PIC: How to Make Your Bike More Secure at BART Stations in Claycord

July 22, 2013 · 21 comments

BART

Recently, we’ve been talking a lot about bike thefts at our BART stations throughout Claycord.

BART was nice enough to email Claycord.com this flyer, showing you ways to help prevent your bike from being stolen.

Click on the flyer above for a much larger view.

1 You gotta be kidding me! July 22, 2013 at 9:24 AM

I think it’s fine to give tips but it’s unrealistic to expect a cyclist to carry TWO U-Locks…beef up security, BART or create a rack on the train where cyclists can sit…

2 The Mamba July 22, 2013 at 9:26 AM

All you need to do is carry two heavy u-locks at all times. They might get your seat though….

3 Bring it ON!!!!!!!!!!!!! July 22, 2013 at 9:43 AM

The new trend is to freeze the lock then bust it with a hammer. I have tested locks. I rent storages, also have worked in storage and also been called to break open locks for people, even a couple safes believe it or not. ( Floor safes are easy to get into ) All legal, I never have stole anything if you are wondering. ) The cable’s with built in combo locks are useless basically. But not a good cable separate, with a good so called disc lock. Hammers do make noise, and thieves do not like noise, or light. So good advice up top. But a hammer can break these u locks very easy, even without freezing them. I would highly recommend two things. A good quality u lock and a good cable and a disc key lock. They may have the tools to get through one, but not two different kinds. Time is another thing thieves fear, and the cable is light enough. I know it is a hassle, but I wish I could demonstrate how easy these u lock are to break open. Most cars have a tool in them that can break most of these lock, a crow bar used to jack up your car, put in and twisted, can just about break open any locking system. Not sure what else to say, except increase your odds your bike will not be the target. And that means harder to steel without getting caught. Spray some primer on your bike maybe, make it look like something worthless? If it was me, I would buy a GPS tracking device, it would be worth the money just to catch one of these scum buckets.

4 Danielle July 22, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Since I have a reputation on this site for “not setting yourself up”, I have a suggestion. Don’t leave your bike at the BART station all day! You can’t steal what isn’t there. Criminals are opportunists. Without the opportunity….hmm!

5 Howard K Mullins III July 22, 2013 at 10:52 AM

If Bart seriously wanted to promote biking to their stations, they would provide improved security.

There are many ways Bart could provide far better security for bikes. But its easier to tell the passengers they’re on their own.

6 ClayDen July 22, 2013 at 11:09 AM

The basic problem is too many dirtbags among us.

7 Rick July 22, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Danielle-#4 kills me with her comments. I feel like I’m taking an FBI training course! I wish she’d spend some time with my naïve wife. There will always be crime, but I agree. A lot of things can easily be avoided with good judgment. People wise up through the years. Or they should anyway.

8 @Danielle July 22, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Just how do you propose people get to work? You don’t do anything at all but sit on your keyboard and spew out nonsense, idiot. The purpose of the BART was to make it easier on travelers.

9 Elwood July 22, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Crazy Uncle Joe says all you need is a shotgun.

10 Steven July 22, 2013 at 4:46 PM

I’m with Danielle, and so are a lot of other people. I have a suggestion as to “how to get to work”. 1. Drive your car directly to work. 2. If you don’t feel like driving, park your car at BART (safely). 3. If you can’t afford a car, quit spending your money on alcohol, drugs, gambling, etc., save your money and buy a car! Leaving your bike (anywhere) for a long period of time is STUPID! BART doesn’t recommend it, and either do I. If you don’t have someone to drop you off, you don’t want to take the bus, and you don’t have a car, leave your bike at BART. And see what happens. There are no victims. Only volunteers!

11 Learned the hard way July 22, 2013 at 5:04 PM

NEVER LEAVE YOUR BIKE ALONE!!! I RODE MY BIKE TO PINE HOLLOW EVERY DAY. MY MOM SAID IT WOULD BE FINE. MY DAD SAID I WAS LOOKING TO HAVE MY BIKE STOLEN. IT WAS STOLEN TWICE! I LOCKED IT UP WELL, BUT IT DIDN’T MATTER. IT WAS A LONG WALK AFTER THAT. LIKE ALMOST 2 MILES. GREAT EXERCISE. BUT IT SUCKED.

12 Teacher Wannabe July 22, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Said it before. BikeLink card. 3 cents/hr. Super secure cages.

13 posts. July 22, 2013 at 5:23 PM

I only want to slice the b’s with rays of sunshine–that will keep them from stealing my bike.

14 Cassandra July 22, 2013 at 5:27 PM

You should be able to leave your bike at Bart, as long as you lock it up well. But we don’t live in a perfect world, and crime happens everywhere. I wouldn’t leave my bike anywhere all day. It’s against my better judgment.

15 Keith July 22, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Ride your bike to work or leave it at home. Find a different way to get to Bart. What ever happened to common sense? Glad to see there are more people here who “get it” than not.

16 Sheila July 22, 2013 at 7:54 PM

ANYBODY WHO LEAVES THEIR BIKE UNATTENDED AT BART IS STUPID! IT’S PEOPLE LIKE THAT THAT DRIVE UP INSURANCE RATES AS WELL AS CRIME STATS! THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX. MORONS!!!

17 Ashley July 22, 2013 at 8:58 PM

If you’re into the “healthy” alternative, walk to BART. Bikes on BART are a pain in the a**, and leaving them at the station should be against anybody’s better judgment. Some people are more cautious than others, and I err on the side of caution.

18 Lisa July 22, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Ask your neighbor to give you a ride…lol. I couldn’t care less what people do with their bikes. Not on my radar screen!

19 Joe A July 22, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Maybe I’m a little naive or don’t know what I’m talking about so don’t troll on me too hard. But as someone who hasn’t had to use a bike as a real form of transportation since adolescence, I don’t understand the problem. If you live in the ‘burbs, which is where this blog services, then if you are using a bike to get to BART this means that you aren’t too far from the station. How you cannot own a car and live in the suburbs is beyond me, but, hey, to each his own. You probably could almost walk to BART, but fine you want to bike. It is your right.

So then this bike is just to get you from point A to point B so you can then BART and work your 8-10 hrs somewhere. You come back and do the reverse. Just like people have a commuter car, you have a commuter bike. I don’t think I’ve ever spent more than 200 bucks on a bike in my life. The one I have now I bought for like 100, 3 or so years ago. I ride it for fun and exercise in my neighborhood. The only thing I worry about are the tires. I am well in the 6 foot range and built like a Neanderthal so I’m actually worried about blowing out the tires (most standard tires seem to be only rated into the low 200 lbs). Here is where “you don’t know what you are talking” comes into play. So what if your bike gets stolen? Expect it to be stolen once a year, maybe twice. If you have a cheap bike from a used store or toy store, factor in 300-400 bucks a year as part of the privilege of riding BART. You can even tax deduct stolen property. Of course, nobody should have to do this, but I have theft insurance on my car. I don’t care if someone steals my car or vandalizes it. The worst part is the few hours of delay it causes in my life, not the actual car loss…lol. My car gets broken into once every 1-2 years. I pay a 50 dollar deductible and move on. If it is stolen, 500. The point is if you rely on something then make it as inexpensive as possible to the point that it is meaningless when lost (aka you can easily recover).

Not to mention, if you are doing what I suggest then it is pointless for BART to spend any sizable amount of funds to protect your bike. It isn’t worth it to anyone. If you are bringing a 500 to 1000 dollar bike to BART, as a tax payer who already subsidizes you, you are out of your mind if you want me to accept higher taxes to protect your Precious. Yes, that is what it will cost to have more 6 figure plus officers walk the bicycle beat. Frankly, walk or move to the city.

20 Katrina July 22, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Joe A—-I needed that laugh. A little long winded, but very valid points. I disagree with not caring if someone steals my car or vandalizes it. That should bother you. But, anyway, after reading Joe’s take on life, I forgot what I was going to type! Maybe it was along the lines of walk or drive to BART. BART shouldn’t have to spend any money on this bike thing. Aren’t bikes for kids???? Get a car or a ride from someone. Walking is always healthy!

21 Random Task July 23, 2013 at 11:00 AM

simple since concord area is a bummage capital …….gather the bums and pay em to guard the bikes if they do not watch and or bikes disappear no wages ……since they obviously want money for booze and can continue to bummage while getting paid for security …..the likely hood of em doing their job …would be great …….as well as maybe a few would get a liking to earning …and would then like to earn more money by seeking employment skills through free programs that not only teach but dress you for success …….just a thought ….not a good one but any and all make that much easier to see