The September 11th Memorial at Clayton Fire Station #11 on Center Street

September 11, 2013 9:00 am · 28 comments

memorial

memorial3

memorial2

memorial4

The memorial for the firefighters and law enforcement officers who were murdered on September 11, 2001 has been set up at Clayton Fire Station #11.

The memorial, located at 6500 Center Street in Clayton, shows a picture and brief description of each firefighter and law enforcement officer killed during the attacks on America in 2001.

You are encouraged to drop by the fire station, walk through the beautiful memorial and read about each firefighter and officer.

{ 28 comments }

1 Shuley September 11, 2013 at 9:39 AM

This is a nice tribute to those lost on Sept 11th. Much better than those attention seeking yahoos on the El Curtola bridge backing up traffic on 24 for miles.

2 Frank Peck September 11, 2013 at 10:05 AM

I can really appreciate all you’ve done to commemorate this unforgettable day in our history. I’ve worked EMS in Contra Costa County, 42 years this Friday. I’d like to take the time to express my appreciation to each and every one of you, who lay your life on the line, to help another. Whether you’re a fire figter, police officer, EMS personnel…it doesn’t matter. Your job is important, and truly appreciated. Thank You. :)

3 Thanks to those who set it up September 11, 2013 at 10:07 AM

I appreciate those who set it up, and the effort involved. Was this set up by the firefighters?

4 Lori September 11, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Love this, what a great tribute for the men and women who gave it all.

Shuley, personally, I would patiently wait in the traffic to honor those brave men and women that gave their lives. What’s a couple of hours compared to what they gave? To each his own I guess.

5 just me September 11, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Always such a great and somber sight each 9/11. I am glad to see they kept it up even with the “closure” of the station. After the Morgan Fire we can be even more thankful for all they do. I love driving through Clayton/Concord and seeing the “thank you firefighters signs all over.” Makes me proud to be a ClayCordian!

6 theBARTNinja September 11, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Amazing to see them put up this tribute even after all they’ve been through this past week with the Morgan Fire. Real heroes.

7 Shuley September 11, 2013 at 10:36 AM

@ Lori – Not everyone, especially those of us with young kids in after school care, have the time to wait in traffic so people can feel better about themselves being patriotic. I embrace people paying tribute to those fallen on 9/11, but the choice to do it on a major freeway overpass is a bad one. It is also unsafe (and technically illegal when they hang signs and banners on the overpass). As an example, the memorial at the Clayton fire station is a humble tribute to firefighters. Be patriotic, remember those fallen – but why not in a park or a peaceful place where you are not negatively effecting the lives of others? It’s an attention grab by the participants, and IMHO, this event is more about the participants than about those we lost on 9/11.

8 Suzette September 11, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Thank you for this wonderful commemoration. It’s absolutely fantastic! :-)

9 gerry September 11, 2013 at 10:41 AM

I was just getting up in Hawaii and the television was on. At first I thought it was a movie, but then I watched the 2nd plane crash into the 2nd tower. I then realized this was not a movie, but actual live film footage of the current disaster.

10 TWatley September 11, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Very nice!!

11 EdiBirsan September 11, 2013 at 11:09 AM

My nephew was a NY Policeman at the time and was called to the Towers on 9/11. Like many he pulled 24+hours straight that day. During which time the family freaked out not hearing from him. When he decided to check in on the next night his response for not calling was…”well I was busy at work.”

He was subsequently injured on the job in a hard take down arrest a few ;years latter, and recently has had a transplant that may be tied to the toxic dust of the collapse. We sometimes forget the long term health consequences that are showing up now over the NYFD/PD and folks that were exposed.

12 Anonymous September 11, 2013 at 11:38 AM

And while the firefighters are setting up memorials, and fighting fire on Mt Diablo, burglars are hitting their empty fire stations..you dont have to go abroad to find truly evil people.

Thanks firefighters- real heros.

13 Dorothy September 11, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Since Face Book owns “Like”, I can “Love” EdiBirsan #11.

“Busy at work” sounds like what a lot of firemen and police say when they can’t take the time to tell others they are still relatively safe and sound.

14 Lori September 11, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Shuley, point taken and I understand your side. I would not be one of the ones showing my support by holding up traffic but I’m not to sure about your statement that they are just attention seekers. I believe the majority of people are out there to show support and love for their country. Selfish? Maybe so, but on a day like today I choose to remember with love and not be annoyed by people showing support in their own way. My patriotism isn’t about making myself feel better it about the love, support, and devotion I have for our country.

15 Jerry September 11, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Stopped at this quiet respectful memorial on the way to work this morning.
I appreciate all of the people who lay it on the line day in and day out!

16 Charles-the-cat September 11, 2013 at 12:47 PM

I’m with Shuley. The demonstration on the overpass is dangerous and narcissistic. The Clayton fire station display gets the point across with dignity. Well done there.

17 All American September 11, 2013 at 1:23 PM

7-11 is giving away free slurpees today. Get’em while they’re cold!!

18 Peanut Gallery September 11, 2013 at 1:49 PM

THANK YOU to those who do it day in and day out. You know who you are and……YOU ARE APPRECIATED…..
Be safe
Be humble
Kiss your wife and kids before heading out the door….

19 Atticus Thraxx September 11, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Shuley again you show yourself to be the selfish, whiny, ungrateful worm I’ve come to know you as on these boards. You throw around terms like “better about themselves being patriotic” because the freedoms you enjoy, have never cost you anything. Hope you spill your bong water all over your skirt.

20 Ashley September 11, 2013 at 2:41 PM

@ Atticus-19

You’re too old to be thinking about “bong water.” But you made me feel younger……

21 Connie Dobbs September 11, 2013 at 3:29 PM

#7 but it’s OK when Code Pink does it.

22 Magic 8 Ball September 11, 2013 at 4:35 PM

@ Atticus Thraxx

Well said.

23 ChampagneKitty September 11, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Edi, there is a story on CNN.com right now about 9/11 first responders now dealing with cancer. Go to the health section of the website.

24 Shuley September 11, 2013 at 11:03 PM

@ Atticus – You don’t know what freedom has cost me. You don’t know me, and I certainly don’t feel that’s a problem for me.
But you are probably partially right. After thinking about it a little, I am probably projecting my own feelings. Even though it is unsafe and selfish of these people to hold their ceremony in a place where their whole mission is to be noticed by people who are driving on a highway, that’s not what bugs me. I am someone who has never sought out attention or has felt the need for others to validate me or my patriotism. I flew a flag on the house today, said a prayer and remembered those lost on 9/11 or any day fighting for this country or community. If other people feel the need to be the center of attention and have people honk their horns at them, or whatever – I guess that’s their prerogative. I was a little annoyed I had to leave 30 minutes earlier for me to get to my kid’s school on time so they could do that on a highway overpass – but I am not wasting any of my energy being pissed at them – or anyone else. It’s not worth it.

@ Connie Dobbs – I don’t understand what your comment is about Code Pink. I’ve never seen them on a highway overpass and personally I don’t care what they do.

25 Watch and Learn September 12, 2013 at 11:58 AM

So you flew a flag and prayed Schuley your a hero.3000 dead Americans but people hanging banners and honking, that was just too much for you. Dangerous you say. Late to take your spawn to daycare you say.Your a sad little human and I wish I had some second hand smoke to blow your way.

26 Claycordite September 13, 2013 at 10:08 PM

All right!!! Grow up and quit bickering over each others opinions! Save your key strokes to say something constructive. I’m tired of reading all this just so you can have the last word and prove yourself right. That works for both sides of any of these childish petty arguments.!!! I thought we were trying to thank those who put their lives on the line and willingly lost them for our welfare! God bless the service men and these law enforcement folks and firefighters!

27 Atticus Thraxx September 14, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Well if we all knew you were gonna be reading Claycordite, we would have toned it down. Anything else we can do for you? Sun too bright? Air too brisk? And really how does your whiney little rant not contribute to the same thing your complaining about? Post rejected-resubmit.

28 Connie Dobbs September 14, 2013 at 9:31 AM