UPDATE: Safeway in Clayton Temporarily Closes to Prevent Lil’ Wayne Concert Goers from Entering

August 30, 2013 23:10 pm · 170 comments

Safeway, located in the Clayton Station Shopping Center in the City of Clayton, has temporarily closed tonight to prevent concert goers from the Lil’ Wayne concert at the Pavilion from entering the store.

The store closed immediately when traffic began to leave the Pavilion, and an employee standing behind the door would only say “we had a problem earlier and had to close”.

However, Claycord.com heard earlier on Friday that Safeway already had plans to shut down when the concert goers were leaving.

Also, Clayton Police are blocking all the entrances to the shopping center on Kirker Pass Road, and Concord Police are preventing vehicles from turning right on to Clayton Road from Kirker Pass.

They are trying to get the crowd out of the cities of Concord & Clayton as soon as possible.

UPDATE, 11:21pm: There were no problems at the concert tonight, and cars are still leaving the pavilion. Safeway is still closed.

UPDATE, 11:40pm: Valero and Shell (gas stations) on the corner of Kirker & Clayton are also closed.

UPDATE, 12:20am: Safeway & Shell are now back open.

Valero is closed for the night.

Rico August 30, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Is this for real?

han solo August 30, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Man ruff crowd

yes August 30, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Best. Idea. Ever,

annicalyn August 30, 2013 at 11:26 PM

No Racial Profiling…

Anon August 30, 2013 at 11:27 PM

They don’t want anyone stealing their selection of fine liquor.

anon666 August 30, 2013 at 11:28 PM

People that annoy you.

Mideah August 30, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Right? I read this laughing my ass off. Too funny!

Earl August 30, 2013 at 11:33 PM

That is so frigging funny!!!! No right turn onto Clayton Rd. going into Concord. Basically the police are telling all the “Black Folks” to GET OUT OF TOWN!

momo August 30, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Better safe than sorry

MommaToTwo August 30, 2013 at 11:34 PM

No…. it was a rap concert…nothing ever happens after a rap concert that warrants having the police nearby. Yes, its for real.

Duck August 30, 2013 at 11:36 PM

That is flipp’in racist and an embarrassment to Concord and Clayton.
Nice Job Safeway…………hope you enjoy the crap storm you just started.
Racist pigs !

OMG August 30, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Really? Sooooo what is it about the lil Wayne concert goers that is so offensive that they arn’t aloud into Safeway? That’s got to be a new low…I mean the people are “good” enough for the Sleep Train but not for Safeway? I guess it’s going back to: “you FOLKS need to go to the BACK OF THE BUS” or what? no no it’s just silly. I’d be embarassed to have the above articile even put out. That sends out the wrong message for the town, or did we start banning lil wayne folks?

Cap'n Nick August 30, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Are there any shuttles running to take them all over to Walnut Creek?

Rebel August 30, 2013 at 11:40 PM

That is stereotyping at its finest! I don’t blame them though, as preventing unwanted crime is their priority!

Oh HELLLLLL yes August 30, 2013 at 11:41 PM

A great way to prevent crime. 🙂

5th Generation born in Concord August 30, 2013 at 11:42 PM

It is about time that the police and city management of Concord & Clayton decided that enough is enough with the element that these concerts bring into our community. We need to put pressure on the City of Concord to end the contract with the company that is booking the entertainment (I use that term loosely) at the Pavilion.

TNBREEZY August 31, 2013 at 12:00 AM

The Panda Express in Ross/CVS shopping center had a sign they were closing early because of the Lil Wayne concert also.

tony August 31, 2013 at 12:02 AM

last time there was a concert they rushed safeway and stole a lot of bottles and stuff. so they do this out of “racism” or “profiling” its because its a known fact that most people that frequent these concerts are ghetto trash who cant act civilized. Its true. You gonna call me a racist? My gf is black and agrees with me.

eric August 31, 2013 at 12:02 AM

As an avid Hip-Hop fan, I want to say this… I DO NOT want Lil Wayne fans lingering around in my city, nor do i even want Lil Wayne in my city.

KenInConcord August 31, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Way to go Concord, Don’t let the politically correct crowd keep you from doing what is best for the citizens of Concord & Clayton.

Safeway, Panda, Burger King & others I will be happy to stand behind your decision.

A problem crowd is a problem crowd!! Has nothing to do with their race.!

An ounce of prevention... August 31, 2013 at 12:18 AM

It all sounds like good planning to me. Kinda funny that they channeled traffic toward Walnut Creek. Oh wait, I hear the helicopter. Did they circle around?

Anon August 31, 2013 at 12:19 AM

So can we close down the pavilion and build luxury houses there or something?

RS August 31, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Bottom line is that these stores had to learn the hard way in the past and simply don’t want to put up with this problem any longer. There protecting their business so that it may continue to offer its merchandise to respectful customers (of all races) in the future.

Calling it racist is simply ridiculous…

Cap'n Nick August 31, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Give me a break with the b.s. racial outrage. Yes it has to do with the type of crowd that this concert would likely draw. That hardly narrows it down to any particular race. I can guarantee you that the crowd in attendance was just about as ethnically diverse as it comes. If you think otherwise then you are, in fact, the one who is making an ignorant assumption. You cry foul and yet you are the one bringing race into it. Some people have nothing better to do than manufacturer reasons to be offended. The real problem here is that there are so many people that don’t know how to behave in public that the PD and Safeway both felt that extra precautions were necessary. I bet that at least half of the people that will complain about this are also the first to complain that the police aren’t proactive enough and just sit around waiting for something to happen. I swear, it’s positively comical.

East Bay Transplant August 31, 2013 at 12:30 AM

a bit racist???

sf city girl August 31, 2013 at 12:38 AM

It is the kind of crowd Lil wayne insights that is causing this matter, because there are R&B concerts there every weekend, & Safeway never closes for that. Besides there isn’t enough personnel to handle the influx of customers this late at night.

clayton resident August 31, 2013 at 12:44 AM

Hi yeah,.. If I do remember correctly about 5 to 7 years ago there was a rap concert at the pavillion and following the concert, some of the departing concert goers decided it might be fun to loot this gas station convenience store and murder someone outside just for fun…. rap draws the criminal types.. Just a plain fact.. Like it or not. As far as I know this may be the first rap concert since that last fateful one… If it had happened in Oakland it would be like… ‘no big thing’ since this occurs daily there. We moved to Clayton to get away from people who wish to indulge in these types of recreational activities…

clayton resident August 31, 2013 at 12:45 AM

It was the shell station less than a mile away from the pavillion corner of Ygnacio and Clayton Road

el congo August 31, 2013 at 12:53 AM

WOUD THEY DO THIS FOR A BEETLES CONCRRT OR OZZY?

Chevrolet girl August 31, 2013 at 12:53 AM

#24 well said!

Yellowneck86 August 31, 2013 at 12:56 AM

Somebody notify the NAACP, Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton. Lil Wayne fans weren’t able to riot and ran-sack Claycord today.

@el congo August 31, 2013 at 12:58 AM

The point is that they wouldn’t have to. There is a reason that 1/3 of black men go to prison at some point in their lives.

clayton resident August 31, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Do you mean how likely is that Ozzy or Beatles fans would loot and Murder at a corner gas station?

clayton resident August 31, 2013 at 1:01 AM

I would at the data to make any decision about that.. And then I would look at the data around these type of things and rap concert goers.. Then I would make my decision

James August 31, 2013 at 1:05 AM

I am a resident of Clayton.. One of the few African Americans who reside in the area, and yes, I do see this as racial profiling. Yes, I enjoy rap, I also enjoy rock and roll. If they are going to do this for one event, might as well do it for all…

clayton resident August 31, 2013 at 1:24 AM

That would make everyone feel better. I’m sure. It’s too bad people have to have their feelings hurt..

Pleasant Jenny August 31, 2013 at 1:26 AM

Nothing to do with racist card. Google him AND his lyrics and see/read/hear for yourself what he is about. I am actually impressed with the shut downs. They are protecting their employees and clients.

Dirk Diggler August 31, 2013 at 1:34 AM

James get real. Lil Wayne and his followers will rape and pillage your village. Your an idiot if you think these young men from Oakland, Richmond, or where ever come in peace. These guys are savage animals. Your a blind Obama liberal who will one day be a victim of a violent crime.

Earl August 31, 2013 at 1:41 AM

@ James,

They don’t have to do this at every event because I doubt the police have to worry about looting and someone being murdered after an Aerosmith or Rush concert.

Rich Black Man August 31, 2013 at 1:43 AM

It is “Racial Profiling” at it’s best, but I understand… How about Safeway step up and call it what it is??? When these companies and restaurants shut down and make up excuses, it’s cowardice, bigoted and racist. When they stand up and tell the truth as to why they’re shutting down, people won’t think that. Chicken S*** if you ask me. As a Black Professional in the community, I’d shut down my business if I had one here. But I’d tell you why, not hide behind some lame excuse…

Rich Black Man August 31, 2013 at 1:57 AM

Dirk Diggler… My man… “Rape and pillage”, “savage animals”, ” from Oakland and Richmond”… Really??? Most of these kids are wanna be gangbangers from the suburbs like, “Concord, Clayton Valley, Walnut Creek, and Pleasant Hill”. Get real and wake up to the world around you. I’m sure you see and hear, people that look just like you playing the same music you despise while driving down the street here in town. It’s not just “US” animals from Oakland and Richmond. Yes, I’m from there…

idiot hater August 31, 2013 at 2:04 AM

If it walks like a duck & talks like a duck…. It only seems prudent that since some similar concerts in the past had shootings & violence that it is good common sense to take the necessary precautions. I applaud Safeway’s & other local merchants to err on the side of caution. I live in the area & do not feel put out at all.

nytemuvr August 31, 2013 at 2:42 AM

Some of our folks used to be a little like the comments being made here when the Concord Coliseum was in it’s heydays….”damn long-hair, bell bottom wearing kids and that Rock and Roll, they call that music”. My Dad was that way, but I got in to see some good shows there.
As for tonight it was a smart thing to do, good preplanning….makes me feel like I’m home again eating Barney’s ribs when the booths had big sawed in half wagon wheels for backrests.

MDHS80 August 31, 2013 at 3:16 AM

I have to agree with SF City Girl and also with James.

I’m no rocker, BUT have you ever seen a group of hard core rockers (or hard core bikers); now that’s scary and it comes to the same level and those who like hard core hip hop. When rock concerts take place at the Pavillion, how come Safeway doesn’t close early then?

Safeway already had “declared” that something bad MIGHT happen and since they did declare it (putting it out there), they decided to shut down because of being robbed. BUT isn’t it funny that when shoplifting does happen there and there are witnesses that see the shoplifting taking place and then informs the employees/manager and nothing is done, what’s the difference?

As like others, I remember what happened several years ago. Why focus on the past? Learn from the past and move forward.

clayton resident August 31, 2013 at 3:21 AM

Unfortunately for all of us Dirk, You responded in some pretty harsh terms. However, it’s most likely that the ‘data’ I was referring to above would lend some credibility to your concerns..I think if there was an Opera night at the pavillion we should also ready the copters….right I mean… You know it’s only fair…who knows what could happen.

ptpauly August 31, 2013 at 3:34 AM

WOW

Long Beach Living. August 31, 2013 at 3:49 AM

No prob getting to pittsburg I bet!!

i worked the pavilion August 31, 2013 at 4:57 AM

Racist? Are you referring to racism against black folk? Can you see no difference between the behavior of those that go to the Jazz Fest and those at L.W.?
Whatever part of the human race the L.W. crowd draws they have earned their rep. Some may do well to ask themselves how often they claim something racist. When one ‘cries wolf’ too many times what happens when the wolf really shows up?

!!! August 31, 2013 at 5:28 AM

Batton down the hatches! No profiling! But, let’s just error on the safe side and double lock our vehicles, park em in the garage, and keep all our lawn decorations inside!

Look, there is a reason for stereotypes. People earn them; they are very hard to earn at that. We all know that any crowd wanting to see ignorant ghetto glorification idiots are societies scum of the earth. Don’t pretend to be righteous.

Roger the Shrubber August 31, 2013 at 5:35 AM

I know what you mean about those Beetle and Ozzy crowds. The last one I was at I got hit in the back of the head by a sharp flying object. I had to go to first aid to get a full set of dentures dislodged. And talk about out of control crowds…during a break i was run over by a stampeed of women. Well maybe I shouldnt have been standing so close to the bathroom. Oh! and the after crowd…they need to be run out of town asap. These guys are dangerous driving on sidewalks and shoulders, so much nodding off at the wheel and mistaking the gas pedal w/ the break. Good thing for us Gorden Lightfoot isnt coming hear. Tighten security indeed!

Don't Censor Me Bro August 31, 2013 at 5:56 AM

That’s it….on-line posters deciding what businesses ought to do!

Got it!

For those for whom the shoes fit…open your own business!

rkt88edmo August 31, 2013 at 5:59 AM

We are all Trayvon
???

Don't Censor Me Bro August 31, 2013 at 5:59 AM

@James #35 and there’s a pedophile behind every trench coat, an impeached, disbarred ex-president behind every stained blue dress, and a demon behind every tree, right?

Anonymom August 31, 2013 at 6:00 AM

They did the right thing. I was witness to the chaos 7 years ago and it was terrifying. As it was stated above you’re pulling the race card but this really has to do with the audience Lil Wayne draws. It’s not one big peaceful crowd. Sometimes we do things to protect our city that others disagree with, big deal its 11 at night people don’t need to go hang out at Safeway.

anon August 31, 2013 at 6:00 AM

I heard there were drunks and at least one fight that security had to break up.

Don't Censor Me Bro August 31, 2013 at 6:03 AM

Prior history with same or similar circumstances or racial profiling?

Everyone “KNOWS” it has to be the latter…

{{{{{ Sarcasm off }}}}}

Don't Censor Me Bro August 31, 2013 at 6:05 AM

@Anon #22

“We?”

Have at it.

CG August 31, 2013 at 6:26 AM

WOW, I do agree it might make sense to do it for all events leaving, If they had problems in the past with a Lil Wayne concert I can understand. I do not believe it is racial profiling I think it is more having a bunch of young rowdy people that could do some harm, better safe then sorry. Rowdy people can do damage we have seen that in Oakland and SF when things get out of hand of all races. I think it is more a young people prevention with a mix of music demo. But I still have to say WOW.

annonamoose August 31, 2013 at 6:28 AM

Excellent idea! I’m going to be shopping
at Safeway from now on. I say run rap,
hip hop, whatever you want to call it,
completely out of town. Make it illegal
to listen to it. It’s offensive, racist, sexist,
vulgar, and requires no talent whatsoever.
It’s the worst thing that has ever happened
to the music industry.

Roid Rage August 31, 2013 at 6:29 AM

This is some good reading, being of mixed race myself and from what I’ve experienced in my 56 years life’s journey it seems the ones that each into there back pockets and pull out the race card are in fact the one that are raciest, if it was your place of business and your livelihood that could be or has been targeted by concert goers you would have also shut down during a critical time.

Michelle August 31, 2013 at 6:39 AM

This in my opinion has nothing to do with profiling or being racist, it has to do with protecting the community from events reoccurring. I proud of our cities for doing this. The people who are making it about race are all of you who are having your own issues. Get over it already!! It’s 2013 quit bringing race into everything!!

babytruck August 31, 2013 at 6:41 AM

When these stores closed, they lost a lot of profits. I feel it’s really sad that they even had to have to come to the decision to take a profit loss for the night than deal with the damage and theft that would occur, more so the safety of the employees and patrons due to past experience.

The stores were closed to EVERYBODY that night. I see it as a venue thing. The organizers that book the concerts may want to take into consideration what they put on the schedule.

Also: A big thank you to the police departments for taking care of the residents.

warbirds45 August 31, 2013 at 6:54 AM

Sad, you do not see all the ” White Folks” running over to Oakland and Richmond! A lot of young people want to be a gang bangers or a drug dealing king pin. Where will you be in 5 years?
It comes down to ignorance and stupidity, the music is degrading. I love the F bomb every other word and what they think of women and drugs.
Bill Cosby and Arthur Ashe were great roll models! We need more like them!
Happy Labor Labor! Which refers to working HARD!

Elnora August 31, 2013 at 7:00 AM

I bet The City of Clayton likes the money that is given to them from the concert being there. Which comes from the same people try don’t want in their town. Btw Safeway will be hearing from me. I didn’t go to the concert but I like the some of those artist music, and no I wouldn’t have went into Safeway and steal anything, I have money. Yes racial profiling at its finest.

JRconcord August 31, 2013 at 7:00 AM

If they didnt do this the headline would read Safeway robbed by mob after concert. This was smart and who cares if someones little feeling got hurt stfu and go back to Otown or Atown or Pburg or whatever s%^$hole you came from. MEEHA leave biatch…

Jerk August 31, 2013 at 7:02 AM

Once again – The Claycord peanut gallery FAILS on Critical thinking.
If Store Posted a SIGN that stated: ‘No Kneegrows Permitted’ = That would be racist.
Closing to All Customers, HOW can that be Racist? You’re idiots, cry to Al Sharpton that FOOL.
I’ll be supporting Safeway.

Rico August 31, 2013 at 7:05 AM

I heard Bull Connor was at the corner of Kirker and Ygnacio helping to direct traffic. Businesses that want to close, so be it. Those roads coming to and from the Pavilion are public roads. Clayton and Concord have now exposed themselves to lawsuits that could likely cost a lot more than paying for better police coverage for the night. Did they notify concertgoers on the way in that they would be funnelled out of town? How about local residents that live down Clayton rd.? Now I know that many of you are going to call me politically correct. If you knew me I am anything but politically correct. This rings as profiling at best. If this is such a problem, don’t let the place be a venue for such events. That is how you protect the neighborhood.

Heyyyyyy August 31, 2013 at 7:06 AM

Safeway and Panda will also be shut down tonight for that raucous “Concert in the Park” crowd in Clayton. They don’t want all their Chardonnay to go missing.

Good Job CPD August 31, 2013 at 7:10 AM

Want to thank CPD for blocking Clayton Rd. helped me get good nights sleep.

Analnymess August 31, 2013 at 7:10 AM

That’s does it, I’m boycotting Safeway!!!

wooga August 31, 2013 at 7:23 AM

really??? people using the race card again… businesses have a choice of what to do with THEIR businesses… why does EVERYTHING now-a-days have to be about race… its about safety in our cities… people pulling the race card are usually the racist ones… lets all shut the hell up & get along!! this argument will never stop… just be the best person you can be & it will get better

betty bart August 31, 2013 at 7:27 AM

past experiences!!!

oh yeah a real Oakland crowd

SK August 31, 2013 at 7:28 AM

It is the type of people drawn to the Lil Wayne performance, not their color. Big difference.

Closing down Safeway and all other businesses and directing traffic directly to 680 is just common sense.

Reality Says... August 31, 2013 at 7:34 AM

They should have diverted all traffic to the right over towards pissburgh. I’m sure they would have appreciated all the business.

Chris August 31, 2013 at 7:41 AM

Good!

Scoob August 31, 2013 at 7:47 AM

I agree with 5th Gen 16. Its time again to pressure the city council to oust Live Nation! Dan Helix recently wrote a commentary in CCT (August 8th Viewpoints) outlining the history of the Pavilion and their vision for the future. Thanks for the history lesson Dan, but I worked there in the glory days and remember it well. When the contract is up December 2013 – GET RID OF LIVE NATION! That is the core of any plan you put together. Thanks to CPD for added security when this type of concert comes to town. Back in the 80s the Hank Williams Jr concert was the rowdiest of the year. We don’t need this thug life crap in our communities. In fact, that culture and the huge homeless/drug addict population in Concord is what has ruined my home city.

Ray August 31, 2013 at 7:59 AM

As a black man I can appreciate the local business’s in the area shutting down. Lil Wayne attracts noting but riff raff. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, then it’s probably a duck.

bigdaddy August 31, 2013 at 8:00 AM

people at the ozzy concert arent doing side shows all the way down ygnacio valley road?

Mixed Girl August 31, 2013 at 8:00 AM

Absolutely Not Racial Profiling.
It’s Being Smart…Get Over It!

Thank You For Taking Care Of Our City!

WC Resident August 31, 2013 at 8:08 AM

None of us know the facts do we? So I would say anyone thinking it is this or that could be racial profiling without realizing it!!! I am sure they had good reason to do so!!!

Dr. Jellyfinger August 31, 2013 at 8:17 AM

James is right! I recall after the Backstreet Boys Concert a mob of teenage white girls looted the Safeway of all the soda pop & bubble gum. One of them called me “Grandpa” & pinched my butt!

Cracky McGee August 31, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Smart move! Thank you, CPD!

Sharon August 31, 2013 at 8:19 AM

My feeling is his concerts shouldn’t be here. Did anyone see his latest video stomping and dancing on the American Flag?? and yes, I agree, better safe than sorry.

DoReMi August 31, 2013 at 8:26 AM

Racial profiling? Too f-ing bad. I dare liberals to drop by the iron tri-angle in Richmond after dark to test your convictions. Heck, take your white -a$$ for a stroll at noon. See what you will see.

Good for the Concord police and watchdogs to forsee and prevent crime. BTB, the crime wave in Concord is not our local population. A new element was brought in . Bussing and BART put us on the map as easy pickin’s. Our little dough boy community has been marked as EASY.

Dave August 31, 2013 at 8:28 AM

They ought to send Clayton and Concord PD to Antioch and shut down everything until the Lil Wayne “fans” go back to the ghetto where they belong. I wish more cities would follow Clayton’ s lead.

SickandTired August 31, 2013 at 8:31 AM

How about we call it what it really is? Behavioral profiling.

DOMIFAN August 31, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Nothing wrong with keeping the cockroaches out. Good for you Safeway

Dixie August 31, 2013 at 8:35 AM

That’s Brilliant!!! I think all merchants could follow that idea! No need for shenanigans goin’ on after a concert that size..well done Concord PD and Safeway!

Vindex August 31, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Race??? Nope. Have you listened to L’ll Wayne’s lyrics? That’s the problem. People that fill their head with that garbage, I’d be nervous about letting them in my store. Safeway and the gas stations did the right thing.

Lake August 31, 2013 at 8:47 AM

MommaTwo are you saying nothing happens? Are you forgetting the the shooting at the gas station a few years ago? I guess you don’t count murder as a bad thing.. Perhaps the Pavilion should be next to Hwy 4 in the new weapons depot development or a freeway to the existing Pavilion from Kirker Pass direct to Hwy 4. A sports Complex near Hwy 4 would be nice, providing entertainment and employment with easy Freeway access..

Dixie August 31, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Me again…I posted before I read other posts…some of you folks just slay me! This is not profiling! This is protection at It’s best! Protecting business and employees and your city! Do ya think this kinda music and lyrics bring out the best in those concert goers? Ahhh..NO. It brings out anger band hate and destruction! Just like some sports events..your team didn’t win? Tear up that town..it’s all ridiculous! Just cuz you went to that concert doesn’t make you black. I’m sure there were whites and Mexicans too. Stop trying to stir stuff up. You’re the ones making this a racial issue. Again.. I commend Concord for its protection of its people and Safeway too. Get over your dumbselves

m August 31, 2013 at 8:51 AM

hummm… i think everyone that said this is racial profiling are the ones “suggesting” a certain race only listens to this “artist” No one ever said anything about any race. kinda like Most people around here now Raiders fans Can get a little out of hand no matter the race!

Mr B August 31, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Nice work Concord PD… As a resident of the area I appreciate avoided the rolling riot we had last time.

Voice of Reason August 31, 2013 at 9:04 AM

This is not profiling nor racist. It’s practical and safety precaution. The precaution was for ALL and was done so specifically because of many issues in the past w rap concert. If there was a murder at a country concert, the same thing would apply. In order to the murder, a few years back, there was rooting in downtown Clayton and a fiasco at the Endeavor hall. Additionally, there were may documented issues on Clayton Road w/ folks “joyriding”, stopping traffic and causing many issues. The concert go-ers did this all the way to the Caldocot tunnel. So some claim, “profiling” or “racist” – why? Clearly there was an issue/s. I would ask you if it’s profiling to get “checked” and not allowed to bring a bag into Candlestick? Is there racism in the world, yes. Is this an example, no. If one reviews the specifics/history, it makes complete sense. Some folks want to use the race card whenever it makes them feel better. I’d wonder if they were the parent of the dead youth how they’d feel. Or the cops that were spit on and called “pigs” or the windows that were smashed in downtown Clayton or the many looting in most local store. Come on ya’ll.

just having a blast August 31, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Oohhh, too much drama, I’m enjoying it. Good job CPD.

anon August 31, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Glad to hear they closed. They most likely would have done the same for the Eminem crowd as well. It isn’t racist at all. They wouldn’t have closed for a Lionel Richie, Earth wind and fire nor a commodors crowd and they are black so to call it racist is a joke.

DOMIFAN August 31, 2013 at 9:17 AM

@James,
Read below, is this profiling? No, IT’S REALITY, your race is “morally bankrupt”.

Two women say they were gang raped Thursday in a Wilmington, Del., park by 10 to 12 suspects identified by police as juveniles, MyFoxPhilly.com reported.

The alleged attack occurred inside Kosciuszko Park at approximately 7 p.m. Police say the women, ages 32 and 24, were sitting in the park when they were approached by a group of juveniles they described as black males.

One of the women called 911 to report a rape, but it was unclear if there were other witnesses to assist in the investigation. Detectives, at this point, do not have any suspects.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/08/31/2-women-gang-raped-by-10-12-juveniles-in-delaware-park-report-says/#ixzz2dZ1ybUQV

Kris August 31, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Its not about being racists its about crime and a bunch of cars and people and getting people out.

Anon August 31, 2013 at 9:26 AM

It is no different than Oakland stores closing and covering their windows with plywood after the Zimmerman trial, simply preventing their place of business from being looted. Concerts or demonstrations. So be it.

Nutcreek Frontier August 31, 2013 at 9:33 AM

I am a Latina and I have no problem with this. I don’t see this as a racial issue, more socio-economic. This concert draws fans from the more violence prone, out-of-towners, who aren’t vested in the community that they are visiting. Think it is smart to see they exit our area quickly and peacefully. Why let them stay and murder/loot/perform sideshows as happened before?

Antonio August 31, 2013 at 9:42 AM

When I was younger I was very offended by this.

I understand it now. It’s REALISM! You have to do what you have to do.

You don’t like the rough crowd…….CLOSE THE DOORS!

Looting, violence—–GET RID OF THEM!

Trucker Bug August 31, 2013 at 9:49 AM

This is by far the funniest and best news article I have ever read on claycord. Even before it was .com

Too Frickin Funny!!

the other jj August 31, 2013 at 9:55 AM

sounds like this would have been a great place and time for a dui checkpoint!! make up for the crummy results from the past checkpoints,, concord sure could use the cash

Atticus Thraxx August 31, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Say what you want about his music and lifestyle, whatever. But his dentist should be barred from practicing in first world countries.

Howard K Mullins III August 31, 2013 at 10:16 AM

It’s not racial profiling…

It’s character profiling.

Only racists add race.

Dotty August 31, 2013 at 10:24 AM

It’s not racism…it common sense.

mobs August 31, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Better safe than sorry…li’l wayne is not kieth sweat, a completely different crowd.

Lisa August 31, 2013 at 10:29 AM

This article is the only one I could find about looting, violence after a Concord Pavilion concert… It happened in 2002, but was pretty bad.

Antler August 31, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Lowlife NOISE (because that mess should not be called “music”) attracts lowlife people. The communities’ preventative measures were wise.

1. Should Live Nation be billed for ALL extra law enforcement services that evening?
2. Should Live Nation reimburse merchants for their losses (as compared to an average of the profit businesses made on past concert evenings)?

Yellowneck86 August 31, 2013 at 10:54 AM

It’s times like this where I wish Jim Crow laws were brought back, however the law should change the focus from skin color to the content of character.

@Yellowneck86 #110 August 31, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Yellowneck? Hmmm. I’m still trying to figure out the content of your character.

Yhe Phantom August 31, 2013 at 11:46 AM

97 DOMIFAN
IT’S REALITY, your race is “morally bankrupt”.

President Kennedy was assassinated by a “white” guy.

Study the concept of “relevance” and “generalization”.

STAY IN SCHOOL…If you are not in school, a school will be appointed for you.

lg August 31, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Did`nt “lil wayne” stomp on the American flag awhile back? TRASH!!!!!!!

sf city girl August 31, 2013 at 12:07 PM

@James~ i listen to all rap, and I am white, and I still don’t want little Wayne here, because he has a huge crime ridden crowd that follows him. So not a racist matter. However I do think those all black cruises are racist. That is racism at it’s best.

Yellowneck86 August 31, 2013 at 12:19 PM

@111
Well, we’ve figured out the majority of the content of Lil Wayne fans’ characters.

Analnymess August 31, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Lets hope that the targeted group boycotts that Safeway and the area.

SadCase August 31, 2013 at 12:54 PM

li’l Wayne is a highly popular rap artist. I don’t like rap, but you have to respect the artists. If Eminem, MC Search or Slug were here would it be any different? They all laugh right on their way to the bank.

Truth Teller August 31, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Safeway has a responsibility to protect their employees and customers. Safeway also has the right to protect their property. The decision was based on past incidents following rap concerts at the pavilion. It was the right decision. Too bad for those with hurt feelings. Had they stayed open and someone was hurt Safeway would be chastised for being “stupid” for staying open.

Happ August 31, 2013 at 1:03 PM

If I or any of you owned a business near a concert venue that suffered a wave of theft every time a specific type of event took place wouldn’t you close up early too? If I had the same issue after a country event and closed nobody would bat an eye, this has nothing to do with race. It has more to do with the age of most of the rap/hip hop fans.

The stores don’t close after R & B or Jazz concerts because the fans are not the same. So all of you crying race, same people that cry race about everything in life..

proud patriot August 31, 2013 at 1:10 PM

50 years ago Washington DC closed all stores for MLK’s march. Concord reaction was no less Racist . I’m truly embarrassed as a Concord resident.
Fear, Hate, and ignorance seem to rule many commenting on this. Well i’m here to state that not all White Concord residents are hate-filled fearful ignorant racists but sadly many are. I truly pity them.

anonanonagain August 31, 2013 at 1:10 PM

I know who Lil’ Wayne is but never checked the lyrics of his songs out. Whoa!!! His songs are disgusting, misogynistic, hateful garbage. It may be set to a beat but this is vile, soul corrupting junk. No wonder they closed down the store……

Mick August 31, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Off topic, I think we need a better group to manage the Pavilion. It’s a great venue that goes mostly unused for the entire Summer except for a few crappy concerts like Lil Wayne and the f’ing Goo Goo Dolls with Matchbox 20??!! It seems like they’re not even trying to attract any good acts. What’s next? The friggin’ Backstreet Boys???

Dennis August 31, 2013 at 1:14 PM

CHP put 7 additional cars on 680 and 24 to deal with possible incidents ( remember the tunnel was ‘closed’ by concert goers after they mobbed Endeavor Hall, and murdered a man at the Shell station in 2002?
Not only did CPD close exits all the way to WC, the WCPD sealed Ygnacio all the way to the freeway.

The store owners all along the corridor were notified in advance. Those with access from neighborhoods, excluding Kirker / Ygnacio, decided to remain open. Many along the corridor, however, decided the local business after 10pm wasn’t worth keeping the doors open. And how many of them are open that late anyhow?
Safeway made the prudent choice.

Dennis August 31, 2013 at 1:25 PM

@#112 really? You dredge up 2 items 50 years apart to ‘prove’ moral bankruptcy?
I guess you forgot the thousands of kids murdered in gang infested areas every year by the ‘target audience’ of L-W.
They are victimized by their own community, not by other races.
With 70% illegitimacy, 30% unemployment, 50% school dropout rates, and 40% felony rates, they will have a tough time convincing the rest of us that the stereotype / profile is inaccurate.

ANON August 31, 2013 at 1:27 PM

“I bet The City of Clayton likes the money that is given to them from the concert being there. ”

The Pavilion is in the City of Concord–get your facts straight.

SadCase August 31, 2013 at 1:35 PM

As a business owner–I would have locked my doors too if I was confronted with that crowd.

Too many anon August 31, 2013 at 1:42 PM

You know……Charlie Manson is laughing his head off right now with all of this “RACIAL” stuff, it’s just what that psycho was hoping for and trying to promote……so let’s STOP the racial this and that and make the psycho SAD okayyyyyyyyyyyyyy? Thank you Concord PD and Clayton PD for helping to keep me and mine safe…..period…for whatever reason!!!!

Danielle August 31, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Sad, but necessary.

You have to do what you have to do to protect the community. If there were problems in the past……

NRA #1 fan and member August 31, 2013 at 2:26 PM

This is the BEST TOPIC ever on Claycord!!

Safeway doesn’t want these people eating food in their stores before paying for it and YOU wonder why there’s no supermarkets in Oakland hahaha

GoGo Gomez August 31, 2013 at 2:30 PM

BS!

Always Right August 31, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Good job Concord and Safeway. Putting families first is Concord’s motto, and so it follows if families come first, then anti- family mouthpieces like li’ll Wayne should come last.

Glad the city kept this sewage contained so it didn’t spill into our neighborhoods.

Lyrics Promoting Violence Should COST August 31, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Trust that extra police presence and loss of business to businesses will be billed to the concert promoter. Concord should, based on violence associated with prior performances of an “artist”, require a cash bond to cover violence by concert goers.

Why are performers that attract violent fans rewarded with the opportunity to perform at the pavilion? Send a message DON’T BOOK THEM.

City council, any of you have a spine?

interesting August 31, 2013 at 2:58 PM

OMG THIS WASNT RACIST AT ALLL!!
PEOPLE ENJOY THESE CONCERTS TO EITHER
1. Enjoy the music they like
2. Be at a place to get high
3. Be at a place to get drunk

AND LET ME MAKE THIS CLEAR! There are many people of DIFFERENT Ethnicity and race that GO TO THESE CONCERTS!

LAST YEAR… AFTER a RAP CONCERT SAFEWAY HAD THEFT ISSUES!

IF there wasn’t an issue last year MAYBE just MAYBE safeway would have stayed opened Because I believe concerts do give that safeway a lot of business.

People make ethical decision based on the greater good for the community.

guest August 31, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Good job CPD. I live nearby and drove two laps through Kirker Pass a little after 11pm just to see what I could. I saw dirtbags surrounded by cops, being told in no uncertain terms, to get the hell out of my neighborhood and I liked it. I don’t want thug concerts in my area ever again.

As for profiling, that’s a good thing, and it’s an instinct we possess that helps living things stay alive. Does a bobcat saunter up to a momma bear with cubs? or does it profile momma bear and change course, choosing safety? Does a ground squirrel profile the hawk above? Does a community profile concert-goers? Yes, they do. For each event they do. And for this concert the community said ‘Give us your money, thank you. Now get the hell out!” Too bad they were here in the first place. With better Pavilion management better acts ,with better, more civilized people would attend and the city of Concord would generate more revenue. Why the Pavilion can’t secure the same acts that play Wente, Mountain Winery, or consistently draw decent people…I don’t know.

@ Guest August 31, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Have wondered the same thing, why the Pavilion can’t draw better acts. Every year, I look at Wente’s lineup and sigh. Waste of a great concert venue….the money is here to support great music, now just book some good artists.

Paul August 31, 2013 at 3:30 PM

You are right on the money, Dennis #24.

Paul August 31, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Sorry – Dennis #124

Paul August 31, 2013 at 3:31 PM

You are right on the money, Dennis #124.

Morgan Freeman August 31, 2013 at 3:49 PM

racist? did you see any purple color people go in, what about orange people or green people? NO because no one was allowed in they closed down to EVERYONE. It is not a race issue stop being so self centered and thinking about your self because you are wrong.

Atticus Thraxx August 31, 2013 at 3:51 PM

And another thing….that Elvis Presley with his dirty talk and thrusting hips! And those Beatles? With their drugs and long hair. Disgusting!

A concerned citizen August 31, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Oh no, too many black people in Clayton. They might get high and steal all our food. Better lock the doors. Racist SOBs.

Yall will never be happy August 31, 2013 at 4:28 PM

You would all be singing a different tune if these measures would not have been taken and some stupid crap went down in claycord after that rap concert. All you idiots would be on here crying and whining asking why were measures not taken to prevent this……. nothing but a bunch of hypocrites. So shut up already.

9 deuce daisy August 31, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Get over it, folks. Thats a massive amount of people not usually hanging out in the area. I’ve worked at that particular Safeway before and have been on shift during Pavilion shows, when large crowds of people come in… and some help themselves… make messes…. etc etc. Best to avoid any trouble all together.

Lorelei August 31, 2013 at 4:45 PM

If this venue is city-owned, then the Concord City Council should have final approval over which acts are invited into our City. If not, give the contract to someone who can manage it effectively. That Pavilion has been a winner before and can be a winner again!

Dave August 31, 2013 at 5:13 PM

R-E-A-L-I-T-Y= THE TRUTH HURTS!

No business needs the money that badly. They’re just being cautious due to past problems.

2009 Usher concert. (Death at a Shell Station). I happen to be driving by with my wife and kids. Great.

Deal with it people…..

TinFoiler August 31, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Yhe Phantom said:
“President Kennedy was assassinated by a “white” guy.
On December 14, 2012, a 20-year-old “white” guy fatally shot twenty children and six adult staff members in a mass murder at Sandy Hook Elementary School”.

YOU BELIEVE THAT???? And then you tell people to stay in School. What a Total ZOMBIE. Do your Research and STOP PARROTING what the ‘Wi Tu Lo / Ho Lee Fuk’ media feeds you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TURN OFF THE TV

NRA #1 fan and member August 31, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Nothing wrong with being a racist.

If I had a SOB he’ll be Trayvon Martin ROFLMAO

Sofa King August 31, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Hip-hop concert crowds have a well-earned reputation. If it offends you that some businesses choose to close their doors rather than deal with the people leaving a hip-hop concert, then maybe you should be doing something to change that reputation. Jumping up and down about “racial profiling” is idiotic, however. Nothing in Safeway’s actions had anything to do with race.

I will say it August 31, 2013 at 6:05 PM

I can’t stand “The hip hop culture”,

Dennis August 31, 2013 at 6:18 PM

point is that Kirker / Ygnacio was a closed corridor, whether businesses stayed open on not.

Most were closed for the night anyway.

Safeway (normally open all night) wasn’t going to get enough business to cover the cost of staying open anyhow.

They correctly chose to close, and save labor costs, for that period.

Phillip August 31, 2013 at 6:49 PM

“Racial profiling”?

Gimme a break! If you don’t have the facts, then you blame it all on racism….

Get over yourselves!

Diablo August 31, 2013 at 7:05 PM

This has to be one of the smartest moves I’ve ever heard of. I didn’t do much shopping at Safeway before but they will get all my business from this point forward.
Do you know why Police stereotype? Because it works!

dree August 31, 2013 at 7:19 PM

It’s not the color of the concert goers it’s the mantality. I used to go to hard rock concerts and sometimes there was extra police. It was smart not profiling.

I will say it! August 31, 2013 at 7:22 PM

I am of European Ancestory( white),
Martin Luther King Jr. whom I admire, said
this, “judge a man not by the color of his skin,
but the content of his character”, I’m
paraphrasing there. Lil’Wayne and his ilk
have no character. There are white people
in the same boat. I will say it again,
I can’t stand The Hip Hop culture.

tw August 31, 2013 at 7:30 PM

what no dui check point on ygnacio valley rd. perfect time for one
probably would have taking some weapons off the street to

roberto lantan August 31, 2013 at 7:54 PM

It is no suprise that this safeway made this decision after it belongs to the glass house we all know as clayton. This maybe borderline racist but after all a rap concert does bring a certain element to any city that in certain cases maybe unwanted. My only message to safeway is hire more security guards for one or two nights and save face!

NRA #1 fan and member August 31, 2013 at 8:02 PM

I’m no racist and don’t know much about rap and blacks, so is it safe to assume they are haters since black on black crime is at 95% and they are killing each other over nothing? Quite frankly, its good reading material and I get a smile out of it occasionally.

Jess August 31, 2013 at 8:47 PM

The Contra Costa Times concert reviewer liked Lil Wayne’s performance.

Regular guy August 31, 2013 at 9:05 PM

It’s truly troubling that some folks think the actions were racist. This was solely based on past experience with the Hip Hop culture. Until we stop providing excuses and start holding people accountable, the violence will continue…

Clayton Resident August 31, 2013 at 9:08 PM

As true proud Americans we should simply accept the possibility that we or members of our family may become deceased or injured by some of the fun hijinks perpetrated by rap concert goers after shows.. Just ask the guy that was MURDERED for NOTHING at the clayton shell station after the Usher concert.. I would be willing to bet there haven’t been a whole hell of alot of ransack or gunplay based murder in Clayton since then….But yeah we don’t want to make any assumptions here that would just be Scientific I mean ‘Racist’ ….. yeah thats it…I left Antioch to move to Clayton mainly because the incidences of random of Murder and mayhem were much less than Antioch…. And for some strange and unknown reason, the more people walking around with pants to the ground that there were in Antioch, the more violent crime increased….. I wonder why… I can’t figure it out… Let’s see.. I have it .. The persons committing these crimes were very angry that they could not afford a belt to pull up their pants… They then hatched a plan to start murdering people to get back at society…. So therefore it’s clear that not being able to afford a belt is the cause of murderous blood lust… We should create a program to give out FREE BELTS…This will of course solve all of these problems..

nelly August 31, 2013 at 9:21 PM

I am shocked some of these comments made it through. Have any of you been to a Lil Wayne concert?? I have and the majority of the crowd is NOT black. They are young and looking to have fun.

This may be racial profiling, but I just wanted to clarify that black people are not the majority in attendance…and no they’re not all from Oakland and richmond. Smh.

J.Edgar Hoover August 31, 2013 at 9:56 PM

The “Rev.” MLK may have had “A Dream” but this is the Reality 50 Years Later.

Laura Zah August 31, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Nelly, it is not the “color” of the crowd that goes to these shows, it is the gutter, street thug mentality of the people that go to these shows and their behavior that requires they be watched & supervised like juvenile delinquents.

Jar August 31, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Please cancel their contract at the end of December. We don’t need this activity in Concord or Clayton. Thanks CPD! Good job!

Spoons made me Fat September 1, 2013 at 6:33 AM

I was in Safeway years back after a Wild 107 concert festival and a mob of BLACK “people” from out of the area took over and basically looted the store. They were laughing and F-U whitey was their basic attitude. I heard one girl say “theys makin dis jus to easy forus”.

Oh yeah – and then there was the guy who got shot after a Rap concert at the Shell gas station. Anybody else remember that?

Hey people – those who don’t remember the past are condemned to repeat it. You don’t see this crap after any other venue so profile away! (or just not have these types of shows that bring this “element” into Claycord to begin with).

I choose to live here – not Oakland, Richmond or Vallejo.

btw – it’s ok to be a racist – as long as your not WHITE!

Duh September 1, 2013 at 7:37 AM

I don’t care ir they are pink blue or white. If the police had warning of trouble I am glad they closed the shopping areas down. Just goes to show how racist liberals are, assuming the crown was black. hahahahaha.

Anonymus September 1, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Say what you want Rich Black man but you moved out of that “area” for a reason… and call our kids want to be thugs, or whatever… but we will never ever have the crime rate that oakland richmond, or pinole, san pablo. Why because our police departments care, because they havent given up on us, like the police officers out in your neck of the woods. They know you all people like to shoot each other, so why bother.. thats why they code shootings low proprity because they just want you all to be able to shoot each other scrap up the bodies, and call it a day… So enjoy our 1 percent ghettoness.. while your city comes with 99% ghettoness..hahaha

mwo1859 September 1, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Did you folks know Hank Williams Jr is banned from the concord pavalian (or what ever you guys call it now) because the crowds are too rough

jw September 1, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Now THAT is very good, proactive police work, just stay on YV Blvd until you get to 680 and then just GTF outta here.

Yes, many of us remember past concerts with shootings, stabbings, looting, sideshows on Clayton Rd.

And Safeway, well played.

Nancy non PC and Proud of it September 3, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Best idea EVER!!! Just saved the businesses thousands in lost revenue and security fees. Not to mention the inevitable vandalism and loitering. WELL DONE SAFEWAY AND LOCAL PD!!! BRAVO!!! A pro-active approach to avoiding a lot of hassle and expense!