Concord Looks to Ban Aggressive & “Captive Audience” Panhandling

September 12, 2013 13:43 pm · 100 comments

The City of Concord’s Council Committee on Policy Development & Internal Operations will hold a special meeting to discuss the banning of aggressive & captive audience panhandling throughout the city.

According to the staff report, “staff is recommending that this Council Committee consider an ordinance prohibiting aggressive panhandling throughout the City, and also prohibiting panhandling (solicitation) of any kind in certain key locations—such as Automatic Teller Machines (ATMs), seating sections of restaurants, retail business entranceways, and public transportation stops—where the targets are placed in a “captive audience” setting.”

While the Concord Police Department does not maintain statistics on aggressive panhandling, during Fiscal Year 2012-13, the Department received a total of 1,928 homeless-related calls for service, and of that number, an estimated 15-20 percent of those calls involved some type of panhandling complaint.

The City’s top locations for panhandling-related complaints are:

1. Safeway (Willow Pass Rd.)
  2. Todos Santos Plaza
  3. Park N Shop
  4. Food Maxx (Clayton Rd.)
  5. Staples (Treat Blvd.)

The City says “aggressive panhandling directed at residents and visitors to the City of Concord unquestionably threatens their safety and welfare. Aggressive panhandling also undermines the public’s inherent right to use and enjoy public places without being accosted by persons demanding money or goods in a forceful manner. The actions of aggressive panhandlers likewise can create a climate of intimidation and anxiety among members of the public, who when confronted legitimately fear harm if they refuse to give in to the solicitations of individuals engaged in this type of conduct.”

Panhandling has been deemed by both state and federal courts as protected expressive activity under the First Amendment and the “liberty of speech” provisions of the California Constitution. Nevertheless, in 2000 the California Supreme Court held that limited, content neutral local bans on aggressive panhandling and captive audience solicitation constitute reasonable time, place and manner restrictions, and therefore are lawful.

Under the proposed ordinance, panhandling of any nature, aggressive or otherwise, would with certain exceptions be barred in the following “captive audience” locations:

• Within 25 feet of an ATM at any time when it is available for public use, or any bank, savings and loan association, credit union, check cashing business or similar retail financial business during its business hours.
  • Within 15 feet of any entrance into or exit from any building open to the public, unless the authorized owner, manager, or supervisor of the business operating at the building grants permission to panhandle within the restricted area
  • Within 25 feet of any designated or posted public transportation vehicle stop.
  • In any outdoor or indoor dining area of a restaurant or other establishment serving food for immediate consumption if the person panhandling remains there after being asked to leave by the owner, manager, or supervisor (or their agent) of the restaurant or other food establishment, or by a peace officer, acting at the request of any of the persons specified above.
  • In any parking lot or parking structure after dark (one half hour after sunset to one-half hour before sunrise).
  • In any public place after dark.

In terms of enforcement, staff suggests that violations of the proposed ordinance be punished as an infraction with a sliding fine schedule, depending upon the number of violations within a given period. Above a certain number of violations (three violations by the same individual), the offending individual would be charged with a misdemeanor.

The meeting will be held on Monday September 16th at 5:30pm in the City Manager’s Conference Room.

If approved, the proposed ordinance would then go to the City Council for approval.

{ 100 comments }

1 unknown September 12, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Please clean up our city. I feel sorry for them, but letting them run loose all over city, just lower the standard of living for everyone.
I do not feel safe, plus parts of Concord already look like skid row.

2 Rollingeyes September 12, 2013 at 1:52 PM

I personal do not like panhandlers but with that said i do not give then any of my time much less my money. This has been going on for years and why are Concordians being such snobs that they want to BAN this? ATMs? Bus stop? That i can see but we are not being held “captive” at the grocery store. Its because they do not want to say NO and then want to pick up the phone and have someone else be the bad guy. Grow some …. Courage people!

3 Winston September 12, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Sounds like a good idea to me. How wasn’t this done 15 years ago?

4 Mindy September 12, 2013 at 2:04 PM

This is a good idea. There is this one lady who I see everywhere in Concord. She is not afraid to walk rite up to you and ask for money, when you say “sorry I can’t help you” she then asks for any change. I mostly see her at Safeway on Clayton and Treat. I know they are struggling but isn’t everyone? I hope they can get help from Cash Aid, food stamps, food banks and shelters.

5 notme September 12, 2013 at 2:05 PM

OK so who’s going to enforce this………..

6 old concord September 12, 2013 at 2:05 PM

If the panhandler is homeless and out of work . Being unable to pay a fine what is the next step to justice ? Housing them at tax payers expense ? The businesses need to step up and secure their own shopping areas . If you don’t feel safe shopping there try to think of other choices .

7 Truth September 12, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Can we also give the pan handlers bus tickets out of town? Say to Reno? Nevada has been dumping their bums on CA in this way for years.

8 The Mamba September 12, 2013 at 2:10 PM

How do you fine someone that doesn’t have anything?

9 Anon September 12, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Can we add every stop light and off ramp?

10 CALI September 12, 2013 at 2:17 PM

You forgot Bonfare on Grant St. I stopped going there because of the aggressive Meth using panhandlers. I’d rather pay more and get gas at Valero & buy snacks at Solano Market. Also the 242 freeway exit (Grant) & enterance under the freeway.ANNOYING!

11 itsme September 12, 2013 at 2:17 PM

I think it should be banned in any parking lot at all times. I’ve had men walk up to me while getting in my car and it is quite frightening!

12 CALI September 12, 2013 at 2:21 PM

I recently aked a lady how much money she makes a day & she told me $80 to $200 per day. She also gets public housing & food stamps. Pretty good gig if you ask me.

13 Dylan September 12, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Ban Panhandling Everywhere!

Pull the needle outta yer arm and pick up a goddam mop lazy asswipes!

14 Gnon September 12, 2013 at 2:31 PM

I’m with adding the street signals. I haaaate waiting through a signal to cycle with them staring at my kids and I. Or better yet, when someone pays them and almost causes an accident.

15 Al September 12, 2013 at 2:33 PM

I don’t feel sorry for these people. Panhandling has become a big business. These folks make good money (especially the ones at stop lights). Typically these guys get a few bucks per light cycle. There are probably 25-40 light cycles an hour.

16 Julie September 12, 2013 at 2:45 PM

I’m in favor of this, but do you really think it will do any good? Panhandlers will just ignore the ordinance. If you fine them, they lack the ability to pay.

You notice the complaints aren’t coming from the worst parts of Concord (Monument and Solano).

Oh, well. We live in WC anyway. But I do spend time in Concord.

17 Voice of Reason September 12, 2013 at 2:54 PM

If someone was broke to the point of begging for change, what makes people believe that they will be able to pay the fine or ticket?

Concord’s full of silly laws like this. We got outdoor smoking bans in areas ripe with traffic congestion.

18 Rob September 12, 2013 at 3:00 PM

So – you are going to “fine” people who are begging for money?

And if they don’t pay the fine – perhaps the next level of “brilliance” will be to pay to take them to court and put them in a jail at the cost of thousands of dollars a day for the taxpayers?

By the time all of this gets put into place – the city could have just given money to the panhandlers and probably ended up saving more money they the city will spend with all of this stuff.

19 Will September 12, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Great way of dealing with the home If they were standing still Arrested them for loitering If were moving Arrested them for vagrancy And then drop them off at the city Limit And then that was the middle of nowhere

20 @Rollingeyes #2 September 12, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Spare us. We all have a basic right not to be confronted for cash while going about our daily business. Let’s be real, it’s intrusive. That doesn’t make us snobs or hard asses. Many of us give very generously through our churches and community organizations, much more than the pitiful change the beggars are asking for in front of Safeway or Food4Less. Many of us also donate time to help the hungry at food banks or through community organizations.

How about people who house and feed homeless adult family members or friends out of the goodness of their hearts, and at great expense, to keep them off the street?

It’s hard because so many of us want to help, but the streets are full of con artists and scammers. It’s a fact a lot of this cash goes to buy drugs and booze. I’ve personally heard young people brag that they begged for cash at BART so they could score prescription pills.

So why not give the community some muscle to say no to this scourge? It’s not like it’s the only resource for the hungry and homeless.

21 MC Rider September 12, 2013 at 3:16 PM

I think that Gas Stations should be included in the “captive audience” group. Once you put the fill nozzle in your tank opening you are pretty much stuck there until done filling or getting the prepaid amount.
Fortunately my motor cycle does not take long to fill.

22 Mimi (original) September 12, 2013 at 3:20 PM

OMG! Next thing you know they’ll be banning dog poop from hitting the ground. Make sure you have a fishnet-like thing to catch your dog’s poopy as you take it on a walk!!

23 Selective Shopper September 12, 2013 at 3:20 PM

I certainly avoid shopping at certain stores if I know the panhandlers talk to me as I walk in and out of the store. I stopped going to 99 cents store on Clayton, Staples on Treat and a few other stores too because I just don’t want to have to listen to those guys.

24 Miss Ranchogirl September 12, 2013 at 3:22 PM

I love it – finally a great idea…..
just waiting for all the people to say; but they are only trying to survive…..

25 Concord Mike September 12, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Thank you Concord city council!

Finally we are seeing good efforts by the council and CPD to clean up Concord and curb the riff raff. Horray!

26 Leah September 12, 2013 at 3:27 PM

This is an excellent idea, we live in WC and we need an ordinance to do away these panhandlers. If they are fined, and they have family in the area-their families should pay.

27 Jay R September 12, 2013 at 3:28 PM

For those people who always complains about too much government and too many laws. You should ask for an exemption from this proposed law. We will ask the City of Concord to bring those panhandlers to the place where you live.

28 mike mac September 12, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Another basis for police intervention. i.e. broken tail light, smoking, no seat belt. Usually, a “beat it” or “no” works just fine.

29 Reality says... September 12, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Good! I’m tired of being accosted by the Girl Scouts and Salvation Army when I go to Safeway. I feel unsafe and they are forcing me to buy those cookies which is hazardous to my health.

Thank you CCC for finally looking at ways to improve our city.

30 Get Outta My Face September 12, 2013 at 4:09 PM

I stopped shopping at CVS next to Staples because of the panhandler that is always there with his rickety TV tray. Now I see him at FoodMaxx on Clayton right next to the police substation. I drive to other businesses that do not allow this disgusting behavior. I hope there is still time to save Clayton Rd. They should be put on road clean-up crews as far out on the outskirts of the City as possible and left there since they have no address to be taken back to. A one-way bus ticket to a relative (out-of-town) sounds like a viable option.

31 Fig Newton September 12, 2013 at 4:10 PM

That skinny white girl who always works Meadow Lane is the most annoying panhandler! CPD has talked to her before, she just don’t get it,, she is not permitted to work the Median on Oak Grove and Monument! I never give out anything to these people,,they made their own choice! I’m thrilled this new law will eliminate this kind of behavior!

32 Shulla September 12, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Also a woman begging for your change at the Gas Station next to BigO tires on Clayton Rd. They are EVERYWHERE on Clayton Rd.

33 anonanonagain September 12, 2013 at 4:17 PM

I have great compassion for the poor and the homeless. But having to be accosted aggressively by someone asking for money grinds my gears. I had someone approach me and when I said that I was trying to make a living too, they swore at me. There are plenty of outreach programs and services available. This has become a lucrative way to make money for some, especially when you see them climb into a new model vehicle after begging near an on ramp…….

34 Random Task September 12, 2013 at 4:20 PM

OK so let me get this straight …..so staff ( who ever that is ) is telling a committee on policy and internal operations ….to do this …so it can then go to the council ….to be voted down ………so where exactly does anyone in the city get to have a say in this ( as in vote ) and if you say at the council meeting ….than you are the reason why 3 obvious waste of time and money entities are deciding what we do day in and day out and we have no say accept to show up at a city council meeting only to be sent away with…..”well we the council say you do not know what you want so we shall decide for you”….. now wonder why this state has fallen so behind…..needing 30 people in 3 different “cliques” to toil in waste and red tape………. North Korea functions better than that …….wow this state has gone down the dem rabbit hole and is now stuck in a spiral of organization after organization grabbing power and wielding it like a bunch of 13 year of hoodlums …….Lord Of The Flies …much …..wow this state is so doomed now wonder why its in the toilet……..waste and 7 committees just to put up a street sign ……WOW…..now wonder why they are stealing all our tax dollars you throw your head under the covers and hope the council says you can come out each day .

35 Anon September 12, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Don’t overlook the fact that these people really dont want to go to jail. They are almost all addicts and it’s not easy to get dope in jail.

36 And The Answer IS September 12, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Do some research, which seems city council can’t, of the five sites mentioned in the article is there a recycling facility within 1 to 1 1/2 miles?
State legislature provided a CASH incentive to recycle beverage containers.
Those without a steady income are just taking advantage of what progressive liberals set up.
If a recycling center were to move would the panhandling problem move?
Ask Concord PD officers their candid off the record opinion.

37 minx September 12, 2013 at 4:35 PM

This is an outstanding ordinance-but, really, how are they going to enforce it. Can you imagine the cost that would incur. Does concord really have the budget for this?

38 Rick September 12, 2013 at 4:35 PM

I just ignore them, and go about my business.

It’s no big deal to me. I rarely get asked anyway. I don’t make eye contact.

39 martinezdad September 12, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Went to Popeye’s in Pittsburg with the wife and 8-year-old only to have some turd approach us while we ate our food. Told him to go away and he threatened to kick my ass while conveniently staying out of arms reach. Told me he was some kind of tough guy who had been in prison. Scared my son to death. I knew he was bluffing but still sucked.

I’ve run into this issue in Vallejo at the Arby’s drive through as well. It can get worse if you don’t address the problerm.

40 Concordian September 12, 2013 at 4:50 PM

What I get annoyed with, are the “charity” folks who aren’t really collecting for a charity. They post themselves outside of businesses, in hopes that folks will “contribute”. If these people were legit, then direct them towards the nearest United Way office. I called the UW years ago, asking “Is there a charity that’s too small for you folks?” and their answer was “No.”. That being the case, then these so-called “charities” that are outside of businesses, are in reality “THIEVES”. Get rid of them!!

41 LostBoysMom September 12, 2013 at 4:52 PM

I agree with the posters that mention the panhandlers on the medians. It is not only annoying when you are stopped right next to them but it’s a safety hazard. All one of them has to do is fall and get hit and the driver gets sued!

42 Chris September 12, 2013 at 4:58 PM

I am sitting here reading this after having my wife harassed and threatened in the food max shopping center. She works at a business there, and there is a sub station there that while cop cars are out front they don’t ever unlock or answer there door!! Anyway one particular homeless person has been harassing her for awhile now, not just for $$ but rude sexual comments have been made as she tries to sit outside and enjoy lunch. Three days ago she finally tells him where to go, tries to get help from sub station, they say well we can’t do anything till he breaks a law!! Next day he walks past her mumbling something, she tries to ignore and sits down at DQ directly facing her and starts talking about how he will take a Hit out on her and how he doesn’t need to he will do it himself!! She felt extremely threatened as do I for my wife!! The police once again say, well how do you know he was talking about you?? Well I guess I’ll be going to jail Saturday when she returns to work as I’ve had it and am gonna deal with it myself!! Thanks CPD!! I love how you avoid doing your job for us hardworking citizens. I could state names of officers, but I won’t yet!! Premeditated protection of my wife against threats!! Hell Ya!! I don’t have a criminal record, but I think I will soon :(

43 anon September 12, 2013 at 5:00 PM

CPD took the School Resource Officers away from the schools to go after the drunks, druggies and panhandlers. I guess that’s more important than our children’s safety.

44 Atticus Thraxx September 12, 2013 at 5:06 PM

I like the concept but I can’t get behind anything that would interfere with the Salvation Army and the Girls Scouts fund raising. And that’s the way it reads to me.

45 Neighbor September 12, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Good but I doubt anything will be done. I hate going to CVS on Clayton by the Bart station. I only go for my prescriptions and use the drive thru. The shady characters that hang out there are scary.

46 @Random Task September 12, 2013 at 5:13 PM

you have no freakin clue how Concord govt works. The Council setup this committee to address these issues so they could be brought to them and addressed in a legal way. And if the Chief is supporting it, it will pass.

47 The Theorist September 12, 2013 at 5:16 PM

And…. welcome to the CCCP!
Concord City Council Republic
Dasvidania, Comrades.

More feel good legislation (just like Sacramento) to divert attention away from the economic situation. So who wants to bet the “temporary” sales tax will be renewed (in the interest of “stability” in light of the economic climate… read as political BS) in 2015. We ain’t got no money for street repairs… but plenty for art projects and recycle thieves.

48 MadMom September 12, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Yes. And as mentioned before, intersections and freeway on ramp areas. Really annoying.

49 Tina September 12, 2013 at 5:26 PM

To Chris – first of all, the sub station has been closed to the public for 3 years, so that is the reason that you get no response. The officers only come and go to do reports and use the bathroom.

Do the cops know who this guy is, and if so, perhaps they can be on the look-out when they are coming and going. Your wife would need to make a formal complaint against him in order for them to follow up. She would need to give specifics, such as date, time, and what he said to her. Things need to be on record in order for cops to take action; word-of-mouth doesn’t amount to anything.

50 Just Sayn September 12, 2013 at 5:37 PM

“Sorry dispatch, can’t get to that panhandling
complaint, we are in pursuit of a smoker in
or near Todos Santos Park,code three”,

51 Richardsfamily September 12, 2013 at 5:49 PM

I call all the time and report panhandlers, I already thought it was on the books So it has been enforced for years already.

This is a great idea, let the negative nancy say what they will but I for one think this is a great idea.

52 minx September 12, 2013 at 5:59 PM

@The Theorist
In all seriousness, that was my question. The ordinance sounds good-but does it really make any sense?

53 ChampagneKitty September 12, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Please check out this program that the city of Concord has to address panhandlers: http://www.change4realchange.org

54 Chris September 12, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Tina. Yes they know him!! after they talked to him the following day is when threats were made!! I don’t know how formal a complaint you have to make for them to stop making excuses like you are for them!! Thanks for your concern ;)

55 Ernie September 12, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Some of the comments here are beyond what I expected out of those living in the area. These panhandlers–all over these days, like SF, San Jose, Oakland, Berkeley,you name it–aren’t doing it for want of food, but for their fixes, alchohol, etc. They get their food at the food banks and other places that keep handing it out, while everyone else works for a living. These crackheads, dopeheads, winos, etc. are out for the easiest buck they can get and until people stop giving to them, they’ll continue to be around. Too bad they don’t get a little tighter at the council chambers and as for the 1st Admendment cop-out, I just shake my head on being expressive! Guess spreading their poop on doorknobs is self-expression, ‘eh? Dumb, dumb, dumb!

56 minx September 12, 2013 at 6:28 PM

@Chris
That’s horrible, I would hope that my husband would do nothing less.

57 ajh5150 September 12, 2013 at 7:09 PM

How come Walnut Creek doesnt have this problem?

58 Please September 12, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Concord please pass these ordinance’s I have been living here for 13 years and it sucks!

59 Stopping giving September 12, 2013 at 7:35 PM

If people would just stop giving $$ to these people they would go away. Supply and demand, if you continue to keep supplying them with $$ then of course they’re going to keep demanding it.
Get Smart people, put that $$ in your children’s piggy bank. Carry a nutrition bar and give them that instead, or just ignore them all together.
If you want to teach your children about homeless people take them to a kitchen and let them volunteer, or give to the food bank.

60 Stupid September 12, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Panhandling is already illegal. Why don’t they just enforce the existing laws? Oh that’s right they don’t care. And what about the stupid people that continue to give money to these drug addicts. Because it makes the giver feel good. Well guess what, your not helping them your enabling them.

61 Get a Clue September 12, 2013 at 8:35 PM

@ Chris-42

Your wife shouldn’t be harassed while she’s eating lunch, or doing anything else. But if the guy won’t leave, and the cops are no help, tell her to eat lunch elsewhere!

Common sense!!!

62 anon September 12, 2013 at 9:22 PM

panhandling shouldn’t be allowed period. I’m sick and tired of trying to do banking and errands in downtown concord just to be constantly hassled by bums outside of Comcast, by the BofA teller, Vinnies, you name, bums are there. That stupid Church where they sit on the steps. Concord has really become a skum bucket in the last couple of years. It was a great place ot live in the 90′s but it SUCKS the big limp dickey now.. eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

63 anon September 12, 2013 at 9:25 PM

@Chris, yes Food Maxx and the76 Station are horrible; people are there trying to score drugs or are jonesing trying to score drugs or are just messed up hanging out there. I like Food Max but don’t shop there that much because Concord won’t do anything about that lot. Same pandhandlers day in and day out.

64 anon September 12, 2013 at 9:27 PM

@champagne Kitty:

How about the homeless help themselves. I’m tired of these stupid articles about these pathetic drug addicts and alkies, most of whom could work if they applied themselves to something besides drinking and drugging.

65 Angelica September 12, 2013 at 9:59 PM

We live in WC, but we spend time in Concord.

I’m never asked for money. I don’t make eye contact. Whether I’m with my husband, my kids or my friends, nobody asks.

I realize aggressive panhandlers are out there, but avoidance helps. If you see someone with a sign, and you’re driving, role up the window. While walking by, look the other way. If you’re asked, and you don’t want to give, smile and shake your head no. Don’t engage in conversation. And don’t ignore the person. It might anger them, and it could get worse.

66 ms. litella September 12, 2013 at 10:09 PM

i’m sure these guys are going to stay 25′ away from atm’s etc. just like the smokers always stay 20′ away from entrances to stores.
p.s. these people are such experts on pitifulness, so i usually have a crisis or two in mind to stop them in their tracks. it doesnt matter that my dad died 3 years ago or my cat died last year. they still died.

67 minx September 12, 2013 at 10:12 PM

@Get a Clue
She has a right to eat lunch where she dam well pleases; But no one has the right to accost or harass her just because they felt the need to. If this happened to me, I would tell my husband and he damn well better do something about it.

68 csb September 12, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Can’t stand the panhandlers at the on ramps!!! Everyone has a cell phone….call the police when you see them! Call the police when you see them at any of the “hot spots” listed otherwise.
Next time you are away from our city visiting another, notice how many homeless and panhandlers you DON’T see. Most other Cities implement and enforce the law. Not tolerated! Take a look at the river banks that run thru our city, its disgusting and unsanitary the living conditions there.

69 Cowellian September 12, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Sorry Minx, but there are some people on Claycord who think that the bums should have more rights than you do.

70 Chuckie's Wife September 12, 2013 at 10:57 PM

If no one gave them money, they wouldn’t be there. And what is “aggressive” panhandling? I didn’t see a definition.

I think the whole thing is stupid – unenforcable in the first place, and uhm, pray tell, how will the police collect the fine? Panhandlers tend not to have a lot of money on them, unless they’re fakes, in which case they should be charged with fraud, not aggressive panhandling.

The cost/benefit analysis is also missing. Do we reallly reap a considerable benefit from having this law on the books? How much will it cost the city to process all the cases?

71 Random Task September 12, 2013 at 10:59 PM

so 7 committees have to be formed to get one thing done that is the way it works ……..wow yes I must not know ….it is in front of my face that 30 people from several different groups all do the same thing to reach one goal ( nothing of course ) yeah wow waste of time and money yeah I do not get it …….you must because you obvious voted to keep the dems in control of demifornia and now what it is obviously awesome with bums and gangs flooding in as well as illegals flooding the system with 7 kids and no job ….me work for food signs are not nice but me sit at our section 8 home and make more and more babies so i can get more free money is ok with you …obviously you keep voting in the dems which obviously is working ..I mean demifornia is the leading state in corruption and kickbacks as willie brown just bought his name onto the bay bridge with our tax money yeah those dems know how to work the system

72 minx September 12, 2013 at 11:01 PM

@Cowellian
It is a sad world we live in-the mind set of people, until it involves someone close to them.

73 minx September 12, 2013 at 11:02 PM

@Cowellian
It is a sad world we live in-the mind set of people, until it involves someone close to them, then their minds will change. But until then….

74 Shelley September 12, 2013 at 11:08 PM

@ minx-67

She does have a right to eat lunch where she pleases. And if nothing is done to the person harassing her, she will CONTINUE TO BE HARRASSED!

Wise up!

75 minx September 12, 2013 at 11:24 PM

@Shelley
Approach a police office and threaten to do them bodily harm and see if you don’t straight to jail. That woman has the same right as the police officer. Maybe one day you will be able to comprehend this concept.

76 Chris September 13, 2013 at 12:13 AM

I guess she and I need to wise up and cower down to the crazy people that control Concord. No sunshine for you sweetie. Pay for your lunch and run back to the break room!! Thanks man without you I never would have got a clue..

77 Richardsfamily September 13, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Walnut Creek has them all over too. Next to Pottery Barn there was a lady and her son begging for money and the Olympic on and off ramp has them in droves, as well as Mt Diablo Blvd.

Chuckies Wife, really Cost Benefit Analysis? Since when does any law fit a
Macoencomic model, sometime is just about changing behavior not reaping a net gain.

Random Task.. not everything is political. I am taking the assumption that you lean to the right (by your comments) So, by your example states that are Republican controlled have no bums……..uh, that’s false. This like 98 percent of our life is not political, unfortunately Both you Rep and Dems keep insisting it is only to find egg on your face time and time again.

I for one am in the Make Concord Better Camp and you negative trolls can say whatever you want, cause I or the good people of Concord don’t really care. We will make Concord a great place to live, with or without you…..

78 Anon September 13, 2013 at 1:32 AM

I work on willow pass and sometimes feel I am in danger once I walk out to my car after work. I have been chased and yelled at by some before and then the next person she chased a minute later she started hitting. I think that they should enforce something like this is would be much appreciated!

79 anon September 13, 2013 at 5:50 AM

CPD doesn’t want to be tied up with minor crimes. The want to be available for the next shooting or murder.

80 Raisin Barr September 13, 2013 at 8:24 AM

I think that the panhandling problem on properties owned by businesses in Contra Costa, should be fixed by those business owners. Take for instance the Food Max center on Clayton Road. This is private property. Identify those individuals that continually harass the customers and file a trespassing or a restraining order against them. Period. Simple! Just because someone is “homeless” doesn’t give them the right to interfere with our rights. These people need to be brought before a judge. When they are brought to the judge, this needs to happen at an evening court, so the people who are being harassed can attend and voice their concerns. It would give all of us an insight as to which judges are not enforcing the existing laws. If needed, we could pressure these judges. By having smaller infractions, like this in the evenings, closer to the communities where they happen, we are allowed to participate.
@Random Task – It would be helpful if you could move your posts to the Politics thread. Or check your medications!

81 mrs g September 13, 2013 at 8:35 AM

I had an aggressive panhandler startle me when I was getting gas. I pulled my car up to the pump, leaned over to grab my wallet, and when I opened the door and stepped out of my car, he was standing right in front of me, essentially blocking me between him, the pump and my car door. He asked if I had any cash, to which I said no, and he walked away. It was a very scary encounter. This was in the middle of the day. Needless to say I’ll be much more vigilant before exiting my car at gas stations from now on.

82 Business_License September 13, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Make Panhandlers get a “Business license”.

No license, no panhandling.

Business licenses cost money. And businesses have to follow rules and regulations.

And money rec’d has to have tax paid on it.

83 BCuzItzClaycord September 13, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Minx – Really??????? “Tell my husband and he better do something about it”???????? That is what I “love”about California (yes folks sarcasm)…whimpy women that can’t take care of themselves. Me…………forget telling the husband, I deal with it myself. Women around here need to freakin grow a pair.

84 Senior Citizen September 13, 2013 at 8:54 AM

They need to include Safeway on Clayton and Dekenger. There is a guy on a bike who is stealthy, sneaks up on you from behind and asks for money. He also works the other areas on Clayton Road.

85 bird September 13, 2013 at 9:49 AM

@anon
My husband was a police officer, he worked in a crime ridden city where violent crimes were about 40% of the total crime in the area. In claycord, shootings are less than 1% of the total crimes committed. What are you saying about the police force? They should stand around and do nothing while “minor” crime occurs? What you said was truly appalling and disgraceful.

86 @ CHRIS September 13, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Unfortunately, I can empathize w/ you regarding CPD. I have been told there reputation has tarnished. In my opinion, They used to be a great dept.
@ GET A CLUE you are an idiot. His wife (someone who actually work hard for a living) shouldnt have to hide out on her lunch break because a drug addict is intimidating and harrassing her. He threatened to have her killed. Clearly, you dont know what common sense mean because you have none.

87 Connie Dobbs September 13, 2013 at 10:35 AM

#83 wants a woman he can hide behind, not one he has to defend.

88 Grouchy Face September 13, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Because that’s the way you Mercer Island lovelies do things, am I right?

89 Grouchy Face September 13, 2013 at 11:41 AM

previous comment meant for #83

90 Jilly September 13, 2013 at 11:43 AM

They do stories on these people, time after time, and still people feed their habits. THEY used it for DRUGS and ALCOHOL people. Get the clue!!

91 Rick September 13, 2013 at 12:07 PM

@ Minx-75

Shelley didn’t say anything about threatening a police officer. She suggested the woman eat lunch elsewhere so she’s not harassed.

It’s good advice. You’re not the sharpest tool in the shed.

92 BCuzItzClaycord September 13, 2013 at 12:24 PM

He Connie – I’m #83 and female…………..I
Grouchy – we take care of ourselves because you can’t count on someone else alway being around………..Survival of the fittest and all

93 Connie Dobbs September 13, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Congratulations on your girl parts. Some women choose a mate based upon his ability to defend them, even if it’s only from moths. Why does that offend you?

94 @random September 13, 2013 at 1:08 PM

so when are you leaving? My God, your blood pressure must be threw the roof…

95 Mr. John September 13, 2013 at 1:09 PM

I support strong anti-panhandling laws for Concord. Don’t get me wrong – I believe in charity and assisting those in need. However, panhandling is not the way to provide that assistance. There are too many negative situations that arise during panhandling activities. If we want to provide assistance, there are proactive ways we can go about making that assistance happen without the risks associated with panhandling.

96 Realist September 13, 2013 at 2:02 PM

It occurs to me that if we had not abdicated the second ammendment in this state we would not need to be afraid of unfortunate people out there trying to survive. An armed society is a polite society.

That said, it is typical to wave the ban stick when other people are engaged in activities we the majority don’t -like-..

So.. if you folks are getting tired of having your rights stripped away, stop trying to take them away from others.

97 anon September 13, 2013 at 2:35 PM

panhandlers should be pay taxes. i saw an old lady panhandling in SF, you shoudl see the wad of cash she pulled out of her little paper lunch sack. she makes more panhandling that i do working my rear off for attorneys all day long.

98 Kevin Mackay September 14, 2013 at 3:00 AM

I think that this is a great idea. Especially due to the fact that so many things could go wrong during an encounter with a panhandler. If I want to make a donation to help the less fortunate then I will donate to a legit charity rather than some random person on the street.

99 ZUZU PETALS September 16, 2013 at 5:07 PM

I try to buy gift cards to BURGER KING OR MCDONALDS or any fast food and keep them with me to pass out if they ask for food. I NEVER GIVE MONEY!!!

100 Jules September 16, 2013 at 7:48 PM

There have been documentaries on these panhandlers in many cities. Guess what, they make upwards of $50.00 / hour. Last I checked, that is big bucks – over $100,000 / year if they are doing it regularly. It is documented that they are feeding their habit. Drugs / alcohol.