BIG Gas Leak in Alamo – Traffic on I-680 at a Standstill Approaching Walnut Creek

July 24, 2013 12:47 pm · 16 comments

The following information is from the Contra Costa Sheriff’s Office:

There is a gas leak in the area of Danville Boulevard and Stone Valley Road. An immediate evacuation has been ordered for portions of Alamo. Residents on Alamo Square Drive should leave immediately. Motorists should avoid Danville Blvd. Take only those essential items you have ready and can carry with you. Turn off all heat sources before you leave and lock your windows and doors as you leave. Pets must be in a carrier or on a leash. Stay off the phone unless you need to report a life-threatening emergency at your location. However, if you are physically unable to leave your home unassisted, call 9-1-1 for assistance.

A telephone emergency notification message has gone out to about 900 phone lines in the affected area in Alamo.

There are numerous street closures in the area.

Utility services and first responders are on scene handling the leak.

CLAYCORD NOTE: If you’re in the area, expect delays on I-680.

{ 16 comments }

1 Smokin July 24, 2013 at 12:49 PM

And don’t smoke!

2 MZ Mom July 24, 2013 at 12:56 PM

You should also avoid using your cell phone which can generate sparks.

3 jtkatec July 24, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Don’t hurt Katrina Rozelle’s!!! Oh, wait, good time to raid her store.

4 brianinmtz July 24, 2013 at 1:16 PM

that Is y use the electronic bluntz when sitting on my coch on my porch wit my 40

5 Bill July 24, 2013 at 1:17 PM

@MZ Mom, that rumor has been debunked every time it was tested.. Pretty sure you’ll be fine on your cell phone…

6 Craig Cannon July 24, 2013 at 1:52 PM

That Message went off here in North County! That’s only 10 Miles away. I guess I’m a Safe Distance!

7 Cell Phones can be a danger July 24, 2013 at 1:52 PM

@Bill – Actually, I previously worked for an oil company where I had to see pictures used in evindence – gas stations where the pumps & vehicle had ignited due to the person using their cell phone while pumping gas. It states at every pump to leave it in the car. Those are images that will NEVER leave my head. I wish it would…

8 tb July 24, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Anyoneone know if rudgear is closed?

9 Darla July 24, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Last night employees at the Safeway in Alamo had to evacuate in the middle of the night. There was a strong odor of gas in the stock area at the back of the store. PG&E came out but after running test, they said there were no leaks found and the odor went away.

10 Diane July 24, 2013 at 3:02 PM

I was at work at lawrences meats! That was scary

11 Diane July 24, 2013 at 3:04 PM

The leak i think happend during road work this afternoon..they hit the main gas line…that is what i was told

12 Teacher Wannabe July 24, 2013 at 4:20 PM

@ Cell Phones can be a danger & MZ Mom. I don’t know what urban legends you’ve been listening to, but I agree with Bill. Proven false many times.

13 chs graduate July 24, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Very weird. I got an emergency alert on my phone stating that I need to evaciate my home but I never get these alerts so I ignored it. thank God nothing happened out here in Concord!

14 Amy July 24, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Save Katrina Rozelle’s!

15 Retiree utility July 24, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Well, You all need to call PGE with your “mythbusters” (lol) discovery – PGE policy is Cell Phones are to be shut off when around gaseous area.
Of course being far away from a gas leak would make a difference.

PS – I in No way am a spokesperson or representative of PGE. My comments are mine and mine alone and do not reflect views or opinions of pge, its customers or its employees.

16 laina July 24, 2013 at 10:19 PM

What a day….I work in Alamo plaza and was told to stop what i was doing and run out the door. I’ve never ran so fast in my life lol

Hi Diane!!!