CoCo County: $700,000 in Federal Funds Awarded to Assist Violence and Human Trafficing Victims

September 12, 2013 22:56 pm · 43 comments

Two organizations that work to assist victims of violence and human trafficking in Contra Costa County have been awarded $700,000 in federal funds this week, according to a U.S. Congressman.

U.S. Rep. George Miller, D-Contra Costa County, said $400,000 of the grant will go to the Contra Costa County Employment and Human Services Department and $300,000 will go to STAND! For Families Free of Violence.

The U.S. Department of Justice Office of Victims of Crime and the Office on Violence Against Women awarded the grants.

“The investments we make in these programs today will pay dividends for years to come in a safer, less violent community for all residents,” Miller said in a statement this week.

The Contra Costa County Employment and Human Services Department plans to use the funds to provide high-quality comprehensive services to victims of human trafficking, as well as bolster interagency coordination to provide services to victims, according to Miller.

Gloria J. Sandoval, the CEO of STAND! For Families Free of Violence, said the funds awarded to her organization would provide safe housing for women and children who have been victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, dating violence and stalking.

Sandoval said the funds will be used to help individuals and families identify educational, vocational and permanent housing opportunities. The funds will also provide specialized case management and support to victims in the community.

According to Sandoval, the award comes at a time when funding for supportive services has declined sharply.

© 2013 by Bay City News, Inc. — Republication, Rebroadcast or any other Reuse without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.

{ 43 comments }

1 teri September 12, 2013 at 11:35 PM

If that quote is correct, Gloria J. Sandoval completely disregarded half the victims of domestic violence, men. I heard that STAND has become more inclusive over the years. But that sure doesn’t sound like it.

2 Bubba September 12, 2013 at 11:55 PM

And “WHERE” are these “FUNDS” coming from?
Two guesses……..You and Me! Poopbutt Miller. :(

3 J. September 12, 2013 at 11:58 PM

As a battered-man I take umbrage at the misandrist shown in this grant.

4 The Mamba September 13, 2013 at 7:02 AM

Human trafficking victims are hookers everyone.

5 Mongoose September 13, 2013 at 7:42 AM

More of OUR money down a rat hole.

6 It's not forever September 13, 2013 at 7:48 AM

Spend the 700K wisely and for good cause. But do not set it up services expecting 700K a year every year from the general tax base. WE DON”T HAVE THE MONEY FOR BASIC SERVICES like Schools, Police and fire.

Thanks.

7 Salary September 13, 2013 at 8:29 AM

And how much is Gloria J. Sandoval, the CEO of STAND, paid?

> Office on Violence Against Women

This is sexist and discriminatory; UNless there is an “Office on Violence Against Men.

Equality is great…except when it isn’t.

8 Jojo Potato September 13, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Bringing home the bacon.

9 What Security September 13, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Money is well spent. Obviously none of you ever worked with people who were forced into this ugly business… .

it’s money well spent. We have to go after these slime ballls and put in them prison for a long time so they can be swapped around like a pack of cigarettes.

I’ve seen the young girls of Concord and they are sweet and innocent. God forbid they run away or get caught up in the trade.

The perp come to suburbs for their victims, drug them, beat them and the sell them off. and then it’s game over.

10 Anon September 13, 2013 at 9:10 AM

I don’t understand where we have the money for this but keep talking about sequestration? $700K for us must mean $700K all over the country (unless we’re worse?)

11 Shelley September 13, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Cry me a river! And how often are men victims of domestic violence? And how many women can beat the living crap out of men? And how often do they?

Yes, I guess men can be victims. And white people are victims of severe racism too……

12 jets September 13, 2013 at 10:31 AM

there would be more money if the county would quit wasting it on the so called county leaders who should retire and attempt a pull up or run a mile before stroke a hits.

13 What Security September 13, 2013 at 10:35 AM

These are the same people who say a woman can self abort and stop rape by crossing their legs. You know the sad thing is they actually believe it.

14 Annon September 13, 2013 at 10:38 AM

There is still NOT enough being done on domestic violence, and when a woman goes into the court and mediation, has a restraining order, the court date may have so many people there that they try to have people drop restraining orders, go into groups and work out mediation papers together, and if they think the judge is going to sign them that day, they are given false information…leaving women a children at risk……my daughter called 911 yesterday from a supervised visit, she was supervising her ex, with their son, 2 and a half, at Dave Brubeck Park, it became obvious he was drunk and or on drugs, he entered his car, she gave the lic#, make of car and address where he was and going….no one showed, not sure if anyone actually went out on the call….there is a letter in to the city of concord and cpd…..He has had previous DUI and he has been to DVR where he put on one of his worksheets that besides alcohol, heroin was his drug of choice. This is why women and children die when it can be prevented.

15 Craig September 13, 2013 at 10:54 AM

I’m not too concerned about men being victims of domestic violence.

I am concerned about the ladies.

No way are “half the victims men.” It’s ridiculous!

16 Anononymous September 13, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Of course Miller does not show up to vote in Congress anymore, which was exposed by SFChronicle.

17 Horse'n Around September 13, 2013 at 11:59 AM

What is frustrating to the police is that if a woman calls 911 and say’s her husband hit her, and she wants them to send someone out. What she really wants is just someone there to be a referee and a councilor for her. Because if the police see any marks on her, then by law they have to take the husband away. Then you hear them screaming ‘ No I don’t want him to go to jail!” I’m sorry, I love you!” It’s just a waste of time for the police. She’ll take him back and it will start all over again. I was in an abusive relationship once. All it took was one time. I left and never looked back. Women need to stand up for themselves! You don’t need a man who abuses you. You and your kids would be better off. Be strong!

18 Mitch September 13, 2013 at 12:48 PM

It is NOT a waste of time for the police to show up on a domestic violence call. It could save her life.

19 Annon September 13, 2013 at 12:51 PM

With out a doubt, you do not know anyone, who has been in this situation@HorsenAround. I doubt seriously you left after one time…if you did, you had money to take care of yourself and another home to go.When the police do come out often they do not look at the situation with open eyes…its just another couples fight…..they should see if drugs, alcohol, signs of abuse, kids in house where are they????????????????/

20 Horse'n Around September 13, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Sorry Annon. But I did leave! What part of my statement did you not read? Are you saying they should stay there and take it? You don’t have to have money to leave. Sounds like you’re one of those women who chose to stay in an abusive relationship. I’m strong! And I want these women to be strong. You CAN leave! You don’t need money. There are places for women to go with their children. But what makes me mad is the women who call the police time after time and keep taking the abuser back. That’s what I’m trying to say when I said it’s a waste of the officers time.

21 VikingPrincess September 13, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Perhaps a program for victims advocate, liaison to law enforcement, court system, public and mental health will be started. DV is not black and white. Only so much the law can do. Yes, many deny, no show and go back on their word. Its part of the illness..children are victims, shrapnel and should not be exposed.
Human trafficking is prevalent with foreign nationals who have their papers taken away and put to work without pay. Could be work anywhere -

22 FirstW September 13, 2013 at 5:49 PM

@viking princess— They do have such a program it’s called the Contra Costa County Victim Assistance Center. It has about 5 employees who serve the entire county. It is very undervalued and underfunded.

23 teri September 13, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Shelley, #11: ACTUALLY, men are victims of domestic violence in greater numbers than women, when you count every type of abuse. Half of all physical abuse is mutual, and of the one-way abuse, women are perpetrators 2/3 of the time. Most people don’t realize that the #1 cause of a woman getting hit by a man is that she hit him first. Also, women commit the most verbal abuse, as well as the most child abuse.

The same gender-biased people who named this bill have been fighting for decades to deny male victims. Sure, they added a non-discrimination clause, after my friends sued an abuse shelter here in CA.. Women’s groups (gender feminists) have always fought against making sure abused men are treated equally, (there is no guarantee the federal funds will help both genders) so VERY FEW shelters accept abused men.

Another friend of mine wrote the first book ever on abused men. According to him, men batter, but women throw things, including scalding liquids. Or they use weapons. And they often wait until the man is drunk or asleep. I’ve seen tons of articles about women using cars as weapons. You don’t need to be muscle-bound to hurt or kill someone.

I’d be so happy if some of you signed up for our action alerts. http://www.saveservices.org We’ve made progress, but we have a long way to go.

24 @Shelly September 13, 2013 at 6:57 PM

You don’t know what your talking about.

25 Colt September 13, 2013 at 8:03 PM

So is this only money for domestic violence? Because I am a local victim of regular violence, and have desperately been trying to get support. I was outside a friends house one night in a Clayton neighborhood back in 2008, when I was randomly attacked by a gang of around 20 drunken kids armed with blunt weapons. The Concord Police gang unit, said that the “gang” was apparently called the “Bay Hitters” and was made up of Pleasant Hill and Walnut Creek highschoolers. Mainly from De La Salle and College Park Football teams.

These “kids” suddenly surrounded me, hit me in the side of the head with a tire iron from behind, and proceeded to stomp and kick me for around 10 mins before fleeing the scene. The police even caught a few of them who crashed into a fire hydrant down the street. Unfortunately they couldn’t convict any of the people who attacked me, because I had never seen them before, and couldn’t identify “specifically” who hit me in the head from behind. I suffered a compound skull fracture and severe traumatic brain injury from the hit to my head, besides also breaking some bones in my right hand that I used to protect my head while on the ground.

This “gang” has attacked many other helpless local citizens in the years since, and are never caught because they have very locally powerful parents and amazing lawyers. (I won’t name names hear) I was in college then, but couldn’t make it in school anymore for a long time. I have since been trying to get SSI to help support me while I continue my college education, but so far have been denied and made to wait for years, just to get them to make a decision. I can barely handle going to school, and can’t hold a job as of yet. I have no family left to support me anymore, and obviously will never be compensated by the criminals. If this is money for people like me, I would really like to get info on how to get the help. They destroyed my life, but any money really helps me pick up the pieces and move on. I would support my self if I could, and in the future hope to, but at this point I just need help while I continue to recover.

26 Mitch September 13, 2013 at 8:18 PM

@ Teri-(23)

Men are not victims of domestic violence more often than women. I don’t believe women hit men first. Maybe you did.

Let me spell it out to you. MEN ARE TESTOSTERONE DRIVEN!!! Some men have anger management issues, and abuse women, kids, other men, etc.

Domestic violence against women is a serious issue.

I agree with Shelley.

27 Teri Stoddard September 13, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Shelley, quite the contrary. And I’ve got the research to prove it.

If anyone needs information for or about domestic violence victims, this is an excellent website: http://www.stopabuseforeveryone.org

28 Kevin September 13, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Just out of curiosity, I googled the stats on domestic violence against men.

According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics Crime Data Brief, men account for 15% of the victims of intimate partner violence.

15% is hardly more than half, or 2/3.

It sounds like Shelley knows what she’s talking about.

Men overpower women physically. Domestic violence is a serious threat to women. I’m not worried about men.

I’ve never met women or men that have been beaten up. Thank God.

29 Teri Stoddard September 13, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Craig, I’m sorry to break it to you, but those are the facts. Yes, women have 2/3 of the injuries that warrant a visit to the hospital, but most domestic violence is not that severe. Almost all domestic violence, by today’s definitions, is minor, like pushing, throwing something even if it is not towards anyone, and yelling.

In fact, a woman, in many places in America today can simply make up a story, claim fear of a male partner, and with no bruises or cuts, no evidence and no witnesses, take possession of the residence (even if the lease or mortgage is in his name only), assets, and minor children.

And before you disagree, let me tell you that I know many people this has happened to. And it’s not just men who suffer because of bad DV laws.

One of my friends had all of her possessions stolen and sold by her son’s girlfriend, after the girl took control of my friend’s home where she had been staying. The girl had thrown a brick at the son’s windshield, and at him since he was in the car, after he broke up with her. The young man jumped out of the car and started yelling. A neighbor called the police. They arrested the young man for yelling, not the young lady for throwing the brick at him. Then they forced my friend out of her own house, and the girl wiped her clean.

30 Teri Stoddard September 13, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Mitch, I didn’t make this stuff up. This is the largest collection of reliable research on domestic violence: http://www.domesticviolenceresearch.org

Like I said, there has been a decades-long effort to suppress this information.

31 Steve September 13, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Anybody who’s worried about domestic violence against men more than women isn’t dealing with a full deck.

You’re pathetic!

32 Keith September 13, 2013 at 9:18 PM

@ Teri Stoddard (all posts)

“Most domestic violence isn’t that severe?” You’re making excuses for low-life men. Any time a man puts his hand on a woman, he needs to sit in jail and think about what he’s done. It’s always serious.

It sounds like you know some real lowlifes.

You’re not the sharpest tool in the shed. Hang around with a better crowd.

33 minx September 13, 2013 at 10:00 PM

It does happen, more thatn people realize. Many women are the cause of domestic violence. I personally don’t know any of them, but it happens. Society as a whole look to men as the root cause because they are the “bread winners”; while women are supposed to sit at home and cook. In this day and age, this is not the case.

34 teri September 14, 2013 at 1:06 AM

Listen, you don’t have to believe me. You can ignore the research. But you certainly don;t have to be rude. Have a little respect for the Mayor, and for me.

Thank you, Minx.

During one three day period while I was lobbying in DC I had three different staffers tell me that they personally knew three different men who had been abused by women, then the women falsely accused the men of abuse.

35 teri September 14, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Kevin, the 15% stat is commonly used, and it’s inaccurate. There are many myths surrounding DV.

Like the Superbowl Myth. We had an event in DC about that one: “Super Bowl Hoax: The Continuing Distortions About Intimate Partner Abuse.” Christina Hoff Sommers and Philip W. Cook gave presentations. http://www.saveservices.org/dvlp/conference-continuing-distortions-about-intimate-partner-abuse/

36 Antonio September 14, 2013 at 12:16 PM

@ Teri

The LAST thing I’m worried about is domestic violence towards men.

Give me a break! I am concerned for the ladies, for obvious reasons.

Men are physically stronger, and therefore much more of a threat. What part of this don’t you understand? You’re argument is illogical.

37 VikingPrincess September 14, 2013 at 12:54 PM

For those of you who believe that there Are more women causing DV than men and men are the actual victims…I would like to propose you join a new underground cause that is sweeping the nation to protect dogs from the violence of cats. The organization is CDVS (coalition for dogmestic violence survivors)… just Google it up and check your stats. Cats are known to take out Gators let alone Dogs and don’t get me started on what they have done with mice!

38 Sheila September 14, 2013 at 2:35 PM

@ Antonio-36

I can always count on you for common sense!

I’m sure men are occasional victims, but it’s probably more common in male/male relationships than women beating the crap out of men.

I’m more worried about women as well…….

39 Atticus Thraxx September 14, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Viking Princess if you post anything with any attempt at humor or do not follow the proper dogma when domestic violence is mentioned here, you run the risk of hearing from the more rational and reasonable Claycordians. It’s alot to chew on if your not used to it.

40 teri September 14, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Antonio, I’m sure Travis Alexander’s family will be comforted to know that people like you don’t care about male victims, especially after his pissed off girlfriend Jodi Arias stabbed their son nearly 30 times, slit his throat ear-to-ear, and shot him in the head.

41 Antonio September 14, 2013 at 7:41 PM

@ Teri-40

You’re right. I don’t care about Travis Alexander. Did he care about me?

My decision stands. I care about women. PERIOD!

Newsflash—male on male empathy is low. Unless I know the guy, I don’t care!

42 Ashley September 14, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Hey Teri~~~

Blaming the victim (women) will get you nowhere.

If you’re abusing men, perhaps you should stop. If you’re with a man who was abused, work it out with him.

Most domestic violence victims are women. Wake up!

43 VikingPrincess September 15, 2013 at 12:15 AM

I stand strong on the conviction that women are at higher risk. Yes men are victims too, as much as cats attack dogs.