UPDATE: Saturday Morning Crash Kills Man on Treat Boulevard in Concord

August 31, 2013 16:12 pm · 108 comments

An early morning crash killed a man on Treat Boulevard near Thompson Drive (between Lime Ridge Open Space & Cowell Road) in Concord.

Police say the crash happened at about 2am on Saturday, and involved an auto -vs- a tree.

Upon arrival, the officers found a solo vehicle collision with the victim (who was the sole occupant), deceased in the driver’s seat.

The preliminary investigation revealed the victim drove off the roadway for unknown reasons and struck the tree.

No further details are available, and the man’s name hasn’t been officially released, although we’re hearing he was a resident of Concord.

UPDATE, 6:13pm: The man has been identified by friends and family as Don Maich Jr., of Concord.

101 Domestic CEO September 3, 2013 at 9:58 AM

My son played on a baseball team he coached at JOBL, he was a great guy. Always there for the kids and encouraging them to play their best. He has touched many, many lives and will always be fondly remembered.

Rest In Peace Don

102 Chuck Carlson September 3, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Candie, Donnie and Joe I’m so sorry to hear the loss of your husband/father this really has touched me and what a great man he was. My son Eric had the opportunity of being coached by Don and George L what good times we had that year. I remember Don talked about Highland Hospital where he worked as a Sherriff there and how much he enjoyed being there. My prayers to the family (GOD BLESS)

103 Family September 3, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Thank you all for your kind words. Someone asked how Don could have been retrieving something from a football game at 2 am. The game ended at around 11:30. They drove home, then he drove back to the school. Knowing Don he was shooting the bull with someone he knew. That’s the kind of guy he was. He’d hang out, shoot the breeze and maybe help if he thought it was needed. As for services nothing has been planned yet. His parents are traumatized. Those who know him will be notified. Anon 89 semantics. He worked graves (that would be the graveyard shift for you) and nights and sometimes even a swing shift. That’s what you do when you’re a cop. RIP 86 thank you so much for stopping to help. It’s nice to know there are people out there who care. What a great community we live in. To you and the others who stopped to help Don, I give my eternal gratitude. Thank you.

104 Teddi September 4, 2013 at 4:23 PM

A good man indeed. I have known Don for over 30 years and he’s always been one of the good guys. The thing that will stick with me is his immense love for his boys. If that does not define a man’s character I don’t know what would. I recall some years ago someone was not so kind to him and it made me really mad. I learned a lesson from Don about forgiveness and considering someone else’s pain and am grateful to have known him. To Don’s family and boys, there are so many people who care and are grieving with you. I know that every Ugly Eagle from ’83 is here for you.

“While we are mourning the loss of our friend, others are rejoicing to meet him behind the veil.” ~John Taylor

105 that chic with no name September 4, 2013 at 6:10 PM

I’m saddened to hear of the loss of Don.

He was a gregarious character, when we were teens I had a party at my aunts, Don was in attendance. She had a fish tank with piranha in it. There was a sign clearly stating”Don’t put your hands in the tank you will l lose a finger”… Don didn’t believe the sign and got his finger bit… We just laughed about that incident a few weeks ago at Vinnies.

My sincere condolences to his Children and the rest of his family

106 K and M Colby September 5, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Our sincere condolences to Donald’s family,we did not know him very well,but if he was anyway like his wonderful parents he was the best.Rest in Peace.

107 AD September 6, 2013 at 8:45 PM

RIP Don. I know you’ll always be watching Donnie and Joey from heaven. I’ll always remember the fun times we had cruising the Fire Chicken on Clayton Road. My prayers go out to the boys and your entire family.

108 bulldog24 September 8, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Rip Don. You were a great pitcher on my team and a great person to be around i certainly will miss your presence.