transporting supplies and equipment quickly, and working as quickly as possible to try to get the park ready for Monday’s opening. Uniformed personnel will be in the Mitchell Canyon/Regency/Donner Canyon areas throughout the weekend, ensuring the closure.

11 Wilma September 14, 2013 at 3:37 AM

Well, there goes my hiking plans for the weekend. Just boring hum drum stuff. ♫♩♫♩♩♬♬♪