Slight Chance of Rain & Thunder Heading to the Bay Area on Monday & Tuesday

July 21, 2013 · 15 comments

A tropical weather system bringing rain to parts of the Southwest this weekend could push north to the Bay Area on Monday and Tuesday,
according to the National Weather Service.

The “monsoonal” air mass today brought heavy rain to portions of Arizona, and scattered dry lightning was reported in the hills around San
Diego, forecaster Diana Henderson said.

Some scattered light showers and a slight chance of thunderstorms could reach parts of the Bay Area on Monday and last into Tuesday, Henderson said.

High clouds associated with the system today were reported around the southern portion of Monterey County, she said.

A tropical storm system coming from the south is not unusual for the Bay Area at this time of year, Henderson said.

© 2013 by Bay City News, Inc. — Republication, Rebroadcast or any other Reuse without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.

1 EdiBirsan July 21, 2013 at 4:27 PM

And here we all thought it was against the law in the Bay Area to rain in the summer!

2 Enfield303 July 21, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Right on, bring it!!!

3 Lawyer Up July 21, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Californians are total wusses when it comes to rain.. I crack up every time KTVU brings up their “Stormwatch” graphics for sprinkles and mist.

Quite a knee slapper.

4 bluebird July 21, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Strange weather this year! This is cause for concern because of the possibility of fires starting from lightning strikes. We will not get enough moisture to combat the dryness.

Does everyone remember to turn on their headlights when driving in the rain? If the windshield wipers are needed, then so are your headlights.

5 shmo July 21, 2013 at 7:43 PM

I’ll believe it when I see it.

6 BCuzItzClaycord July 21, 2013 at 8:23 PM

How I miss summer thunder & lightening storms…………..

7 Bring it ON!!!!!!!!!!!!! July 21, 2013 at 8:48 PM

slight chance. But possible. There will be, already is in the mountains. This is the best avauable weather info for the west coast, you can put the satilite in motion and see the movement, and also the different factors at work creating this. I relate it to sports, and trust me, i am rooting for some excitement, which as said is possible. There will be some dry lightening here and there and fires tough, esp in the hills and mountians. But that’s nature. So keep an eye out. Check out this sight. The best weather sight for the west coast you can get. http://www.intellicast.com/Storm/Hurricane/PacificSatellite.aspx

8 Dorothy July 21, 2013 at 8:59 PM

My yard would like some of that rain if it comes.

9 Chicken Little July 21, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Oh no, GLOBAL WARMING!
Oh no, GLOBAL COOLING!
Oh no, CLIMATE CHANGE!
THE SKY IS FALLING!
Save us, Al Gore!

10 jtkatec July 22, 2013 at 9:17 AM

I’m singing in the rain, I’m singing in the rain, it’s a beautiful feeling…. la-de-da.

Love when Thor starts getting loud.

11 The Mamba July 22, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Any day that it is not 100+ is great with me.

12 ClayDen July 22, 2013 at 11:15 AM

@Lawyer Up

Having spent considerable time in San Diego, I can say that people in the Bay Area are much better drivers in the rain than in San Diego; incredible when you consider how bad most drivers are to begin with. Part of the problem is that San Diegans don’t seem to feel the need to slow down a bit and increase the distance between cars when it rains.

13 shmo July 22, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Well whatta ya know…. just the weather man trying to get us all excited for nothing. I figured as much.

14 oldgal. July 22, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Waiting for the thunder..all I see is sun.

15 BCuzItzClaycord July 22, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Lawyer Up – boy are you right. What people around here consider a “major storm” is just a drizzly day in the Pacific Northwest.
jtkatec – need to fix the Singing in the Rain quote (it is one of my favorite movies) I’m singin in the rain, just singin in the rain….what a glorious feeling…I’m happy again………