URGENT: Evacuations Ordered in Clayton Due to Fire on Morgan Territory

September 8, 2013 · 46 comments

The following message is from the Contra Costa Community Warning System:

Due to a FIRE HAZARD_ an immediate evacuation has been ordered for Oak Hill Ln at Curry Canyon and Curry Pt. Please evacuate to Diablo View School in Clayton, 3 0 0 Diablo View Ln., park your cars at City Community Park on Regency Drive.

Leave now by car. Go by way of Morgan Territory. Take only those essential items you have ready and can carry with you. Pets must be in a carrier or on a leash. Lock your windows and doors as you leave. Stay off the phone unless you need to report a life-threatening emergency at your location. However, if you are physically unable to leave your home unassisted, call 9-1-1 for help.

1 2-1-1 September 8, 2013 at 5:07 PM

You’re supposed to call 2-1-1 for help if you are physically unable to leave your home unassisted… Not 9-1-1.

2-1-1 helps offload the 9-1-1 system.

2 Concerned Parent September 8, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Should people on Eagle Peak Ave. prepare in case of evac?

3 Sean H September 8, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Can’t believe it. That’s my parents St. So many animals to gather up. Hope my dad is willing to leave

4 Mary September 8, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Prayers up for those whose homes are in danger way and also may God protect the firefighters who are battling this blaze.

I received an Alert System on Comcast Demand while watching a movie. It went by so fast I wasn’t able to read it. So I had to come online to find out.

Stay Safe!!!

5 scanner September 8, 2013 at 5:16 PM

151.310 Air Attack coordination, active

6 Mimi (original) September 8, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Saw the first early plumes of smoke. Praying for all the homeowners and evacuees.

7 angel121909 September 8, 2013 at 5:20 PM

the emergency alert system said to still call 911

8 DH September 8, 2013 at 5:22 PM

NO, the emergency notice specifically said to call 9-1-1 as the mayor says above.

9 biggus thinkus September 8, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Kamrud clan, if you need anything, call the holmen’s, we’re in the book
Petcare, food, housing, whatever, just call

10 Thanks for clarifying-audio message difficult to understand September 8, 2013 at 5:37 PM

I listened to the audio message on my phone twice and couldn’t understand the 211 number, so thank you for clarifying it!

11 Just Me September 8, 2013 at 5:39 PM

@211 I believe they have asked for 911 to be called. Help being evacuated is sh immediate need that would be dispatched via ConFire right?

Also the East Bay IncidentnManagement team has been requested. Made up of members of various CoCo and AlCo fire depts.

12 anon September 8, 2013 at 5:46 PM

I called Camp 4 Paws at 5 PM to ask if they needed help evacuating the dogs. I was told that they were almost finished with getting all of the animals into vehicles and evacuate.

I saw a lot of trucks with horse trailers full of families and horses driving away from immediate fire area. Two family-filled trucks were carrying three horses in each trailer.

There are a lot of ranches and horses, dogs, burros, donkeys, goats, cats, chickens, alpacas, ponies, all pets in the area affected and one way in and one way out. My heart goes out to the families who are trying to leave safely with all of their loved ones.

13 Cowellian September 8, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Scary Stuff!

14 aaron September 8, 2013 at 5:54 PM

211 is for many NON URGENT assistance. if you are in a home being threatened by fire and are unable to evacuate, dial 911. again 211 is for NON EMERGENCIES ONLY.

15 Lisa Nielsen September 8, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Obviously law enforcement and fire departments are overwhelmed. There are only so many resources for help. Use your heads people. Get your animals, kids, and evacuate and pray for the best. City resources can’t respond to all kinds of 211 or 911 calls and put the fire out at the same time.

16 Alex skylark September 8, 2013 at 6:04 PM

If anyone needs a place for their horses, I would be happy to make space in my barn. Contact Alex via email and we can get your horses safely tucked away until you can go bck home. Our thoughts are with you all in Morgan Territory.

17 Lori September 8, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Does anyone know how close this is to Diablo Bowman Archery range. I know it’s in close range but want to know if anyone knows specifics.

18 Jerk September 8, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Jeeezus! I hope nobody is at the point of death and reading these MIS-LEADING comments about this 2-1-1 Bull Sh!t,

MAYOR, PLEASE SCRUB ALL 2-1-1 COMMENTS, It’s causing CONFUSION.

19 Tina September 8, 2013 at 6:08 PM

“Scary Stuff” – Cowellian? Really? And you are not even in the area anymore? What a trite thing to say.

20 Just Me September 8, 2013 at 6:09 PM

According to some CalFire info-20 more engines and 5 handcrews have been requested. There are also requests for more engines, handcrews, and water tenders for AM shif tomorrow. If you use Marsh Creek to commute expect extra traffic!

Also a note in the CHP Cad about Con Fire Station 11 being used as a staging area, anyone else have more info about that?

21 Root beer September 8, 2013 at 6:11 PM

We went to bring water to diablo view and the officer there told us the evacuation area was changed to the library.

22 jm74 September 8, 2013 at 6:16 PM

The Emergency Alert system is terrible. I heard the alert and looked at the tv and the message was almost over. Claycord was the only place to find info!

23 MsSoccer22 September 8, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Is the fire heading toward Clayton side? Dana hills area?

24 steve weir September 8, 2013 at 6:22 PM

We were on the Mountain last night for the Save Mt. Diablo Annual fundraiser…what a worthy cause.

It pains me to see the Mountain on fire. But, I have to remember that fire is a natural occurrence. Allowing natural fire keeps Mother Nature in balance.

it is clear that allowing dead cellulose to gather on the ground (currently four times that of 1911) is a formula for disaster (too much cellulose will foster a tree top fire…this kills the tree ) I hope the fire is slow and allows the animals to escape

25 Cowellian September 8, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Yeah, really.
I still have family in the area.

26 biggus thinkus September 8, 2013 at 6:30 PM

@ steve weir
totally right, with the right speed, this can be a wonderful “cleansing” for Mt. Diablo.

This is supposed to happen periodically folks, we can only hope that CalFire has the insight and preparing to save the homes, but allow the mountain to become refreshed!

27 Just Me September 8, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Air tankers and copters are leaving, most have “timed out.” Will be left to the crews/engines over night.

28 Bree September 8, 2013 at 6:33 PM

thank you @anon for the news on Camp 4 Paws!

29 ChampagneKitty September 8, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Tina…leave Cowellian alone…he lived in Claycord for many years and still cares very much about the area…it is scary stuff indeed.

30 Horse'n Around September 8, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Does anyone know if the horses need any extra feed or supplies? I have some to donate.

31 Just Me September 8, 2013 at 6:51 PM

CalFire air attack “…things starting to look better.” Hopefully that is a good sign!

32 SB September 8, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Is there anything people can do to help, while staying out of the way? Taking food/water, are accommodations needed for people/animals?

33 NVgatr September 8, 2013 at 6:58 PM

The 211 Help Center is there for a different sort of help! If you need assistance in this type of emergency, call 911 as originally advised!

34 SK September 8, 2013 at 7:02 PM

@ChampagneKitty, Thank you. I was about to say the same thing. Cowellian has been one of us for many years and he cares deeply about this area.

35 Cracky McGee September 8, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Tina, you are an idiot. I second Cowellian. VERY scary stuff!

36 Allyse September 8, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Do people need food and water at the evacuation sites? We can come bring some.

37 Renee Serrano September 8, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Any info for Dana Hills or Rodies?

38 ANNONeeemoose September 8, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Red Cross is at several areas around Clayton. They may prefer everyone just just stay off the roads right now @Allyse.

39 Cowellian September 8, 2013 at 9:43 PM

I have to say that since we do have to watch this unfold from a distance, Claycord is the place to find out what’s going on.

40 Cowellian September 8, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Based on how slow the site is tonight, I’m guessing that there are an awful lot of us using Claycord to find out what’s going on.

41 SyC September 8, 2013 at 9:55 PM

I travel Marsh Creek thru Clayton. I don’t want to impede evac or responders. Can anyone give me an update on if I should drive in tomorrow morn?

42 Anon September 8, 2013 at 10:04 PM

@syc…

You should be good to go tomorrow morning, as the fire is still heading south around North Peak. Just take it slow and don’t use Morgan Teritory Rd.

43 SyC September 9, 2013 at 12:05 AM

@Anon, thanks!

44 Lahgnas September 9, 2013 at 6:46 AM

Can some one let me know if there is any concern for Monte Vista High School today?

45 Wade September 9, 2013 at 6:52 AM

We desperately need to get back in to get my dads medicine. He lives on whispering pines. Is there a way? He’s diabetic and has all his equipment. He wasn’t home when this all started so didn’t have his stuff. Are the homes on whispering pines still standing? someone please answer. thanks

46 anon September 9, 2013 at 7:49 AM

@syc….

Marsh Creek Rd is closed from Deer Valley Rd to Regency in Clayton – closed about 30 min after my last posting last night.

Sorry ’bout that.