Two Dead Crows Found in Concord Test Positive for West Nile Virus

July 25, 2013 14:41 pm · 20 comments

Two dead crows, one found on the 10th of July near Concord Blvd. and Bailey Road, and the other found on July 21st near the corner of Clayton Rd. and Denkinger, have tested positive for the West Nile Virus.

So far this year, 11 dead birds who tested positive for the West Nile Virus have been found in Contra Costa County. The only other one in Central Contra Costa County was found in the Town of Alamo, at Danville Blvd. and Camille Ave.

For information on the West Nile Virus in CoCo County, please click HERE.

{ 20 comments }

1 senip-rickel July 25, 2013 at 2:47 PM

mmm delicious

2 Mary July 25, 2013 at 3:24 PM

OMG I need glasses. I thought it said 2 dead COWS. lol

3 Chris KAp July 25, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Just a reminder less than 100 people on average die of West Nile a year in the US, over 36,000 of the flu. If someone has the flu, gets the flu, do we freak out? Do we freak out seeing a door nob just used by someone with the flu? Yet we freak out at the sight of a dead bird? I do take West Nile seriously, and do what I can to reduce mosquito numbers etc., however, I take the flu about 360 times more seriously .

4 Really?! July 25, 2013 at 3:28 PM

senip-rickel, wow that’s mature, and so clever too. nobody will ever figure it out.

how on earth do you find the time for such posts as surely you must be busy working an important job saving lives or leading a billion dollar company or doing ground breaking research of some kind. amazing. well done sir or madam. congrats to you!

5 vh July 25, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Does that mean they will be spraying around here? I heard they are starting to find long term health effects from West Nile for some of those who are infected.

6 vh July 25, 2013 at 4:09 PM
7 Obviously Not July 25, 2013 at 4:17 PM

I would venture to guess that senip-rickel is without any meaningful employment…

What a rosel!

8 nytemuvr July 25, 2013 at 4:23 PM

@Really?! #4
Monty Python routine…..

9 nytemuvr July 25, 2013 at 4:26 PM

nytemuvr July 25, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Your comment is awaiting moderation.

@Really?! #4
Monty Python routine…..
Wrong one……

10 #1mom July 25, 2013 at 4:41 PM

i saw 2 on san miguel rd.

11 Em Dubya July 25, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Hey #4 – I retired from doing such things and now I bug people on this blog. Can I borrow your buffalo wing sauce?

12 Winter is coming... July 25, 2013 at 4:57 PM

dead crows are never a good thing on the wall.

13 Atticus Thraxx July 25, 2013 at 7:24 PM

There’s a movie out wherein Johnny Depp straps a dead crow to his head and trounces about like a fop. Or possibly, a ninny. Could be he has West Nile. Would explain all the mumbling and scarves and what not.

14 Mayate July 25, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Too bad they’re not hooded dung-beettles.

15 Woody Woodpecker July 25, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Oh God, I hope it was Heckel & Jeckel. I hate those a-a-a-assholes! a-a-a-assholes!

16 stuffandpuff July 26, 2013 at 6:54 AM

@ woody woodpecker – you are hilarious! made my day!!!

17 Lori July 26, 2013 at 8:02 AM

Lots of crows in my neighborhood lately. Who needs to be called if we run across a dead one? Claycord followers are more informative than Google :)

18 Deborah Bass July 26, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Thank you for reporting dead birds. Dead birds should be reported to the state hotline: 1-877-WNV-BIRD (1-877-968-2473) or online http://westnile.ca.gov/report_wnv.php.

Please note that not all birds will be picked up and/or tested, but each report is crucial information for mosquito control efforts. Dead birds and/or their reports help determine where mosquito control operations should be concentrated.

19 smc626 July 26, 2013 at 10:15 AM

I’m with #4 – Mmmmmmmmmmmm; and the feathers make good toothpicks! Meaningful employment = cookbook editor?

20 whatever floats your boat July 26, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Great. Now they will be spraying chemicals all up and down our streets, killing everything that flys at night, even the necessary bats. I hope I’m up at my mountain home when they decide to spray chemicals. At least they don’t spray that junk up there.