UPDATE: Safeway in Clayton Temporarily Closes to Prevent Lil’ Wayne Concert Goers from Entering

August 30, 2013 23:10 pm · 170 comments

Safeway, located in the Clayton Station Shopping Center in the City of Clayton, has temporarily closed tonight to prevent concert goers from the Lil’ Wayne concert at the Pavilion from entering the store.

The store closed immediately when traffic began to leave the Pavilion, and an employee standing behind the door would only say “we had a problem earlier and had to close”.

However, Claycord.com heard earlier on Friday that Safeway already had plans to shut down when the concert goers were leaving.

Also, Clayton Police are blocking all the entrances to the shopping center on Kirker Pass Road, and Concord Police are preventing vehicles from turning right on to Clayton Road from Kirker Pass.

They are trying to get the crowd out of the cities of Concord & Clayton as soon as possible.

UPDATE, 11:21pm: There were no problems at the concert tonight, and cars are still leaving the pavilion. Safeway is still closed.

UPDATE, 11:40pm: Valero and Shell (gas stations) on the corner of Kirker & Clayton are also closed.

UPDATE, 12:20am: Safeway & Shell are now back open.

Valero is closed for the night.

101 Antonio August 31, 2013 at 9:42 AM

When I was younger I was very offended by this.

I understand it now. It’s REALISM! You have to do what you have to do.

You don’t like the rough crowd…….CLOSE THE DOORS!

Looting, violence—–GET RID OF THEM!

102 Trucker Bug August 31, 2013 at 9:49 AM

This is by far the funniest and best news article I have ever read on claycord. Even before it was .com

Too Frickin Funny!!

103 the other jj August 31, 2013 at 9:55 AM

sounds like this would have been a great place and time for a dui checkpoint!! make up for the crummy results from the past checkpoints,, concord sure could use the cash

104 Atticus Thraxx August 31, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Say what you want about his music and lifestyle, whatever. But his dentist should be barred from practicing in first world countries.

105 Howard K Mullins III August 31, 2013 at 10:16 AM

It’s not racial profiling…

It’s character profiling.

Only racists add race.

106 Dotty August 31, 2013 at 10:24 AM

It’s not racism…it common sense.

107 mobs August 31, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Better safe than sorry…li’l wayne is not kieth sweat, a completely different crowd.

108 Lisa August 31, 2013 at 10:29 AM

This article is the only one I could find about looting, violence after a Concord Pavilion concert… It happened in 2002, but was pretty bad.

109 Antler August 31, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Lowlife NOISE (because that mess should not be called “music”) attracts lowlife people. The communities’ preventative measures were wise.

1. Should Live Nation be billed for ALL extra law enforcement services that evening?
2. Should Live Nation reimburse merchants for their losses (as compared to an average of the profit businesses made on past concert evenings)?

110 Yellowneck86 August 31, 2013 at 10:54 AM

It’s times like this where I wish Jim Crow laws were brought back, however the law should change the focus from skin color to the content of character.

111 @Yellowneck86 #110 August 31, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Yellowneck? Hmmm. I’m still trying to figure out the content of your character.

112 Yhe Phantom August 31, 2013 at 11:46 AM

97 DOMIFAN
IT’S REALITY, your race is “morally bankrupt”.

President Kennedy was assassinated by a “white” guy.

Study the concept of “relevance” and “generalization”.

STAY IN SCHOOL…If you are not in school, a school will be appointed for you.

113 lg August 31, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Did`nt “lil wayne” stomp on the American flag awhile back? TRASH!!!!!!!

114 sf city girl August 31, 2013 at 12:07 PM

@James~ i listen to all rap, and I am white, and I still don’t want little Wayne here, because he has a huge crime ridden crowd that follows him. So not a racist matter. However I do think those all black cruises are racist. That is racism at it’s best.

115 Yellowneck86 August 31, 2013 at 12:19 PM

@111
Well, we’ve figured out the majority of the content of Lil Wayne fans’ characters.

116 Analnymess August 31, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Lets hope that the targeted group boycotts that Safeway and the area.

117 SadCase August 31, 2013 at 12:54 PM

li’l Wayne is a highly popular rap artist. I don’t like rap, but you have to respect the artists. If Eminem, MC Search or Slug were here would it be any different? They all laugh right on their way to the bank.

118 Truth Teller August 31, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Safeway has a responsibility to protect their employees and customers. Safeway also has the right to protect their property. The decision was based on past incidents following rap concerts at the pavilion. It was the right decision. Too bad for those with hurt feelings. Had they stayed open and someone was hurt Safeway would be chastised for being “stupid” for staying open.

119 Happ August 31, 2013 at 1:03 PM

If I or any of you owned a business near a concert venue that suffered a wave of theft every time a specific type of event took place wouldn’t you close up early too? If I had the same issue after a country event and closed nobody would bat an eye, this has nothing to do with race. It has more to do with the age of most of the rap/hip hop fans.

The stores don’t close after R & B or Jazz concerts because the fans are not the same. So all of you crying race, same people that cry race about everything in life..

120 proud patriot August 31, 2013 at 1:10 PM

50 years ago Washington DC closed all stores for MLK’s march. Concord reaction was no less Racist . I’m truly embarrassed as a Concord resident.
Fear, Hate, and ignorance seem to rule many commenting on this. Well i’m here to state that not all White Concord residents are hate-filled fearful ignorant racists but sadly many are. I truly pity them.

121 anonanonagain August 31, 2013 at 1:10 PM

I know who Lil’ Wayne is but never checked the lyrics of his songs out. Whoa!!! His songs are disgusting, misogynistic, hateful garbage. It may be set to a beat but this is vile, soul corrupting junk. No wonder they closed down the store……

122 Mick August 31, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Off topic, I think we need a better group to manage the Pavilion. It’s a great venue that goes mostly unused for the entire Summer except for a few crappy concerts like Lil Wayne and the f’ing Goo Goo Dolls with Matchbox 20??!! It seems like they’re not even trying to attract any good acts. What’s next? The friggin’ Backstreet Boys???

123 Dennis August 31, 2013 at 1:14 PM

CHP put 7 additional cars on 680 and 24 to deal with possible incidents ( remember the tunnel was ‘closed’ by concert goers after they mobbed Endeavor Hall, and murdered a man at the Shell station in 2002?
Not only did CPD close exits all the way to WC, the WCPD sealed Ygnacio all the way to the freeway.

The store owners all along the corridor were notified in advance. Those with access from neighborhoods, excluding Kirker / Ygnacio, decided to remain open. Many along the corridor, however, decided the local business after 10pm wasn’t worth keeping the doors open. And how many of them are open that late anyhow?
Safeway made the prudent choice.

124 Dennis August 31, 2013 at 1:25 PM

@#112 really? You dredge up 2 items 50 years apart to ‘prove’ moral bankruptcy?
I guess you forgot the thousands of kids murdered in gang infested areas every year by the ‘target audience’ of L-W.
They are victimized by their own community, not by other races.
With 70% illegitimacy, 30% unemployment, 50% school dropout rates, and 40% felony rates, they will have a tough time convincing the rest of us that the stereotype / profile is inaccurate.

125 ANON August 31, 2013 at 1:27 PM

“I bet The City of Clayton likes the money that is given to them from the concert being there. ”

The Pavilion is in the City of Concord–get your facts straight.

126 SadCase August 31, 2013 at 1:35 PM

As a business owner–I would have locked my doors too if I was confronted with that crowd.

127 Too many anon August 31, 2013 at 1:42 PM

You know……Charlie Manson is laughing his head off right now with all of this “RACIAL” stuff, it’s just what that psycho was hoping for and trying to promote……so let’s STOP the racial this and that and make the psycho SAD okayyyyyyyyyyyyyy? Thank you Concord PD and Clayton PD for helping to keep me and mine safe…..period…for whatever reason!!!!

128 Danielle August 31, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Sad, but necessary.

You have to do what you have to do to protect the community. If there were problems in the past……

129 NRA #1 fan and member August 31, 2013 at 2:26 PM

This is the BEST TOPIC ever on Claycord!!

Safeway doesn’t want these people eating food in their stores before paying for it and YOU wonder why there’s no supermarkets in Oakland hahaha

130 GoGo Gomez August 31, 2013 at 2:30 PM

BS!

131 Always Right August 31, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Good job Concord and Safeway. Putting families first is Concord’s motto, and so it follows if families come first, then anti- family mouthpieces like li’ll Wayne should come last.

Glad the city kept this sewage contained so it didn’t spill into our neighborhoods.

132 Lyrics Promoting Violence Should COST August 31, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Trust that extra police presence and loss of business to businesses will be billed to the concert promoter. Concord should, based on violence associated with prior performances of an “artist”, require a cash bond to cover violence by concert goers.

Why are performers that attract violent fans rewarded with the opportunity to perform at the pavilion? Send a message DON’T BOOK THEM.

City council, any of you have a spine?

133 interesting August 31, 2013 at 2:58 PM

OMG THIS WASNT RACIST AT ALLL!!
PEOPLE ENJOY THESE CONCERTS TO EITHER
1. Enjoy the music they like
2. Be at a place to get high
3. Be at a place to get drunk

AND LET ME MAKE THIS CLEAR! There are many people of DIFFERENT Ethnicity and race that GO TO THESE CONCERTS!

LAST YEAR… AFTER a RAP CONCERT SAFEWAY HAD THEFT ISSUES!

IF there wasn’t an issue last year MAYBE just MAYBE safeway would have stayed opened Because I believe concerts do give that safeway a lot of business.

People make ethical decision based on the greater good for the community.

134 guest August 31, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Good job CPD. I live nearby and drove two laps through Kirker Pass a little after 11pm just to see what I could. I saw dirtbags surrounded by cops, being told in no uncertain terms, to get the hell out of my neighborhood and I liked it. I don’t want thug concerts in my area ever again.

As for profiling, that’s a good thing, and it’s an instinct we possess that helps living things stay alive. Does a bobcat saunter up to a momma bear with cubs? or does it profile momma bear and change course, choosing safety? Does a ground squirrel profile the hawk above? Does a community profile concert-goers? Yes, they do. For each event they do. And for this concert the community said ‘Give us your money, thank you. Now get the hell out!” Too bad they were here in the first place. With better Pavilion management better acts ,with better, more civilized people would attend and the city of Concord would generate more revenue. Why the Pavilion can’t secure the same acts that play Wente, Mountain Winery, or consistently draw decent people…I don’t know.

135 @ Guest August 31, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Have wondered the same thing, why the Pavilion can’t draw better acts. Every year, I look at Wente’s lineup and sigh. Waste of a great concert venue….the money is here to support great music, now just book some good artists.

136 Paul August 31, 2013 at 3:30 PM

You are right on the money, Dennis #24.

137 Paul August 31, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Sorry – Dennis #124

138 Paul August 31, 2013 at 3:31 PM

You are right on the money, Dennis #124.

139 Morgan Freeman August 31, 2013 at 3:49 PM

racist? did you see any purple color people go in, what about orange people or green people? NO because no one was allowed in they closed down to EVERYONE. It is not a race issue stop being so self centered and thinking about your self because you are wrong.

140 Atticus Thraxx August 31, 2013 at 3:51 PM

And another thing….that Elvis Presley with his dirty talk and thrusting hips! And those Beatles? With their drugs and long hair. Disgusting!

141 A concerned citizen August 31, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Oh no, too many black people in Clayton. They might get high and steal all our food. Better lock the doors. Racist SOBs.

142 Yall will never be happy August 31, 2013 at 4:28 PM

You would all be singing a different tune if these measures would not have been taken and some stupid crap went down in claycord after that rap concert. All you idiots would be on here crying and whining asking why were measures not taken to prevent this……. nothing but a bunch of hypocrites. So shut up already.

143 9 deuce daisy August 31, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Get over it, folks. Thats a massive amount of people not usually hanging out in the area. I’ve worked at that particular Safeway before and have been on shift during Pavilion shows, when large crowds of people come in… and some help themselves… make messes…. etc etc. Best to avoid any trouble all together.

144 Lorelei August 31, 2013 at 4:45 PM

If this venue is city-owned, then the Concord City Council should have final approval over which acts are invited into our City. If not, give the contract to someone who can manage it effectively. That Pavilion has been a winner before and can be a winner again!

145 Dave August 31, 2013 at 5:13 PM

R-E-A-L-I-T-Y= THE TRUTH HURTS!

No business needs the money that badly. They’re just being cautious due to past problems.

2009 Usher concert. (Death at a Shell Station). I happen to be driving by with my wife and kids. Great.

Deal with it people…..

146 TinFoiler August 31, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Yhe Phantom said:
“President Kennedy was assassinated by a “white” guy.
On December 14, 2012, a 20-year-old “white” guy fatally shot twenty children and six adult staff members in a mass murder at Sandy Hook Elementary School”.

YOU BELIEVE THAT???? And then you tell people to stay in School. What a Total ZOMBIE. Do your Research and STOP PARROTING what the ‘Wi Tu Lo / Ho Lee Fuk’ media feeds you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TURN OFF THE TV

147 NRA #1 fan and member August 31, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Nothing wrong with being a racist.

If I had a SOB he’ll be Trayvon Martin ROFLMAO

148 Sofa King August 31, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Hip-hop concert crowds have a well-earned reputation. If it offends you that some businesses choose to close their doors rather than deal with the people leaving a hip-hop concert, then maybe you should be doing something to change that reputation. Jumping up and down about “racial profiling” is idiotic, however. Nothing in Safeway’s actions had anything to do with race.

149 I will say it August 31, 2013 at 6:05 PM

I can’t stand “The hip hop culture”,

150 Dennis August 31, 2013 at 6:18 PM

point is that Kirker / Ygnacio was a closed corridor, whether businesses stayed open on not.

Most were closed for the night anyway.

Safeway (normally open all night) wasn’t going to get enough business to cover the cost of staying open anyhow.

They correctly chose to close, and save labor costs, for that period.

151 Phillip August 31, 2013 at 6:49 PM

“Racial profiling”?

Gimme a break! If you don’t have the facts, then you blame it all on racism….

Get over yourselves!

152 Diablo August 31, 2013 at 7:05 PM

This has to be one of the smartest moves I’ve ever heard of. I didn’t do much shopping at Safeway before but they will get all my business from this point forward.
Do you know why Police stereotype? Because it works!

153 dree August 31, 2013 at 7:19 PM

It’s not the color of the concert goers it’s the mantality. I used to go to hard rock concerts and sometimes there was extra police. It was smart not profiling.

154 I will say it! August 31, 2013 at 7:22 PM

I am of European Ancestory( white),
Martin Luther King Jr. whom I admire, said
this, “judge a man not by the color of his skin,
but the content of his character”, I’m
paraphrasing there. Lil’Wayne and his ilk
have no character. There are white people
in the same boat. I will say it again,
I can’t stand The Hip Hop culture.

155 tw August 31, 2013 at 7:30 PM

what no dui check point on ygnacio valley rd. perfect time for one
probably would have taking some weapons off the street to

156 roberto lantan August 31, 2013 at 7:54 PM

It is no suprise that this safeway made this decision after it belongs to the glass house we all know as clayton. This maybe borderline racist but after all a rap concert does bring a certain element to any city that in certain cases maybe unwanted. My only message to safeway is hire more security guards for one or two nights and save face!

157 NRA #1 fan and member August 31, 2013 at 8:02 PM

I’m no racist and don’t know much about rap and blacks, so is it safe to assume they are haters since black on black crime is at 95% and they are killing each other over nothing? Quite frankly, its good reading material and I get a smile out of it occasionally.

158 Jess August 31, 2013 at 8:47 PM

The Contra Costa Times concert reviewer liked Lil Wayne’s performance.

159 Regular guy August 31, 2013 at 9:05 PM

It’s truly troubling that some folks think the actions were racist. This was solely based on past experience with the Hip Hop culture. Until we stop providing excuses and start holding people accountable, the violence will continue…

160 Clayton Resident August 31, 2013 at 9:08 PM

As true proud Americans we should simply accept the possibility that we or members of our family may become deceased or injured by some of the fun hijinks perpetrated by rap concert goers after shows.. Just ask the guy that was MURDERED for NOTHING at the clayton shell station after the Usher concert.. I would be willing to bet there haven’t been a whole hell of alot of ransack or gunplay based murder in Clayton since then….But yeah we don’t want to make any assumptions here that would just be Scientific I mean ‘Racist’ ….. yeah thats it…I left Antioch to move to Clayton mainly because the incidences of random of Murder and mayhem were much less than Antioch…. And for some strange and unknown reason, the more people walking around with pants to the ground that there were in Antioch, the more violent crime increased….. I wonder why… I can’t figure it out… Let’s see.. I have it .. The persons committing these crimes were very angry that they could not afford a belt to pull up their pants… They then hatched a plan to start murdering people to get back at society…. So therefore it’s clear that not being able to afford a belt is the cause of murderous blood lust… We should create a program to give out FREE BELTS…This will of course solve all of these problems..

161 nelly August 31, 2013 at 9:21 PM

I am shocked some of these comments made it through. Have any of you been to a Lil Wayne concert?? I have and the majority of the crowd is NOT black. They are young and looking to have fun.

This may be racial profiling, but I just wanted to clarify that black people are not the majority in attendance…and no they’re not all from Oakland and richmond. Smh.

162 J.Edgar Hoover August 31, 2013 at 9:56 PM

The “Rev.” MLK may have had “A Dream” but this is the Reality 50 Years Later.

163 Laura Zah August 31, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Nelly, it is not the “color” of the crowd that goes to these shows, it is the gutter, street thug mentality of the people that go to these shows and their behavior that requires they be watched & supervised like juvenile delinquents.

164 Jar August 31, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Please cancel their contract at the end of December. We don’t need this activity in Concord or Clayton. Thanks CPD! Good job!

165 Spoons made me Fat September 1, 2013 at 6:33 AM

I was in Safeway years back after a Wild 107 concert festival and a mob of BLACK “people” from out of the area took over and basically looted the store. They were laughing and F-U whitey was their basic attitude. I heard one girl say “theys makin dis jus to easy forus”.

Oh yeah – and then there was the guy who got shot after a Rap concert at the Shell gas station. Anybody else remember that?

Hey people – those who don’t remember the past are condemned to repeat it. You don’t see this crap after any other venue so profile away! (or just not have these types of shows that bring this “element” into Claycord to begin with).

I choose to live here – not Oakland, Richmond or Vallejo.

btw – it’s ok to be a racist – as long as your not WHITE!

166 Duh September 1, 2013 at 7:37 AM

I don’t care ir they are pink blue or white. If the police had warning of trouble I am glad they closed the shopping areas down. Just goes to show how racist liberals are, assuming the crown was black. hahahahaha.

167 Anonymus September 1, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Say what you want Rich Black man but you moved out of that “area” for a reason… and call our kids want to be thugs, or whatever… but we will never ever have the crime rate that oakland richmond, or pinole, san pablo. Why because our police departments care, because they havent given up on us, like the police officers out in your neck of the woods. They know you all people like to shoot each other, so why bother.. thats why they code shootings low proprity because they just want you all to be able to shoot each other scrap up the bodies, and call it a day… So enjoy our 1 percent ghettoness.. while your city comes with 99% ghettoness..hahaha

168 mwo1859 September 1, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Did you folks know Hank Williams Jr is banned from the concord pavalian (or what ever you guys call it now) because the crowds are too rough

169 jw September 1, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Now THAT is very good, proactive police work, just stay on YV Blvd until you get to 680 and then just GTF outta here.

Yes, many of us remember past concerts with shootings, stabbings, looting, sideshows on Clayton Rd.

And Safeway, well played.

170 Nancy non PC and Proud of it September 3, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Best idea EVER!!! Just saved the businesses thousands in lost revenue and security fees. Not to mention the inevitable vandalism and loitering. WELL DONE SAFEWAY AND LOCAL PD!!! BRAVO!!! A pro-active approach to avoiding a lot of hassle and expense!