Traffic Jammin’ wtih Janis Mara – Window Tint, DMV Appointments, Speeding Ticket for 5MPH Over + Much More

August 26, 2013 14:00 pm · 40 comments

Traffic Jammin’ with Janis Mara – Every Monday at 2pm on Claycord.com.

TRAFFIC JAMMER: Greetings, all! This Claycord.com column is for everyone who negotiates the highways and public transit of the Bay Area. It runs every Monday at 2pm and answers your commuting and transportation questions.

Email your questions to trafficjammin@claycord.com.

COMMUTER: I am noticing a lot of people getting aftermarket dark tint on their front windows (driver’s door/passenger door). I thought that was a violation of the Vehicle Code in California.

How much tint can there be on the front windows, and does it matter if the tint is factory-installed or after-market? As a cyclist, it’s hard to make eye contact with car drivers if you can’t see their eyes. What’s the deal??

–Bicycle Rider

TRAFFIC JAMMER: Excellent question, BR! And excellent point about not being able to make eye contact with drivers through tinted windows. It’s also hard for law enforcement to see if drivers are distracted, drinking at the wheel, talking on cell phones and so forth, as well.

At least partially for these reasons, the main requirements for legal window-tinting in California are, first, that the windshield and front driver’s side and passenger’s side windows can’t have any aftermarket tinting.

Secondly, if the rear window is tinted, the vehicle must have outside rear view mirrors on both sides.

COMMUTER: I went to the DMV website Aug. 15 to set up an appointment to renew my driver’s license in person. The soonest appointment I could get was Sept. 6.

I drove to a local DMV on a Friday afternoon without an appointment and was in and out in less than an hour. The DMV keeps encouraging people to make appointments but it seems like the wise move is just showing up.

–In and Out in 45 Minutes

TRAFFIC JAMMER: In and Out, you make an excellent point. If someone needs to buy or sell a car, for example, they usually need to do it within one or two days – not in three weeks. The Jammer contacted the DMV and here’s what she was told:

“Making an appointment to visit the DMV is still the best option. The average wait time for customers with an appointment has been 6:44, while the non-appointment customers have had an average wait time of 46:05. For faster service, please make an appointment before you visit a DMV office. Please call 1-800-777-0133, during normal business hours. You can also make an appointment online: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/foa/welcome.do?localeName=en

Most vehicle registration items may be processed through the mail or Internet and do not require an in-person visit to a DMV office. Registration renewal notices for tags are mail-in, Internet or telephone only; appointments should not be made for these items.”

That’s the official word, Claycordians; needless to say, it is not mandatory to make appointments.

COMMUTER: Granddaughter got her first speeding ticket (and I hope the last). She said she was five miles over the limit in a residential area and late at night. (She has said she will cover the extra in insurance when that comes up.) When the cop gave her the ticket she told him that she thought anything up to five miles over the limit was supposed to be okay. He gave it to her anyhow.

When I asked her where she got that idea, she told me her driving instructor had told her that. I did tell her that some cops get real uptight about speeding, especially in residential areas, even in the middle of the night.

She does plan to go to traffic school when the ticket comes in the mail round about October. That might help with the insurance too.

Dorothy

TRAFFIC JAMMER: Our beloved Dorothy, one of the mainstays of Claycord, posted the above in the comments on last week’s Traffic Jammin’ column. In ensuing comments, many questions about driving five miles over the speed limit came up.

Our pal the Claycordian law enforcement officer has once again come through with a detailed explanation. Here’s the word from an officer who has been enforcing the law for more than 15 years in Claycord; if you want to know whether or not you can get away with driving five miles an hour over, be sure to read all the way to the end.

“(Disclaimer: My information is based on my 15+ years of law enforcement in Claycord. It is not legal advice.)

Do you know my favorite setup and ticket?

I like to park at the curb in a fully marked, black-and-white police car just like anyone else.  I like to park between two speed limit signs (one in each direction). I like to have a valid speed survey and/ or be on a local roadway as defined in California Vehicle Code (CVC) 40802(b)(1) et seq. and I like to use radar as speeders approach me or pass me – parked right there at the curb.  I call it hiding in plain sight!

The Speed Trap was aptly quoted in the comments and is covered in the aforementioned CVC 40802.  Likewise, a Claycordian referenced a widely applied “case law”: People v. Goulet, 13 Cal.App.4th Supp. 1

What seems to be misunderstood is the application of these concepts and the lack of details in Dear Grandma Dorothy’s small tale.

So, here we go:

A police officer may pace a vehicle anywhere at any time.  This means an officer matches a suspect’s speed and maintains the distance between the police car and the suspect’s car over a given distance.  There is no minimum distance that is required. The officer usually attests to the current calibration of the police car’s speedometer.  I have successfully prosecuted cases where I paced someone for less than a quarter-mile, as well as paced someone for several miles.

Sometimes, speeders ask, “How did you clock me?” I simply answer, “I was following you.”

In order to use radar, an officer must attend a “radar operator” school.  The radar must meet specific requirements as does the roadway.  Either the roadway meets the definition of a “local roadway” defined in CVC 40802 (uninterrupted distance, certain width, one lane in each direction) or it qualifies as having a prima facia speed limit (school zone) OR a radar survey is required.

A radar survey determines the speed that 85 percent of the vehicles are traveling or below. (If the “85th percentile” is 38 mph, then 85 percent of the vehicles surveyed are going 38 mph or slower).

According to the case law, the speed limit should be 40 or 35 mph. However, a variety of factors could allow a municipality to make the speed limit as low as 30: the accident rate of the roadway, the road conditions (horizontal or vertical curves, driveways) or traffic (bike lanes, pedestrians).

I think that the idea that 5-10mph over the speed limit is OK came from The Basic Speed Law CVC 22350.  In short, don’t drive faster than it is safe to do so.

The argument goes something like this: the 85th percentile is 38mph, and I’m driving 40-45mph.  The road is straight, the sun is out, the sky is clear, birds are singing and it’s generally a great day to be alive and go for a drive.  I am safe and the speed limit is posted at 35mph. I’m on Second Street in Anytown, Claycord, USA. (Second St is supposedly the most popular street name in the US).

Someone, somewhere allegedly won this argument in court and “beat” a speeding ticket.  This has not been repeated in my career in hundreds of appearances in Traffic Court where I have heard thousands of cases.

My argument is: you were driving over the speed limit. You were distracted by the clear sky and singing birds and not paying attention.  You were going too fast to be prepared for catastrophic failure to your vehicle or a sudden, unanticipated change in the road.  I know this is fatalistic thinking, but I’m weary of picking up the pieces in the aftermath.  And, oh yeah, it’s the rule. Take some responsibility, like Dorothy’s dear granddaughter, and own up to it.

Five over the limit seems like a slim margin. I liked the comment that maybe Granddaughter caught a break and was written for a slower speed.  Nonetheless, anything over is a violation.  Have you ever sped up to beat a red light? You made the light, but I’ll bet you were speeding. Even if it was a little bit- and it wasn’t safe.

I heard somewhere that the average driver violates over 200 laws before being pulled over. Not ticketed, just pulled over.

I have maintained about a 50/50 ratio on traffic stops.  About half the people I stop get a warning.  I am one of the most prolific ticket-writers at my police department.  I usually only ticket at 15 mph over the speed limit. That’s me. Throughout Claycord, most of my colleagues ticket at 10 mph over the speed limit.  Some do it lower.

I haven’t lost a Traffic Court case in years.

Please slow down.”

TRAFFIC JAMMER: That’s it for this week – see you next Monday. Be sure to cruise by Claycord.com at 2pm for more traffic intelligence. Remember, whether you drive, walk, bike or hop Amtrak, BART or AC Transit, Traffic Jammer Janis Mara is here to answer your questions.

Send your questions to trafficjammin@claycord.com

{ 40 comments }

1 ANON August 26, 2013 at 2:13 PM

The tint is illegal..but OK up to 30% or so– but no PD around here has a meter..it is real obvious when they are 95% & deserve a citation

2 Lori August 26, 2013 at 2:20 PM

When my daughter got her first ticket it too was for 5 mph over, but it was on the freeway, during the day. I think the officer wanted to teach a new driver a lesson but it is what it is she did admit she was going 5 mph over. As far as insurance rates going up, my daughter went to driving school, therefore it was not on her record when I got insurance bill it had not gone up at all. Maybe because if they do driving school DMV doesn’t report it to insurance???? Anyone know for sure?

3 Reality says... August 26, 2013 at 2:29 PM

If you want the tint to protect your leather, dash and reduce heat you can get a light carbon tint installed that most will not even recognize but is very effective. I have my front windshield tinted to protect against dash-fade and reduce heat…never been stopped and only those who know me know my windshield is tinted.

With a doctors note, you can get front-sides tinted. It’s like getting a medical marijuana card for “night blindness”.

(10) Sun screening devices meeting the requirements of Section 26708.2 installed on the side windows on either side of the vehicle’s front seat, if the driver or a passenger in the front seat has in his or her possession a letter or other document signed by a licensed physician and surgeon certifying that the person must be shaded from the sun due to a medical condition, or has in his or her possession a letter or other document signed by a licensed optometrist certifying that the person must be shaded from the sun due to a visual condition. The devices authorized by this paragraph shall not be used during darkness.

4 Cowellian August 26, 2013 at 2:40 PM

That’s interesting information. I haven’t had many tickets, but I’ve also never claimed that a ticket was unfair.

Now, for extra credit, what is the definition of a speed trap in California?

5 Gurn Blanston August 26, 2013 at 2:49 PM

“Speed trap” = Interstate 5… where if you observe the posted speed limit the CHP will pull you over for failing to go with the flow of traffic!

6 Rebel August 26, 2013 at 3:04 PM

I believe the legal tint for rear windows is 10%, and front drivers/passengers windows is above 50%.

7 Reality says... August 26, 2013 at 3:06 PM

From my CHP buddy, you are more prone to getting pulled over at night for going 5 mph over the speed limit then you are during the day. They are fishing for drivers who have been drinking and it’s an easy stop.

I’m also told non-working taillights or license plate lights make for an easy stop as well.

8 Dorothy August 26, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Give my thanks to “Our pal the Claycordian law enforcement officer” for his response. I think she learned her lesson and I’m glad it was during a time when there was less chance of someone walking around in that residential zone for her to “accidentally” hit.

9 Killjoy August 26, 2013 at 3:10 PM

The definition of a speed trap is if a location has marked off distances on be roadway, and timed you from point a to point b, then using the time to figure your speed, that is a speed trap.

10 Killjoy August 26, 2013 at 3:11 PM

40802. (a) A “speed trap” is either of the following:

(1) A particular section of a highway measured as to distance and with boundaries marked, designated, or otherwise determined in order that the speed of a vehicle may be calculated by securing the time it takes the vehicle to travel the known distance.

(2) A particular section of a highway with a prima facie speed limit that is provided by this code or by local ordinance under subparagraph (A) of paragraph (2) of subdivision (a) of Section 22352, or established under Section 22354, 22357, 22358, or 22358.3, if that prima facie speed limit is not justified by an engineering and traffic survey conducted within five years prior to the date of the alleged violation, and enforcement of the speed limit involves the use of radar or any other electronic device that measures the speed of moving objects. This paragraph does not apply to a local street, road, or school zone.

(b) (1) For purposes of this section, a local street or road is one that is functionally classified as “local” on the “California Road System Maps,” that are approved by the Federal Highway Administration and maintained by the Department of Transportation. When a street or road does not appear on the “California Road System Maps,” it may be defined as a “local street or road” if it primarily provides access to abutting residential property and meets the following three conditions:

(A) Roadway width of not more than 40 feet.

(B) Not more than one-half of a mile of uninterrupted length. Interruptions shall include official traffic control signals as defined in Section 445.

(C) Not more than one traffic lane in each direction.

(2) For purposes of this section “school zone” means that area approaching or passing a school building or the grounds thereof that is contiguous to a highway and on which is posted a standard “SCHOOL” warning sign, while children are going to or leaving the school either during school hours or during the noon recess period. “School zone” also includes the area approaching or passing any school grounds that are not separated from the highway by a fence, gate, or other physical barrier while the grounds are in use by children if that highway is posted with a standard “SCHOOL” warning sign.

(c) (1) When all of the following criteria are met, paragraph (2) of this subdivision shall be applicable and subdivision (a) shall not be applicable:

(A) When radar is used, the arresting officer has successfully completed a radar operator course of not less than 24 hours on the use of police traffic radar, and the course was approved and certified by the Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training.

(B) When laser or any other electronic device is used to measure the speed of moving objects, the arresting officer has successfully completed the training required in subparagraph (A) and an additional training course of not less than two hours approved and certified by the Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training.

(C) (i) The prosecution proved that the arresting officer complied with subparagraphs (A) and (B) and that an engineering and traffic survey has been conducted in accordance with subparagraph (B) of paragraph (2). The prosecution proved that, prior to the officer issuing the notice to appear, the arresting officer established that the radar, laser, or other electronic device conformed to the requirements of subparagraph (D).

(ii) The prosecution proved the speed of the accused was unsafe for the conditions present at the time of alleged violation unless the citation was for a violation of Section 22349, 22356, or 22406.

(D) The radar, laser, or other electronic device used to measure the speed of the accused meets or exceeds the minimal operational standards of the National Traffic Highway Safety Administration, and has been calibrated within the three years prior to the date of the alleged violation by an independent certified laser or radar repair and testing or calibration facility.

(2) A “speed trap” is either of the following:

(A) A particular section of a highway measured as to distance and with boundaries marked, designated, or otherwise determined in order that the speed of a vehicle may be calculated by securing the time it takes the vehicle to travel the known distance.

(B) (i) A particular section of a highway or state highway with a prima facie speed limit that is provided by this code or by local ordinance under subparagraph (A) of paragraph (2) of subdivision (a) of Section 22352, or established under Section 22354, 22357, 22358, or 22358.3, if that prima facie speed limit is not justified by an engineering and traffic survey conducted within one of the following time periods, prior to the date of the alleged violation, and enforcement of the speed limit involves the use of radar or any other electronic device that measures the speed of moving objects:

(I) Except as specified in subclause (II), seven years.

(II) If an engineering and traffic survey was conducted more than seven years prior to the date of the alleged violation, and a registered engineer evaluates the section of the highway and determines that no significant changes in roadway or traffic conditions have occurred, including, but not limited to, changes in adjoining property or land use, roadway width, or traffic volume, 10 years.

(ii) This subparagraph does not apply to a local street, road, or school zone.

Amended Sec. 49, Ch. 491, Stats. 2010. Effective January 1, 2011.

11 Killjoy August 26, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Yeah, you can beat an airplane speeding ticket using the speed trap law.
Look for the hash marks on the side of the highway where you see the “Patrolled by Aircraft” signs on the highway.

12 Anonymous August 26, 2013 at 3:14 PM

@Cowellian-
The definition of a speed trap is ultimately up to the Judge to decide. The ultimate decision involves discretion. There have been court cases where curvy roads, or other hazards were included in the traffic engineer’s justification for a lower speed limit than the 85th percentile limit. But, the determination was that the drivers can see the curvy road and if 85% are driving at a faster speed limit, it must be safe.

Part of the rationale behind the legislation is that Officers should be out driving in plain view. They are more likely to cause traffic to move at a safe speed if they are visible. If they hide, they only impact the one driver they pull over. I’m glad this Officer likes to hide “in plain sight.” According to a few legislators, it diminishes public trust when Officers hide (something I read in my research into the speed trap legislation).

My nephew is a police officer in another state. He said he automatically writes a ticket if the driver starts to cry. That seems really mean to me and could be construed as discrimination against female drivers (assuming women are more likely to cry). Other Officers appear to let the pretty, young women off with a warning (which is more like reverse discrimination).

13 MadMom August 26, 2013 at 3:14 PM

My neighbor & I were waiting to cross at a crosswalk on 6th St. A woman drove up to the stop sign, stopped then went without even seeing us. Well, she saw us when we yelled “thank you” for stopping. Her windows were tinted all the way around. I thought it was illegal. Now I know it is!
Thank you Traffic Jammer.

14 Big Fred August 26, 2013 at 3:56 PM

I’d just like to say that with windows tinted you can be a good driver, and without the tint you can still be a bad driver. I really don’t see the point of judging someone based on their tint or lack thereof. On another note, I generally drive no more than 5mph over the speed limit because I know many officers that pull over at 10mph, and I don’t want to be anywhere near that number! :)

15 NotPC August 26, 2013 at 4:10 PM

In my years spent as an LEO, I’ve never issued a citation if the individual was “obeying the spirit of the law”. Clear to moderate traffic, not too much over – then I give them a pass. Slowing down to an almost stop at a stop sign, with no traffic, also gets a pass. If there’s traffic, I warn or tag them, depending on the specifics.

Any violation of the violent kind or being a smarta$$ would get you a tag.

All this was not in California, it was the Mid-west, where the standard is, from the looks of it, more realistic in the “spirit of the law” sense. Not all of the officers in the dept. felt this way, some were beholden to “the letter of the law”, which was their right; however, those folks had few to no social contacts in the dept., and as a rule, were not well respected as officers. We felt this kind of officer gave the average LEO a bad reputation.

16 Janis Mara August 26, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Thanks to all for the awesome contribution! @Killjoy #10, your handle is so inaccurate – you are a joy :-) I will convey your thanks to the officer, @Dorothy #8! And @MadMom #13, I’m glad the woman didn’t hit you. Thanks for the kind words.

@Lori #2, if I am understanding your question correctly, yes, if you go to traffic school and submit the proper paperwork, your ticket will be masked and the insurance companies won’t know about it. There are certain qualifications, however. Hmm, think I’ll test our beloved Claycordians and ask: Under what circumstances can you attend traffic school and have your ticket masked?

17 A.Wapcaplet August 26, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Auto makers and glass Manf. Can and do
since the 90s , put a light tint in all window
glass that reduces UVA, UVB and a glare
reducer. The dark tint is not practical and
serves only one real purpose. If you want
be hidden from view. It is harder to see
what’s going on in surrounding traffic.
That’s the truth, I have vision problems
and have been told it won’t help.

18 Killjoy August 26, 2013 at 5:20 PM

If I remember correctly…..
You can attend traffic school if you were not speeding excessively. Don’t recall the actual number. Fifteen over the limit or less?
Running a stop sign or red light. I’m sure there are other minor violations you can get removed with traffic school.
You are intelligible if you have been in the last two years.
You can’t go for a DUI or anything that’s two points (such as a speed contest or exhibition of speed, etc).

19 Anonymous August 26, 2013 at 6:12 PM

I would like to add that I think the reason so few speeders prevail in court is because they come unprepared. They don’t know anything about speed traps. They haven’t gone to the City Traffic Engineer and obtained a copy of the most recent traffic survey. They haven’t obtained copies of the ticket (front and back) and the Officer’s notes, and they haven’t prepared any questions for the Officer.

When the Judge asks them if they have any questions for the Officer, they ramble on about how they might have been going such and such speed, but they definitely weren’t going the speed limit the Officer cited them driving. The Judge is likely to ask the Officer when his radar was calibrated and a few other questions. But, if the defendant hasn’t done his research and doesn’t have any questions for the Officer, it’s “case closed.”

Far more drivers would prevail in court if they knew how the court operates and what the “Judge” (Commissioner, etc.) is willing to consider.

20 Chicken Little August 26, 2013 at 6:44 PM

I believe you are eligible for traffic school every 18 months, not 2 years. And you are NOT eligible at all if you have a commercial driver’s license.

21 Truth August 26, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Now if we had everyone within a mile appart on the freeway doing 90mph wich car would a chp target for speeding? A sports car with tinted windows, or the van with no tint.. I remember back n the day race nights, had someone race me on fwy doing 140 and the guy couldn’t keep up and I was n a volvo and he was in a honda civic si.. The cop pulled him over. Why not try chase me? Lol..

22 Chris August 26, 2013 at 7:13 PM

For those of you who want the correct information, 70% or higher tint is legal in California on front windows/windshield. Rear windows can be tinted to any tint you wish, including limo tint (5%).

23 Rebecca August 26, 2013 at 7:30 PM

All this speed trap, rambling on yada, yada, yada is ridiculous!

Just go the speed limit, especially if a cop or CHP is in sight.

If you insist on going over the speed limit, make sure someone else is going faster than you. If anyone gets pulled over, it will be the other person, not you. If you insist on speeding, speed safely. If there is such a thing. Some people are better drivers than others.

If you want to tint your windows, wherever you have it done should know what’s legal. If not, go to another shop.

QUIT WHINING!

24 Anon August 26, 2013 at 8:09 PM

“I really don’t see the point of judging someone based on their tint or lack thereof.”

ell yes ..I can Judge them–they are Illegal & better then you– just ask them

25 Killjoy August 26, 2013 at 8:23 PM

It used to be (not so sure anymore) that if you can prove you drive over 25,000 miles a year, you are allowed 6 points on your license instead of just 4.

26 ClayDen August 26, 2013 at 8:45 PM

I usually figure that as long as I’m getting passed by about every third or fourth car, I’m OK. On I-5 that works out to around 80-82mph. One time I was driving south on I-5 about a third of the way to LA at around 3AM, doing around 82 when a guy came by me doing around 95. I thought “what the heck” and tucked in behind him, as it was a clear night with very little traffic. After a few minutes I got nervous and backed off. Less than 30 minutes later, I saw him on the side of the road having a conversation with a CHP Officer. I think I got to SOCAL before he did, and it probably cost me a lot less.

Back in the “good old days” when the speed limit in Nevada was “safe and prudent” I used to roll pretty fast (sometimes on a sports car rallye . I averaged 111 for an hour one time, and 100 for 400 miles. Both of these included some slowing down for towns as well as some twisties. Was it safe? Yes. I am a highly skilled driver, and was driving a capable car, with excellent tires, performance shocks, a roll bar and four point quick release harness (3″ lap belt), and a fire extinguisher that I could reach while belted in. I was also not distracted, rather I was focused on the driving. When we were on a rallye (with a mandatory tech inspection), we also wore crash helmets. I was certainly safer than more than 90% of the drivers in California doing the speed limit on the freeway.

You can go much faster then the norm safely, but it requires good judgment and must be tempered by road conditions, the capability of your car, traffic and your skill level.

27 ClayDen August 26, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Question regarding the yellow signs with the speed on them for curves: As I understand it, they are advisory only, and as long as you aren’t exceeding the speed limit, and the conditions and your vehicle are not exceeding reasonable limits, you’re OK. They seem to be for the “lowest common denominator” of car and driver capability, and it seems that a skilled driver and a capable car is not pushing it at all if you add 50% to the speed they show, as long as conditions permit.

Any officer care to enlighten?

28 Lori August 27, 2013 at 7:48 AM

Janis & Killjoy…..thanks. Killjoy I have a friend her son got a ticket for going 96 in a 55…yes 96. He was 18 at the time, first ticket. I thought he should have had license suspended, but I wasn’t the judge. He was allowed to do traffic school pay a hefty fine I believe close to 1000.00. but it was not on his record and his insurance did not go up. For 41 mph over don’t think penalty was enough thank God he didn’t kill himself or anyone else.

29 Cowellian August 27, 2013 at 10:03 AM

ClayDen, those signs are advisory, but a cop can ticket you for driving faster than conditions permit, even if it’s under the posted speed limit. And it’s purely a judgement call on the part of the cop.

30 Magnes August 27, 2013 at 12:00 PM

My brother was a cop for 26 years. He said that it’s thought of by fellow cops to be embarrassing to ticket someone doing 5 miles over the speed limit or less.

31 Killjoy August 27, 2013 at 12:15 PM

@Lori
Your friends son was lucky in many ways. Yes, lucky a judge let him go to traffic school with that high of a rate of speed, and yes, lucky he didn’t kill anyone.
My first speeding ticket (way back in 1980), I was doing 15 mph over the limit. The judge took my license for two weeks and made me do two weekends of community service. No option for traffic school.
During that community service I met a kid who got a ticket for doing 105mph on I-5. All he got was the community service.
It all depends on the judge.

32 Tinted windows August 27, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Hey bicycle rider, shut up nobody likes you.

33 Archie August 27, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Anon, tint on the front side windows is illegal. There isn’t a percentage allow etc. By the way, I understand some officers carry tint meters. Those measuring devices makes the case against you that much stronger.

34 Words to live by.......... August 27, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Archie– you are wrong..

this is correct:

35 Janis Mara August 28, 2013 at 12:17 AM

From the California Highway Patrol website:

Can I put after-market tinting on the windows of my vehicle?
The main requirements for legal window tinting in California are:

The windshield and front driver’s side and passenger’s side windows cannot receive any aftermarket tinting.
If the rear window of a vehicle is tinted, the vehicle must have outside rearview mirrors on both sides.

36 El Mobre August 28, 2013 at 1:23 AM

I don’t get it. Is he trying to say that clear skies and singing birds are distracting? What about heavy rain and high winds? Sounds like this cop hasn’t worked in a real city and has to find reasons to keep himself busy.

37 Antler August 28, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Surely like the way you know how to “cut to the chase”, Janis. Thank you!

38 KAD August 28, 2013 at 8:53 PM

DMV appointments are the way to go. I had one yesterday and was in and out in 15 minutes. In May, my husband did not have one and we were there for at least 2 hours. The wait for non-appointments yesterday was only 42 minutes. Some days are better than others. You never know,so make an appointment if you can.

39 Cowellian August 28, 2013 at 10:28 PM

The main purpose of the Tennessee DMV is to make California DMV look efficient. But my smog check is $9, and the tags cost $79. It’s not a bad trade-off.

40 Archie August 29, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Words to live by,

Don’t want to beat a dead horse, but just take a look at the California vehicle code. 26708(a)1